Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

If he comes in.. and blows it bad.... do the fans get pissed because we fire him after one season or get pissed because we give him 2 more years...

We're Cleveland, people will be pissed about it regardless of how it would unfolds lol.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
NRTU, just posting this about Rex Ryan's contract extension in NY.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/...tract-extension

So, the incentive-laden contract wouldn't work, huh?

And no, I had nothing to do with the contract or the details. Just pointing out that my idea wasn't as crazy as some might think. Again, I'm ahead of the curve.

*pats self on back*

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Deisle, I feel like there's no WAY they fire a coach after just one season ever again.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
jc

Maybe counter-productive as I also posted in the "other teams tracker" thread, but since we interviewed him for HC . . .

Report: Mike Munchak to meet with Steelers about offensive line job

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Again, I'm ahead of the curve.

Be careful about curves...they keep curving until you are right back where you started.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

On the other hand, my brother in law is a Bills season ticket holder and just loves their guy who we interviewed.
Says his men will knock down walls for him.

I'm liking Pettine a lot more than other candidates, especially Gase. Gase is soooo inexperienced; does he even know how to run a TC?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Deisle, I feel like there's no WAY they fire a coach after just one season ever again.

Although very unlikely cause it would make them look bad, or as some would say, worse... but I wouldn't rule anything out here in Browns Town!

Especially seeing our next coach is 99% likely to have no head coaching experience at all.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm liking Pettine a lot more than other candidates, especially Gase. Gase is soooo inexperienced; does he even know how to run a TC?

He's been an NFL coach in some capacity for 11 years.. I'm sure he's learned some things...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

He's been an NFL coach in some capacity for 11 years.. I'm sure he's learned some things...

no, he's only been in actual coaching duties since 2007. His work prior to that was in a staff assistant role - some assisting offensive coaches, once (for two years) as a scouting assistant. In these roles, "assistant" can be read as "gopher", "guy who collects footballs and gear", and/or "guy who cues up practice films".

Seven years, including this one, as a coach.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
The good thing about Seattles defense is that it's so weird that we actually have the personel to run it. Phil, Ahtyba and Desmond will be on the field as 3 down linemen. Watch Red Bryant of Seattle, Desmond could defintely fill in his role. Jabaal and Paul could play LEO, because it's basically like a 3-4 OLB. Except, they'd rush the passer more than they drop back in coverage. We'd use Mingo the way Seattle uses Bruce Irving at the SAM spot.

Legend
Legend
I find myself liking Dan Quinn more and more I read about him and when I've watched Seattle.

Gus Bradley was safe and relied upon the talent in Seattle. Quinn maximizes the talent there with creative looks and he trusts the secondary to hold up in more man-to-man situations. He's also very good at working with the DL individually.

Gus Bradley always did soft zone coverages against 3rd & 5 or longer. Quinn doesn't have the defense giving the opposition easy yardage. He makes them earn every bit for the most part. That team's weaknesses last year have been eliminated, ie: TE's down the middle, screen passes, 3rd down play calling, etc.

I'm on the bandwagon. A common theme I've noticed from guys the FO they've talked to. They want sacks and turnovers above all else.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If I wanted to emulate a team , it would be Seattle from top to bottom

D
Legend
Legend
D
No doubt. They even have a killer stadium!

Legend
Legend
yea, have you noticed how close the first row of seats seem to the field? and the way the stadium rises?

how can it NOT be loud? that must be awesome home games for the hawks, knowing the fans truly do make a difference on D.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I have no idea who we are going to hire.

I don't really believe the story about Gase's agent for two reasons:

--There are only 32 jobs in the NFL. We were all worried about losing Horton this year because he was a hot commodity. How did that turn out? We have seen the same thing in the past. Guys like Russ Grimm, Rob Ryan, Zimmer, etc were all set to be hired, but never were. It would be a risky gamble to wait for more bidderes.

