Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks, bro.

I like both Franklin and Gus more than I do Stoops. I want an innovator.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I don't think Franklin is much of an innovator, he's just one hell of a bright coach.

But I like Malzahn more than Franklin. And love both of them.

you had a good run Hank.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay, I will buy that.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I really like Gus. At first I wasn't sold on him due to the Triple Option they're currently running, but I forgot that he was also the OC when they had Cam, this shows me that he can produce a diverse offense that is tailor made to the talent on this team. This is very important as of right now we have too good of a personnel to run a WCO and I could not see us go down that road again. So that's who my pipe dream is, but I doubt we'll see him here.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I don't think he'll come here, either. But, we can hope.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

B...the coach can hand pick his QB.

You actually this Banner and Lombardi are going to let a coach pick the QB that will define their tenure here..?

Pretty much. No, I don't think the coach will have the only vote, but sure, I think the coach will have a big say.

Maybe I should have said "he will pretty much be able to hand select his QB".

Better?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ml#incart_river

Cleveland Browns and NFL A.M. Links: Blake Bortles could become the Browns' choice at QB; Browns will interview more coaches

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Central Florida junior quarterback Blake Bortles reportedly is the No. 1 quarterback on the board for a team likely to draft in the top 10, Sports Illustrated NFL writer Peter King said.

Could that team be the Cleveland Browns?

King said: "I've spoken to a team that's likely to have a top-10 pick, and they like him better than any quarterback in this draft."

Draft guru Rob Rang ranks Bortles No. 22 on his draft board.

"A prototypically built pocket passer with good awareness, athleticism and arm strength, Bortles looks the part of an NFL starting quarterback," Rang wrote. "He is methodical in his setup and delivery of the ball and is a bit inconsistent with his accuracy, but the mettle he showed in guiding UCF to several comeback victories in 2013 has scouts buzzing. Bortles isn't as polished as Bridgewater, (Derek) Carr or Manziel, but should he enter the 2014 draft a top-10 selection is not out of the question."

Bortles led the Knights to an 11-1 record during the regular season, writes Derek Harper on CBSSports.com. He threw for 3,582 yards and 25 touchdowns against nine interceptions this season while completing 67.8 percent of his passes.

Bortles fits the mode for an AFC North quarterback at 6-4, 230 pounds. Among Bortles' strengths are his excellent size, good arm strength and underrated athleticism that makes him a threat as a ballcarrier as well.

More Browns and NFL news

A catch-by-catch of wide receiver Josh Gordon's season (Cleveland.com).

Don't believe the hype when it comes to the Browns interviewing Bob Stoops (Cleveland.com).

There's at least 10 things the Browns' GM should do (Ohio.com).

The Browns may have to play the waiting game during the playoffs (Ohio.com).

This time CEO Joe Banner needs to sign the right coach (The News-Herald).

Four coaching tales that may help the Browns (CantonRep.com).

Former Browns kicker, Phil Dawson, makes biggest field goal to advance 49ers (pressdemocrat.com).

Bengals fall in playoff loss to San Diego Chargers (Cincinnati.com).

Bengals' OC Jay Gruden is prime candidate to take over in Washington (CBSSports.com).

The Browns will interview Vanderbilt coach James Franklin (ESPN.com).

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe the HC will have a say in what type of QB he needs to run his system, but not necessarily hand pick his guy.

ie.... If he wants Bridgewater and this FO tries to negotiate a deal to move up to acquire Bridgewater. When this process occurs, if the feeling is the price is simply too high, that coach won't get Bridgewater.

I believe the process is more complicated than you seem to feel it is based on your post. When a team hires and pays an entire scouting staff, a GM and a team president, I don't believe all of those resources are not fully used in terms of drafting a QB so you can simply turn over that decision to a HC.

However, I don't believe as I saw suggested by another poster, that you don't draft a QB who fits the O scheme of your HC and tell him, "Hey that's our guy, deal with it."

