Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Report: Browns want second interview with Dan Quinn

Posted by Josh Alper on January 19, 2014, 10:39 AM EST

The Browns are the only NFL team without a head coach and it seems that their timetable for changing that is going to have a lot to do with the availability of assistants in Sunday’s conference championship games.

Their interest in Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase has been known for a while, but Gase opted not to take any interviews until after Denver’s season came to an end. Reports now indicate that Gase is leaning toward not interviewing at all, which may lead the Browns back to a coach they’ve already interviewed.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that the Browns are interested in a second interview with Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who interviewed with Cleveland during Seattle’s bye week in the playoffs. Per Rapoport, there’s mutual interest and that Kyle Shanahan, Gary Kubiak and Mike Mularkey are potential offensive coordinators if Quinn does wind up with the job in Cleveland.

Several candidates interviewed by the Browns have either taken other jobs or withdrawn their names from consideration. Those that haven’t include Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, former Titans head coach Mike Munchak and Cowboys special teams coach Rich Bisaccia.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I think it's toxic.. I don't need a story to tell me. It's my opinion.

And yes, I think no matter who they choose, people aren't going to love it.

If you notice, there wasn't one candidate that anyone stood up for and had a crowd follow along. Nobody stood out. Not to me anyway.

So I'm bound to be disappointed no matter who they choose.

But I'm also open to changing my mind due to their actions.. NOT THEIR WORDS.

This front office and Owner have proven to me that they aren't to be trusted. I'm not telling you not to trust them, I'm saying I don't trust them.. you do as you wish.

Fair enough. You don't trust them and you won't like anyone that they bring in. They could land YOUR #1 candidate (whoever that might be) and you'd be angry about it.

So, you think that Randy Lerner could be trusted? He simply didn't care about the team. You want Holmgren back in charge with Heckert & Shurmur tagging along? What paragons of virtue they turned out to be.

By now you must know that I just LOVE it when the Internet Brave put words in my mouth..

Did you read the part that NOBODY STOOD OUT TO ME? Guess not, because had you, you may not have made such an idiotic assumption. I don't have a favorite.

Did I EVER say that Randy Lerner could be trusted? Show me where I said that. Another idiotic statement..

In your attempts to belittle me, you've made statements and assumptions that are not true or remotely accurate. except maybe in your mind. Impressive. You think your a mind reader., Perhaps you should take your act on the road.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quinn! Quinn! Quinn! Quinn!

Win with Quinn!

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Win with Quinn!

Wait. I think I've heard that before...

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

But, to me, it says that they aren't going to accept losing.

By constantly firing coaches, that tells me they are willing to accept losing. Either that or they are too clueless to see that constantly changing coaches in the past didn't work. We're never going to win if we fire a coach after every season.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Per Rapoport, there’s mutual interest and that Kyle Shanahan, Gary Kubiak and Mike Mularkey are potential offensive coordinators if Quinn does wind up with the job in Cleveland.

Kubiak as a possible OC? I'm more than OK with that!

Quinn has been someone that has intrigued me as of late. Plus, having someone like Kubiak as OC with HC experience will allow Quinn to basically hand the reigns to him offensively for the most part.

Still the defensive scheme concerns me a tad but as someone alluded to earlier, Quinn seems to have some creative schemes and unorthodox looks that does offer both the 3-4 and 4-3.

He may be the one were targeted....and if so, Go 49ers!

Tackles are tackles.
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Win with Quinn!

Wait. I think I've heard that before...

Doctor, I think I'm having flashbacks! I see the number 10... and interceptions... oh god, it's all happening again!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Per Rapoport, there’s mutual interest and that Kyle Shanahan, Gary Kubiak and Mike Mularkey are potential offensive coordinators if Quinn does wind up with the job in Cleveland.

Kubiak as a possible OC? I'm more than OK with that!

Quinn has been someone that has intrigued me as of late. Plus, having someone like Kubiak as OC with HC experience will allow Quinn to basically hand the reigns to him offensively for the most part.

Still the defensive scheme concerns me a tad but as someone alluded to earlier, Quinn seems to have some creative schemes and unorthodox looks that does offer both the 3-4 and 4-3.

He may be the one were targeted....and if so, Go 49ers!

