Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What a fiasco this organization has become. I am officially withdrawing my name from consideration as HC

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

What a fiasco this organization has become. I am officially withdrawing my name from consideration as HC

LOL!

thats hilarious bro!

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

GM and Clem. You know I love both of you guys.

Let me ask you a question. No BS.

You both say that you will give them this year. That's it. We already know that no matter what, most posters on here are going to bad-mouth whatever coach we hire, even if we could bring Paul Brown from the grave..........they are going to hate the hire. Couple that w/the possibility of us not winning many games next year. Heck, throw in the draft. Most will say every choice we make is stupid.........no matter who we pick. I see many posters setting themselves up to say exactly that already.

Now.........you both leave the team. I hope to God you don't as I really do love you both.....but you leave the team. Let's say the Browns start winning after that.

What will you do? Swallow your pride and come back, or hold a lifetime grudge and not enjoy what you have wished for since you were a lil pup?

I've considered that question as well -- I assume I'd always come back (the fact that I am posting here in January is a good indication)......

OTOH, I think I might stop buying any Browns apparel until it's worth buying again.....

~Lyuokdea
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

That brought a tear to my eye. I feel so bad for these guys that are being paid millions to win 4 and 5 games a year..........every year..........no matter who the coach is, no matter who the GM is, no matter who the owner is.

Those poor, poor players. Gosh, I am so glad that I don't have to play a game that I love and make millions doing it. That is soooooooooooooo tragic.

Maybe we can start a relief fund for these poor souls.

its got me standing in a puddle of tears

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
That's a good answer, and one that echos what I'd say.

On the HC search, what about Del Rio? I have a feeling we'll hire an ex HC.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Let's see if the new Twitter rule screws us all

Quote:

I'm hearing Mike Pettine is going to get Browns job. A deal is close.

Mark Gaughan, Buffalo Sportswriter

Last edited by cfrs15; 01/22/14 12:49 AM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Then there is this. . .

Quote:

Browns' brass has left Mobile, Ala., and has another HC interview with another candidate tomorrow, a league source said.

Link

Nate Ulrich, Akron-Beacon Journal

C
Legend
Legend
C
Pro Football Reference - Mike Pettine

Pettine has never had a defense outside the top ten as a defensive coordinator.

Here is his bio from the Bills official site:

Quote:

Pettine will enter his 12th year in the NFL coaching ranks in 2013 and fifth as a defensive coordinator. He served in the same capacity with the New York Jets from 2009-12 overseeing a defense that finished in the top 10 in total defense each year.

Pettine’s 2012 defense limited their opponents to the second-fewest passing yards per game (189.8) and finished fifth in the AFC in total defense (323.4 total yards per game).

Over the last four years, the Jets’ defense held opposing passers to an NFL-low 71.0 quarterback rating, completion percentage (52.6%), passing yards (186.3 per game). New York forced the highest percentage of three-and-out drives (29.4%). The Jets’ defense yielded the second-fewest yards per game (294.8) and posted a 34.6 third-down efficiency mark while holding their opponents to an average of 20.0 points per game (seventh-fewest in the league). New York’s defense recorded 115 takeaways in Pettine’s four-year tenure – the second-most in the AFC (seventh in the NFL). New York had nine 100-yard receiving games against from 2009-2012, the fewest in the league.

Pettine implemented a completely new defense that finished first in points allowed (14.8 points per game), total defense (252.3 yards per game) and pass defense (153.7 passing yards per game) in his first year with the Jets in 2009 and as a defensive coordinator.

Prior to joining the Jets, Pettine was a member of the Baltimore Ravens’ coaching staff for seven years from 2002-08. In his last four seasons with the Ravens, he coached the outside linebackers as part of a defensive unit that ranked fifth (2005), first (2006), sixth (2007) and second (2008) in the NFL. Before being promoted to a position coach, Pettine was a defensive assistant working with the defensive line in 2004 after two years serving as coaching and video assistant and in a quality control role.

Before entering the NFL coaching ranks, Pettine was the head coach at North Penn (Towamencin Township, PA). He led the school to 45 wins in five years including an 11-2 mark in 1999. He also served as the head coach at William Tennent (Warminster, PA) High School for two years, leading the team to a school-record nine wins in 1996.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Of course, this is what we all thought when Chip Kelly got a second interview as well.....

