C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
my reply to Jester from the part 2 thread:

Quote:

I believe Knapp runs a WCO and a zone blocking scheme.

Here's his stints as OC and some basic stats:

2001-2003 San Fran
+ 2001: Scored 409 points (25.6/g), 3rd of 31 in the NFL (QB Jeff Garcia)
+ 2002: Scored 367 points (22.9/g), 13th of 32 in the NFL (QB Jeff Garcia)
+ 2003: Scored 384 points (24.0/g), 9th of 32 in the NFL. (QB Jeff Garcia)

2004-2006 Atlanta
+ 2004: Scored 340 points (21.2/g), 16th of 32 in the NFL. (QB Mike Vick)
+ 2005: Scored 351 points (21.9/g), 14th of 32 in the NFL. (QB Mike Vick)
+ 2006: Scored 292 points (18.2/g), 25th of 32 in the NFL. (QB Mike Vick)

2007-2008 Oakland
+ 2007: Scored 283 points (17.7/g), 23rd of 32 in the NFL. (QBs McCown, Culpepper)
+ 2008: Scored 263 points (16.4/g), 29th of 32 in the NFL. (QB Jamarcus Russell)

2009 Seattle
+ 2009: Scored 280 points (17.5/g), 25th of 32 in the NFL. (QB Hasselbeck)

2012 Oakland
+ 2012: Scored 290 points (18.1/g), 26th of 32 in the NFL. (QB Carson Palmer)

All numbers courtesy of http://www.pro-football-reference.com

Interestingly, both Bridgewater and Manziel would probably excel best in the WCO. Fales is probably a good fit a little later in the draft (2nd round?). maybe McCarron in 3rd?

Last edited by clwb419; 01/15/14 12:03 AM.
clwb419 #841700 01/15/14 12:04 AM
Legend
Legend
My reply to a post on the previous thread:

Quote:

Quote:

Munchak, 53, was fired by the Titans after refusing to make sweeping changes in his coaching staff -- including firing both of his coordinators. The Titans even offered Munchak a contract extension, but he refused. He went 22-26 in his three seasons as head coach, including 7-9 in 2013. The Titans have failed to make the playoffs since 2008, and haven't won a playoff game since 2003.

They lost five straight at home this season and eight of 10 overall at one point. Losing starting quarterback Jake Locker to a foot injury didn't help, but quarterback issues often don't spare the ax, as Chudzinski discovered.

“I can’t fire someone when I don’t believe they should be fired,'' Munchak told the Tennessean the day after he was fired. "Firing someone is awful. Too many people were going to be affected. "I didn’t do anything to look like I was a great, loyal guy who went above and beyond the call of duty by not firing coaches. I did what you should do and what I thought was right. For me to maintain a job and a lot of guys lose jobs on a plan I didn’t think was right, I couldn’t do that.”

“I’ll make tough decisions, but not if they’re not right.”

Munchak, a Hall of Fame guard from the Oilers/Titans, had spent 31 years with the organization as a coach and player, including 14 seasons as offensive line coach before replacing Jeff Fisher as head coach. He had only one winning season, a 9-7 campaign in 2011. He also interviewed for the Texans offensive line job and the Penn State head job before it went to Vanderbilt's James Franklin.

“I know a lot of people might not have been happy if I was back,'' he said. "But I had a plan, and I believed it was going to work. I wanted to be here. I have been here for over 30 years. These jobs are hard to come by. I know the chance of me being a head coach again in the NFL aren’t that great. Most guys get one shot at it. But I wanted to do it with the right people, and do it the right way.

“The way they wanted to adjust the staff vs. me wasn’t going to work. So we disagreed on it.”

Man, Munchak just earned a ton of respect from me. What a great example of integrity. He is a man of great character.

That act reminds me so much of what Marty did w/Model back in the day.

On the other hand, and to offer up a side for debate .......

Instead of possibly firing a few coaches, now his whole staff will almost certainly be out of work. Further, maybe the coach sometimes is too close to the situation to see the bigger picture, Perhaps the front office saw something the coach did not see, or refused to see. There is something to be said for standing on principle, however, sometimes you also have to accept that you don't always have the final word. He exercised his right to refuse to do as his boss required, and paid the price. Whether he was right, and/or whether his actions were heroic can be debated.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
J/C…

Vers… you mentioned in the previous thread to consider that Manning recommended Gase to Haslam. As previously noted, this was mentioned in the Denver Post as a possible connection. However, Manning does not strike me as a guy that would have anything negative to say about a current or former coach. It's bad business. I'm not implying Gase hasn't warranted his praise, but I'd take it with a grain of salt.