So back to a 4-3 and a cookie cutter WCO? I really didn't think we could do worse than this.

D
Legend
Legend
D
More from Rappoport via Twitter: "On #Browns: OC Adam Gase feels he's in a great situation & would need a perfect opportunity to leave Denver. May not even interview in Cle.".

Browns should just walk away from this guy. Up his.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Not sure Kubiak can be disregarded, he has had a history of excellent offenses. Dude had success with Jake Plummer.

Dave #841989 01/19/14 12:51 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Exactly. 100% exactly.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

How many head coaching candidates have said the Brown's job is toxic? May I see their quotes, please?

Opinion, plus conjecture in several articles by national writers. Like it or not, some of thse guys are pretty well connected. I don't know that anyone specifically tied such a quote to a specific candidate, and they won't. They aren't going to burn a source who will be looking for a job in the future in the same pool of sharks.

Quote:

All I know is that the majority of this board--and probably the local media---are going to hate whoever the Browns hire as the next head coach.

I am going to hope that the guy takes us to 10 Super Bowls. I want to win.. I would love to be wrong .... I would relish being wrong ...... if this front office somehow starts winning championships. My expectations for them have diminished over time though. We'll see who we hire. I will be disappointed if we wind up with a Pat Shurmur type ,,,,,,, inexperienced and not a leader.

Quote:

We will hear from posters that the Browns settled for so and so.

Or, we'll hear that so and so was the only guy who would take the job.

It is true that we really don't know which side called the courtship off, except in the cases of Tucker and McDaniels.

Quote:

We will hear how the Browns picked w/someone w/not enough experience, or-----he is just another retread that has been fired for a reason.

My criteria, as always, is that I want a great leader. I want a guy who can manage experienced coordinators and assistants, who can manage players, and who can let go of enough of the day to day so he can manage the big picture. I want a coach who sets the agenda, allows his coordinators to do their jobs, and then follows up to make sure. I don't want a head coach who has to be a coordinator, and who is the head coach, essentially, of one side of the ball.

Quote:

The majority are not interested in playing fair. It's an all-out hate fest where logic and reason are not welcome participants.

Oh please. Many posters, myself included, are ticked off over the way Chud was treated. A hate fest where logic is not allowed? Please. Many posters, and most fans disagree with your position regarding the way Chud was treated by the Browns, and what it says about their ability to manage a head coach and coaching staff. Some think that it speaks poorly to their ability to find, recruit, hire, support, and develop a great head coach. Some think that it was a panic move, made out of emotion rather than rational thought. Most think that there were internal problems in the front office with the head coach. Whatever the case, this front office hired Chud, and they fired him less than a year later. They have done nothing to inspire my confidence that they can do all parts of their job concerning a head coach ...... find, recruit, hire, support, and develop.

You disagree. You think that they made the right move. You think that some moves you agreed with a year ago were actually wrong in retrospect. (like hiring Turner) That's your right. I think that the mistake this front office made was made after the season, but rather prior to it.

There are no martyrs on the message board. No one is going to be nailed to a cross for having an opinion. You aggressively state and defend your opinion, and yes, you sometimes go over the line. Others who disagree with you do the same sometimes. No one is so innocent that they should go looking for specks in the eye's of their fellow posters.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dave #841991 01/19/14 01:23 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

More from Rappoport via Twitter: "On #Browns: OC Adam Gase feels he's in a great situation & would need a perfect opportunity to leave Denver. May not even interview in Cle.".

Bring on Quinn and lets be done with this.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed. He's much more experienced than Gase and looks like some decent coordinators will sign on.

All these guys who are close to making the big jump up to HC have a staff in mind. He may bring along a coach or two.

Dave #841993 01/19/14 02:19 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Josh Mcdaniels 2.0

He's gonna ride that Manning gravy train to the finish line.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:
How many head coaching candidates have said the Brown's job is toxic? May I see their quotes, please?

Opinion, plus conjecture in several articles by national writers. Like it or not, some of thse guys are pretty well connected. I don't know that anyone specifically tied such a quote to a specific candidate, and they won't. They aren't going to burn a source who will be looking for a job in the future in the same pool of sharks.