At least one thing has improved - last year I got a week ban for posting that :-)

~Lyuokdea
M
Legend
Legend
M
Some later reports in regards to the potential Pettine hiring…

Ian Rapoport

Deal w/ Pettine Premature?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You both say that you will give them this year. That's it. We already know that no matter what, most posters on here are going to bad-mouth whatever coach we hire, even if we could bring Paul Brown from the grave..........they are going to hate the hire. Couple that w/the possibility of us not winning many games next year. Heck, throw in the draft. Most will say every choice we make is stupid.........no matter who we pick. I see many posters setting themselves up to say exactly that already.

Now.........you both leave the team. I hope to God you don't as I really do love you both.....but you leave the team. Let's say the Browns start winning after that.

What will you do? Swallow your pride and come back, or hold a lifetime grudge and not enjoy what you have wished for since you were a lil pup?

Good question. One that deserves an honest answer (Damn... this is gonna take some time-).

I guess the best way to describe it: I can feel myself becoming more numb and apathetic with each losing season, with each regime change... I'm caring less than I used to. I can see it happening, and I'm not even trying to fight it. It just happens to be where I am right now.

If it takes this team too long to turn the corner, I really do think I'll have lost interest... not in the team per se, but in "being a fan"... does that make sense?

"Being a fan" [Encycopedia Clemtannica]: chasing down stats, keeping up on the latest FO moves, roster spots, draft.. you know- all this geekstuff we DT'ers love to do as fanatics.

So you see... for me, it would never be an either/or between 'running back' or 'holding a grudge.' More accurately, I'd be less personally invested in the team... no matter what it does.

My 'one-year statement': here's the 411 on why I said it: For me, it's an 'evaluation year.' I'm going to watch a FO build from (just slightly above) Ground Level Zero. It's the hardest thing to do in the business, and it's the one thing that must be gotten absolutely right. That's where the Browns are, for whatever reasons- I don't care how they got here. Their first steps are crucial. All of the Browns 2014/15 inertia (positive or negative) rests on these first decisions.

What HasBanLomb do between now and January 2015 will tell me how much of my time and interest to invest over the next 3 years.

I'm giving them one more year of this current level of 'dedicated geekdom' before I fill out my report card. I'll be watching everything just as I have been. I'll be looking at on-field product, draft, coaching, FO moves- everything. If I don't see enough that makes me want to stay this involved, I'll start shifting my hobby time around. The team's ongoing story will simply start taking up less of my 'free time.' Browns will probably always be an interest, but much, MUCH less of a passion. I only have so much life left, My Dawg... and my interests have always been many and varied!

So- that's pretty much where I am with all this, and it's also the mindset behind the 'one year ultimatum.' If I see enough, I'll punch their ticket for another 12 months. If I don't, I'll be "shuffling my hobby roster." It won't be like flipping a light switch, mind you. It will probably be more like 'slowly turning down the lights on a dimmer switch.'

Like I said a month ago: for a number of years, I've actually been enjoying this website more than I've been enjoying the product that brought us all together. That's totally messed up, Vers- you know? What's worse, IMHO: even here, the DT subject matter this offseason is the same as it's been 6 times since '99. Dedicated fans of 50 years deserve better than that. I've dedicated myself to learning this game- this team- to better interact with all my Internet Dawgs on multiple levels... but there's only so much we can talk about if The Big Story never changes.

There's a reason the merry-go-round at the county fair is timed: if the ride lasts too long, even 7-year-olds will eventually get bored. I bought my ticket. I stood in line at DT and The Old Board. I joined the ride. Now, this molded plastic brown and orange horse I've been riding on is starting to wear my ass out.... and the ride ain't as much fun as it once was.

If you can keep up the fandon, more power to ya. I admire your fortitude.

For me, the Browns are becoming too much work to still be 'fun.'

I wanna spend the rest of my days having fun.
Life's too short.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Outstanding post Clem.

I understand where you are coming from, the Browns are becoming work, stressful work. It's odd, I used to jump out of my seat and cheer for a TD. Pump my fists on a huge a 3rd down stop. Anymore, and it's not a conscientious decision, it's just where I am at, I find myself sitting there quietly on those same plays and without much reaction. I've become accustomed to losing and watching them blow it.

