Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
E
Legend
Legend
E
Of course the guy you are calling a bum is the odds on guy to get the HC - I've read and heard that the 2nd interview went great and we are very impressed with him.

I assume it serves no purpose to rush now - pretty much everyone has their staff so we might as well finish our interviews. Quinn and nothing mentioned about Del Rio so I doubt that will be it.

Pettine I think will be the guy (possibly Quinn) don't want to get excited just yet - too many let downs.

Just curious Knight O BROWN...I know you are far from a positive poster from memory...but why is he a Bum? What do you know that possibly nobody else does. If you got some info please share it - I don't wish to find out after the fact.

Thanks in advance.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

If he hires Quinn or Pettine, who are they going to bring in?

There were rumors that Quinn was going to bring Kubiak. Kubiak really would be an ideal person to groom a QB. Although if he was successful he would probably get another head coaching job.

eotab #843421 01/22/14 01:02 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Pettine I think will be the guy (possibly Quinn) don't want to get excited just yet -

Would you be more excited with Quinn ? I do know I would like to see him get a second interview...

Last edited by DeisleDawg; 01/22/14 01:03 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
both seem similar...at this point - I just wish it done. There is no perfect science about it. I'm leaning with Pettine but don't wish to get too settled on him. I would say he is my preference. He seems to have the Character that I would wish a team to be molded around.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Quote:

That is why I believe McDaniels still must be in the mix.

Listen,

Adam Gase was flat out STUPID to not jump at this job.

STUPID!

Think about it.

Gase knew he wasn't ready... I believe that was smart on his part.

Yea, but Deisle, you don't ever give up a chance at generational wealth (ie not only you, but your relatives are set for life). Never.

In addition, this actually is a very good job. And, Banner's blunderings would give any new coach a certain sort of protection. At least in my mind.

As many on here has said, if Gase falls off the charts next year then his opportunity to come in, build, innovate, overcome, be a hero, gain generational wealth, etc... is over.

Haslam is right. This is a very good job. Despite Banner and Lombardi.

Cleveland is a football town. To be the big guacamole in Cleveland, at this time is a very, very good job.

If he isn't ready, that is on Banner and Haslam. He isn't going to be blackballed from NFL jobs if he fails as a 35 year old head coach of Cleveland.

Gase made a big mistake.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Yea, but Deisle, you don't ever give up a chance at generational wealth (ie not only you, but your relatives are set for life). Never.

How much were they going to pay him? Jimmy Haslam has generational wealth. Adam Gase was going to make like $4 million a year.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Quote:

If he hires Quinn or Pettine, who are they going to bring in?

There were rumors that Quinn was going to bring Kubiak. Kubiak really would be an ideal person to groom a QB. Although if he was successful he would probably get another head coaching job.

Do you think Kubiak would discard his WCO roots, his philosophy, and adopt current NFL offensive strategies?

I think that is a problem with him right now.

If they are really going for Johnny F. would he be the guy to groom him?

?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Should Mike Pettine get the Browns HC job, I'm told Alex Van Pelt (Pack RB coach) high on his list as Offensive Coordinator candidates

Link

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
4 million

over 4 years = 16 million

cut it in half for taxes and our good buddy Bob Lamonte

Approx 8 million net.

My wife and I, and our three kids and their families, can easily make that work.

Easily

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I do remember Van Pelt being a pretty heady QB back in the day. Not a great QB on the field, but serviceable and smart.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Gase made a big mistake.

He should have at least interviewed...

It may seem like a mistake... It's on how he feels what it will take for him to be successful in his future...

If he couldn't commit 100% to the job... more than likely he would have failed..And I appreciate he didn't take the job just for the money..

I much rather have the guy who wants to do this job...

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

Quote:

Really nothing to not like about the guys background.

One thing I don't like about his back ground is this...

Weeden threw 197 yds and a TD.. McGahee ran for a TD ...Against his Defense...

I remember walking out of the Stadium with Columbus... saying " thank God the Bills Defense sucked"...

That's only one game.... But one I remember well....

Seriously? 197 yards, 1 td, and McGahee ran for a TD = sucks?

McGahee had 2.5 yards per carry that game, Weeden was an amazing 13/24 and was sacked 5 times.

The Bills defense surely "sucked" that game. Us winning had nothing to do with Travis Benjamin setting a franchise record for punt return yardage with 180 (almost as much as Weeden threw for), including a td. It also didn't have anything to do with the fact that we injured their starting QB and got a pick 6 off their back up.