It's no different than in the real world, when a potential employer asks the question about your previous or current boss. It's always better to say something positive than bash the guy. Otherwise, it can be as a perceived negative on you. Manning knows the game…say all the right things, all the time. The NFL can be as political as anything else.

Heck, both Dungy and Manning praised Caldwell, and Dungy went so far as to recommend Caldwell for the position to the Lions. My point is, while glowing endorsements are wonderful, it isn't a precursor to future success.

Article on Caldwell

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Nobody commented on your post from the previous thread.

The one about McDaniels being back in the mix.

Not sure he ever was really out.

Legend
Legend
Ugh. I would vomit if McDaniels is selected to be our head coach.

I am really feeling worse and worse about this process. Hopefully that means that we get a guy who turns into a real superstar coach. I could deal with being really, really wrong if it means that the team becomes really, really good.

At this point, though, I am really worried.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Nobody commented on your post from the previous thread.

The one about McDaniels being back in the mix.

Not sure he ever was really out.

Shell Shocked?

C
1st String
1st String
C
I'm getting worried myself.I Think Munchak may get the job by default,as some of the choices,won't even interview for the job.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Heck, both Dungy and Manning praised Caldwell, and Dungy went so far as to recommend Caldwell for the position to the Lions. My point is, while glowing endorsements are wonderful, it isn't a precursor to future success.

Yep. Almost every head coaching candidate winds up with ringing endorsements from former so workers and players. Romeo got them here and in KC, and he was a flop in both spots.

Legend
Legend
At this point, I'm just really numb to the whole 'process.'

Will a new coaching hire truly make that much of a difference in the Browns'?

I'll make it easy for you: the answer is "No."

The myriad problems with this team can all be traced to a single reason: lack of continuity.

Without continuity, a team will never work out the fine points that make a winning franchise. Oh, they can put together a team that can win the lone SB game, but it's something else to build a team that can expect to compete in The Tournament year after year.

Building something like that requires vision, trust- and the fortitude to see it through the hard years.

Modern-day Browns have been soft, in that regard.

We haven't stuck with ANY program for more than 2-3 years since The Return, and this current bunch have only shown us that their 'trigger finger' is itchier than all the rest.

What have they done so far to make me believe that they are not just a continuation of the same whackazz 'suck-sess model' we've been following since '99?

I'll make it easy for you: nothing... yet.

New coach? New OC/DC?
Big Deal.
NONE of it will matter until this team actually commits to something.... and that can't be determined until another 2-3 years go by.

Another 2-3 years.

IMHO, this will be a wasted draft, no matter who's coming out... because the Browns' infrastructure is so broken. How can a draft board be set, if we don't yet know who will coach these players? Who the OC & DC will be? What systems they'll want to run? Who do we have that can fit those systems?

Coaching choice is almost immaterial for 2014. What's most important is this: do these guys even know what thy are doing?

I'm not certain that they do... but I'm certain that 'My Browns Patience' is at an all-time low.

They'd better not frakk this offseason up, or I'm done.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why the hell aren't we talking to Greg Roman? Guess that makes too much sense.

If it comes down to Gase or McDaniels I'd take McDaniels. At least he has experience. It's not like Banner will let him anywhere near the draft anyway. The roster is his domain. Roster blunders were McD's big problem. That and he couldn't get along with a DC for an entire season Still, Gase has been an OC for ONE season on a team where Peyton pretty much runs the show.... He may end up being an excellent HC. But his inexperience scares the hell out of me.

GREG ROMAN. Offer him a BIG deal and pray he is stupid enough to take it....
Then pick TWO quarterbacks in the first round. One of them has to be the man.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

At least he has experience.

Ugh I hate that premise.

Let's say that you have to have an operation. There are 2 doctors available to do it for you. One doctor only has 6 months experience, but so far so good. The other doctor has 5 years experience, but half of his patients die in surgery. Which doctor do you want to work on you?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If it comes down to Gase or McDaniels I'd take McDaniels. At least he has experience.