I think what it boils down to is; I am losing my belief in the team. It's a terrible feeling, much worse than losing. I recall refusing to go trick-or-treat as a 7 or 8 year old kid because the Browns were playing the Oilers. I'm glad I didn't trick-or-treat that year because I got to watch Kosar throw two flea flickers to Webster Slaughter in an exciting victory. I'm rapidly losing that passion. Now, I feel like I am going through the motions rooting for the Browns just because it's what we do, it's just not the same anymore.

If they start winning again, I'll be a raving maniac fan like I've been for 99% of my life. Right now, I've been beaten down too many times and see little reason for optimism. I pray they prove me wrong. I'm in wait and see mode.

1st String
1st String
When we find someone to take the head coach job, he or she is going to have to hire a complete staff all over again. Which means....well...we know what it means. No continuity in the D or O play books and roster changes to suit the new schemes. We all know this goes way way beyond just a new head coach. This is déjà vu of déjà vu of déjà vu of....

As for the players? These are men of integrity, ambition and goals. I do feel sorry for them. I've had a very well paid job that had few rewards beyond payday, was frustrating and they kept changing the rules, and as much as I loved my profession I absolutely hated going to work every day. I watched lesser talented people receive awards and accolades for just being fortunate enough to be in the right situation at the right time.

Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joe Haden, Josh Gordon et al haven't seen a playoff appearance or win, a division championship, a league championship, or a Super Bowl appearance or gawd forbid hoist a Lombardi trophy. These guys are probably blocking out the fact that they will never even be mentioned in the football hall fame or little else inducted.

My hat is off to these guys who go out there and give 110% every week and at the end of the season! clean their lockers out in December and head home with another losing season behind them.

*hops down from soap box*

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Dean #843352 01/22/14 03:31 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If they make a great hire then I'll love the next coach. I'm dubious of that possibility however....

They should be talking to Brian Billick. He was OC on a Vikings team that is still fifth(IIRC)in scoring. That was 1998 I believe. Before defense was virtually illegal. He knows how to win in this division. He's 80-64 and right now I'd welcome that for the next 9 seasons. I'm not saying he's the greatest coach in the world. But he is capable of coaching at a higher level than we're used to. He's competent and I'll TAKE competent at the moment.

Problem is, no matter who they hire as HC, if Banner and Lombardi can't draft....Paul Brown would fail. It's crystal clear Banner and Lombardi won't cede power over the roster/draft/FA. So They better know their stuff. Last year didn't impress me much....

I've been a diehard fan of this team for a VERY long time..... Lately it's been difficult to feel anything but numb.

B
Legend
Legend
B
He's the guy I want. Great background from HS with his father the great coach himself, to his experience with he Ravens, Jets, and now the Bills.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
1st String
1st String
C
This is what the big search yielded? A stupid obscure coach,that I've never even heard of from the crappy Bills? That's the best they can do..really? Then screw the FO,and I wouldn't advise any fans to purchase tickets to any and all games.This is total bullcrap,and makes the firing of Chud a complete waste of time.Furious about this...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

I never recall any NFL HC vacancy where three of the highly publicized candidates announced they weren't interested.

Can't say I'm surprised though .But I know we'll keep hearing BS excuses about it.

I just heard somewhere (I think Mary Kay Cabot) that Gase called Haslam today to withdraw his name from the search. Who are the other two that have withdrawn from contention?

Maybe the word is out there that this isn't a good place to come? In the case of Gase, I'm not sure I'd come here. He's got Manning for at least another year I'd think.. Maybe more and a shot at getting to another Superbowl next season.. I think I'd stay put..

The way I read it was gase withdrew after there were reports we were't going to wait around for him.

Once a coach gets the sense he isn't in contention, they withdraw their name to make it look like it was their decision.

I don't know if this was the case or not, but then neither do you and some of he others who want to make a big issue out of this. I am simply illustrating there is anoher side to the coin and how the process can work.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I said I would give the front office one more year, not the Browns. I will never give up on the Browns. I eat, sleep, and breath The Browns 24/7 365 bro. I won't bash whatever coach we hire as you know I didn't bash any of the coaches we have hired over the years until they proved they didn't deserve to be the head coach of the Browns.

You also won't see me bashing the guys we draft this season as I have always said it takes 3 years to tell if a guy is going to be a good pick, a bust, or just average. That's not going to change now just because I don't like or trust our current front office.

