Hall of Famer
A
Just to continue the topic.

E
Legend
Legend
E
some things on my mind from HC III...quick before I forget

Someone mentioned that Quinn has Daboll type OC lined up.
a. I actually am one of the few who liked Daboll
b. regardless of (a.) Did he state who his OCs would be?

How come there is a report of Kyle Shanahan or Kubiak being his (Quinn) OC? is that Bozo speculation or there is a link with them?

Ytown is that true about the NO FB from FO for Chud - I thought Ogb was the FB? Was that after Ogb had to take on RB responsibilities. Or the request was for a different type of FB - I think Clutts was available as he was picked up later in the season by Dallas???

Somebody who is GOOD...retread good like Del Rio (debatable) or Up n comer good like Quinn. No way they take a job without the power...then they just might not that good.

And isn't that who we are looking for? A powerful HC to take control - Like a Reid a BB a Cowher? I'm getting very confused on all of this. Apparently Chud was a Banner pick...Lombardi came later. Also it was very obvious early on that McD was a Lombardi pick. He dropped out usually a statement that they were not the top candidate. So my impression is that Haslam is rolling up the sleeves and doing this hire - he is the point man on this. I believe it is he who wants a Strong HEAD (Coach) to lead the organization. He seems that type of guy and its how the Steelers made it and quite frankly most dynasties have made it.

Oh and the rumors (leaked by his Agent LaMont) that Gase won't look for the Browns job may also be an indication that he is not our first choice.

Also texaslostdawg I think was correct in the mental framework of these HC candidates. They have and should have an ego that they can do what others did not. Also why they will demand for control n power to execute their plan.

In any case the new HC will be dependent on Lombardi/Banner in this draft and possibly FA period the first year the new HC has to get other work done like setting up the organization of coaches/staff. Review the roster looking at who to count on who are bubble guys who have to go from the previous 2013 roster. This is work only for the Initial year of a new Regime. We know cause by now we are experts at this

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #843181 01/20/14 02:02 PM
Legend
Legend
There were reports that Chud wanted a true FB, and was overruled.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
eotab #843182 01/20/14 02:22 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

In any case the new HC will be dependent on Lombardi/Banner in this draft and possibly FA period the first year the new HC has to get other work done like setting up the organization of coaches/staff. Review the roster looking at who to count on who are bubble guys who have to go from the previous 2013 roster.

It appears no one wants to come here. This front office appears to be a joke. On my way in to work this morning 92.3 the Fan in the news update kept saying the Browns really like Johnny Manziel and would move up from #4 to get him if they have to. Now normally I would immediately think this is a smoke screen because who in their right minds would let that leak out in January, but with these clowns, I'm not so sure.

Right now good coaches don't want to come here, Free Agents aren't going to want to come here, our Free Agents are probably already scoping out Zillow.com. Sorry if I am so pessimistic but I don't have faith in this Front Office to turn this around. I pray that I am wrong.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
eotab #843183 01/20/14 03:00 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
so, there was a link @ KFFL credited to Ian Rapoport regarding Quinn's "possible" OCs...

KFFL

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

Might have to add San Fran D-line coach Jim Tomsula to the list of potential HC candidates for the Browns.

Jim Tomsula Article

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

so, there was a link @ KFFL credited to Ian Rapoport regarding Quinn's "possible" OCs...

KFFL

Getting Norv Turn. . .I mean Gary Kubiak to come here would be a huge positive. He has run two very successful offenses and turns running backs into gold on the regular.

But how about we worry about hiring the right head coach and letting the assistants fall into place. One of the main reasons we hired Chud was because of the staff he could bring with him. That did not turn out well.

eotab #843186 01/20/14 03:15 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Those "good" head coaches have been fired at least once before and we don't know if the untried will be "good".

I'm willing to hitch the Wagon to a young Quinn or Pettine and see what happens before I am some multi fired fossil.

I'm looking for a 15-20 season man!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

j/c

Might have to add San Fran D-line coach Jim Tomsula to the list of potential HC candidates for the Browns.

Jim Tomsula Article

maybe DC? I could see Quinn as HC and Tomusla brought in as DC

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

maybe DC?

That's what I was thinking. Especially if Fangio is a potential candidate.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

maybe DC?

That's what I was thinking. Especially if Fangio is a potential candidate.

I could get on board with that

#gmstrong

eotab #843190 01/20/14 04:22 PM
Legend
Legend
Not sure where I read it Eo, maybe in HC3, anyway, there was talk that Quinn would bring someone like the former coach of the Texans, Gary Kubiak as his OC. I think that's what it said.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This coaching fraternity is closer than we probably think.
These guys know who they want if ever hired as a head coach and who they'd follow should they be asked to find a staff.