That is my initial take as well. Gase may be an excellent offensive tactician, but can he strategize? Is he a leader, a motivator? He has such a limited resume...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

If it comes down to Gase or McDaniels I'd take McDaniels. At least he has experience.

That is my initial take as well. Gase may be an excellent offensive tactician, but can he strategize? Is he a leader, a motivator? He has such a limited resume...

Hell lets just hire Schwartz AND Gase and put them in as HC1 and HC1A, then we can fire both odf them and be the only franchise to fire 4 HC in two years.

As somebody else put it I am just numb ( or is it dumb) to anything they do right now. I haven't a clue what direction they are going and will just sit back and let the buffalo chips fall where they may.

Not sure it matters anyway, I will give them some credit though... if they are trying to tank 2014 they are certainly going about it the right way and getting ahead of the curve.

Ah well when they drop a Modell at mid field this next year... Haslam will clean house anyway and the new FO will want their own coach so we can start over again... yippeeeeeeeeeeeeee

all JMHO.... so the facts police wont demand proof.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

IMHO, this will be a wasted draft, no matter who's coming out... because the Browns' infrastructure is so broken. How can a draft board be set, if we don't yet know who will coach these players? Who the OC & DC will be? What systems they'll want to run? Who do we have that can fit those systems?

Coaching choice is almost immaterial for 2014. What's most important is this: do these guys even know what thy are doing?

exactly- this is the real problem. We built for the future by accumulating all of these picks. Now we have a new staff (well, soon anyways). What system will the new guys run. They will not know our current roster. Our scouts were looking for guys for the previous system, now they are in a free fall scrambling to assess guys for a new unknown system. What a disaster. And what about Mingo, he doesn't translate well out of the 3-4, so did we just waste another first round pick if a switch to the 4-3 is made? So now we bank on Banner and Lombardi's knowledge of the current players (yikes) and hope they can project these guys to what another coach wants to do (disaster). This entire situation just pisses me off.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Will a new coaching hire truly make that much of a difference in the Browns'?

I'll make it easy for you: the answer is "No."

I disagree, the right choice could make all the difference in the world.

Quote:

Without continuity, a team will never work out the fine points that make a winning franchise. Oh, they can put together a team that can win the lone SB game, but it's something else to build a team that can expect to compete in The Tournament year after year.

Building something like that requires vision, trust- and the fortitude to see it through the hard years.

Name one. Name a team that has stuck with the same FO, the same coaching staff, the same program for a prolonged period of time while they sucked and ended up building something like that.

Quote:

The scouting department has been dissecting draft eligible players all year, the draft is still 4 months away, players are currently being scouted, evaluations are still being done... boards are still being put together.... the combine is still over a month away, we will have a staff in place by then... then 2 1/2 months after the combine to analyze, refine, and prioritize based on the new staff... I'm not saying this draft is a guaranteed success, but if it's a failure, it won't have anything to do with this coaching search..

Quote:

What's most important is this: do these guys even know what thy are doing?

Any time you have a new collection of people working together, isn't this always the most important question?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

The scouting department has been dissecting draft eligible players all year, the draft is still 4 months away, players are currently being scouted, evaluations are still being done... boards are still being put together.... the combine is still over a month away, we will have a staff in place by then... then 2 1/2 months after the combine to analyze, refine, and prioritize based on the new staff... I'm not saying this draft is a guaranteed success, but if it's a failure, it won't have anything to do with this coaching search..

Yeah I agree with DC. Still to early to be a real problem. They only have to find enough guys they like for their system to pick 10, and that's if they don't trade up at all.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

First of all, I know DC was quoting Clem here. As for the quote, there's no question about it. There's also no question that quite a few other teams/franchises haven't been able to do it. We talk about the Packers, Steelers and the Patriots as being models for this, and they are. Even the 49ers with all their Super Bowl wins have gone through ownership and coaching changes over the years. But that still leaves how many organizations that haven't done it? Quite a few.

Right now, I'll give Haslam credit for trying to get it right. Hopefully he can.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
CBFAN19 #841716 01/15/14 10:24 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What about Gary Kubiak as OC? He was an average at best HC but a darn good Offensive Coordinator.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
clwb419 #841717 01/15/14 10:29 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam updates fans on coaching search in letter

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam released a letter this morning to update fans on the team's search for its seventh full-time head coach since 1999. It was sent to season-ticket holders. The letter can be read below.

