Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
Glad that McDaniels removed himself. didn't want anything to do with him here.

They just better get it right whoever they pick to be next coach.

will be interesting to see who the oc and dc are going to be also.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Not sure what you mean about the Mangini comparison?

Me neither... I totally meant Butch Davis...Not much of an excuse... but age and the fact I been plowing and salting snow at all times of the day and night has me more confused than normal...which doesn't say a lot...

Vers... the guy is 24 -15... whats so special about that ?

Butch was 63-43 in collage and 24-34 in the NFL......

I guess that's my comparison...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh............okay. LOL

His record is special because 24 and 15 looks pretty darn good considering Vandy was:

4 and 20 in the two previous years before Franklin got there and they have been perennial losers for decades. Do a search.............you'll see.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I did do a search...maybe I need to go into more depth... being 4-4 in their conference is better than what the Browns did in theirs....Can't argue that..

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Well my hope is Malzahn, we'll see if the Browns can pry him away from Auburn, doubtful but I still got hope.

The one guy who truely concerns me Gase, I mean most top tier QBs (Brady, Brees, Manning) could probably not use an OC and still be okay. How bad can you look when Peyton Manning is your QB leading an offense with 3 plus WRs, a plus TE and a plus RB.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

Penn State has offered Franklin its HC job.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...aching-position

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Does anyone every apologize for making outlandish statements and then being proven to be completely wrong anymore?

Ever?

I would but I am never ever wrong

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

I really can't feel any "suspense" or "excitement" in this HC search. Guess I'm in apathy-land as so many other Browns fans these days. Don't really care who we hire or not, as to me the bigger question and problem is atop of whoever will coach, that's my conclusion of Chud's (and his staff's) firing.

The fish rots from the top, that's the way I see it, so any discussion what happens below that hierarchy seems like semantics (fill in the name). We still have Jimmy, Joe and Mikey running the draft with reportedly new scouts with little actual pro scouting background. Any new HC probably won't have much say anyway.

I'm actually down to hoping that Haslam calls all shots from here on out and goes all Jerry Jones on us, be it the nomination of a HC or drafting looking over nfl.com and cbs.com prospects rankings. That was my biggest fear when they took over and is now my biggest "hope". Guess it means I don't have next to nothing of it left as of now.

Maybe they can change that with a good offseason. This is a VERY important offseason. Even more possibilities than in 2009 and 2012 since there's more cap than in those seasons. Mangini and Heckert/Holmgren failed to deliver in those, now it's do or die time for those guys. They sure didn't help themselves by installing new-everything to go along with it. They have to hit something like .750 to get out of this looking good or they need a Jake Taylor bunt after HR call with a steal of home to go along with it. You know, something "bold" that actually is productive too. Right now, their boldness has been nothing but hot air and looked pale on the field. More like a HR call followed up with a GIDP or pop up.

I guess there's always hope, but when you're down to it, as a Browns fan, you start to get the "pattern" of not expecting much feeling.

We will see, but for me the bigger stories this offseason is what happens with Mack and Ward, in FA and in the draft than who they hire as their puppet HC whom they can tell who to cut or play.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but we've interviewed four coaches so far. Bowles and Quinn both run a 4-3 defense and McAdo and James Franklin both run a WCO. Now I was hoping for some consistency in schemes as we did just waste a 1st round pick on a 3-4 OLB. It would also be nice to see us keep up with the Air Coryell so we can keep Flash as productive and playmaking as possible.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

JC

I hope that he makes them wait for a decision until after interviewing with the Browns.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

JC

I hope that he makes them wait for a decision until after interviewing with the Browns.

Said he's expected to make his decision by today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...unts-busy-week/

But Browns are interviewing Whisenhunt.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

JC

Said he's expected to make his decision by today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...unts-busy-week/

But Browns are interviewing Whisenhunt.

I don't mind Whisenhunt. He did a fabulous job while there. During the Super Bowl run, he did have some really good players though. Not sure we have the same caliber here...as yet.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Whisenhunt was in my top 3 last year. Zimmer was #1. I don't remember who the 3rd guy was so Whisenhunt may have been 2 or 3.

But I thought the Browns said they were no going to consider people they interviewed last season?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but we've interviewed four coaches so far. Bowles and Quinn both run a 4-3 defense and McAdo and James Franklin both run a WCO. Now I was hoping for some consistency in schemes as we did just waste a 1st round pick on a 3-4 OLB. It would also be nice to see us keep up with the Air Coryell so we can keep Flash as productive and playmaking as possible.

I thought Bowles was a 3-4 guy.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

He prefers the 4-3, but can run a 3-4. Arizona just wasn't set up to run the 4-3 last season.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Consistency? Good one. They just fired the HC who was supposed to be "their last for years to come". It's either a new Offense or new D, maybe even both.