--Secondly, I don't think the Brown's gig is that bad. We have a ton of cap room. We have some young talent. We are sitting pretty in the draft.......much better than anyone else. Furthermore, I think the new coach has some security, because we aren't going to be firing the next HC really quick after this past media relations nightmare.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

jc

Maybe counter-productive as I also posted in the "other teams tracker" thread, but since we interviewed him for HC . . .

Report: Mike Munchak to meet with Steelers about offensive line job

According to Bill Polian, he's the last guy that's a worthy head coaching candidate (he mentioned on Thursday's PTI). While Polian isn't the smartest guy in the world, I value his opinion.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I read that as how LaMonte plans to use circumstances as leverage in contract negotiations rather than just allow the Browns to have all the leverage (since there is but one job left).

That is what agents are hired to do, get their client the best contract possible....not the best job. It's the coach who decides which job is for him. Agents don't care about the job....only the contract and the leverage they can apply. It's how thay make their money.

Nothing wrong with that. They aren't hired to make the decisions. They are hired to put their client in the best possible position as far as the terms of the contract are concerned.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

They won't because of what it means for them..but it puts them up against the wall..because if the new guy sucks...and would deserve to be let go, they have a excuse.

It's one reason why they're going through a lot of names even though they have one target in mind..they have to find the right one.

Legend
Legend
If we hire Quinn, Jadaveon Clowney becomes a real possibility. The uncovered DE in the 4-3 under needs to be a monster. He has to dominate his 1 on 1 matchups in all pass rushing situations while also being the primary contain on outside runs. The SAM in that defense suits Mingo. You need to be athletic enough to stick with TEs. This scheme would benefit him because he'd be 1 on 1 with guys. Just spitballing what the defense would look like:

Clowney / Sheard
Taylor / Hughes
Rubin / Winn
Bryant (yes, he would work in this scheme because he's be asked to do similar things as a 3/4 DE) / Kruger

SAM: Mingo
MIKE: DQ
WILL: Robertson

I hate the contract that we gave Kruger, but I want the best defensive players we have out on the field. Don't just plug Kruger somewhere if he doesn't have the athleticism to do it. That's what bad teams do and get exploited for.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Again, I'm ahead of the curve.

Be careful about curves...they keep curving until you are right back where you started.

When I started, I was already ahead of the curve.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Don't just plug Kruger somewhere if he doesn't have the athleticism to do it. That's what bad teams do and get exploited for.

That would never happen to us.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One guy i was hoping we would atleast bring in for a look was Vic Fangio dc of the niners. I am blown away with how disciplined yet aggressive that team is playing especially the backers. I really havent been following the hc search tomuch so not sure if he is on their list or not but Fangio was a guy many around here wanted the browns to hire when Butch was canned.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Report (although from Mary Kay) states Gase leaning toward staying with Denver, even if he gets an offer:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/denver_oc_adam_gase_leaning_to.html

Quote:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase is leaning toward remaining in Denver and not taking the Browns head coaching job if it's offered, a league source told cleveland.com.

Gase, who's expected to interview with the Browns after he's eliminated from the playoffs, loves his job in Denver and relishes the idea of spending a second season as Peyton Manning's offensive coordinator.

The Broncos will face the Patriots in the AFC Championship Sunday afternoon in Denver, and the Browns can interview him as early as Sunday night or Monday if the Broncos are eliminated. If he advances to the Super Bowl, the Browns will have to determine if they want to wait until Feb. 3 to interview.

The Browns like multiple candidates they've already interviewed, including Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. They're also interviewing Cowboys special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia Saturday, according to Fox Sports' Jay Glazer. Bisaccia comes highly recommended from former Super Bowl-winning coach Jon Gruden, who's a friend of Browns owner Jimmy Haslam.

Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner, who's close to taking the Vikings coordinator job, also hired Bisaccia as special teams coach in 2011 in San Diego and gave him the added duties of assistant head coach in 2012.

Word in league circles is that agent Bob LaMonte has been telling folks that Gase, 35, might need another season as coordinator before taking a head job. What's more, he thinks Gase will have multiple opportunities next year, especially after one more season with Manning, who's playing the best ball of his career under Gase.