Fans,

I thought it was important to take a little bit of time to update you on our head-coach search. We have had the opportunity to speak to a number of outstanding candidates. We have purposefully been very methodical in our approach. We believe it is very important to stay disciplined to this process and to interview all of the candidates on our list. We are strongly committed to finding the right person to coach the Cleveland Browns.

We understood from the beginning that if we wanted to speak to all of the coaches on our list that we may need to wait until they have completed their participation in the playoffs. We are prepared to wait as long as necessary because this is a very important decision. Everyone in our organization is committed to finding the right leader for our team.

We believe the head coach of the Cleveland Browns to be a very attractive position. We have one of the youngest teams in the League, a roster that includes five Pro Bowlers. In addition, we have more salary-cap room than all but one NFL team. We also have three of the top 35 picks in the upcoming draft and five of the top 83 selections.

We are very much looking forward to adding a strong coach to our football team. On behalf of the Cleveland Browns, I cannot thank you enough for your valuable support and passion that you show for our team.

We look forward to communicating with you again after the search process is complete. Thank you again for your phenomenal support and loyalty.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...ksEnabled=false

Tackles are tackles.
clwb419 #841718 01/15/14 10:29 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
for the later round guys, if we do end up in some type of WCO:
Fales
Price
Murray

Those are the guys who I both like and strengths fit into the WCO. All seem to be more backup than starter material (hence the later round status).

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Ugh I hate that premise.

Let's say that you have to have an operation. There are 2 doctors available to do it for you. One doctor only has 6 months experience, but so far so good. The other doctor has 5 years experience, but half of his patients die in surgery. Which doctor do you want to work on you?

So you don't want an a coach that has no HC experience, and you don't want coaches who have had experience.....who do you want??? Bill Cower isn't coming here and I'm fairly certain Harbaugh isn't leaving the niners anytime soon. There are only two options....1) take a chance on a young guy like Gase or Quinn and hope he is special....2) take a chance on a guy who didn't succeed at his first stop like JM or MM. Both have worked well in the past and both have failed miserably.

Guys who have been successful in the NFL either are still with their teams or have next to zero percent interest in returning to that grinding lifestyle. You have to pick one of the above options 99% of the time.

Last edited by BigWillieStyle; 01/15/14 10:39 AM.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

j/c:

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam updates fans on coaching search in letter

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam released a letter this morning to update fans on the team's search for its seventh full-time head coach since 1999. It was sent to season-ticket holders. The letter can be read below.

Fans,

I thought it was important to take a little bit of time to update you on our head-coach search. We have had the opportunity to speak to a number of outstanding candidates. We have purposefully been very methodical in our approach. We believe it is very important to stay disciplined to this process and to interview all of the candidates on our list. We are strongly committed to finding the right person to coach the Cleveland Browns.

We understood from the beginning that if we wanted to speak to all of the coaches on our list that we may need to wait until they have completed their participation in the playoffs. We are prepared to wait as long as necessary because this is a very important decision. Everyone in our organization is committed to finding the right leader for our team.

We believe the head coach of the Cleveland Browns to be a very attractive position. We have one of the youngest teams in the League, a roster that includes five Pro Bowlers. In addition, we have more salary-cap room than all but one NFL team. We also have three of the top 35 picks in the upcoming draft and five of the top 83 selections.

We are very much looking forward to adding a strong coach to our football team. On behalf of the Cleveland Browns, I cannot thank you enough for your valuable support and passion that you show for our team.

We look forward to communicating with you again after the search process is complete. Thank you again for your phenomenal support and loyalty.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...ksEnabled=false

In spite of everything, I just can't help but really want him to succeed. Not just because I love the Browns, (again, in spite of everything,) but because I really believe he believes. I hope he gets it right but finding a winning head coach is very much like finding a QB; it's a crap shoot. For that reason, a guy like Gase is very scary but also very intriguing. I also really hope he can find it in his heart to interview Greg Roman. If they're really going to be methodical and not just play lip service to that notion ala Holmgren, then they can't leave him out of the mix.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Wish we could get Tony Dungy to start up a mercy mission here.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ugh I hate that premise.