If Quinn is the man I'm betting through agents or someone else there have been plenty of calls made.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Are there real quotes to verify those reports, or more stupid, invalidated, rumors?

I hate when rumors get repeated over and over and over. Eventually, people see them so many times that they regard them as fact.

I heard a rumor that the Aztecs said the world was going to end. Ooopppsss.......that date has come and gone.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If Quinn is the man

I would pray he would bring the L.O.B with him....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Are there real quotes to verify those reports, or more stupid, invalidated, rumors?

I'm with you on this. One guy who I never listen to is Ian Rappaport. He loves to spread rumors as fact.

He's the guy who said Chud was calling all the candidates and telling them not to come here. Which IMO is total crap, and what reporters do to up readership.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
he's also the same guy that first reported on Chud getting fired...

so there's that.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'm with you on this. One guy who I never listen to is Ian Rappaport. He loves to spread rumors as fact.

He's the guy who said Chud was calling all the candidates and telling them not to come here. Which IMO is total crap, and what reporters do to up readership.

I don't believe the reports were that Chud was calling the guys, but that he was merely talking to them... as in, they call and ask, he spills the beans. Let's face it, regardless of how you feel about the situation, it is definitely an odd one that he got canned after one year, and so quickly following that last game. That HAS to have guys wondering at least a little, and if they have the ability to reach out to Chud and talk to him, they'd certainly do it.

Anyway, beyond that, I agree with the opinion of Rappaport, who now fills the role that Lombardi used to with NFL Network/NFL.com.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
jc

Well with Monday after the Patriots loss passing without any McDaniels news, I'd say he is out for sure.

I still think Quinn has been their target for a while now, I think the back up plan is Pettine or Gase.

At this point I really don't care if they hire Shemp, as long as he wins and does that funny laying down while running in a circle thing mid field when they do! I just want to win games.

IMO Quinn is the best choice left.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/20/14 07:08 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

jc

Well with Monday after the Patriots loss passing without any McDaniels news, I'd say he is out for sure.

I believe NFL offices are closed for MLK. I don't think anything will happen today.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Hell, that is reason enough to fire the guy. Earth to Chud.....teach one of you damn reserve guards to run a few plays out of the position. If you want him there all the time, teach him all of the damn plays.

I'll bet all guards have played catch with a football before. I'd bet they can catch 85% of catchable footballs.....we are talking catch here, usually easy tosses in to the flat.

OK....maybe they aren't going to run 40 yard wheel routes, but we don't run those anyway. It's more a 1 yard swing pass to Vickers make is 3rd and 8. Another dump to Vickers makes if 4th and 5. Here comes the punter.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bugs #843200 01/20/14 07:35 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

Quote:

jc

I believe NFL offices are closed for MLK. I don't think anything will happen today.

Didn't even think about that.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

jc

The guy said 'thanks, but no thanks'.

He won't be coming here.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Hell, that is reason enough to fire the guy. Earth to Chud.....teach one of you damn reserve guards to run a few plays out of the position. If you want him there all the time, teach him all of the damn plays.

I'll bet all guards have played catch with a football before. I'd bet they can catch 85% of catchable footballs.....we are talking catch here, usually easy tosses in to the flat.

OK....maybe they aren't going to run 40 yard wheel routes, but we don't run those anyway. It's more a 1 yard swing pass to Vickers make is 3rd and 8. Another dump to Vickers makes if 4th and 5. Here comes the punter.

good god didn't we have 260 pound running back, he was good enough to run the wildcat, he sure as hell looked big enough to be a FB or am I missing something?

#gmstrong

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't believe the reports were that Chud was calling the guys, but that he was merely talking to them... as in, they call and ask, he spills the beans. Let's face it, regardless of how you feel about the situation, it is definitely an odd one that he got canned after one year, and so quickly following that last game. That HAS to have guys wondering at least a little, and if they have the ability to reach out to Chud and talk to him, they'd certainly do it.

Anyway, beyond that, I agree with the opinion of Rappaport, who now fills the role that Lombardi used to with NFL Network/NFL.com.