And Whisenhunt? The guy they interviewed twice last year? So much for not looking at anyone from last year, lol, but who counts the lies by now...

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well my hope is Malzahn, we'll see if the Browns can pry him away from Auburn, doubtful but I still got hope.

The one guy who truely concerns me Gase, I mean most top tier QBs (Brady, Brees, Manning) could probably not use an OC and still be okay. How bad can you look when Peyton Manning is your QB leading an offense with 3 plus WRs, a plus TE and a plus RB.

I've kinda not been paying a lot of attention lately and I think I'm a little behind the times, But did Malzahn interview with the Browns yet? or is this just more media speculation.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I've kinda not been paying a lot of attention lately and I think I'm a little behind the times, But did Malzahn interview with the Browns yet? or is this just more media speculation.

Only speculation right now, and it's weak speculation. I'm starting to doubt that he's a serious candidate. What are they waiting for? You would think by now with the season over for Auburn, that there would at least be some kind of a rumor of a lined up interview. At the very least shouldn't he be interviewing with teams to get a fat raise from Auburn?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

But I thought the Browns said they were no going to consider people they interviewed last season?

and you believed something they said?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Whisenhunt was in my top 3 last year. Zimmer was #1. I don't remember who the 3rd guy was so Whisenhunt may have been 2 or 3.

That is what they said.. but I see nothing wrong in changing their minds to interview Whisenhunt.

It does beg the question though, what was he driving force behind the Mcdaniels decision, sems that either we told him... meh we think we can do better or he has that under the table wink... wink... nod .. nod deal with the Pats, many have alluded too

IMO... I think Haslam told the FO, no on Mcdaniels and do a more in depth search... good for him and us.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

Quote:

and you believed something they said?

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...f9-41759ccaa105

On if anyone on staff is a candidate for the opening and if the Browns will evaluate candidates who interviewed last year: Banner: “We’re still deciding on the first [question]. I don’t think there will be anybody from last year’s search who will be a candidate this year.”

I don't think is a lot different from "no we are not"

I remember them asking that question and Banner seemed to be thinking and trying to figure out if they planned on interviewing any of the same people, he said he didn't think they were.

Big difference.

R
Legend
Legend
R
JC...

Whisenhunt is a great interview. More evidence that Haslam is running the show and truly interested in getting the best candidate. I think Whisenhunt was close to being our coach last year, but Banner got in the way. This is a very interesting development. I keep waiting for the headline that reads "Banner no longer on Browns interview panel".

Banner and Lombardi have embarassed the hell out of Haslam. I really believe that Haslam...although I'm sure he has an ego the size of Texas....wants to get the best candidate and make the Browns winners...and he's not going to let his ego get in the way of that. He knows what he doesn't know and has opened up communication channels to seek advice outside of Banner and Lombardi, and he's listening. I am really starting to like him.

Banner, on the other hand...while also possessing an ego the size of Texas...combines that ego with arrogance. I don't think Haslam is arrogant. Banner wants to have a lot of say in everything...he wants his stamp all over every decision so he can take the credit for all the success. And he likes those decisions to be controversial so if they work out he can point to how smart he is. Whereas I think Haslam wants the Browns to be successful I think Banner wants Banner to be successful. I would love it if Haslam relegated him to business matters only.

Lombardi is just a bafoon of epic proportions. I wonder if he has an altar of Bellyache in his house. He knows nothing outside of Bill B. His affect on this organiztion concerns me the most. Where at least Banner is smart, I see no redeeming qualities in Lombardi.

Back to Whisenhunt....word is he didn't take the job last year because of Banner. Hmmm...makes me wonder why he would even interview again ....and of course his interview is a contradiction to Banners statement that no candidates from last year would be interviewed again....which was assinine to begin with.

Haslam is running this show now and honestly I think he's the best one to get this turned around.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Legend
Legend

Best news of the day. The thought of watching McDaniels running up and down the Cleveland sidelines was a poor visual.

Nobody but the Browns showed any interest in this guy? Wonder why?

Because the only thing he accomplished was under the cloak of Big Billy.

His time on his own was a disaster. He alienated everybody in Denver. Elway ran him off and look at the Broncos. Get a real head coach and a quarterback. Just what the doctor says to do and bingo.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He prefers the 4-3, but can run a 3-4. Arizona just wasn't set up to run the 4-3 last season.

CHSDawg, do you have proof Bowles prefers 4-3? I understand his schemes is a multi-front type. Bowles is great with triple A-gap pressure, and that’s almost impossible to pick up.

Bowles was a secondary coach for Dallas which ran the 3-4. When Bowles was hired by Miami they were still running the 4-3, but soon after Bowles got there they also made the conversion to a 3-4 under defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. Bowles has 3-4 experience and has seen a team through the conversion process from a 4-3 to a 3-4 base defense.

