Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
bugs #841779 01/15/14 08:51 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Third, as for OC and DC remember Munchak and Schwartz are available.

But I would look at asking Munchak to become the OL coach.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'd probably look at it a bit skeptically if we waited until after the SB and then hired someone a that was available from the start, someone that wasn't in the Playoff Hunt and could have been hired right away.

Why? And who are you speculating that could have been? I have no problem with them waiting.

The only concern that I have is that as these newly hired head coaches start to fill out their coaching staffs, we might lose out on some candidates that we could have gotten in those roles ourselves. I won't lose too much sleep over it though. The proper hiring as the HC would take less-than-ideal coordinators and turn them in to decent if not ideal coordinators.

Well that's pretty simple, not sure why you are asking. If we wait until after the SB and then hire someone that was available from the start of the search could indicate that we ended up with our second choice (perhaps for the second year in a row).

Like I said, I'd be skeptical.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Well that's pretty simple, not sure why you are asking. If we wait until after the SB and then hire someone that was available from the start of the search could indicate that we ended up with our second choice (perhaps for the second year in a row).

I'm asking because it seemed like you had a person (or two) in mind when you made the statement.

But, even if your right and they hire someone that was available sooner or from the onset, why should that matter? Haslam has come out and said that they would interview every candidate on their list before making a decision. Names might also be added to the list as they become available.

As I stated before, all OCs and DCs on all other teams are now available if they want to be considered. There are no other possible competitors at this time and the NFL has rules saying that teams cannot hinder coordinators from seeking a vertical move up the career ladder.

bugs #841782 01/15/14 09:20 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C. I wouldn't have a problem at all if they waited this long and then hired someone they interviewed at the beginning. All that would tell me is that they truly wanted to interview everyone on the list and make an educated hire.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
bugs #841783 01/15/14 09:56 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I just love how some of you put a negative spin on everything.

Phonies...........is the word that comes to mind.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

j/c:

I just love how some of you put a negative spin on everything.

Phonies...........is the word that comes to mind.

I think you're looking for pessimistic, Holden.

I don't like us letting go of Horton, but I guess it was going to happen with the new coach anyway.

CBFAN19 #841785 01/15/14 10:10 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Haslam's waiting plan might actually work. Now that all other teams have filled their coaching positions. There should be someone out their that gets desperate enough to even work with Banner and Lombardi.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, but are they desperate enough to work in a town that has a hateful media and fan base. You know, the same media and fan base that has been wrong over and over and over again.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

Third, as for OC and DC remember Munchak and Schwartz are available.

But I would look at asking Munchak to become the OL coach.

Totally agree! Being a HC stepping down to a OL...I wonder! Maybe Munchak brings Bruce Mathews in as his OL coach!

Anyway I totally disagree how the media is portraying the Browns are doing themselves a disservice waiting.

With Schwartz, he can play both 3-4 and 4-3 having Sheard. Wide nine defensive scheme I think would be ideal...Mingo and Sheard one side...Bryant and Kruger on the other.

Legend
Legend
Mike Pettine isn't some scrub. He was the guy who turned Buffalo's defense into one of the better ones in the game. Main reason they led the NFL in sacks and they were top 5 in INTs. Rex Ryan talked about him being a HC someday.

cfrs15 #841789 01/15/14 11:39 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

We waited till after the Super Bowl to hire Romeo and look how well that turned out. . .

A lot of arguments can be made that he was the best of all the bad we had.

Longest tenure
Most wins in a season
Actually got something out of braylon, derek, winslow, etc.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

We waited till after the Super Bowl to hire Romeo and look how well that turned out. . .

Tallest midget.

I was joking by the way. I am a fan of waiting as long as possible as long as we get the right guy.

cfrs15 #841791 01/15/14 11:46 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tallest midget.

I was joking by the way. I am a fan of waiting as long as possible as long as we get the right guy.

I know.

And yes, he'd still be on his toes at the urinal.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Yes, but are they desperate enough to work in a town that has a hateful media and fan base. You know, the same media and fan base that has been wrong over and over and over again.

Just how has the fan base been wrong that constantly firing coaches does not help us get better?

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Squires #841793 01/16/14 12:11 AM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Just how has the fan base been wrong that constantly firing coaches does not help us get better?

Yeah, I'm not sure how the fan base and media have been so wrong over and over about these failed head coaches when we've only had two successful seasons seasons in the past 14 years? Even if you have said "We suck." since we came back you'd be 85% accurate.

Legend
Legend
Some interesting comments from Sam Rutigliano on the coaching search and our front office.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/01/13...just-like-chud/

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #841795 01/16/14 07:22 AM
Legend
Legend
I wonder just how connected Sam is these days.

A similar report leaked a week or so ago, and was shot down as incorrect.

