Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Then there's Ross Harbaugh.

He's from Toledo, was a lifelong Browns fan- and teaches cello at "The U."

PUT HIM ON THE LIST!

He was a lifelong Browns fan? Are you suggesting we hire a zombie? Because on behalf of Banner and Lombardi, we absolutely love that idea.

CHSDawg #841861 01/17/14 12:11 AM
Legend
Legend

IS a lifelong Browns fan....

Good catch there.
LMAO!

"Coach- what was your motivation to start Weeden over Peyton today?"
"Braaaaaains...."

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
jaybird #841862 01/17/14 08:05 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
radioactive!

Anyone on here get an interview yet?

CHSDawg #841863 01/17/14 08:26 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If we're interviewing ST coaches can we pick up Brad Seely?

If you're ok with a 58 year old head coach when the season starts.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Flap #841864 01/17/14 09:25 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If we're interviewing ST coaches can we pick up Brad Seely?

If you're ok with a 58 year old head coach when the season starts.

I would have no problem with that. Not that difficult to coach into your mid to late 60s and if you get 8-10 years out of a coach, that's amazing in the NFL today... heck in Cleveland if you get 3, it's amazing...

yebat' Putin
Flap #841865 01/17/14 09:26 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
for what its worth...a little birdie has told me that we got a big time name ready to spring on everyone (probably after the last interviews?)...keep in mind its just a birdie but I thought it was still interesting.

Big time? Cowher - somebody who Haslam probably knows? Gruden who would love to turn the Browns around.?

Billick?

or just little bird poop

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Clem, I'm on it, I'll track him down and get him into contact with our FO.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
eotab #841867 01/17/14 09:50 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Interesting indeed. I just can't get on the "these guys are the dumbest people ever to run a franchise and have no plan to speak of" wagon yet. Well Haslam and Banner anyway, I have zero use for Lombardi. Idk, maybe i'm just naive, maybe not. We'll see soon enough.

You bringing up Billick got me thinking a bit. Everyone was so quick to connect McD to Lombardi's hip due to past working history, wouldn't the same connection be there for the NFLN guys? Other TV former coaches? Like, say, Mariucci, or as you said Billick, etal.

I haven't been able to shake the feeling that something was going on in the dark. Although I thought it was that either McD or Malzahn wasn't as dead as we were led to believe.

As I said in another thread. I'll be patient for the coaching search, draft, and camps. My patience ends on opening day.

Last edited by Flap; 01/17/14 09:56 AM.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
eotab #841868 01/17/14 10:03 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Cowher?Gruden?Billick?
How about someone who has been coaching in the last 5 years?

I don't get the fascination with guys who are retired.

#gmstrong
Flap #841869 01/17/14 10:04 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah...I really hated the recent fire. But Haslam doesn't appear to me as a slacker. He seems to be a go getter ergo why "HE" had to go back to the business and get them out of trouble. Football like with many of us is a passion of his. I do think his firing of Chud had several things involved.

1. He was along with the ride in the choice selection of HC last season - probably he wanted Chip Kelly and when that went down he left if up to his football guy Banner.

2. He was never in love with the selection of Chud - he's the type of guy if it was his choice (love the choice) he would be more patient with him.

3. When its not his design and it struggles he will roll up his sleeves and take over to fix it. What I think just happened.

Justified or not when he rolls up his sleeves he gets positive results this is probably throughout his life especially in business.

So he isn't concerned this time about the structure...Owner...Banner as Pres. and Lombardi as GM. He's a go getter and I think he said - I ain't waiting for you guys to get this right - I'm going to get it done and you better like it n work with it or else sayonara...

Again this could be just an inside scoop of somebody privy of knowing that Haslam has made some personal calls to so n so - for all we know it could just some friendly advice...or its really to wow us with his answer to our HC to prominence!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #841870 01/17/14 10:23 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Cleveland Browns coaching update: Adam Gase, Gus Malzahn, Dan Quinn and Josh McDaniels

Here are the some things I've heard about the Browns coaching search:

1. Gase might want to wait

The feeling in league circles is that Bob LaMonte, the agent for Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, might want to wait a year before placing his 35-year-old client in a head coaching position. It's not that he doesn't think Gase is ready for the top job -- although I've had a few folks tell me they think he needs one more year as a coordinator. It's that LaMonte is fairly certain that Gase will have multiple head coaching offers next season, with several attractive options. He'll also have some leverage if Gase receives multiple offers. This year, it's down to only the Browns, and several of LaMonte's clients have recently been fired by the Browns, including Broncos director of pro personnel Tom Heckert and Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur. LaMonte also knows that the current front office is impatient and doesn't have time for a young coach to grow into the job. That doesn't mean the Browns won't be able to land Gase if they decide he's their man. It's just one of the things they'll have to contend with at the negotiating table.