I am assuming there are zero quotes from coaches saying our FO is toxic, right?

Quote:

My criteria, as always, is that I want a great leader.

So, why are you so upset about Chud? The guy won less games that Passive Pat and he had more talent on his team than Pat did. He "led" the team to 10 losses in its last 11 games. They played uninspired football for most of the second half of the season. That isn't leadership.

Quote:

A hate fest where logic is not allowed? Please.

I give you Exhibit A:

Quote:

"Jimmy, can you assure the fans .... that you don't have the 3 Stooges running this operation?"

Sounds logical and reasonable to me.

Quote:

You think that some moves you agreed with a year ago were actually wrong in retrospect. (like hiring Turner) That's your right.

I did like the hires. I am not even saying it was good to fire them. I wish we would have given the coaching staff another year. I have never said otherwise. I have objected to guys like DJ and Swish bashing the coaching staff over and over and now they are all of a sudden defending that very same coaching staff. I am also objecting to the so many of you guys pointing to one move and making such a rock-solid conclusion that the new guys are stooges, buffoons, liars, con men, ignorant, egotistical morons who can't win because of their huge egos, etc.

Sorry YTown..........I ain't buying it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I get the Manning thing..........but, has anyone even considered that Manning had his best statistical year ever? Have any of you even considered what Denver's offense accomplished this year in terms of comparing their offenses to all the great offenses in the history of the NFL?

Any consideration at all? Not even a little bit?

Legend
Legend
Look at the additions they made. Vazquez has probably been the best interior offensive linemen in the NFL this year. Then you have Julius Thomas having a Jordan Cameron type of breakout year. Plus adding Wes Welker helps.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

I get the Manning thing..........but, has anyone even considered that Manning had his best statistical year ever? Have any of you even considered what Denver's offense accomplished this year in terms of comparing their offenses to all the great offenses in the history of the NFL?

Any consideration at all? Not even a little bit?

I would guess that Mannings OC in Indy was thought very highly of when Manning played there. That didn't really pan out when Manning didn't play, did it? Now, I'm sure you'll say "they tanked the season so they could get Luck."

Regardless........it's interesting reading your posts. People are either with you, or you attack them. I find it highly humorous ........your posts when people disagree with you.

You have shown yourself to many other posters that take you to task over your 2 facedness. You speak out of both sides of your mouth, and you are extremely negative and belittling to others, yet cry when others call you out.

It's funny. But, someone said you have me on ignore........so be it. As someone else pointed out, you throw punches, but have a glass chin.

Carry on.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not attacking you, but I really want to know if you really believe Gase should not get any credit at all for their record setting season?

I am saying that when a team breaks that many records in one season, and they do it w/a qb who has played around 15 years and played on other great teams...............you may want to consider that the OC is pretty bright, especially when Manning and Elway have both claimed the same thing.

You don't get that, at all?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

If I were Chudzinski, I'd feel betrayed by my coordinators

did they really betray him though? I'm thinking they did exactly what they've done everywhere they've been. were they any different at all from their last jobs? I mean we all can use excuses like... injuries ... I don't have this... I need that... etc. but a winning coach will use what he's got and play their strengths. something our coaches didn't appear to be doing anywhere they've been.
a good HC needs to be able to recognize this from his coaches and adjust accordingly

Well, I think that Chudzinski was going to have to rely on the coordinators too much, if there is such a thing, to bail him out. He didn't have the head coaching experience that Norv Turner does. He also counted on Horton to give him an opportunity to win games but Horton went into collapse mode late in games. Was it intentional, I don't know, but I really think there was something going on between the coordinators (not Chudzinski) and the front office and the coordinator's chose to not fully do their best job, whether it was consciously done or not.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

I am not attacking you, but I really want to know if you really believe Gase should not get any credit at all for their record setting season?

I am saying that when a team breaks that many records in one season, and they do it w/a qb who has played around 15 years and played on other great teams...............you may want to consider that the OC is pretty bright, especially when Manning and Elway have both claimed the same thing.

No, I don't.

Let's say Gase comes here. What does he have to work with? The probably greatest qb of all time? No.