Who knows? Usually a coach's contract has a gag order when he is let go, yet paid his full salary. I have no idea if that applies to other coaches though, or just the media.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
CBFAN19 #841796 01/16/14 08:02 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

J/C. I wouldn't have a problem at all if they waited this long and then hired someone they interviewed at the beginning. All that would tell me is that they truly wanted to interview everyone on the list and make an educated hire.

Exactly. It's very possible that they waited until after the Super Bowl in order to interview one of the assistants that worked in it and then after the interview thought that he was not the right guy.

Waiting until after the Super Bowl only means they did their due diligence, no indication of not getting their guy and settling for someone else.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #841797 01/16/14 08:53 AM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

LOL...That made me chuckle

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I wonder if the opposite of Sam's claim is true.

If Haslam is leading the search and has final say on the hire, Banner & Lombardi will be hard-pressed to 'dump' on the new guy or try and do something different than what was promised to said new guy.

If the new guy is "Haslam's guy" he'll have as much - or more - juice than Banner & Lombardi.

Maybe Haslam really is a genius with this type of stuff...the best way to curb two egomaniacs - working with a third guy - is to make sure that the third guy has the ear and support of everyone's boss...I hope so.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm asking because it seemed like you had a person (or two) in mind when you made the statement.

Not sure how you arrived at that but OK,, However, had I had someone in mind, I'd have written the name.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If we wait until after the SB and then hire someone that was available from the start of the search could indicate that we ended up with our second choice (perhaps for the second year in a row).

But if after-the-sb-guy comes in and bombs the interview, you don't hire him anyway in order to avoid taking a PR hit. It's not like they're going to make anyone happy anyway, no matter what they do right now.

And I highly doubt Chud was their second choice, more like 4th or 5th, but I get your point.

I have no problem with them taking their time on this. I'll be patient as they hire their coach. I'll be patient as they work through the draft. I'll be patient as the QB situation plays out during camp.

My patience ends opening day. Rookie QB be damned.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Flap #841801 01/16/14 09:48 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think Gase is who they want, with a fallback plan (if Gase bombs the interview or refuses the job) of hiring Munchak or Schwartz.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. It's very possible that they waited until after the Super Bowl in order to interview one of the assistants that worked in it and then after the interview thought that he was not the right guy.

Waiting until after the Super Bowl only means they did their due diligence, no indication of not getting their guy and settling for someone else.

My only fear with waiting isn't about getting the right guy, it's about the amount of time that guy has to assemble his staff of coordinators and position coaches.. all of the coaches that have been hired are gobbling up the best available staff while we haven't hired the coach yet... that is what scares me.

yebat' Putin
Flap #841803 01/16/14 09:51 AM
Legend
Legend
Don't misunderstand me Flap, I have no issue with waiting until after the SB to hire a Coach.. No problem at all.

I don't know if Chud was the backup or not. It sure appeared they were hot after Kelly. When they didn't get them, they seemed to act like jilted lovers.. But again, that's just a perception I had at the time. I could be totally wrong.

I'm skeptical of everything these guys do now. And that's really an unfamiliar place for me to be. I'm usually trying to find ways to understand and be accepting of FO moves. I guess that comes from being a "glass half full" kinda guy. But these guys have made me to a double take.

Oh well, I don't run the team (and that's a good thing) so I've got two choices, accept and move on or start following a different team.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the jilted lovers analogy fits perfectly. We know they were after Kelly, and reportedly were hot on Marrone and O'Brien before Chud was even mentioned. It seemed like a panic move to me from the get go. That's kind of why the quick fire didn't totally surprise me.

For the record, I think your being skeptical is completely fair. I am too. Some folks are just refusing to even consider that the FO isn't just throwing darts at the wall.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Dave #841805 01/16/14 10:10 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I think Gase is who they want, with a fallback plan (if Gase bombs the interview or refuses the job) of hiring Munchak or Schwartz.

I think so too.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...Vers you lose me on the media thing - hey you lose anywhere you are going to be criticized. Fans that is really the puzzlement...we are praised over n over and its always been a positive that every coach that comes here and leaves here admire the fan base.

Other notes.

1. I think records being a evaluation tool goes so far. Especially for Asst. Coaches
Organizational skills, leadership regarding getting the most out of the players and football intelligence...whether they are an OC HC or positional asst. it is on these characters that they should be evaluated on. sometimes w/l record is so miss leading except with a 2nd chance head coach.

But that is what the interview process is...to find out what they learned and how will they approach this new task with the knowledge they have accumulated.

2. I guess the only advantage of a quick hire is the hiring of the staff...but if its waiting for the correct HC you can always look long term and over the next year or two get the correct staff in place. So I think getting the right HC is obviously more important.

3. Right now...all roads lead to Gase and we will only be as good as our QB so that is probably a very key factor. DC...there are many good DCs very smart ones.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If Haslam is leading the search

Not directing this at you specifically, but why are so many folks thinking that Haslam is directing the search? I've seen a number of people say things like this, but from what I can tell it all stems from nothing more than people hoping this is the case, and not actually backed up by anything.