14 of our 37 points were strictly scored on defense/special teams. The rest was set up by amazing field position, a bomb to Gordon, a bomb to Little, and the fact that the Bills offense couldn't move the ball at all.

Their defense really "sucked"

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is why I believe McDaniels still must be in the mix.

Listen,

Adam Gase was flat out STUPID to not jump at this job.

STUPID!

Think about it.

Gase knew he wasn't ready... I believe that was smart on his part.

In addition, this actually is a very good job. And, Banner's blunderings would give any new coach a certain sort of protection. At least in my mind.

As many on here has said, if Gase falls off the charts next year then his opportunity to come in, build, innovate, overcome, be a hero, gain generational wealth, etc... is over.

Haslam is right. This is a very good job. Despite Banner and Lombardi.

Cleveland is a football town. To be the big guacamole in Cleveland, at this time is a very, very good job.

If he isn't ready, that is on Banner and Haslam. He isn't going to be blackballed from NFL jobs if he fails as a 35 year old head coach of Cleveland.

Gase made a big mistake.

If Manning doesn't retire Gase will be fine. He can sit in Peyton's shadow for another year continuing to build his 'young genius' status. Then jump after Manning retires. As long as Manning is his QB he'll have a resume.

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

The national piling on continues. Haslam needs to turn this thing around in a bad, bad way. Quickly.

Browns Coaching Search

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

yep that's what I said...Look at it how ever you want.

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

Quote:

yep that's what I said...Look at it how ever you want.

I know you said that, I quoted you. Nice counter-argument to your comment explaining why you feel that way.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

j/c…

The national piling on continues. Haslam needs to turn this thing around in a bad, bad way. Quickly.

Browns Coaching Search

I can't help but think Jimmy is sitting somewhere thinking "this sure isn't like Pilot. When I fired people before, all my 'yes men' congratulated me on making a tough decision. Replacing the fired person was easy. Now, I'm getting ridiculed for jumping the gun..........but, but, but, I was only trying to show people that I wouldn't tolerate losing. Why can't they see that? Why is my firing Chud after less than a year causing backlash? Why am I the bad guy? I should be looked up to for my decision making process and leadership. And why won't anyone come to work for me now?"

And banner and lombardi are saying "Ah, we'll get the guy we want.......he's right here.....oops, he wasn't who we wanted anyway, it's this guy....oops, he didn't want to be here, so it's this guy......nuts, he said no as well. Hey, Jimmy, ever hear of this dude? He's who we wanted all along.....crap, he just dissed us. But, Jimmy, we have a lot of cap space and draft picks....we'll hire a coach later. Hey, Jimmy, you still like us, right?"

Oh well, one thing we know, time will tell. Nothing I can do about it. Banner and lombardi are almost certainly feeling the heat. Uber wealthy people don't like to look bad, and they most times insist they are right, and surround themselves with people that will bow down to them instead of stand up to them.

eotab #843436 01/22/14 02:18 PM
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

Of course the guy you are calling a bum is the odds on guy to get the HC - I've read and heard that the 2nd interview went great and we are very impressed with him.

I assume it serves no purpose to rush now - pretty much everyone has their staff so we might as well finish our interviews. Quinn and nothing mentioned about Del Rio so I doubt that will be it.

Pettine I think will be the guy (possibly Quinn) don't want to get excited just yet - too many let downs.

Just curious Knight O BROWN...I know you are far from a positive poster from memory...but why is he a Bum? What do you know that possibly nobody else does. If you got some info please share it - I don't wish to find out after the fact.

Thanks in advance.

I would love to be positive eotab, but this team hasn't given us much to cheer for since 2007. I am a very fun, upbeat guy Eotab, Its just with the Browns i call it how i see it, until the Browns start winning they will be seen as stiffs around the league...winning will cure that.

As for Pettine, i think he is a stiff because:

1. His D ranked 28th in the NFL last year in run defense...if you want to win the NFL you gotta stop the run, and make teams one dimensional, and Pettine and his D in Buffalo didn't do that...Sure he ranked 4th against the pass, but why pass when you can just run the ball down their throats? His D was worse then Horton's...just saying.

2. The fact his D made Brandon Weeden look like a viable NFL QB...that alone should be enough to make one run, and run fast. Weeden don't even belong in the NFL and he was able to look decent against Pettines D.