I wouldn't be surprised if Manning isn't schooling Gase week in and week out. That may be a benefit for Gase............but could he be a "genius" with Weeden, Hoyer, or Campbell? Please.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not trying to be offensive at all............but, we might want to be careful in saying that there was this big divide between Chud and his coordinators. I haven't seen any proof of that.

I have defended the FO, but it's a real stretch to blame the poor performance of the team on a rift between Chud and the coordinators.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not saying that we have the same talent.

I am saying that there have been a lot of great offensive teams that did not accomplish what Denver did under Gase.

I get the Manning thing.........but, Manning has played in the league a long, long time and he had his best year.............this year. So did Moreno and many others.

Guys, it's one thing to not want the guy as our HC, but it is another to simply dismiss his accomplishments by saying he had Manning. and that anyone could have done the same thing.

It doesn't add up.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Maybe he did? I'm not inside that lockeroom. I don't know the dynamics in that relationship. However, Josh Mcdaniels proved that it doesn't translate to being a HC. Heck remember Brian Billick? He had success because of the Ravens incredible defense.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

By now you must know that I just LOVE it when the Internet Brave put words in my mouth.

I didn't put any words in your mouth. You're getting testy though. Why?

Quote:

Did you read the part that NOBODY STOOD OUT TO ME? Guess not, because had you, you may not have made such an idiotic assumption. I don't have a favorite.

Yes, I saw it. That doesn't mean that you would come up with the potential candidates and which one that you disliked the least or felt was better (if even marginally so) than the others. Presumably, if you were making the choice, you would actually make a choice and not throw a dart at a dartboard or put the names on pieces of paper and pull them out of a hat.

Quote:

Did I EVER say that Randy Lerner could be trusted? Show me where I said that. Another idiotic statement.

By inference, you stated that you didn't trust this ownership. That would seem to indicate that by singling them out for your vitriol, that by default you would trust the previous ownership and/or front office more than the current ones. Since you didn't state otherwise, I'll take it that's what you meant.

Quote:

In your attempts to belittle me, you've made statements and assumptions that are not true or remotely accurate. except maybe in your mind. Impressive. You think your a mind reader., Perhaps you should take your act on the road.

Maybe you should communicate your views more precisely.

So, since you're all defensive about it and got your panties in a wad, I'll ask you straight up.

Would you prefer Randy Lerner as the owner or Jimmy Haslam? Which do you trust more?

Would you prefer Mike Holmgren & Tom Heckert or Joe Banner & Michael Lombardi? Which do you trust more?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am not saying that we have the same talent.

I am saying that there have been a lot of great offensive teams that did not accomplish what Denver did under Gase.

I get the Manning thing.........but, Manning has played in the league a long, long time and he had his best year.............this year. So did Moreno and many others.

Guys, it's one thing to not want the guy as our HC, but it is another to simply dismiss his accomplishments by saying he had Manning. and that anyone could have done the same thing.

It doesn't add up.

You keep acting like this is the same squad in terms of talent from last year when they're not. They added a guy who might now be the best guard in the NFL. They added the best slot WR in the NFL and they have a TE playing like one of the best in the NFL. They also have talent at runningback.

Legend
Legend

Or, he could just realize.that with only one head coach opening he has no other contract leverage than to say he might stay. No biggie to me with this statement. Whether he is actually first.preference or just one of the candidates on the list, he definitely has the appearance of the preferred candidate, and his agent would not be doing his job if he weren't trying to angle the best possible offer for his client.

Sorry, quoted wrong post on phone.

Last edited by clevesteve; 01/19/14 03:16 PM.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

But, to me, it says that they aren't going to accept losing.

By constantly firing coaches, that tells me they are willing to accept losing. Either that or they are too clueless to see that constantly changing coaches in the past didn't work. We're never going to win if we fire a coach after every season.

Hiring the wrong head coach (and I don't necessarily think that Chudzinski deserved firing) and sticking with them for longer than necessary isn't a good idea.

The Browns had 4 wins, 12 losses at the end of the season. That's the same. If you felt that 4 or 5 wins and 11 or 12 losses per year are acceptable, then I can see how you might be upset. Losing 7 straight games should be unacceptable to every Browns fan and it shouldn't matter what the coach's name is.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Look at the additions they made. Vazquez has probably been the best interior offensive linemen in the NFL this year. Then you have Julius Thomas having a Jordan Cameron type of breakout year. Plus adding Wes Welker helps.