If that's your intent, hire a HC that fits who and what type of players you plan to draft. If you ever plan to succeed, you don't mix oil and water then take no responsibility for the outcome.

j/c

I like the Jay Gruden talk. Somebody is going to end up with a bright HC with this guy.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

McCoy, the previous OC in Denver, had a nice season in San Diego and you have to admit, his offense was way more productive than Norv's. They didn't take nearly as many sacks and Rivers played much, much better.

I've been thinking about that recently. I loved our coaching hires from last year, but all three teams: Carolina, San Diego, and Arizona improved w/out those guys. I'm not sure if there is a correlation there, but it is something to think about.

Definately something to think about. McCoy and Arians crossed my mind this weekend.

What is the new skill set of a high level NFL coach?

I'm looking at the Harbaugh's, Carroll, McCoy, Kelly, etc...

Also, some ol school guys are still in top positions.

So?

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ml#incart_river

Cleveland Browns and NFL A.M. Links: Blake Bortles could become the Browns' choice at QB; Browns will interview more coaches

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Central Florida junior quarterback Blake Bortles reportedly is the No. 1 quarterback on the board for a team likely to draft in the top 10, Sports Illustrated NFL writer Peter King said.

Could that team be the Cleveland Browns?

King said: "I've spoken to a team that's likely to have a top-10 pick, and they like him better than any quarterback in this draft."

Draft guru Rob Rang ranks Bortles No. 22 on his draft board.

"A prototypically built pocket passer with good awareness, athleticism and arm strength, Bortles looks the part of an NFL starting quarterback," Rang wrote. "He is methodical in his setup and delivery of the ball and is a bit inconsistent with his accuracy, but the mettle he showed in guiding UCF to several comeback victories in 2013 has scouts buzzing. Bortles isn't as polished as Bridgewater, (Derek) Carr or Manziel, but should he enter the 2014 draft a top-10 selection is not out of the question."

Bortles led the Knights to an 11-1 record during the regular season, writes Derek Harper on CBSSports.com. He threw for 3,582 yards and 25 touchdowns against nine interceptions this season while completing 67.8 percent of his passes.

Bortles fits the mode for an AFC North quarterback at 6-4, 230 pounds. Among Bortles' strengths are his excellent size, good arm strength and underrated athleticism that makes him a threat as a ballcarrier as well.

More Browns and NFL news

A catch-by-catch of wide receiver Josh Gordon's season (Cleveland.com).

Don't believe the hype when it comes to the Browns interviewing Bob Stoops (Cleveland.com).

There's at least 10 things the Browns' GM should do (Ohio.com).

The Browns may have to play the waiting game during the playoffs (Ohio.com).

This time CEO Joe Banner needs to sign the right coach (The News-Herald).

Four coaching tales that may help the Browns (CantonRep.com).

Former Browns kicker, Phil Dawson, makes biggest field goal to advance 49ers (pressdemocrat.com).

Bengals fall in playoff loss to San Diego Chargers (Cincinnati.com).

Bengals' OC Jay Gruden is prime candidate to take over in Washington (CBSSports.com).

The Browns will interview Vanderbilt coach James Franklin (ESPN.com).

He will be gone by the time we pick.....the jags will take him at 3.....

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Maybe, but at this point, my bet is they take Clowney or trade down to Oakland's place so Oak can take Clowney.

My guess (really early):
1) Bridgewater
2) Watkins
3) Clowney

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There's a slight Chance That It Goes

Teddy
Matthews
Clowney

Thus Leaving Us The Choice Of Johnny Or Bortles. I Think Bortles Is Tailor Made For Our Division And Our Stadium/Weather. But I Seriously Love JohnnyS Leadership Style. Will It Work In The NFL Is My Question...

V
Legend
Legend
V
It would be a mistake to rely on a slight chance.

We need to move up to at least number 2 to get our guy.

We need a QB. Don't leave it to chance, especially a slight chance.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It would be a mistake to rely on a slight chance.

We need to move up to at least number 2 to get our guy.

We need a QB. Don't leave it to chance, especially a slight chance.

I'd Tend To Agree.

