Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

So you think his plan was to get a guy most people don't want and get us laughed at even harder by the media during the whole hiring process?

I think Banner doesn't give a d&%#n what we want.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Remember that thing about being patient? Uh yeah. . .

Link

Quote:

A Browns official said this morning CLEV will not wait around to hire Broncos OC Adam Gase.

so we can assume that Quinn is out of the picture too??? Or is this BS for us dumb fans that cannot put 2 + 2 together...

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #843261 01/21/14 02:15 PM
Legend
Legend
j/c

I really haven't been following this thread, so forgive me if this seems repeated ...

But I have a feeling Gase was clearly Haslam's top target ... and now he's been spurned yet again (second straight year ... strike two).

I also have a feeling Haslam must be growing wary of his front office and this franchise as a whole. Quick question Jimmy: would you still buy this team a year later? And if so, would you do things the exact same way that you did since last August?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

And if so, would you do things the exact same way that you did since last August?

Obviously not as he already fired the coach.

Legend
Legend
Since Rex brought it up, I'll ask here.. why was Rob Ryan not on anybody's list this year to even get an interview? This might have been his best year yet as a DC... He's had some success, at least as much as some of the other coordinators that are getting phone calls... Seriously how much of it could be the hair? Most owners want a businesslike professional guy on the sidelines and that's not Rob Ryan... so what is keeping him from getting a sniff as a HC?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Since Rex brought it up, I'll ask here.. why was Rob Ryan not on anybody's list this year to even get an interview? This might have been his best year yet as a DC... He's had some success, at least as much as some of the other coordinators that are getting phone calls... Seriously how much of it could be the hair? Most owners want a businesslike professional guy on the sidelines and that's not Rob Ryan... so what is keeping him from getting a sniff as a HC?

Three reasons...Fired...Fired and Fired agan. Plus......His defenses are constantly in the top 5 of the league in points allowed. His previous teams have had better defensive numbers now then when Rob Ryan was their DC. Ryan is well known for giving up huge leads in games by going into prevent defense early in the third qtr.

He's highly over rated as a DC IMO let alone a HC canidate. His defensive numbers alone should keep him out of the NFL. But his name keeps him in.

And besides, even if he's the right and perfect HC for Cleveland, which I beleive he isn't, he'd flat out decline that offer anyways.

Maybe Rex should offer him his job rather then pawning his brother off on others first.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
Quote:

I don't think it would hurt for us to interview Rob Ryan, provided of course Jimmy, Joe nor Mike ask Rob to get a haircut... which is a very silly and petty reason to not hire a head coaching candidate. Rob did a good job for us when he was here as our DC, and I believe he has what it takes to be a head coach. He's not as crazy as Rex, right?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

While I think this is a blessing in disguise, this is now the 3rd candidate that has withdrawn consideration as the Browns HC. So much for the Manning and Haslam connection. Looks like it's the Quinn show now??

Gase Declines Interview

Denver Post: This was Haslam's Guy

We have 6 pro bowlers and we still don't have people who want to entertain getting a job here.

Legend
Legend
I just wonder what took Gase so long to decide he didn't want to come here, or if he just was really thinking and decided he has a pretty good thing going where he is.

I'm to the point that I don't care. Just get us a good QB for God's sake.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

While I think this is a blessing in disguise, this is now the 3rd candidate that has withdrawn consideration as the Browns HC. So much for the Manning and Haslam connection. Looks like it's the Quinn show now??

Gase Declines Interview

Denver Post: This was Haslam's Guy

We have 6 pro bowlers and we still don't have people who want to entertain getting a job here.

Almost makes you wonder, doesn't it? Maybe the "look at me, firing the head coach after one year so everyone knows I'm serious about winning and it will make me look good" crap is biting Jimmy in the rump roast, eh?

What's the tally on the coaches that have said "thanks, but no thanks."?

Yup, the 3 stooges will, without a doubt, get their guy.......the one they were gunning for all along, right?

If I'm not mistaken, every team that was looking for a head coach has already gotten one.......yet here we sit, watching coaches say "thanks, but no thanks."

Jimmy, Joe, and Mike might be .......wondering about their leadership right about now. Won't be long til we see another "letter to the fans" assuring us that the 8th, 9th, 10th choice was who they were really after anyway.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

The media is reporting that Gase was Haslam's guy all along?

Have the two even met? Gase has not even been interviewed once, but he WAS Haslam's guy all along?

I'm not buying it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Haslam is close with Peyton Manning. Presumably that is why Haslam wanted Gase.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Have the two even met? Gase has not even been interviewed once, but he WAS Haslam's guy all along?

I thought I saw somewhere where they met January 1st or 2nd to see if there was any intrest.I could be wrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

The media is reporting that Gase was Haslam's guy all along?