The All-22: Todd Bowles’ creativity makes Arizona’s defense the NFL’s best

Quote:

There are actually different kinds of 3-4 or 5-2 looks — the old Houston Oilers variant, which has been forwarded by teams such as the Steelers through the years, does feature more of the head-up alignment for its linemen. But there are other strains of the concept that have gained popularity — Wade Phillips has long espoused schemes in which 3-4 personnel are in one-gap alignments, and Pete Carroll has added a few wrinkles in his own hybrid defenses. What Bowles does up front is as multiple and aggressive as you’ll see from any NFL team — but somehow, the Cardinals are also able to keep things solid at the linebacker and secondary levels. As Greg Cosell of NFL Films and ESPN’s NFL Matchup told me this week, it’s because Bowles has perfectly married scheme and personnel.

“You have to start with the fact that they have some very good players,” Cosell said. “I know that’s clichéd, but they’ve got certain things that you need to have a good defense, if you’re just looking at talent. They’ve got a big-time, man-on-man cornerback in Patrick Peterson, which is critical in today’s NFL. They have two defensive linemen in Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell who are really good players. Since Daryl Washington has been back [from his four-game suspension to open the season], they have two inside linebackers in Washington and Karlos Dansby who are both very athletic. Dansby’s long and athletic, and he’s playing very well. So, if you just look at the parts needed to have a good defense, they’ve got those kinds of players. Now, you could argue that they don’t have a pure pass-rusher, but this is where Bowles comes in. This team blitzes more than any team in the NFL, and they blitz more on first down than any team in the NFL, and they’re creative with their pressures. They’re also very good with disguise.”

Cosell knows Bowles fairly well from their Philly days, and while he’s always respected Horton’s defensive concepts, he puts forth the proposition that what Arizona is doing now is even more interesting.

“I would argue that Bowles is even more creative with his pressures than Horton. Because Horton, while he was very good, he was out of that Dick LeBeau/Dom Capers school. Not that it’s not creative, but there are certain blitz concepts that all those guys use. Bowles is great with triple A-gap pressure, and that’s almost impossible to pick up.”

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So basically Bowles is running Horton's defense with better players.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

JC...

Whisenhunt is a great interview. More evidence that Haslam is running the show and truly interested in getting the best candidate. I think Whisenhunt was close to being our coach last year, but Banner got in the way. This is a very interesting development. I keep waiting for the headline that reads "Banner no longer on Browns interview panel".

Banner and Lombardi have embarassed the hell out of Haslam. I really believe that Haslam...although I'm sure he has an ego the size of Texas....wants to get the best candidate and make the Browns winners...and he's not going to let his ego get in the way of that. He knows what he doesn't know and has opened up communication channels to seek advice outside of Banner and Lombardi, and he's listening. I am really starting to like him.

Banner, on the other hand...while also possessing an ego the size of Texas...combines that ego with arrogance. I don't think Haslam is arrogant. Banner wants to have a lot of say in everything...he wants his stamp all over every decision so he can take the credit for all the success. And he likes those decisions to be controversial so if they work out he can point to how smart he is. Whereas I think Haslam wants the Browns to be successful I think Banner wants Banner to be successful. I would love it if Haslam relegated him to business matters only.

Lombardi is just a bafoon of epic proportions. I wonder if he has an altar of Bellyache in his house. He knows nothing outside of Bill B. His affect on this organiztion concerns me the most. Where at least Banner is smart, I see no redeeming qualities in Lombardi.

Back to Whisenhunt....word is he didn't take the job last year because of Banner. Hmmm...makes me wonder why he would even interview again ....and of course his interview is a contradiction to Banners statement that no candidates from last year would be interviewed again....which was assinine to begin with.

Haslam is running this show now and honestly I think he's the best one to get this turned around.

Yes, I think the Wisenhunt interview definitely prompts questions similar to what you've mentioned. Funny, that "no one will be interviewed from last year" has gone out the window. Perhaps Jimmy has not liked what he's seen so far in the candidates, the process, etc.

I think Wisenhunt would be a great candidate.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Good post. Whisenhunt would be a solid hire. And, it does appear on the surface that Haslem has taken control of the reigns. Lombardi is a complete waste of resources. He seemingly was hired because he was Banner's buddy. I can't see any other qualifications he possess. Hell, Belichik needed a GM for 3 years and didn't bother hiring this yahoo.

Like you say (paraphrasing here), Banner and Lombardi need to be told to sit down and shut-up.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

So basically Bowles is running Horton's defense with better players.

No. Horton runs a two gap scheme. Arizona DL did not like Horton's scheme because it was restricting. Primarily used to occupy lineman allowing second level to blitz predetermined gaps.