I Think Jax Will Go QB And I Think We've Diddled Around With our QB Situation Far Too Long.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I saw that. But anyone wanting him will have to wait till the Broncs are done..wonder if the Browns are going to wait..

Didn't he turn down the interview request?

He's turned down any requests until the Bronco's are done in the playoffs..sorry I took so long..I can't get in here everyday.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

There's a slight Chance That It Goes

Teddy
Matthews
Clowney

Thus Leaving Us The Choice Of Johnny Or Bortles. I Think Bortles Is Tailor Made For Our Division And Our Stadium/Weather. But I Seriously Love JohnnyS Leadership Style. Will It Work In The NFL Is My Question...

More that a slight chance for sure...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

According to Cleveland.com we have requested an interview with him. I also read a report that Haslem and Co. will be at the BCS game to speak with Gus. I'm iffy on Gus (much like I was with Kelly so TTFWIW) but love Franklin....with BOB gone to H-town he is my favorite.

] Remember what I told U? Hasslehoff wants his SEC boys to get some attention.
Being from Tennessee , he feels that area is strong with football.
So he wants to look at these guys. [/color
And they should open the pool up to look at these guys.

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 01/06/14 09:48 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc

What about Bill Davis the defensive coordinator with the Eagles? He took an Eagles defense that was horrible at the beginning of the season and turned them into a very good defense by the end of the year. Why are no teams looking at him?

Here is some of his bio from the Eagles website:

With 21 years of NFL coaching experience, Bill Davis joined the Eagles in the 2013 offseason after spending the previous two sea- sons coaching the Cleveland Browns’ linebackers.

During his coaching career, Davis has held stints under Dom Capers, Bill Cowher, Vic Fangio, Dick LeBeau, Mike Nolan, Wade Phillips and Marvin Lewis. He has also helped guide eight players to the Pro Bowl: Keith Brooking, Darnell Dockett, Kevin Greene, Walt Harris, Lamar Lathon, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Antrel Rolle and Adrian Wilson.

In his two seasons in Cleveland, Davis helped transform line- backer D’Qwell Jackson into one of the most productive middle linebackers in the NFL, as he registered 277 tackles, seven sacks and three interceptions from 2011-12. In 2011, Davis oversaw a group that helped the Browns finish 10th in the NFL in total de- fense after finishing 22nd the previous season. In addition, it also marked the first time the Browns finished in the top-10 in total de- fense since 1994.

Prior to joining the Browns, Davis spent four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals, first coaching the linebackers from 2007-08 be- fore serving as the team’s defensive coordinator from 2009-10. Safety Adrian Wilson garnered Pro Bowl selections in 2009 and 2010 while defensive tackle Darnell Dockett, safety Antrel Rolle and cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie each garnered Pro Bowl honors in 2009. Under Davis’ direction, the Cardinals allowed 325 points in 2009, the fifth-lowest total for the franchise since the NFL transitioned to a 16-game schedule in 1978. In addition, the Cardinals defense allowed only 139 points on the road, tied for the fewest in franchise history since the schedule expanded in 1978. The team also tallied 21 interceptions, the team’s highest figure since 1994.

In 2010, the Cardinals recorded 12 return touchdowns, includ- ing seven fumble returns, three interception returns and two kick- off returns for touchdowns, the second-highest single-season total in NFL history. The team’s seven fumble recoveries for touchdowns set an NFL record.
Davis’ unit ranked first in the NFL in red zone scoring percent- age in 2010, allowing defenses to score on only 39.1% of their trips inside the 20.

From 2005-06, Davis served as the defensive coordinator with the San Francisco 49ers. Davis joined the San Francisco staff after one season as the New York Giants’ linebackers coach in 2004.
Before his stint with the Giants, Davis spent the previous three seasons as the Atlanta Falcons’ linebackers coach. During his tenure in Atlanta, linebacker Keith Brooking was selected to the Pro Bowl in each of his three seasons under Davis.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/coaches/bill-davis/c2bb7bd1-1cf8-4374-a8eb-8675b630a7ee

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
are we even interviewing anybody?