Look I will be thrilled if we get Quinn...I will be happy as can be. I think Quinn is a good aggressive coach. I think he is a guy this team will rally around, and the guy is a winner. Its just my opinion, but i think Pettine is overrated....You can't possibly say he had a good D, a D worth getting a head coaching job when his run D ranked 28th in the league.

Here is the 4 teams that played in the Title Games, and their rushing stats as a team.

49ers: 3rd, 505 att, 2201 yds, 4.4 yds/att
Seahawks: 4th, 509 att, 2188 yds, 4.3 yds/att
Patriots: 9th, 470 att, 2065 yds, 4.4 yds/att
Broncos: 15th, 461 att, 1873 yds, 4.1 yds/att

3 of the 4 teams in the Conference Title Games Ranked 3rd, 4th, and 9th in rushing...and people want to think running the ball isn't important...running the ball is every bit as important as having a good QB, and so is stopping the run.

Quinn is a better coach, Quinn is a better DC, and at least Quinn knows you have to stop the run in the NFL if you want any chance of winning a game...Run D was pretty much absent in Buffalo last year.....We have Ray Rice and a very run heavy Cinci team in this division...that don't bode well....

Give me Quinn any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Haslam is probably thinking that he has to hire a Head Coach who is an offensive guy, simply because that is the only way he is going to get anyone competent enough to run a top notch, innovative, NFL offense, and who can groom the QB that everybody seems to believe we MUST draft now!

If you were an accomplished offensive coach would you rather work for an offensive minded HC, where you might have to share control... or a defensive HC who seems more likely to give you the room to do your own thing?

yebat' Putin
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Weeden did not look good against the Bills

How deprived are we from having a QB that 12-23 with a sub 200 yard game. being sacked 5 times, and 1 td is good?

Last edited by LittleGregBig; 01/22/14 02:30 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I could care less what the Bozos say regardless if it mirrors my sentiments or not.

What really did bother me is what our players think about Haslam n our other leaders ergo the FO. This was the quote made by Fujita regarding his correspondence with players on the team. That is why us signing Mack n Ward is so key and a pretty good litmus test on the general feeling with the NEW REGIME all fall out from the recent firing. Still say it was a dumbarse move not well thought out.

Got to get this new guy in. Pettine...if its him screw the promised interview...go sign him and get this going on the right track and by waiting it looks like its becomes the 2nd or 3rd choice just as Chud was to be.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I hadn't looked at it that way. Interesting take..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Knight of Brown, and you are not the only one stating, why does having good stats make a good coach?

First, Buffalo is in need of talent. After all they have drafted top 10 the last few years. Second, Bills went through a coaching change. It'll most likely take a couple of years. Third, defense was handicapped having a offense run by a rookie QB. Lastly, Pettine did do well in New York, and he done well every level he coached. Dig a little deeper see how Pettine did with the talent level given. Buffalo was competitive.

I am not saying he will make a great HC. I'm simply saying those stats don't prove he'll be a a bad or good coach. It is like saying a baseball with a high batting average and most home runs makes a great team manager.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Really nothing to not like about the guys background.

One thing I don't like about his back ground is this...

Weeden threw 197 yds and a TD.. McGahee ran for a TD ...Against his Defense...

I remember walking out of the Stadium with Columbus... saying " thank God the Bills Defense sucked"...

That's only one game.... But one I remember well....

Seriously? 197 yards, 1 td, and McGahee ran for a TD = sucks?

McGahee had 2.5 yards per carry that game, Weeden was an amazing 13/24 and was sacked 5 times.

The Bills defense surely "sucked" that game. Us winning had nothing to do with Travis Benjamin setting a franchise record for punt return yardage with 180 (almost as much as Weeden threw for), including a td. It also didn't have anything to do with the fact that we injured their starting QB and got a pick 6 off their back up.

14 of our 37 points were strictly scored on defense/special teams. The rest was set up by amazing field position, a bomb to Gordon, a bomb to Little, and the fact that the Bills offense couldn't move the ball at all.