So you don't want an a coach that has no HC experience, and you don't want coaches who have had experience.....who do you want??? Bill Cower isn't coming here and I'm fairly certain Harbaugh isn't leaving the niners anytime soon. There are only two options....1) take a chance on a young guy like Gase or Quinn and hope he is special....2) take a chance on a guy who didn't succeed at his first stop like JM or MM. Both have worked well in the past and both have failed miserably.

Guys who have been successful in the NFL either are still with their teams or have next to zero percent interest in returning to that grinding lifestyle. You have to pick one of the above options 99% of the time.

I want a coach with experience, but not necessarily head coaching experience. I want a coach with a wide resume, one of accomplishment over an extended period of time. I want a coach who, if he has failed elsewhere, has re-established himself on a successful path once more.

The surgeon analogy is a good one. I want a surgeon with some degree of experience to work on me. I don't want the old guy with shaky hands, and who may be stuck in the past as far as his methods of doing things. I don't want the cocky surgeon who has made huge mistakes, and who has never bothered to look at why they happened. I don't want the failed surgeon, who has lost a bunch of patients.

If I go with a younger surgeon, then I want a guy who has successfully completed his internships, and who has applied himself and done well in his assignments. If I go with an older surgeon who has failed in the past, then I want for him to have taken the time to determine why it happened, and to have established himself as a successful surgeon again.

What I don't want is the surgeon without enough experience, the older guy who has let the profession pass him by and is stuck in the past, or the guy who failed and never determined for himself why that happened.

Obviously it's not an easy selection, since we are hiring our 5th head coach in 7 years. However, I do think that there are certain criteria the team can look for that give a candidate a better chance of succeeding than other candidates.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I want a coach with experience, but not necessarily head coaching experience. I want a coach with a wide resume, one of accomplishment over an extended period of time. I want a coach who, if he has failed elsewhere, has re-established himself on a successful path once more.

I get that, but why the hate for McDaniels then? He has established himself again after the Donks job......rumored to be Bill's replacement. If that is what you want then he should be high on your list but you hate the guy...lol.

Quote:

If I go with a younger surgeon, then I want a guy who has successfully completed his internships, and who has applied himself and done well in his assignments. If I go with an older surgeon who has failed in the past, then I want for him to have taken the time to determine why it happened, and to have established himself as a successful surgeon again.

Then you should be high on Quinn. The guy has College and NFL experience and has been successful wherever he has gone.....but correct me if I'm wrong you don't like him either.

I get that people are upset by the major cluster that just happened, but expectations also have to be realistic about the new HC hire. As you mentioned, it's a crap shoot really, and IMO whomever we select at QB is a much bigger selection than whom we select at HC....and will probably determine if we deem this guy to be a genius or another goof.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
L
2nd String
2nd String
L

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
My initial wish was Gruden cause I thought he would bring something new and be able to polarize the players quickly.

then as we found out he was not looking to come back to coaching.
My next wish was Wisenhunt cause he had some success was from the Steeler tree that Haslam refers to and was the best 2nd Run at HC candidate.

Now we head into the 3rd option.
I like Gase a lot...he is new, fresh and innovative. I see a potential of Super Star HC in him like none of the other candidates.
Also he has a respected reputation with players that go beyond the norm. The type of guy players would run through a brick wall for.

So I'm gung ho for that result now its not such a risk as some might think...I sure as heck hope he gets an acceptable record his first year out but even so I think Haslam is committing to this Long Term hire. Where as I think he distanced himself with the previous choice of Chud...and Banner/Lombardi feared Haslam to defend Chud when the time came.

I would not mind growing with a HC like Gase and let power grow with him including his choice of GM in the future cough: farmer : cough

But I will back Lombardi 100% if he has a good draft n FA process as being THE GUY for GM...until then he is on thin ice in my mind (trying to figure out Haslam)

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
S
Legend
Legend
S
I don't know if crap shoot is the right phrase for that, I just think it's more about the players than the media wants you to think.

Coaching is important in the NFL, probably more important than any other sport, but you can only do so much from the sideline.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Zimmer to the Vikings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...ings-next-coach

Zimmer out of the AFC North and we have no competition for whichever co-ordinator we want to hire from the remaining playoff teams. Win/Win.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I want a coach who wins games... here.

I hate to be overly simplistic but if you go back and look at the list of highly successful coaches in the league recently, there isn't really much in common in their resumes except they have all coached football, in some capacity, somewhere...