But Manning played with both Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison in all of their primes. That said, I believe Peyton's having a record season because he's throwing it more than ever. Would someone mind to fact check that? And if it is true would anyone mind finding his yards per attempt in this seasons and other seasons?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Would you prefer Randy Lerner as the owner or Jimmy Haslam? Which do you trust more?

Would you prefer Mike Holmgren & Tom Heckert or Joe Banner & Michael Lombardi? Which do you trust more?

My opinion, nothing else: Lerner-Holmgren-Heckert. And it ain't even close!

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

But Manning played with both Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison in all of their primes. That said, I believe Peyton's having a record season because he's throwing it more than ever. Would someone mind to fact check that? And if it is true would anyone mind finding his yards per attempt in this seasons and other seasons?

nvm found it here: http://www.nfl.com/player/peytonmanning/2501863/careerstats

He has thrown it the most this year, but this season is also the 2nd most efficient year in terms of yrds/attempt (In 2004 he had 9.2 yards per attempt).

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

You cannot be serious...absolutely cannot be...

you had a good run Hank.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Not trying to be offensive at all............but, we might want to be careful in saying that there was this big divide between Chud and his coordinators. I haven't seen any proof of that.

I'm not saying that there was a divide between Chudzinski and Turner or between him and Horton. I suggest that there was a divide between the front office and Turner or the front office and Horton... or between the front office and both Turner & Horton.

Quote:

I have defended the FO, but it's a real stretch to blame the poor performance of the team on a rift between Chud and the coordinators.

Again, I'm not suggesting that. I do really think that the coordinators had a real problem with the front office and there wasn't any way that the front office could have gotten rid of them without first firing Chudzinski. There was no real way for them to fire the coordinators and leave Chudzinski in place as the HC. Chudzinski would have quit if they had fired his coordinators and it would have looked even more horrible (from a prospective HC standpoint) for them to do so.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Very well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm only going to say that because I know what we had with Lerner-Holmgren-Heckert and I don't want that. I'm not sure what we have with Haslam-Banner-Lombardi, although all of them were better qualified for the respective jobs than the previous ownership/regime.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I do really think that the coordinators had a real problem with the front office...

You may very well be right. There must be more to the story than what we know. Perhaps Chud sided with his co-ordinators' suggestions/viewpoints and this went in an opposite direction from what the FO wanted....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... all of them were better qualified for the respective jobs than the previous ownership/regime.

You're right in that we'll have to agree to disagree...

PDR #842017 01/19/14 04:10 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
watch it with the insults. You can dish it out, but you can't take it.

Actually a pretty funny statement...Ignorant is not knowing pure and simple it might sound as an insult to u...I actually use that word on subject matter that I am not in the KNOW and state that I'm ignorant. But you come out with some off the wall debates as in stating things like facts that just aren't close. Dish what out...can't take what. Please tool me in a football argument - I BEG OF YOU...That is my problem with you its not a matter of give and take of logical opinion. Where I can enjoy the discussion cause at least its football educated. Like I sort of enjoy from Toad, Django, Pit, Vers who I disagree with on more than one occasion but its based on football and logic. No insults. Ignorant is just that. If you state he did not bring discipline. When we had training camp where if WRs dropped the ball they ran a lap, fumbled the ball ran a lap, OL jump off sides ran a lap. And all those infractions went down during the season. Then you come along and say he didn't bring any discipline??? What am I suppose to do. Let it slide and so this message board can lose its reputation. Please I beg of you MAKE A CORRECT POINT once in a while.

Back to the topic...I have no dislike for any of the teams. I really admire and respect Manning n Brady. I like the two young entertaining QBs of the other game. If I dislike anything for some reason I dislike Pete Carrol. But we got two interviews to go before making our decision so In lieu of that . Go Pats. and Go 49ers!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
clwb419 #842018 01/19/14 04:33 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I am not sure why Kubiak isn't getting interviews to be a head coach. He was 61-64 overall as the Texans head coach including this past season when he was fired after going 2-11.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC search, pt 3

Link Copied to Clipboard