Yup, lets look at some facts:

2ND QUARTER
FG B.Cundiff 30 yd. Field Goal Drive: 7 plays, 19 yards in 2:12
TD W.McGahee 1 yd. run (B.Cundiff kick is good) Drive: 14 plays, 74 yards in 7:10
TD T.Benjamin 79 yd. punt return (B.Cundiff kick is good)

3RD QUARTER
TD J.Gordon 37 yd. pass from B.Weeden (B.Cundiff kick is good) Drive: 2 plays, 74 yards in 0:57

4TH QUARTER
FG B.Cundiff 24 yd. Field Goal Drive: 10 plays, 26 yards in 4:32
FG B.Cundiff 44 yd. Field Goal Drive: 8 plays, 31 yards in 4:41
TD T.Ward 44 yd. interception return (B.Cundiff kick is good)

web page

So looks to me like we had 1 long, sustained scoring drive, 2 non-offensive td's, a 2 play drive w/ 2 30+ yead plays, and 3 fg drives that averaged 25 yds apiece. All on 290 total net offensive yards.

We hardly walked up and down the field on them.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Flap #843443 01/22/14 02:35 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

Wow at all these articles and statements being said about this team/organization. I wish I could confidently say those people are smoking crack - but reality of it they may not be far from the truth. Even may be dead on.

Fuijita's "they're a rudderless ship" comment about wraps up this organization. It's to the point where I ask "what negative thing can happen/be said next... that I likely will agree with".

Banner/Haslam need to put on their thinking caps cause the Browns ship is sinking, sinking... sinking.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

j/c…

Browns Coaching Search

FWIW
I don't think I ever read that guy before, but I looked at his Twitter feed, and he made a comment about John Tortorella getting suspended for exhibiting leadership. If this columnist thinks was Tortorella did falls under leadership, then I'm not sure I can take any of his writing seriously.

This guy gets PAID for doing this!!!

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

Browns could make a decision on Pettine by the end of the day.

Pettine To Hear From Browns

Legend
Legend
Good. I want the right coach.. I also want this spectacle to end.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With two ax swings and a either a great GM hire or promoting Farmer and the hire of a solid, experienced football ops guy Haslam can whip this around by the weekend.

And he'd better because like it or not there's a black spot on us that only that kind of move will clear up!

Legend
Legend
That would help remove this bad view of us. But, winning also would help.

I'd love to be able to look back on this next year and say "boy, everyone was wrong, we went about this perfectly!"

Needless to say, I doubt that happens.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

j/c…

Browns Coaching Search

He knows he needs to turn things around. I just hope he isn't swayed by the media or the fans.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

He knows he needs to turn things around. I just hope he isn't swayed by the media or the fans.

100% agree

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c…

Browns Coaching Search

I agree. I hope he listens to us on that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well, it will be a new spectacle after the announcement of a HC.

"Why did he take that awful job?"
"They waited this long to get him?"
"Who is this guy?"
"They missed on McDaniels, Gase, Cowher, Bowles, Shannahan, Belicheck, Landry and any other dream candidate that we think they wanted as their #1 choice."
"They picked who as an OC and DC? How awful!"
"Haslam is lost, Banner is a bum and Lombardi is an idiot."
"How do they think they'll retain Mack and Ward?"

When you're a good team and you fire a coach in a surprising way, you must know something we don't and you've got it covered. When you're us, we're a rudderless ship in thick fog in the middle of the perfect storm near rocky cliffs. It won't end until we have more wins than losses.

Heck, even some of the guys on here blasting the FO for secretly conspiring to hire the awful McDaniels will flip a Pettine hiring into how we missed on McDaniels and that makes us look bad. No matter what we do, we're morons.

IMO, we still have a team and it can only get better.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And he'd better because like it or not there's a black spot on us that only that kind of move will clear up!

I disagree... Well, I agree that we have a big black cloud of laughter hanging over us now.. but he could hire Daffy Duck to be the HC, then trade all of our draft picks to move up to #1 to take Logan Thomas and if we start the season 4-1 next year he will be praised as a misunderstood genius... Hiring "the right people" will get you short term praise, the only thing that really fixes anything is winning.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I like Twitts...

you mispelled that again.

Bwoobs?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

The only thing I heard was that he wasn't real familiar with Offense...

Great another Shurmer

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Why in the world was the topic changed, I thought we hired him...

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Quote:

Heck, even some of the guys on here blasting the FO for secretly conspiring to hire the awful McDaniels will flip a Pettine hiring into how we missed on McDaniels and that makes us look bad. No matter what we do, we're morons.

I'm the conspiracy theorist.

I will never, complain about "missing" on McDaniels.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

it can only get better.

The most frequently uttered phrase, right before it gets worse

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC Search, Part 4

Link Copied to Clipboard