2. Auburn's Gus Malzahn isn't expected to become a candidate

The Browns are probably intrigued by college football's "it'' coach Malzahn, but he's not expected to surface in this search. He's happy at Auburn and has no plans to leave. That's too bad for the Browns, because Malzahn has all the makings of an excellent head coach, including an innovative offensive mind and fantastic leadership skills.

3. The Browns still like Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn

Word around the league is that the Browns were impressed with Quinn, 43, right from the start and still have him on their radar. He'll play the 49ers this weekend in the NFC Championship Game, and can be available as soon as Sunday night. If he advances, the Browns can conduct a second interview with him in the week before the Super Bowl. Quinn's defense ranks No. 1 in the NFL in several key categories, including total defense and points allowed. I get the sense he could get back in the mix if things don't work out with Gase.

4. Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels isn't expected to resurface in this search

A couple of national reports, including one by NFL Network's Albert Breer, have speculated that the Browns reach out to McDaniels again when the Patriots are eliminated from the playoffs and try to lure him here. McDaniels took himself out of the running, saying he loves in job in New England and wanted to stay put. A source told cleveland.com he pulled out when told he wasn't the frontrunner. Whatever the case, I'm told he won't be involved again this year. I've also been told by two league insiders that McDaniels was the Browns initial top target, while at least one has said that Gase was their man from the start. Perhaps they were tied for first.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

1. Gase might want to wait

The feeling in league circles is that Bob LaMonte, the agent for Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, might want to wait a year before placing his 35-year-old client in a head coaching position. It's not that he doesn't think Gase is ready for the top job -- although I've had a few folks tell me they think he needs one more year as a coordinator. It's that LaMonte is fairly certain that Gase will have multiple head coaching offers next season, with several attractive options. He'll also have some leverage if Gase receives multiple offers. This year, it's down to only the Browns, and several of LaMonte's clients have recently been fired by the Browns, including Broncos director of pro personnel Tom Heckert and Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur. LaMonte also knows that the current front office is impatient and doesn't have time for a young coach to grow into the job. That doesn't mean the Browns won't be able to land Gase if they decide he's their man. It's just one of the things they'll have to contend with at the negotiating table.

Hah, I forgot about that!

So, Gase not only has his agent to listen to, but he has Heckert whom he can talk to directly about the guys running our show. Given that, I would be absolutely SHOCKED if he ended up coming year... especially when you look at the likelihood of having many more and better places to land next offseason.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
I read that as how LaMonte plans to use circumstances as leverage in contract negotiations rather than just allow the Browns to have all the leverage (since there is but one job left).

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm just going on the birdie...not my personal preference.

Gruden is the only one who excites me and that is because two years ago it was reported that he had been working on a new Fusion Offense of the College Spread/Pistol with NFL flavors to it as in not to get the QB killed!

Also I know his passion and his passion to bring the Browns to become once again relevant in the NFL...the others one I just included cause I would Consider them BIG NAME POWER GUYS to be hired as per the Birdie???

Outside of them do you know of any?

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
I read it that way, but also read it that LaMonte and Heckert both would know the inside scoop on dealing with Banner and whether or not going to work for him would be a good career move.

When you take the longer view and think about what his options will be like next season, it really doesn't look like a good idea for him to come here. Not at all.

Browns is the Browns

E
Legend
Legend
E
I would think the Agent would be more for the contract not the decision of who to want to be a HC for??? As an agent the best deal is what makes his client the best $$$ and if the job is guaranteed $$$$ then he is doing his client a disservice by telling him to wait a year. What if he tears an Achilles tendon or ACL...lol

But if he does tell him not to consider the Browns job then he is doing that on behalf of his personal agenda not Gase. You never put of an achieved goal for the MAYBE's of tomorrow.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #841876 01/17/14 11:04 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Shanahan is looking for a job

(no, not wanting him, but if we are talking big name power guys, then he has to be included)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

But if he does tell him not to consider the Browns job then he is doing that on behalf of his personal agenda not Gase. You never put of an achieved goal for the MAYBE's of tomorrow.

