Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I know you said that, I quoted you. Nice counter-argument to your comment explaining why you feel that way.

True...my bad...I was more being sarcastic with the first post than anything...I don't use purple font.. just post... I was also poking fun at the Bills fans as we were out numbered by them...

We just won with Weeden your D sucks....They tend to be annoying...

But again it was in reference to the game between us ... not the Bills season.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c…

The national piling on continues. Haslam needs to turn this thing around in a bad, bad way. Quickly.

Browns Coaching Search

He knows he needs to turn things around. I just hope he isn't swayed by the media or the fans.

As much as I've beaten on the FO and Owner in the last few weeks, I agree with you. Don't listen to us, don't listen to the media, Find a Guy you love and marry him. We and the Media will get over our anger if it works and the Browns start to win.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good. I want the right coach.. I also want this spectacle to end.

Heck, even some of the guys on here blasting the FO for secretly conspiring to hire the awful McDaniels will flip a Pettine hiring into how we missed on McDaniels and that makes us look bad. No matter what we do, we're morons.

I'm the conspiracy theorist.

I will never, complain about "missing" on McDaniels.

I was convinced JM was the man regardless of what he or anyone else said...\I will gladly eat crow if they hire someone else... anyone else

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Everybody

Please set me straight.

We must hire a coach today because sports journalists, and a former saint whose claim to fame is as a union activist and a pay per play hit man, are presuring us to?

Is that it?

That is what I'm hearing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We and the Media will get over our anger if it works and the Browns start to win.

I would just love to hear the Media talk if we have a winning season... I don't think you will see many crows flying...due to the fact they have all been ate...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
for some reason people are concerned from some blog,, from a nobody who regurgitated old quotes and reports....I am sure Haslam is using this to speed up the process

Who gives a rats ass about blogs the media or some quote from another team... these comments should come from us.. the ones who live / die and breath browns football not some interloper...

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

j/c…

The national piling on continues. Haslam needs to turn this thing around in a bad, bad way. Quickly.

Browns Coaching Search

He knows he needs to turn things around. I just hope he isn't swayed by the media or the fans.

I agree. I hope he listens to us on that.

the comments on that page make me wonder why I'm a Browns fan but I know that I won't stop being a Browns fan and watching all the games.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Let’s list out the process thus far. Please help me out if I missed anyone. I am trying to keep the list to people we have actually interviewed thus far but the 3 bigger rumors I put on there too.

never really in the running
Stoops – seemingly used us as leverage to get raise. Not much smoke around quick up&down rumor.
Tressel – some smoke that he wanted an interview, but Browns never offered.
SF – Roman, Tomsula, Seely have popped up in rumors over the last month, but you’d think they would be mentioned this week if we were going to interview them.

Wanted out of the Running
McDaniels – interviewed, withdrew
Gase – requested interview, declined
Bowles – interviewed, withdrew
Malzahn – requested interview, never heard anything
McAdoo – interviewed, took job as Giants OC
Whisenhunt – interviewed, took job as Titans HC

Apparently, still in the running but not discussed much
Rich Bisaccia – we apparently interviewed him, then he disappeared from rumors.

Still in running and discussed
Munchak - interviewed
Koetter? – may be interviewed?
Quinn – interviewed once, waiting on 2nd interview
Pettine – interviewed 2X, likely the favorite currently

Last edited by no_logo_required; 01/22/14 04:42 PM.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I Would like to see Seely interviewed... just as an in case failure to sign one of the others...

Just hope by interviewing Pettine twice and not signing him... that he doesn't get a bad feeling and change his mind.. if that's what they want...

I do feel they want that second interview with Quinn... And that may be wise of them to do that.. If there's any doubt...

Be damn sure you get it right this time.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

it can only get better.

The most frequently uttered phrase, right before it gets worse

I thought the most frequently uttered phrase right before things got worse was.. "Hold my beer and watch this."

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If I were Pettine i'd want something in my contract making me almost impossible to fire after one year....

He's still a young guy - nothing kills your chance at getting a future quality HC gig than being fired after one year.

Imo, the new HC is gonna have the Stooges by the short hairs.

What are they gonna do, fire him after he goes 4-12? Come "heck" or high water, I'd think whoever it is will be good to go for at least 3 years.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

it can only get better.

I thought the most frequently uttered phrase right before things got worse was.. "Hold my beer and watch this."

well, in that case, wouldn't it be "Do it! Go on now, do it!"

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Call me naive, but I've been sensing the media is trying their hardest to make things look SO MUCH WORSE over the last week or so. Don't get me wrong, things are BAD. But c'mon. The media is trying to portray Cleveland as some ticking time-bomb. Is this the worst we've all really felt about our sports?

What's the difference between now and after the SuperBowl at this point? Of ALL the guys we're interested in, are we really looking at possibly losing them to postitional jobs on other teams when they could have our head-coaching job?

