Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

This is what the big search yielded? A stupid obscure coach,that I've never even heard of from the crappy Bills? That's the best they can do..really? Then screw the FO,and I wouldn't advise any fans to purchase tickets to any and all games.This is total bullcrap,and makes the firing of Chud a complete waste of time.Furious about this...

Look, I'm not exactly tickled with this front office, but what do you expect from a search? A search is going to find things that were not obvious. Like when you open up your fridge and don't see any beer, but you move that old Parmesan cheese, scooch over that Tupperware that you're not sure what's in it anymore, look behind the eggnog that you probably should have already tossed and - hallelujah! - a cold brew! I'm not saying that the beer is your favorite brand, or that it might not be skunked, but you found a beer that no one else knew was there! You searched and found something that was hidden before. If the beer was on the top shelf in front then it wouldn't have been a search. Did you think our "search" would turn up Bill Cowher, John Gruden, and Mike Shannahan? We already knew where they were!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
Have you been rummaging through my fridge?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
People are getting very worked up and we haven't even hired anyone??

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Worked up over a damn fine candidate at that . . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Now, go hire Mike Pettine and bring some attitude and fire back to this team that been lacking for decades.

Would love to see fire and urgency to win.... A young John Madden...

This brought back a memory to me...The last coach who tried to motivate and bring fire... Terry Robiskie..Oh man was that something else...

In his first team meeting as interim coach of the Browns last week, Terry Robiskie walked to the front of the room with a shovel and a bucket of ice. After asking those players who considered themselves leaders to join him, Robiskie grabbed the shovel and said, "If I were digging a hole to hell and going to fight the devil and had nothing but this bucket of ice to fight him with, would you go with me?" Then, reminding the players that they needed to unite in the wake of the departure of coach Butch Davis, Robiskie said, "We can go in together, stand with each other, or we can go our separate ways."

Defensive end Kenard Lang said the players were moved by the speech. Yet on Sunday the Pats' Bethel Johnson returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, and New England was on its way to a 42--15 rout of Cleveland.

link

I needed a little humor this morning....

I haven't been all that worried... I do believe things will work out.... And if not...It's not anything mind blowing for this org....

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Browns | Mike Pettine close to deal

Wed, 22 Jan 2014 05:19:46 -0800

The Cleveland Browns are close to a deal to hire Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

Source: The Buffalo News - Mark Gaughan

Legend
Legend
How is his name pronounced?

Pe-TINE
Pe-teen

Just wondering

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I believe it's like PETTIN' a cat . . .

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
JC

Can't wait for all the image macros comparing Pettine to Walter White. Gives a whole new meaning for Breaking Bad... Amirite?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Other teams will need to tread lightly . . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would like to see Quinn get his 2nd interview... And hope the FO isn't now rushing into a decision do to what has been said in Mobile..

I would have thought if they were going to hire Mike Pettine.. they would have done that last night at his 2nd interview.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I would like to see Quinn get his 2nd interview... And hope the FO isn't now rushing into a decision do to what has been said in Mobile..

I would have thought if they were going to hire Mike Pettine.. they would have done that last night at his 2nd interview.

Maybe they more or less did, then turned it over the legal teams to get it ironed out. You don't announce a hire until the guy is hired.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I like Twitts...

you mispelled that again.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll believe it when I see it officially announced, but he comes from good stock. his father is a legendary HS coach. He's coached at every level, worked his way up and had success at every level.

BpG #843393 01/22/14 12:03 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Really nothing to not like about the guys background.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Maybe they more or less did, then turned it over the legal teams to get it ironed out. You don't announce a hire until the guy is hired.

You may be right there buddy... Just seemed to me in past hires.. they were announced immediately... then the next thing was ... they are in the process of all the legal aspects of it...

To bad his daughters twitter account was closed... we would know for sure then...

Legend
Legend
Not sure if anyone has heard this ....Pepper Johnson has left the NE Patriots. Seems he's been unhappy about not being promoted to DC. He deserves a interview here IMO. Anyone with a chip on their shoulder directed against BB is worth a look.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
If I were Pettine i'd want something in my contract making me almost impossible to fire after one year....

He's still a young guy - nothing kills your chance at getting a future quality HC gig than being fired after one year.

~Lyuokdea
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
"I am the one who coaches"

BpG #843398 01/22/14 12:05 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only thing I heard was that he wasn't real familiar with Offense... Which is why you get a good OC..

And that he was the one who leaked a story when he was in the Jets org.. and that pissed off Ryan.

Last edited by DeisleDawg; 01/22/14 12:08 PM.
BpG #843399 01/22/14 12:07 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
I think with the way this search has gone, if this next coach, Pettine, or whoever, doesn't work out, I think Banner gets shown the door (which will result in Lombardi being shown the door). It's clear their actions and probably their reputations have scared away a lot of candidates.

The one thing I was thinking about yesterday is how the NFL screwed us. They set us up with Jimmy, and that's fine. He has his issues, but I believe him when he says he wants to do what he can to get us back up.