Question is, will the Browns still conduct the interview if they get the sense that Gase is having reservations? At least one league source questions if the interview will actually even take place.

The Browns are not heading into the interview with the idea that Gase is their top target, a source said. They have plenty of things to consider too, including the fact that Gase is young and has been a coordinator for only one year. He'd have to beat out some of the top candidates they've already interviewed to receive an offer. Quinn and Pettine have been apparently gaining steam in recent days.

So Gase is certainly not a slam-dunk from either side at this point.

If the Browns do interview Gase, they're confident they can sell him on the merits of the job. The Browns have the No. 4 and No. 26s pick in the first round and three picks in he first 35. They also have five selections in the top 83, and five Pro Bowlers providing they re-sign potential free agents T.J. Ward and Alex Mack.

The Browns also have Brian Hoyer coming back from his torn ACL and will have a chance to land one of the top two or three quarterbacks in the draft, including Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel, Central Florida's Blake Bortles and Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater.
But with Manning expected to play again next season, Gase could enhance his status as one of the rising stars in the game. Manning set career-highs this year in TD passes (55) and yards (5,477) and has praised Gase.

"I still think (Manning') young and playing well," Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway told reporters on Thursday, via USA Today Sports. "Having been a football player before, when you leave this game, you want to leave it on your last leg (and) try not to leave anything on the table. And so anybody that's a competitor — that's the way they want to leave the game. I was just fortunate to be on two great football teams and be able to win two world championships when my last leg broke."

Elway also loves Gase and has encouraged him to stay.

"I wish I could've played for him, yeah. He's so bright," Elway said.

We "possibly" could be missing out on others as other teams start to gobble up coordinator and etc positions, for nothing. Something to think about. It makes sense for Gase too as we'd be the only team conducting an interview with him. Next year, he could have a shot of more openeings. If he was looking to move into a HC position - I think he was a bit stupid to delay the interviews.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

I find myself liking Dan Quinn more and more I read about him and when I've watched Seattle.

This is where I am at. I have no interest in Gase and am happy to hear reports he's leaning toward staying in Denver.

Plus, this is personal preference and not a requirement for success...but I want a guy in the mold of Harbaugh on the sidelines....a guy with some fire.

Also, if they are looking for any last minute candidates, I'd be talking to Fangio and Tomsula from SF.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Never wanted Gase, Pettine doesn't really thrill me so Quinn does seem to be the best outta the bunch, what bunch is left. Seattle's defense was playing with great attitude and passion and was/is a tight unit. Plus he just looks like a guy I wouldn't want to get an ear full from lol.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quinn! Quinn! Quinn! Quinn!

eotab #841925 01/18/14 01:51 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Well not sure if jackass is a real football argument...lol

Just a quick way to describe having an overinflated ego. Those two thought they were walking on water, when they were actually drowning.

Mangini did more to cripple this franchise than any regime we've had since '99. He was a clown who desperately wanted to be Bill Belichick. I'm consistently baffled by how so many posters romanticize the guy.

When I hear McDaniel's name, I think of two things - running around like a jackass (sorry, it's the best description available) after beating the Patriots, and trading up to take Tebow in the first round.

PDR #841926 01/18/14 02:12 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Mangini did more to cripple this franchise than any regime we've had since '99. He was a clown who desperately wanted to be Bill Belichick. I'm consistently baffled by how so many posters romanticize the guy.

Really? You are that board and need to reinstate this debate. You haven't had enough!

Holmgren not replacing Mangini first year was the real mistake. Blowing it up Holmgren's second year set the franchise back. He wasted two years. It took Holmgren and Schurmur two seasons to duplicate Mangini's first year record. To top it off, Holmgren thought Weeden was a franchise QB over RG iii. How some posters romanticize Holmgren is the real puzzle.

PDR #841927 01/18/14 02:21 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Mangini did more to cripple this franchise than any regime we've had since '99

sorry no discussion for you...in my football nazi voice...lol

That was a ludicrous statement.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
bugs #841928 01/18/14 02:25 PM
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Quote:

To top it off, Holmgren thought Weeden was a franchise QB over RG iii. How some posters romanticize Holmgren is the real puzzle.

in fairness, that is not true, they tried to trade up for RGIII. Washington was willing to give up more. You don't try to trade up for RGIII if you think Weeden was thought of over him.