Not necessarily.... actually, not at all. It's in his client's best interest for him to get his client the biggest and best contract that he can, in a situation that sets him up for success.

It is an incredibly easy argument to make that that situation is NOT in Cleveland, and not when there are no other job openings with teams to bid against us for his services. He and his client have better leverage next year, and the situations available to him will undoubtedly be better next year as well.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Off that list, my order...

1. Malzahn
2. Quinn
3. Gase
8. McDaniels

I like Malzahn because he's fresh and innovative and would bring more life than the others.. plus he has HC experience at a big time program

I like Quinn because I still want to focus on defense and whoever we bring in is going to have to find good coordinators... I know he has talent in Seattle but those guys just fly around the field.. what they are doing transcends just having talent.... He will need offensive help.

I like Gase but it's hard to know how much is him and how much is Manning..... and the article is right, he may have his pick of 3 or 4 jobs next year.... or Manning could get hurt in week 2 and they could go 5-11 with Brock Osweiler and his name will drop out of everybody's search... who knows.

I still can't get behind the McDaniels thing.. just seems like he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in Denver... we have a confidence problem in the locker room, I'm just guessing but there is some discontent with losing, a lot of frustration.. bringing in an abrasive personality (without Belichick to lead and keep him under control and without Brady to make him look like a genius) seems like a recipe for disaster to me.. could be totally wrong, but that's my take on it.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
it's a valid point to consider, but there is also the other side.

there is no guarantee that he will be considered the hot-shot OC destined to be a HC after next year. Peyton could get injured and the Denver offense could struggle without him which would validate concerns that their offense was all him (whether it was true or not) and put Gase on the back-burner for another year. If it was a career-ending injury (which is not all that far-fetched considering his age/history), then he'd need to find another good situation to properly get his hype up again.

It also depends on what he thinks about the QB's coming out. If he has seen them and trusts that they are good, then he might be more willing to take the chance at turning around the Browns. If he's been hearing bad things or doesn't trust we'll be able to land the guy he likes, then he's less likely to come aboard.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Very valid possibilities, but I would say that you can't be worried about whether or not your current QB will get injured (or retire if they win the SB). You have to look at the situation as it is, and make your decisions based upon that.

On the flip side, he's in a perfect situation where he is at.
The way I see it, he's a first year OC and riding high. He probably is simply ecstatic to be in the position he's in, and probably doesn't feel any immediate need to prove himself as a HC. I'd bet that he's currently just enjoying the ride of being the OC for a team that is likely headed to the SB. I'd also bet that he probably doesn't currently have some burning desire to be the guy that turns around a losing franchise..... that sort of egotism seems to comes from guys that have already "been there, done that" as a HC.

Browns is the Browns

E
Legend
Legend
E
Forgot about Shanahan...uggh I never was a big fan of his especially the 2nd time around.

Purple...There is no indication that Haslam is cheap with the Money as far as getting the best contract. I don't think he is going to let a low ball negotiation hold back from hiring the guy he thinks is right for the job...and its guaranteed...he did his duty for his client. I just think this is media people and us dawgs thinking too much into this as in AHA Gase is tied to Lamont there is friction there with the Browns hierarchy.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
I don't think that is over-thinking things at all.... these are all legit things that anybody would look at and listen to when going for any job.

If you were thinking of interviewing for a job at a company and happened to know and work closely with two people familiar with that company, are you saying that it is over-thinking it to say that you would talk to them about what it is like to work for those people??? Sorry man, but that's just crazy talk. They are talking; book it.

As for the depth of Haslam's wallet - saying that as a blanket statement is ignoring the reality of things. Haslam isn't going to just offer up the world as if the money doesn't matter to him. He's still going to not spend more than he has to - that's the way negotiations go, and if there are no other open Head Coach jobs, Gase's agent doesn't have as much leverage to walk away from a HC job offer.

I get that you want to gloss over and ignore the reality of all of this as if everything is sunshine and roses, but that just isn't the case.
It isn't all doom and gloom, either.... it's just reality, and right now it is not in our favor in regards to Gase coming here. It just really isn't his best option.