But didn't the league set him up with Banner? Banner was a cap guy who slowly got pushed out of Philly, no?

Why would they send us a cap guy? The Browns situation isn't in cap hell, and isn't even close. It's the exact opposite.

Then you go back to '99 when we came back and they screwed us in the expansion draft...

Do they want us being horrible because they know we support whatever they do?

Maybe, I'm just thinking too much but I think a lot of fans are already tired of Joe Banner. More of the same. They should have put a football guy in his job.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I wouldn't say either of their actions have hurt the team, but it's the unknowing that's hurting the team. No one knows Haslam and have their reserves about getting in bed with him. If Lerner would have done this then I don't think we'd have a problem with finding another coach, because everyone knows what he's like. With Haslam you have one real coach in one real year so it's hard to get a read on him.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Call me naive, but I've been sensing the media is trying their hardest to make things look SO MUCH WORSE over the last week or so. Don't get me wrong, things are BAD. But c'mon. The media is trying to portray Cleveland as some ticking time-bomb. Is this the worst we've all really felt about our sports?

What's the difference between now and after the SuperBowl at this point? Of ALL the guys we're interested in, are we really looking at possibly losing them to postitional jobs on other teams when they could have our head-coaching job?

I won't call you naive.

Maybe "Spot on" "Obvious" etc....

Hey, all you guys, don't get caught up in all this. Wake Up! For years I have been labeling these guys as girl talk, and many of you didn't like it. Its the same girl talk over and over. If any of you have 12-14 year old daughters, sit back and listen to them and their friends for about 30 minutes. It will end up enriching you about as much as listening to Dan Patrick, Mike and Mike, cowwhatever, and the opinions of the many minions. Its almost the same thing! The sports media's opinions about the Browns will end up being about as relevant next fall as Middle School girl's opinions about the cheerleader who is too fat.

We have two big problems. One is, if we hire a Defensive guy, there are no obvious top notch offensive coordinators available. Two, Banner and Lombardi may need to be replaced over the next year, and if so, it could be messy and set us back again.

If we get lucky. Just plain lucky and find a guy who not only can handle the job, but explodes on the scene. And if we get lucky and get a quarterback that can do the same, all this will be nothing but a part of the Cleveland Brown process. Its always been a very unique process, so who should be surprised?

I have a feeling that when we lift the Lombardi, it won't be because some referee gave us a good call or shifted the momentum. When it happens, there will be no doubt. Its weird, but my gut says that maybe all this mess is necessary before the real foundation is going to be laid. We have some players, we have some draft picks, We have some cap money. I think we may have a real owner (although many won't agree with that right now). We have at least four things that we really haven't had much of in the past.

Chill out.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

If I were Pettine i'd want something in my contract making me almost impossible to fire after one year....

He's still a young guy - nothing kills your chance at getting a future quality HC gig than being fired after one year.

I'd say after this year, he doesn't need that gurantee. lol

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

One thing I don't like about his back ground is this...

Weeden threw 197 yds and a TD.. McGahee ran for a TD ...Against his Defense...

I remember walking out of the Stadium with Columbus... saying " thank God the Bills Defense sucked"...

That's only one game.... But one I remember well....

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

One thing I don't like about his back ground is this...

Weeden threw 197 yds and a TD.. McGahee ran for a TD ...Against his Defense...

I remember walking out of the Stadium with Columbus... saying " thank God the Bills Defense sucked"...

That's only one game.... But one I remember well....

We had a punt return and a defensive touchdown and we won by 13 points. Not saying your point isn't valid, just pointing it out.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Call me naive, but I've been sensing the media is trying their hardest to make things look SO MUCH WORSE over the last week or so

That's a good point. They're trying to sell papers, and negativity sells. If this were a "normal" off season (although it is sort of normal for the Browns!), there wouldn't be much to write about.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
BpG #843406 01/22/14 12:38 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Not saying your point isn't valid, just pointing it out.

No prob... I just remember when Hoyer got hurt and Weeden came in.. I thought oh boy !.... Good game we won..

I'm not judging Pettine on one game... that was the only game I had any real look at him.. That's my only knowledge of him..

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

Report: Attitude Toward Browns at Senior Bowl is "Disparaging to Downright Nasty"

The Senior Bowl is one of the events in which members of the media and team and front office personnel from across the NFL gather in one spot. It's a place where you hope to get a vibe on potential players your team might draft, or where preliminary trade discussions can commence.

For the Cleveland Browns, though, it's where everyone else apparently nods their head in uniformity at the dysfunction in the team's front office. That report comes via Tony Pauline (formerly of SI.com) of DraftInsider.net during his "Tuesday Buzz" article from the Senior Bowl:

The Cleveland Browns organization is not getting much respect here at the Senior Bowl. The attitude towards the Browns, specifically the front office, from personnel people around the league has ranged from disparaging to downright nasty. Several comments were passed at the South’s afternoon practice that few are surprised the Cleveland franchise cannot find a head coach considering "those in charge". In fact choice adjectives were used by front office people here in Mobile to describe "those in charge" in Cleveland.
"Those in charge" likely refer to Browns CEO Joe Banner and general manager Michael Lombardi. The funny thing is that the guy actually doing the work at the Senior Bowl, assistant general manager Ray Farmer, is probably the only respected guy of the group, and he'll probably end up taking a good share of his knowledge to the Miami Dolphins soon.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/1/22/5...-disparaging-to

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Glad I had some people paying attention.