That said, I agree with your defense of Mangini over the Holmgren fiasco. I still say Eric was the only one so far to install a TRUE 5 year plan, He made the brave HARD choices to cut out cancer players and build from scratch with team guys. yes we went backward first, but I believe that was partially expected. Eric got blasted for trading back and not taking Sanchez, the Sanchez evaluation looks pretty good now. Eric's biggest mistake was asking for too much power biting off more than he could chew. He should have just been the HC, not HC/GM.

I think if he had been given the five year build, we would be in pretty nice shape today. dissaplined, playoff contender, respectable.

JMHO

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
bugs #841929 01/18/14 02:27 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Anytime Mangini comes up, there's a small handful of people who pop up with the same two defenses:

- he instilled discipline (which he didn't, really)

- Look at Holmgren and Heckert! They were bad, too!

I'm not looking to reinstate any debate, as there really isn't one as far as I'm concerned, nor should there be. The guy was an abysmal failure, and those failures were his own doing.

Also...why do people still view not getting RG3 as a grave error? We dodged a bullet on that one.

eotab #841930 01/18/14 02:29 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the guy is a good coach/coordinator. He might even be a decent HC given the situation.

This present stench (since 99) is more about this organization than HC abilities of most of the men who have been chewed up by this organization.

PDR #841931 01/18/14 02:33 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E

Really you should stay out of any discussion of Mangini which basically is you hating that anyone states something in the realm of good about it. But man if you have any credibility you are losing it fast with ridiculous statements like that... I don't care if you like him or not no biggee but the fact you claim he didn't bring discipline to this team is an Ignorant statement...sorry it just is.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Report (although from Mary Kay) states Gase leaning toward staying with Denver, even if he gets an offer:

I never particularly cared for him anyway. I don't think they'll make him an offer, but they probably want to interview him. I really don't think they'll make him an offer.

Last edited by anarchy2day; 01/18/14 02:47 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quinn! Quinn! Quinn! Quinn!

Yes! Sign him for five years and give him five staying the course you've set for the organization!

... they have a course...right?

eotab #841934 01/18/14 02:47 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Really you should stay out of any discussion of Mangini which basically is you hating that anyone states something in the realm of good about it. But man if you have any credibility you are losing it fast with ridiculous statements like that... I don't care if you like him or not no biggee but the fact you claim he didn't bring discipline to this team is an Ignorant statement...sorry it just is.

First of all - as I've said before, you should probably watch it with the insults. You can dish it out, but you can't take it.

You're very quick to belittle others and label them as ignorant, yet you cry like a little girl at any perceived slight.

Secondly...where was this discipline, so obvious that you'd have to be ignorant to say otherwise?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I never particularly cared for him anyway. I don't think they'll make him an offer, but they probably want to interview him. I really don't think they'll make him an offer.

From what I've read, he's not talking about it at all until the season for the Broncos is over.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

From what I've read, he's not talking about it at all until the season for the Broncos is over.

No doubt that Gase isn't going to say anything until after the Broncos are out of the playoffs. That could be as soon as tomorrow.

But, until such time as an offer is reported to be made to him, I don't believe that an offer will be made.

PDR #841937 01/18/14 04:41 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

First of all - as I've said before, you should probably watch it with the insults. You can dish it out, but you can't take it.

You're very quick to belittle others and label them as ignorant, yet you cry like a little girl at any perceived slight.

Secondly...where was this discipline, so obvious that you'd have to be ignorant to say otherwise?

I think it is wise you let it go. Mangini regime ended years ago. All you want to do is create another hate topic. Why? Isn't Banner/Lombardi agenda enough?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the Bronco's make it to the SB... and we wait two more weeks for Gase and then he decides to pass on interviewing for the job.....

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC search, pt 3

Link Copied to Clipboard