Ok we spoke to Bowles ( rooney Rule) and Mcdaniels, supposedly we have interest in Malzohn and Gase.... meanwhile other teams are looking at:

Whisenhunt
Bowles
Quinn
Caldwell
Zimmer
Gruden
Munchak
Fewell
Roman
Bisacia
Gase

and probbaly others... seems to me that leaving no stone unturned shold be more than kicking rocks in the Muni lot, and yet we seem to be doing nothing, or very little, guess the hire has already been made... damn if this doesnt feel like Holmgren 2.0 and his Shurmer hire Man I hope I am wrong

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Reportedly we have interviewed McDaniels, Bowles and Quinn.

Nobody has interviewed Gase, but he is on our list as well as others should he decide to interview after the Broncos season is completed.

We have supposedly asked for permission to interview Franklin but I heard that about a week ago with no subsequent follow-up.

Malzohn has been a little preoccupied. We reportedly have interest but I think he stays at Auburn.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I thought Franklin to Penn State was a done deal? Did that fizzle out?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ok add Quinn to my list, that still leaves a lot of potential candidates that we seem to be just blowing off.

Does that indicate no interest from us or the fact that these candidates have no interest in coming here? either way it is disappointing

#gmstrong

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I thought so too, that is why i did not include him in anybodys search, but i could be wrong.

#gmstrong

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I thought so too, that is why i did not include him in anybodys search, but i could be wrong.

He's an interesting guy I would like to hear more about. Everyone pimping him right now is just showing youtube videos of him motivating his guys.

You can only motivate so much. There has to be some development in there too. Can he do that?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Penn State is bringing in Munchak to interview now as well. He was their first choice when they hired O'Brien but Munchak said that he had too much loyalty to Bud Adams who gave him his start in coaching and opportunity to be the HC to take the job. Well, now that is off the table, so we'll see if the Nittany Lions still want him.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I must have missed that. I heard a few rumors but nothing substantial.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ok add Quinn to my list, that still leaves a lot of potential candidates that we seem to be just blowing off.

Does that indicate no interest from us or the fact that these candidates have no interest in coming here? either way it is disappointing

Agreed.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
We need to hire Gus Malzahn. That man is innovative and he wins wherever he coaches.

I'd draft Johnny Football to run Gus's offense.

It is time for a change and think outside the box.

M
Legend
Legend
M
jc

Browns want to interview Ben McAdoo for head coach job

Apparently, firing a young offensive assistant with no previous head coaching experience didn’t deter the Browns, because they’re going back to that well for their latest interview.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Browns are interviewing Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo for their head coaching job.

The 36-year-old McAdoo was blocked from interviewing for the Buccaneers coordinator job two years ago, when he was tight ends coach.

He was thought to be a possibility for the offensive coordinator job in Miami, where his old co-worker Joe Philbin is looking for help. But the Browns apparently have some interest in him for a bigger job, one created by firing a guy with a similar career arc in Rob Chudzinski.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/07/2236149/

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

We need to hire Gus Malzahn. That man is innovative and he wins wherever he coaches.

I'd draft Johnny Football to run Gus's offense.

It is time for a change and think outside the box.

100% - what will it take to pry him away from Auburn I wonder....I know if i was successful in college the nfl would be waaay down on my wish list... this guy can write his own ticket there for years.

then again I could be a conspiracy guy and say we are just throwing college names out there (Malzohn and franklin) so people think we are doing due deligence, and we know they are not going anywhere ( ie Stoops).

#gmstrong

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Definitely would love to hear we hired Malzahn. He's the guy I want and would be a lot more satisfying than McDaniels (ugh) or some other young coordinator that has absolutely no head coaching experience. I still fail to see why we want to hire people with no HC experience. I know there comes a time and point where people deserve a shot but come on. Don't do it with our organization. We don't have time for some "maybe" experiment where the guy either knows how to be a HC or he doesn't.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
E
Legend
Legend
E
Once they hire a coach and head into FA and on to the draft things should settle down.

yeah thats probably where I'll start getting excited again. Look I think we have a lot of talent here and cap room (Thank you Heckert )

I don't like what just happened I think we had an excellent OC n DC to have continuity with but with all that we have at hand in foundation, draft picks and FA money - its almost the blind squirrel thing...We should be successful in 2014 regardless.