I was just thinking, I wonder if they planned on canning him at the beginning. What I mean, is the way they did the draft, and FA, they clearly were sending the message of "evaluation year. Maybe they thought since they missed on the ones they wanted, and had to settle, that maybe they hired the "local" boy as an easy way to the fans heart. All along thinking of getting someone better the next year. A throw away coach, if you will.
You think about them trading Richardson, the way they avoided bringing in a guy when Weeden then Hoyer go down. Now this talk about the FB, which on here was a huge topic before and during the season. And the trading for next years picks.
I think they took a one year flier with Chud, if he worked out they would look like geniuses. If not they could always use the excuse they did, while all along not giving him the players he needed.
I know many will think this is a crazy scenario, but in fact, they really didn't know what they had. Throw this guy in there. He had some success here before, so he could be an easy sell to the fanbase. Giving the new FO time to jell amongst themselves, and put the plan together.
We all hype many Browns players, but the truth is, and we all know it, that the team had some talent, but not a lot. In a way, it is a pretty effective way of evaluation, kind of a "throw it at the wall" type thing. Now they truly know what they have, and can make the best corrections. I'm not saying they will, but with what they are sitting on with picks and money, they definitely could turn this team around quickly. One can only hope.
Any way, I kind of liked Chud, but as the season wore on, I was wondering if he had what it took. In the end, he got to coach his childhood team, and made 10 million dollars doing it. I feel bad, but not a whole lot.
I know nothing about these coaches, but for God's sake, just once someone has got to get it right....ditto, for a QB.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
You're missing the fact that he can't block.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

It's more a 1 yard swing pass to Vickers make is 3rd and 8. Another dump to Vickers makes if 4th and 5. Here comes the punter.

This made me laugh, because it is all we have known since who knows when. Just insert different backs and fullback's names. The truth hurts sometime

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It takes more than just size to be an effective FB... I think people are minimizing the skills of the really good FBs by saying anybody that's big enough can do it... it takes a special kind of dude to want to do that..... heck, Peen mentioned OGs.. I'd rather take a reserve LBer and make him a FB.. He would have better speed and agility than an OG and a greater desire to hit people than a reserve big QB... but that still doesn't mean he would be good at it.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

you've seen him block?

#gmstrong

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

It takes more than just size to be an effective FB... I think people are minimizing the skills of the really good FBs by saying anybody that's big enough can do it... it takes a special kind of dude to want to do that..... heck, Peen mentioned OGs.. I'd rather take a reserve LBer and make him a FB.. He would have better speed and agility than an OG and a greater desire to hit people than a reserve big QB... but that still doesn't mean he would be good at it.

Ok...I am good with a LB at the position....I can see that.....but people mention blocking more often than not, so I say a reserve guard......but I can see a LB.....Sure!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

you've seen him block?

A bit in preseason and when he would come into the game. He can't block inline let alone lead block.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Plus....what reports were those? And you are a friend YTBF. WE go back what....12- 15 years.......it is easy for me to lose track of time.....has to be over 10....I know that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you've seen him block?

A bit in preseason and when he would come into the game. He can't block inline let alone lead block.

there you are right..

#gmstrong

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Guys..............I really doubt that a lack of a FB was much of a reason for our inept play this year.

I yi yi yi.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Plus....what reports were those? And you are a friend YTBF. WE go back what....12- 15 years.......it is easy for me to lose track of time.....has to be over 10....I know that.

Most likely Rapport. I believe him or someone else were were reporting about splits within the regime. There was some about cutting a few players, getting a new FB, and moving Scott Turner to be a QB coach. I know these are just rumors, but they're pretty odd and specific rumors. But I don't think we'll hear these rumors get validated because Chud has a gag order and it's not like Banner or Haslam would say anything about this.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I hate when rumors get repeated over and over and over. Eventually, people see them so many times that they regard them as fact.

I heard a rumor that the Aztecs said the world was going to end. Ooopppsss.......that date has come and gone.

It was from one of the beat reporters, shortly after Chud was fired.

Take it for what it's worth ....... but there was smoke .....

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

V
Legend
Legend
V
So, it's true? LOL

Oh...........and this is about a FB?

But, we want to ignore how our guys laid down at the end of the year and played w/out heart and proved to be losers.

Nah.........that had nothing to do w/our failures. It was that we didn't get a FB.

Okie dokie.

Legend
Legend
jc.

so...another 2 weeks til we get our guy?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
It's one example of the front office and the coach not being on the same page, despite what Banner has said about it.

I posted the article shortly after Chud was fired. I'll let you go look for it. Even if I post it again, you'll castigate the writer, source, publication, and anything else you can find to try to refute.

You have chosen to believe that anything that the great and powerful banner says is true and honest 100% of the time. I disagree. I gave him a chance, and my support, until he proved unworthy of that support. I argued that we should give him our support until he proved undeserving of that support. IMHO, that tipping point has been reached. You disagree. That's cool. You're wrong .... but that's your right. lol

Swish #843218 01/20/14 09:43 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
You mean another 2 weeks till we maybe get our 3rd or 4th pick ?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC Search, Part 4

Link Copied to Clipboard