I'm not buying it.

cfrs already said it, but Haslam is good friends with Peyton Manning (both are Tenn. alumni and Haslam is a huge Tennesee football junkie), and reportedly Manning recommended Gase to him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Haslam is close with Peyton Manning. Presumably that is why Haslam wanted to interview Gase.

Fixed it for you.

Legend
Legend
I just want to state that I really like Dan Quinn (as long as he sticks with Seattles philosophies) and what he could bring to the team. However you're right Arch.

We have 5 All-Pro players, 6 Pro-Bowlers, 10 draft picks (including 2 1sts, one in the top 5, and 2 3rds). The 3rd most cap space in football and the 2nd youngest team in football.

Yet nobody wants to coach us. That says something Jimmy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We have 5 All-Pro players, 6 Pro-Bowlers, 10 draft picks (including 2 1sts, one in the top 5, and 2 3rds). The 3rd most cap space in football and the 2nd youngest team in football.

Yet nobody wants to coach us. That says something Jimmy.

All that still doesn't give guys a feeling of SECURITY.

Swish #843276 01/21/14 04:47 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

jc.

so...another 2 weeks til we get our guy?

OR

2 weeks until we settle and put a body in the position until we can try again next year?

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
j/c

Alex Marvez Twitter

Source tells @FOXSports that #Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter will interview for @browns head coaching job

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

j/c

Alex Marvez Twitter

Source tells @FOXSports that #Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter will interview for @browns head coaching job

To go along with that:

Quote:

Jim Tomsula RT @MaioccoCSN: Jim Harbaugh said he’s had conversations with Browns about some 49ers assistant coaches.He didn’t get specific.

Link

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

Alex Marvez Twitter

In with first Horseshack reference.

Can we call our OLine the SweatHogs?

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What happened to Haslams statement of ... " bringing in a proven Winner " ?

E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't like anyone anymore...this way we can hire somebody.

All I know is this does not look good at this moment cause we are the only one waiting as the others are putting their staff together we will be behind and who knows who will be available.

Usually people who state they are dropping out of the mix have gotten word (probably through his agent) that he is not our first choice in this wait...Usually, who really knows with this predicament.

We are talking Quinn and a real outside shot at Del Rio...if not those two then why have we not hired the guy. If we end up hiring one of these others we have already interviewed it would be so Obvious that they were not our first choice and maybe not even the 2nd choice. Gee I wonder where I heard that...and early article how Chud was not their first choice and maybe not even their 2nd choice but the FO thinks that they hit pay dirt...man I'm trying so hard to get behind them as if they actually know what they are doing.

But right now its either the biggest buffoons ever and the most brilliant ones ever....not much grey area between.

Oh one thing on the dropping out - we all know prospective HC candidates have a wish list of Asst coaches especially at OC n DC...it possibly could be the case that everyone on his list got hired already or are still on contract. So he pulled out???

JMHO and ???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

I love how the media is stating Gase was THE guy. Really? Has any one of these guys interviewed Haslam/Banner/Lombardi? To me, it sounds like an agent spinning it to make their guy look good.

Gase's or Quinn's resume is pretty thin. You have to wonder if either of these guys are it. Mike Pettine Jr. has twelve years NFL experience. He coached under Rex Ryan in Baltimore, and followed Rex to New York. Last year took the Buffalo DC job.

Good Story!

Bills’ Pettine blazes different trail than his famous coaching father

Legend
Legend
I have no problem with them waiting until after the SB if that's what it takes. I don't want a coach just so we can say we got one, I want the right one, if it takes a couple more weeks, so be it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Clem...very much on the same wave length as you...All I want now is a direction so I can get back to rooting for my Browns. And stick with it for ONCE!

More important is the Players...most of these kids have known no other team than the Browns but they have gone through a lot in their 3-4 years. with us. Right now with NO DIRECTION the peeps in charge are looking like fools to them. It will fester the longer they wait and their fraternity of players ask them - what up with your team. All they can do is shrug their shoulders and roll their eyes. Yes once the new guys get here if they are dynamic leaders they can get them all on board and gung ho by training camp.

But what about Ward and Mack? And if they go 2 out of the 6 young Pro Bowlers - this will only make the FO look even more foolish. A team waiting to grow young Pro - Bowlers from the draft and then lose 2 of them with the largest Cap Room in the NFL..... Stooges, Buffoons, Idiots...whats in a name I know some get upset when it is used but really it looks like they don't know what they are doing. The fire right now looks worse than ever as almost our entire staff has been hired cause they are Dang Good teachers of football.

What do we got here...Tabor wait maybe he'll become our HC Please wake me up when this night mare is over!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

bugs #843285 01/21/14 05:18 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
yeah, the more I research Pettine, the more I like him.

and, he might even bring Mike Bloomgren with him! (current OC of Stanford, they coached together w/ Jets)

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
jc:

Head Coach-Dan Quinn
Defensive Coordinator- Jim Tomsula (current SF Defensive line coach)
Offensive Coordinator- Gary Kubiak (former Texans HC)

This is my wishful thinking at this stage.....