There are just too many ups and downs and too many variables to know, with any degree of certainty, who is going to be a good NFL HC...

Would you hire a guy with this resume?
After being a position coach in college for a while he was hired as a QB coach of a team and in his first year the offense was 5th in the NFL, in his second year they regressed to 30th and then he was fired (along with the HC)....

then he went on to be a QB coach somewhere else and in his first season you had the 17th ranked offense in the NFL.. so you got promoted to OC. As OC your team made it to the super bowl in your first year but it was largely regarded as a product of your 5th ranked defense and NOT your 14th ranked offense... then the next year the offense actually improved a little but overall the team won 5 fewer games.... the following year the team started very slowly on offense with him calling the plays, then after about week 4, was stripped of his play calling duties and then the team went on to go 10-6 and make the playoffs... This guy was about to be fired when.....

he was hired away by somebody else to be QB coach/Asst. HC for 3 years and during those 3 years his offense never finished ranked higher than 13th in the NFL and the year after he left that job the offense immediately went on to finish 5th...

So would you hire Sean Payton or not? Most people, based on those stats that have been thrown around for every potential coach we've discussed would say... no way in hell. The guy was stripped of his playcalling responsibility and then the team got a lot better? That would be a dagger for most people...

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Great post, DC!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
F
Legend
Legend
F
jc.

I just hope this is all part of "getting the guy they wanted", and not turning into, "needed someone to fill the roll" so that we end up rebooting to "try to get the guy we wanted" again next year.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

jc.

I just hope this is all part of "getting the guy they wanted", and not turning into, "needed someone to fill the roll" so that we end up rebooting to "try to get the guy we wanted" again next year.

That sure is how it smells...

Arps #841732 01/15/14 01:15 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Which smell is that?
Guy we wanted or Fill in Guy?

I think it all points to guy we wanted. As was mentioned by several journalist not involved with the Browns usually when a guy like McDaniels or Browles take their name off our list it means they know that we have a first choice somewhere else.

All of course are assuming its Gase for several reasons but we could be surprised by the DC of Seahawks.

Pretty sure its Gase but then I was pretty sure it was McD when I thought Lombardi was doing the picking. This is Haslam's baby now...I think he did the firing on his own and doing this hire on his own!

All I know is he better be good at this - in his position its cause he is good at this or he inherited everything...I think he has done a lot with his business...including going back to it to get it out of the federal mess they were in.

JMHO - if we go with McD...or Munchuck I think its a OH well we have to have somebody type of thing.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

for the later round guys, if we do end up in some type of WCO:
Fales
Price
Murray

Those are the guys who I both like and strengths fit into the WCO. All seem to be more backup than starter material (hence the later round status).

I like Fales and Mettenberger a lot. I'm not sure that either one will be there when the Browns decide to select a QB. They may both be gone in Round 2, maybe early Round 3. If either one is there, I consider taking them in either Round 2 or early in Round 3.

Murray may also be gone. Although, if he's there in Round 4, I might consider taking him as well, even if I've taken Mettenberger or Fales earlier.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I know you loved Mangini. He and McDaniels seem like similar guys to me. What do you see as the difference?

cfrs15 #841735 01/15/14 01:51 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

I know you loved Mangini. He and McDaniels seem like similar guys to me. What do you see as the difference?

They're both jackasses who thought they were a lot smarter than they were.

Can't say I was unhappy when McDaniels withdrew his name.

PDR #841736 01/15/14 01:57 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well not sure if jackass is a real football argument...lol

The only negative I had on McD is that he is considered a disciplinarian???

With the firing I thought we needed a HC who could Polarize the players quickly into the new system.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

PDR #841737 01/15/14 01:58 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
There have been reports that McDaniels has been working on his people skills since he got fired from the Broncos job. That would be helpful. Mangini was a straight up dictator (Google search: Nate Jackson Eric Mangini).

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Instead of possibly firing a few coaches, now his whole staff will almost certainly be out of work.

I get the feeling he's more interested in his integrity.

Anyway, he felt he was right so he stood his ground.

He had a couple of key parts but was missing a lot. So maybe the FO needed to look in the mirror. Kinda like what the FO needed to do here.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC search, pt 3

Link Copied to Clipboard