I am giving the front office one more year to prove to me that they are not as stupid, and clueless as I think they are before I start bashing them at every turn. You know I don't flood pure football with a lot of posts because I prefer to bit my tongue a lot of the time, and to think things out before commenting from my heart instead of my head. (Unless I'm drinking )

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Twitter once again makes people look like twits

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He used a source I've never even heard of. Some of you guys suck at Twitter. You don't just search a browns rumour and post it. It's no different than posting some hack no name reporter as a source. Look for corroborating reports before posting.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Then you guys do need to walk away. It's just football.

Sure, I get upset and frustrated, but not to the level it becomes a life altering event...and changing how I feel about the team would be life altering. Great, good, fair, or poor, I am a Browns fan for life.

The only change I might make is giving up my season tickets, but that is bound to happen anyway. Not because I don't like or want to support the team. It is just getting harder to travel to as many games as needed to justify keeping the tickets. When it gets to the point I can only make 2-3 games, I will be better off dumping the seats and just pay a premium price for single game seats.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

This is what the big search yielded? A stupid obscure coach,that I've never even heard of from the crappy Bills? That's the best they can do..really? Then screw the FO,and I wouldn't advise any fans to purchase tickets to any and all games.This is total bullcrap,and makes the firing of Chud a complete waste of time.Furious about this...

LOL....I think the guy would be a great hire. Maybe you need to check out the guy and what he has done before you start calling the guy stupid.

I think you are just going to have to get over your Chud worship. The guy is gone....oh....I wouldn't be seeking your advice on if I should go to games or not. If you don't want to go, don't go. It's your choice. Always has been, always will be.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=9333

Ugly, ugly, ugly if even half true

"The Cleveland Browns organization is not getting much respect here at the Senior Bowl. The attitude towards the Browns, specifically the front office, from personnel people around the league has ranged from disparaging to downright nasty. Several comments were passed at the South’s afternoon practice that few are surprised the Cleveland franchise cannot find a head coach considering “those in charge”. In fact choice adjectives were used by front office people here in Mobile to describe “those in charge” in Cleveland."

B
Legend
Legend
B
Not much to say about that. I can't like it, but I am also not all that worried about it.

Maybe we are on a sinking ship. I just don't see any life boats, so just ride it out and hope. What else can one do? I guess I or we could decide to not be fans any longer, but I don't see that happening....at least with me.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Quote:

LOL....I think the guy would be a great hire. Maybe you need to check out the guy and what he has done before you start calling the guy stupid.

I think you are just going to have to get over your Chud worship. The guy is gone....oh....I wouldn't be seeking your advice on if I should go to games or not. If you don't want to go, don't go. It's your choice. Always has been, always will be.

Chud worship? You clearly must have me mistaken for someone else.I could care less about that guy.If this Mike whoever he is,is soo great,then why hasn't his name been a hot topic around the league? Wouldn't one of the other teams hired him for a HC job,before waiting for us to take him? I think no one wants to come here,and that's what they got left with.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

He used a source I've never even heard of. Some of you guys suck at Twitter. You don't just search a browns rumour and post it. It's no different than posting some hack no name reporter as a source. Look for corroborating reports before posting.

You mean like that anonymous report you posted from the senior bowl?

#GMSTRONG
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I like Twitts...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Mark Gaughan is his source. He is the HOF voter for Buffalo and has been the lead beat writer for the Bills since 1999 and is the most respected Bills voice. He is Buffalo's equivalent of Mary Kay Cabot (only, not quite so reliant on the retweet button...). Hardly a bad source.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

"The Cleveland Browns organization is not getting much respect here at the Senior Bowl. The attitude towards the Browns, specifically the front office, from personnel people around the league has ranged from disparaging to downright nasty. Several comments were passed at the South’s afternoon practice that few are surprised the Cleveland franchise cannot find a head coach considering “those in charge”. In fact choice adjectives were used by front office people here in Mobile to describe “those in charge” in Cleveland."

Sadly, I'm not surprised one bit. I'm sorry but this is looking worse and worse by the day. Hopefully we are able to find a coach that doesn't feel this way (or simply wants a bump in his salary ) and takes the job. And hopefully, these guys luckily "back in" to a coach that becomes successful here.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You mean like that anonymous report you posted from the senior bowl?

Have myself an out with the "even if it's half true." I'm learning from the best how to hedge my bets.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

In fact choice adjectives were used by front office people here in Mobile to describe “those in charge” in Cleveland."

Sounds worse than being called the 3 stooges..