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...Pettine...

I don't know if anybody has posted this, if so I apologize. Pettine is having his second interview with us tonight, I believe. If he is to be our HC, I expect we'll know Wednesday or Thursday. If no announcement of Pettine, then Quinn seems to be the target and we'll have to wait 2 weeks or so...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

...Pettine...

I don't know if anybody has posted this, if so I apologize. Pettine is having his second interview with us tonight, I believe. If he is to be our HC, I expect we'll know Wednesday or Thursday. If no announcement of Pettine, then Quinn seems to be the target and we'll have to wait 2 weeks or so...

We can also interview Quinn this week as well for a 2nd time if I'm not mistaken. If we like him enough the sources will come out of the woodwork saying it hire will happen just like it did with Romeo Crennel.

These back room handshakes will always happen but won't be "official" until later.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

I really haven't been following this thread, so forgive me if this seems repeated ...

But I have a feeling Gase was clearly Haslam's top target ... and now he's been spurned yet again (second straight year ... strike two).

I also have a feeling Haslam must be growing wary of his front office and this franchise as a whole. Quick question Jimmy: would you still buy this team a year later? And if so, would you do things the exact same way that you did since last August?

Knowing what he knows now? Yeah, he'd buy it, ego plays a big part, but he'd not hire Chud of course. Not sure who he would have hired, but certainly not chud.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

jc:

Head Coach-Dan Quinn
Defensive Coordinator- Jim Tomsula (current SF Defensive line coach)
Offensive Coordinator- Gary Kubiak (former Texans HC)

This is my wishful thinking at this stage.....

my current hopes:

HC: Pettine
OC: Bloomgren (current Stanford OC)
DC: Dunbar (current Jets DL - also, was Vikings DL when that was the strongest DL in the NFL)

also: Jeff Hafley & Anthony Weaver - have heard really good things about them and both have solid resume (but lacking years). Would like to bring them along, but not sure he'd be ready for a bigtime role. Perhaps DB & DL coach?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Whether or not we get solid coordinators this year, to me, is moot as long as we get the guy that will be our head coach for the next 7+ years.

If the guy we hire can become THE GUY, then he'll set in stone systems and philosophies, and then whether we get them this year, or next, or the one after, we will find the coordinators that can buy into and execute those ideas.

The important thing is to pick a freaking direction and stick with it - for once ..... it's the ONLY approach we haven't tried as an organization.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I never recall any NFL HC vacancy where three of the highly publicized candidates announced they weren't interested.

Can't say I'm surprised though .But I know we'll keep hearing BS excuses about it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
uh....wow thats an excellent point.

i don't remember other teams having that many people withdraw their name from consideration.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
It's also been a pretty non-traditional process in that they're not just going with the first guy they like that agrees to do it, instead making sure they get to complete the interview process with all the candidates they want to interview.

Time will tell if it's a good strategy or not.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

It's also been a pretty non-traditional process in that they're not just going with the first guy they like that agrees to do it, instead making sure they get to complete the interview process with all the candidates they want to interview.

Time will tell if it's a good strategy or not.

Yes, the "second time" will tell. This is their second swing in a year.

I just don't buy into it that they fired Chud so quickly without having some kind of plan in place.

I think that plan "withdrew" somewhere along the line.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What I don't get is this .......

Haslam and Manning are supposed to be good friends.

You can bet that Gase talked to Manning about Haslam at some point. (supposition on my part, but logical)

Did Manning try to dissuade Gase from coming here? Is the Haslam relationship with Manning overrated? I mean, if i was friends with a team owner, and friends with a coordinator, and there was any level of mutual interest for a head coaching position, then I would talk each up to the other. I think that most people would. That is the one aspect of this that really confuses me.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

Didn't Haslam say they were going to interview as many as possible, but that did not mean that everyone was going to be considered? Some would be regarded as maybe future OC/DC and such? I think Gase just got cold feet and knows he's not ready. Otherwise like you Ytown, I think Manning would deliver him to Jimmy on a platter. It's really a good thing, Young kid just needs some time. I think Jimmy has his mind set on Quinn, we just need to wait.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
V
Legend
Legend
V
GM and Clem. You know I love both of you guys.

Let me ask you a question. No BS.

You both say that you will give them this year. That's it. We already know that no matter what, most posters on here are going to bad-mouth whatever coach we hire, even if we could bring Paul Brown from the grave..........they are going to hate the hire. Couple that w/the possibility of us not winning many games next year. Heck, throw in the draft. Most will say every choice we make is stupid.........no matter who we pick. I see many posters setting themselves up to say exactly that already.

Now.........you both leave the team. I hope to God you don't as I really do love you both.....but you leave the team. Let's say the Browns start winning after that.

What will you do? Swallow your pride and come back, or hold a lifetime grudge and not enjoy what you have wished for since you were a lil pup?

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC Search, Part 4

Link Copied to Clipboard