As for Chud talking to candidates.... I don't know that it was "shot down". There was one article posted refuting it, but that is hardly the same as "shot down". It's just a case of one person's word vs. another's.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Not directing this at you specifically, but why are so many folks thinking that Haslam is directing the search? I've seen a number of people say things like this, but from what I can tell it all stems from nothing more than people hoping this is the case, and not actually backed up by anything.

As for Chud talking to candidates.... I don't know that it was "shot down". There was one article posted refuting it, but that is hardly the same as "shot down". It's just a case of one person's word vs. another's.

I think the article was from MKC and it read "Per an NFL Source" which means she could of talked to Banner and was pure damage control. MKC has done that in the past like she did with Chip Kelley.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I think it's assumed by the media that Chud was more on Banner than anyone else, and after that didn't go well, Jimmy has taken a more active role.

Of course we have no idea. It sounds reasonable, but I'm sure he had his input on Chud being brought in too. I mean that was his very first coach hire as owner...

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C.

Random thought: I just can't help but wonder what the reaction would have been around here if Shurmur would have been fired after 1 year. I don't for one minute think it would have been nearly as crazy as it's been because it was Chud.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
N
Legend
Legend
N
I'm not sure why everyone is so sure that we are waiting on Gase? we asked to interview Quinn and I wouldn't see why they wouldn't interview Bevell as well.

Yes, the media is doing everything they can to point us at Gase and it seems logical that we are waiting on the co-ordinators of the playoff teams. But, I don't get why the Seahawk guys have been so summarily dismissed.

#gmstrong
eotab #841812 01/16/14 11:41 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't even see a big deal in the new coach hiring their staff.

Most of these guys are networked in with friends all over the league. I believe they already have a pretty good idea who they want to hire.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

My only fear with waiting isn't about getting the right guy, it's about the amount of time that guy has to assemble his staff of coordinators and position coaches.. all of the coaches that have been hired are gobbling up the best available staff while we haven't hired the coach yet... that is what scares me.

I agree.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Although I too think well have also read in the past every HC candidate has a network of staff who wish to work with them...n vice versa.

But the problem with the late hires. If a lateral movement it must be with the blessings of the team who holds their contract and if they have no contract and are out there will they turn down coaching jobs waiting for ONE Coach to finish their Playoff run while the other 7 or 8 job offerings get taken up by other candidates?

As for the question on why people think this is on Haslam now.

Well not official but it seems the fire is on Haslam...that Banner/Lombardi was thinking long term and not urgent until Haslam put his foot down. Possibly they threw Chud under the bus.

As for Chud talking down the job to potential candidates.
1. It doesn't sound like something Chud would do...why burn the bridge when that could come up in future job considerations.

2. He's still under contract and is getting paid again this could come to court as a breech to the guaranteed portion of their contract.

3. Possibly candidates might have approached Chud to find out what happened before or after they interviewed...getting a brief or detailed report??? But most of that would be confidential I would presume which to me this all smells of "RUMOR"

Maybe they read it on WIKIPEDIA...lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #841815 01/16/14 01:22 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

3. Right now...all roads lead to Gase and we will only be as good as our QB so that is probably a very key factor. DC...there are many good DCs very smart ones.

IF we go with Gase, then logic would tell us that we are definitely ALL-IN on a top QB this year. I think this because the logic in the argument that Gase is somehow riding the Manning success express means that he needs a QB with comparable football knowledge or field generalship. Obviously you can't compare a rookie ANYBODY to Manning, but if I had to draw comparisons it would be Johnny Football that gets the nod.

However it is exactly the fact that I think we need to feel this way about Gase, that makes me think he is not in anyway our target.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

IF we go with Gase, then logic would tell us that we are definitely ALL-IN on a top QB this year. I think this because the logic in the argument that Gase is somehow riding the Manning success express means that he needs a QB with comparable football knowledge or field generalship. Obviously you can't compare a rookie ANYBODY to Manning, but if I had to draw comparisons it would be Johnny Football that gets the nod.

However it is exactly the fact that I think we need to feel this way about Gase, that makes me think he is not in anyway our target.

I think any coach is going to want a top QB this year, especially since the last guy only got a year with mostly Weeden/Campbell.

O
Legend
Legend
O
True.

I think our target is probably Dan Quinn. I think Seattles D is the best performing single unit on any NFL team this year. If I'm Haslam, that's my guy.

The problem then becomes WHO runs the O?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
He took over a top defense from Gus Bradley(#4 yards against, #1 scoring), and the team added more talent than they had last year. He has the 2nd easiest job of all of the candidates, in my opinion (Gase has Manning, he doesn't need an OC). I'm not sure why this guy is a candidate outside of he's the shiny new toy.

Last edited by clwb419; 01/16/14 01:43 PM.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC search, pt 3

Link Copied to Clipboard