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
J/k

We need to find a coach that will take all this negative media and turn it into us against the world type thing, bottom line Haslem needs to find a leader of men, someone with a pair of nads who doesnt care what others say, someone guys want to run thru a brink wall for, someone who understand to be succesful he is going to have to surround himself with smart succesful leaders..

Cleveland needs a leader of men, this is why I think Pettine got a 2nd interview, Honestly Gase might have been a very good coach, very smart offensivly but does he have the stomach and the backbone needed to turn this thing around, we need more than just a smart xxx's & o'sss coach, and for that Gase isnt the man, he might be great down the road with someone else, but to me he didnt have the nads to turn this around.

With that being said, I feel Pettine or Quinn is our man

it's time for a next generation of coachs to emerge, older coachs Grudens, shannahans, cowlers, Johnsons all have done what they wanted to do, It's time for these younger versions to rise up and make a name for themselves, The Browns need to look for the next Cowler, Tomlin, Dungy, remember there was a time people screamed why are you hiring that Dungy guy, ya he's a good Defencive Cordinator but he will fail as a head coach,

If it takes another 2-3 weeks for us to find this next great coach than take the time, 2-3 weeks to bring us years of winning, ya go ahead Haslem do it right, find us a leader, let others talk 90% of them have thier mouth connected to thier wallets, give the $ 100.00 and they write about how the Browns are doing it right, taking thier time, it's all how you spin it.

I guess what I'm blowing steam off saying is ...Heck what others say, yes we might be a bit disfunctional but it's our disfunction, we might have created a mess here in Cleveland but it's our mess, Let them talk, who are they anyway and why should what they say all of a sudden mean something to us, heck 24 hours ago we didnt even know those reporters or people exsisted, so why now do we feel we need to listen to them, or these comments mean anything to us Browns fans...

Haslem we need a leader as a coach not just a smart energetic coach

Last edited by ClayM57; 01/22/14 09:10 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
jc:

Still hoping it will be Quinn.

Tackles are tackles.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Well Phil Savage does run the Senior Bowl last time I checked. He probably has nothing good to say about the Browns since they ended his career.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Well Phil Savage does run the Senior Bowl last time I checked. He probably has nothing good to say about the Browns since they ended his career.

Very true. But the tone of the paragraph leans that these comments are coming from many different directions. But whatever, people can take it for what it is worth.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Then you guys do need to walk away. It's just football.

Sure, I get upset and frustrated, but not to the level it becomes a life altering event...and changing how I feel about the team would be life altering. Great, good, fair, or poor, I am a Browns fan for life.

I am a fan for life too. Life altering event? No, not hardly. Am I less enthused than in years past? Yes. To think it has any negative impact on my life is beyond silly. Like you say, at the end of the day, it's just football. We are all just sharing our opinions here.

Now, go hire Mike Pettine and bring some attitude and fire back to this team that been lacking for decades.

D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

SANTA CLARA -- Coach Jim Harbaugh said Tuesday he's spoken with the Cleveland Browns regarding assistants on his 49ers staff that might be candidates for the Browns' vacant head-coaching job.

"There's possibilities," Harbaugh said without naming which assistants he discussed.

Defensive line coach Jim Tomsula was mentioned Monday by ESPN as a potential candidate. Harbaugh, earlier this month, endorsed Tomsula, offensive coordinator Greg Roman, defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and special-teams coordinator Brad Seely when more head-coach vacancies existed.

Read more at:
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_24959188/jim-harbaugh-says-49ers-assistants-might-be-cleveland

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Sadly, I'm not surprised one bit. I'm sorry but this is looking worse and worse by the day. Hopefully we are able to find a coach that doesn't feel this way (or simply wants a bump in his salary ) and takes the job. And hopefully, these guys luckily "back in" to a coach that becomes successful here.

We have been saying as much on this board since they were hired. The NFL is only a year behind the Dawgtalkers! About time they caught up. Now when will Haslem???

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Legend
Legend
B
So you are interested in a hot name. Gotcya.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Call me naive, but I've been sensing the media is trying their hardest to make things look SO MUCH WORSE over the last week or so. Don't get me wrong, things are BAD. But c'mon. The media is trying to portray Cleveland as some ticking time-bomb. Is this the worst we've all really felt about our sports?

What's the difference between now and after the SuperBowl at this point? Of ALL the guys we're interested in, are we really looking at possibly losing them to postitional jobs on other teams when they could have our head-coaching job?

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC Search, Part 4

Link Copied to Clipboard