Too bad Olskool now has me worried we won't land a good enough Offensive Coordinator.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=9333

Ugly, ugly, ugly if even half true

"The Cleveland Browns organization is not getting much respect here at the Senior Bowl. The attitude towards the Browns, specifically the front office, from personnel people around the league has ranged from disparaging to downright nasty. Several comments were passed at the South’s afternoon practice that few are surprised the Cleveland franchise cannot find a head coach considering “those in charge”. In fact choice adjectives were used by front office people here in Mobile to describe “those in charge” in Cleveland."

Sadly, I'm not surprised one bit. I'm sorry but this is looking worse and worse by the day. Hopefully we are able to find a coach that doesn't feel this way (or simply wants a bump in his salary ) and takes the job. And hopefully, these guys luckily "back in" to a coach that becomes successful here.

Nope, the browns aren't a toxic situation at all.. nope.

I don't care much for the media, they push whatever story that gets readers in an uproar. So you have to take this stuff with a grain of salt I think.

But still, we keep hearing it over and over again from more than one source that the Browns aren't considered a great situation. This flies in the face of Haslam saying they have a good job here.

Time will tell, I did make judgements on this at first, but I think I need to cool my jets and let it play out.

Last edited by Damanshot; 01/22/14 12:41 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

He used a source I've never even heard of. Some of you guys suck at Twitter. You don't just search a browns rumour and post it.

As others have said, Gaughan is the equivalent of using Mary Kay Cabot as a source. He is the President of the Pro Football Writers of America. Gaughan was retweeted by other respected reporters. What more do you want?

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Everybody, including Haslam, knows our problem now is that if we hire a Defensive guy, there aren't a whole lot of innovative offensive guys around to groom a rookie quarterback.

So, we have to look at guys like Koetter. And, I still believe McNuggets is in the mix (although that is getting tougher and tougher to believe).

Hiring a defensive guy has to be a tough decision.

I moved to Boise the same time Koetter took over at Boise State.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Everybody, including Haslam, knows our problem now is that if we hire a Defensive guy, there aren't a whole lot of innovative offensive guys around to groom a rookie quarterback.

I am not sure I understand. Not many offensive guys to hire as head coach or no good offensive coordinators available?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All of them were stupid crappy coaches nobody heard of at some point. New superstar coaches will come in as coordinators. Maybe we'll hit on one of the new breed!

Seems to be down to two pretty fiery guys and fiery guys hate to lose. My first prerequisite in a coach!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If this Mike whoever he is,is soo great,then why hasn't his name been a hot topic around the league? Wouldn't one of the other teams hired him for a HC job,before waiting for us to take him? I think no one wants to come here,and that's what they got left with.

Pettine has a similar resume (only with more actual DC experience) to Mike Tomlin... and distinctly remember when the Steelers hired him the general concensus was... WHO?

He hadn't been interviewed before for a HC gig that I'm aware of, he wasn't considered a "hot candidate" for anything... He sort of came out of nowhere..... I'm sorry but the NFL's history of going after the next hot coordinator isn't a very successful track record. Maybe going off the grid a little bit and actually looking for the qualities it takes to be a HC is a good idea, since those qualities are different than what it takes to be a good OC/DC....

I will give you this though, Tomlin walked into a winning team and a stable organization.... and you can't overestimate how much that is worth... our next HC is going to have to be the guy that helps build it... which is far more difficult..

yebat' Putin
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Both

Dirk Koetter isn't going to stand on the platform with the Lombardi.

We can't hire any current NFL offensive coordinator for the same position.

If we bring Mr. Football in, or Teddy, or ??? we really need somebody who is good. Really good.

I think Haslam is probably thinking that he has to hire a Head Coach who is an offensive guy, simply because that is the only way he is going to get anyone competent enough to run a top notch, innovative, NFL offense, and who can groom the QB that everybody seems to believe we MUST draft now!

If he hires Quinn or Pettine, who are they going to bring in?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

if we hire a Defensive guy, there aren't a whole lot of innovative offensive guys around to groom a rookie quarterback.

I don't know... there could be a positional coach that could step up and become a good OC... I was pretty let down with Norv as far as his work with Weeden...

We just won't know till we see the results on the field this season.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
That is why I believe McDaniels still must be in the mix.

Listen,

Adam Gase was flat out STUPID to not jump at this job.

STUPID!

Think about it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That is why I believe McDaniels still must be in the mix.

Listen,

Adam Gase was flat out STUPID to not jump at this job.

STUPID!

Think about it.

Gase knew he wasn't ready... I believe that was smart on his part.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC Search, Part 4

Link Copied to Clipboard