Browns is the Browns

E
Legend
Legend
E
Its hard to relate to this with real life correlations...cause there are only 32 possible jobs in the World. And its a tough chance to get one...all we were hearing last year was that surely Horton would be gone - well I think he got ONE Interview that was it??? You can ask them questions and absorb what is relevant to you but the final decision will be achieving a dream goal! I don't think anyone passes up the opportunity...as a first time HC. Hoping next year his opportunity will be better based on the advice of two people not in love with the Owner/FO. You take in the relevant info and make your decision.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
It's still a job. The process is the same. The decision is, empirically, the same - if it isn't a good fit or a better situation that what you are in now, you don't do it unless the money is simply just too good to say no.

And, just posting this because I thought it was funny:

Browns is the Browns

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Purp,

That just made my whole weekend!!!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc

So gase may wait for next year becaue more attractive positiions will be open then? Really Where?

How in the hell can it be confirmed a better position will be available next year unless they are saying ANY position would be better than Cleveland and if that is their line of thought then screw him... let him wait and good luck to him.

What if Manning retires and Denver's O goes into tthe crapper then who is gonna come knocking? If it's me I strike when the iron is hot and not wait for a maybe shot next year.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
My guess is that he will wait until their season is over, and he'll talk with Manning. If Manning doesn't retire, I would bet that he isn't leaving there until next season at the earliest. If Manning retires, then he will try to cash in while the iron is hot - assuming that we even offer him the gig.

This was his first season doing anything at the coordinator level in the NFL, he's still laying the groundwork for his career. Heck, it's pretty unheard of as it is that a 1st year coordinator is even getting talked to about being a HC.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Still like Quinn.
on the other hand, my brother in law is a Bills season ticket holder and just loves their guy who we interviewed.
Says his men will knock down walls for him.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

it's pretty unheard of as it is that a 1st year coordinator is even getting talked to about being a HC.

that's what happens when NFL teams start firing 7 coaches per year. You have to keep unearthing new candidates (or recycling old ones).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Sounds like LaMonte may be holding a little grudge...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Sounds like LaMonte may be holding a little grudge...

He's made his commissions so I doubt he's holding grudge per se, and he would make a nice commission on any deal between Gase & the Browns. It's more likely that he's just tired of dealing with the sheer ineptitude that is so pervasive within this organization, and feels Gase has a shot at a job next year with a number of quality programs. If the Browns want Gase, they'll need to bend over to get him, which is why Quinn may be the more likely candidate. And that may not be a bad thing. I am still holding out hope that they at least interview Greg Roman to see what he brings to the party.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
ehh,, maybe.

I think it comes back to who wants this job? We haven't heard from candidates or the Browns except for Haslams letter so we don't really have any way of knowing.

Time will tell I guess.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
JC

You all know we are being snookered right?

In my best conspiracy theorist agenda:

JM is still the man and has been from day one.

Haslam hears the flak from the fans that this is the same backdoor crap we got with the Lombardi hire and no real search was ever done for that rising star / great coach as promised.

In reposne to this a wink / wink nod/ nod agreement is reached with JM to announce he is pulling his name from consideration.

Now we start "interviewing" evey name we can think of,not to find a HC mind you but to appease the masss and trick them into thinking... hey these guys really are looking at many options as possible.

After the superbowl WE go back to JM and convince him to take the gig because WE determined he was the right man for the job when stacked up against all thoe candidates we talked to.

there that should get some folks pissd at me...

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
nobody would be pissed at you, because it wouldn't even be surprising if it happened.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
well we did bring him in for a 2nd interview...we must have been impressed to do so. I can see him being our fall back guy (Bill's DC)

texas...could be a McD deal all the way...which Obviously would be a Lombardi choice. When he dropped out which in NFL speak means he wasn't the first choice that spelled out that Lombardi was not pulling much weight - good thing ? or bad thing? But if its a McD coming to the rescue then possibly this was all constructed by Lombardi so it looked like it wasn't a done deal like all (I know I was) were saying...lol

where's Mac?

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
For all any of us know, you could be spot on

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

where's Mac?

out trying to recruit a HC....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

After the superbowl WE go back to JM and convince him to take the gig because WE determined he was the right man for the job when stacked up against all thoe candidates we talked to.

If he comes in.. and blows it bad.... do the fans get pissed because we fire him after one season or get pissed because we give him 2 more years...

He seems like a guy that people may not love much . So would it matter that much ?

Doesn't matter who they bring in as long as he wins... And he must be able to take the team to the play-offs...

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC search, pt 3

Link Copied to Clipboard