Bowles combines Wade Phillips and Romeo Crennel schemes using DL in blitz schemes. Allegedly, Bowles runs a even more aggressive defensive scheme.

Legend
Legend
Right now, you can say what you want about Haslam, but I think he's an idiot for either demanding or agreeing to firing Chud after one season.

I'm disliking the man... And Banner as well. Don't know what to think about Lombardi, he's in hiding..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Right now, you can say what you want about Haslam, but I think he's an idiot for either demanding or agreeing to firing Chud after one season.

I'm disliking the man... And Banner as well. Don't know what to think about Lombardi, he's in hiding..

I don't know why they don't bring out Lombardi for the press.... Does he have that weak of a filter and they're terrified he'll say something regrettable? Why hire him then? It's not like his track record is something to behold...

I didn't know a ton about Joe Banner before he came to the Browns, but it just seems like he's driving away more candidates then he's bringing in...

Maybe it's just the media doing this so they can prepare their eventual articles for him being gone, but I still go back to the Chip Kelly thing, and that did seem really close. What told him no? Was it the roster, or did Joe insist on him not having some control?

I'm not going to hold any protest to get this guy out of Berea, but he's going to have to win me over and he's not done that to this point. Kind of getting tired of it. Seems like he's making things more difficult.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I think that haslam realizes that his FO team is not a good as he thought, but right now there i slittle he can do save to erode some of their decision making powers and it seems he has done just that.

I have no proof but I am convinced that he was the force behind not getting Mcdaniels, just MHO of course, maybe just wishful thinking......IDK

Haslam seems a little naive on this NFL thing, but I would not call him an idiot.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Haslam seems a little naive on this NFL thing, but I would not call him an idiot.

Certainly not an idiot, in fact I believe this past season has opened his eyes somewhat. Possibly he is starting to get this dysfunctional FO into some semblance of order...JMO, of course.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
I think those of you guys who are starting to sniff Haslem as being behind some of the recent decisions on are on the right track.

Just a gut instinct.

Has it crossed any of your minds that our front office may actually be wanting to hire certain coordinators? I know what they've said. But, watching things over the past week or so...

What are the chances that they have some sort of agreement with Norv and Schwartz?

I know, its a long shot. But, its something that is in the back of my mind. I think they've at least thrown this around in their meetings.

I'll apologise Vers, if I have to.

What if it ends up being Whisenhut? Does he have it?

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I think those of you guys who are starting to sniff Haslem as being behind some of the recent decisions on are on the right track.

Just a gut instinct.

Has it crossed any of your minds that our front office may actually be wanting to hire certain coordinators? I know what they've said. But, watching things over the past week or so...

What are the chances that they have some sort of agreement with Norv and Schwartz?

I know, its a long shot. But, its something that is in the back of my mind. I think they've at least thrown this around in their meetings.

I'll apologise Vers, if I have to.

What if it ends up being Whisenhut? Does he have it?

my thing is, we already had 2 great Coords. for our team.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

my thing is, we already had 2 great Coords. for our team.

Who?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i think Norv and Horton were excellent Coords.

thats why i mean by "had".

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
To each his own opinion.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Better?

You completely missed my intent.

Y'all bash them for considering McDaniels and then bash them for not hiring McDaniels.

In case you missed it, it was McDaniels who withdrew his name, not the FO who "refused to hire him". As of now, we'll never know if the FO would have hired him or not.

And another point, most everyone, you included, claim Mary Kay is a hack. Unless and until she makes claims you wish to hear. Then suddenly she's a gifted reporter with 100% accuracy.

Many didn't want McDaniels, myself include. I'm glad he withdrew his name

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I see what you did there

I'd take that "trade": Whisenhunt as HC and Banner/Lombo get the Haslam-boot. I wasn't impressed with the Chargers Offense in week 17 vs the Chiefs backups, and am not sure he's the franchise HC we're looking for, but getting rid of those other two clowns would be worth it. Addition by subtraction. If indeed Haslam pushes accountability towards those two after the Chud-fiasco and has grown impatient, then he's a quick learner….or still a hot head

I remember many of us saying he'd need to learn quick for the Browns to get successful again. I could excuse a couple of mis-steps like Banner/Lombo if he acts quickly AND hires better evaluators to run the football side of things. This could get interesting...

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I didn't know a ton about Joe Banner before he came to the Browns, but it just seems like he's driving away more candidates then he's bringing in...

Very few if any of us knew much about Banner before he got here and of course, there was a chorus of voices saying he was going to do this or do that..

Some things he did do, like bringing in Lombardi.

As for if he's scaring away candidates for the HC position, I honestly don't know. I'd say their actions regarding Chud and the coaching staff are more the cause if candidates are being scared off. JMO of course

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who's going to be the new HC?

Link Copied to Clipboard