My only problem ddubbia is I think they forgot our players are Human Being and although employees the industry is based on emotion, trust and believing in the organization.

I know they jeopardized that relationship...just from the tweets, and quotes. I cannot remember that many reactions from the players. Except for maybe the guys Mangini brought in.

I'm afraid we are going to lose some of that foundation. Mack does he sign...for What? The Owner/FO just set the precedent on loyalty, stability and continuity.

Ward does he sign??? this was a D made for him...Assuming Horton gets a job as a HC or DC you think Ward will not follow him?

We never really had too many successful drafted players to re-sign but if they don't play for us does this become some vicious cycle and we end up losing our foundation?!?

That is the part most of all that worries me, getting these kids to buy in one more time.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Crazy to me that Josh McDaniels is considered a candidate for head coaching position. Based upon what? Cronyism in the first degree.

I see no report showing McDaniels being considered by any other team??

Just like no other team was interested in Weeden in the first round.

Why is it that no other team looking for head coach is interested in McDaniels?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Crazy to me that Josh McDaniels is considered a candidate for head coaching position. Based upon what? Cronyism in the first degree.

*cough* Pat Shurmur *cough*

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I know if i was successful in college the nfl would be waaay down on my wish list... this guy can write his own ticket there for years.

I'd remind him about Gene Chizik if I interviewed him in regards to this. Auburn has proved that a recent National Championship means nothing in retaining employment.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I know if i was successful in college the nfl would be waaay down on my wish list... this guy can write his own ticket there for years.

I'd remind him about Gene Chizik if I interviewed him in regards to this. Auburn has proved that a recent National Championship means nothing in retaining employment.

excellent point.... maybe a crack in the Auburn armour? Of all the names I see out there this guy is my favorite, which of course means we wont get him.... sounds like BBS ( Battered Browns Syndrome) doesnt it?

#gmstrong

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

*cough* Pat Shurmur *cough*

Like I said before.. this has the feeling of Holmgren / Shurmer 2.0 doesnt it?

#gmstrong

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

100% - what will it take to pry him away from Auburn I wonder....I know if i was successful in college the nfl would be waaay down on my wish list... this guy can write his own ticket there for years.

I never understood the draw of the NFL either. Especially if you are running a good college program...

College towns are cool towns to live in, you get to control the media, you don't have to put in 18 hour days, and you're not dealing with multi-million dollar egomaniacs. I know college football players have their issues as well (they're 18-22 year olds, of course they do) but it's the lesser of two evils.

I think you get more rope too. You usually get a few years. The NFL is now becoming a 1-2 year show me what you can do league.

I can understand Nick Saban going from Alabama to Texas (even though it didn't happen) because I think his job would have gotten easier, but when I look back on him possibly going back to the NFL, it just didn't make sense. I think Nick knows he makes a huge impact at the collegiate level.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

heck, Auburn might fire him for losing in the National Title game!

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I had similar thoughts
McD = Shurmur

I do think he has a better football mind and he does have that one stint already as HC.

But similar that its the tree of the GM...who didn't have a say in the Chud hire - Haslam and Banner did those interviews. So considering Haslam say that was such a big mistake probably he gives Lombardi the reigns on the hire. Another reason I am 99% sure its McD...I have a lot more hope for McD than Shurmur cause Holmgren wanted control of the offensive make up...McD should have a free hand.

The biggest peeve I got on McD is that as mentioned I think getting the kids back on board believing is so so important...and he was the type that couldn't win over players that much in Denver...will it be more of the same?

JMHO - but yeah I don't see his name mentioned much outside of coming here.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who's going to be the new HC?

Link Copied to Clipboard