Well, there's only four stories in the NFL right now:

1. Richard Sherman
2. The Super Bowl weather forecast and decision to play it in NJ
3. The Browns don't have a HC yet
4. Should the NFL change the PAT?

As bad as we're getting it, the #1 and #2 topics are really getting hammered. We'll hire a coach and mosey our way down to being the 3rd least important story in the offseason.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O

A good over under would be who lasts longer?

The new coach?

Banner, Lombardi?

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

A good over under would be who lasts longer?

The new coach?

Banner, Lombardi?

If this coach doesn't work out, they're all probably gone.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

"The Cleveland Browns organization is not getting much respect here at the Senior Bowl. The attitude towards the Browns, specifically the front office, from personnel people around the league has ranged from disparaging to downright nasty. Several comments were passed at the South’s afternoon practice that few are surprised the Cleveland franchise cannot find a head coach considering “those in charge”. In fact choice adjectives were used by front office people here in Mobile to describe “those in charge” in Cleveland."

To be fair. that was probably a Colts person that is still pissed about the Richardson trade.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Journalists? Nah they are just Bozos pure n simple.

Fujita...nowhere do I see him pressuring he stated that the PLAYERS from personal contact with more than one are perplexed and in a questioning state since the firing. For the simple reason they were told by FO and Coaches that this was a long term thing and we were heading into continuity. They believed in their coaches and it was upsetting that a HC and entire staff that was brought here by a Regime who stated point blank...this was their direction to Continuity and stability...you know - they actually think they were LIED TO by the FO so there is a bit of distrust.

And like any cancer and this cancer was brought about by none other than the owner and FO. Point blank it was a dumb move.

We have to live with it and move on cause we are diehard fans...but my fear is what damage has this done with the solid foundation of players we had here. Point blank right off the bat we might lose two young Pro-Bowlers. And without a NEW direction the players are just sitting around and the cancer is only getting bigger.

So I get it they feel they might of rushed into it last year...they will make whatever excuse outside of the fact that THEY PICKED CHUD...they endorsed Chud as the Coach for Long Term and then fired him after one season.

So its time to right the ship. Get these players together...how many of our 6 our telling other Pro Bowlers man we got a great thing going on in Cleveland...HOW MANY! You really think Fujita was lying on the general feeling about the players. I will always latch on to the new direction that will come hopefully sooner than later. But fact is fact...this was an act of INCOMPETENCE...by the owner and the Banner/Lombardi combo. You all can quote me the 4-12 record and tell me if I was satisfied all you want. Deep down you know you are grasping for straws. Deep down you know we had some pretty good schemes on O and on D that anyone in the NFL who tries to win with Back up QB will lose. Anyone who has the vast majority of our depth being untried and proven UDFA rookies or waived late draft picks. Come on. Wake up guys and smell the coffee. Are we DEAD in the water...no DEAD is word of FINALITY...we have a breath of life but they got to get their act together.

One guy pulling out ok they got the drift its not them who are the primary candidate. But 3 guys?

A college coach who clearly stated he signed with the Eagles because of their HISTORY OF STABILITY when we all know we were hot on him....so let me see the firing of Chud made us look more STABLE to the candidates.

I like the Pettine guy and heard great things about our meeting. But if we are sure...we are sure. If that is our Guy and he is a Super Star then HIRE HIM!!! what is this futzing around well lets interview Quinn...unless its Quinn....all along as our primary guy - it could be cause we did interviiew with him already and he hasn't pulled out. At least we all will make sense of it.

What I do know and have been saying it for more than a week and actually throughout the process JOB #1 will be to galvanize the players believing in this staff. And the Owner should call a meeting and tell the players - sorry to mess with your heads but this is OUR GUY for a long time! Get on the record although I think they said it last season as in Chud was not their first choice and maybe not their 2nd choice but he is their guy for long term...that was the lead in to the article and then there were quotes about the long term commitment with Chud and the Staff we put together here.

You know the staff who got hired so so quick...without us even firing them. Oh except Tabor

Well thank you for the rant...yes, I do feel better

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Koetter? – may be interviewed?

Quote:

Multiple reports say the Browns have spoken to Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter about their coaching vacancy, but Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com called Koetter a "longshot candidate."

Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweeted that the Browns talked to Koetter on Wednesday, but that it wasn't a formal interview.

"They may circle back to him," Rapoport tweeted.

McClure, who covers the Atlanta Falcons for ESPN.com, had the first tweet of the day regarding Koetter. Koetter's name emerged Tuesday in a report by Alex Marvez of Fox Sports.

Koetter, 54, has served as the Falcons’ offensive coordinator the past two seasons. He was the offensive coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2007-11.

Koetter also has 22 years of collegiate coaching experience. He was the head coach at Arizona State University (2001-06) and Boise State University (1998-2000). Koetter interviewed for a chance to reclaim Boise State’s head-coaching job last month, but the school hired Bryan Harsin.

Link

N
Legend
Legend
N
thank you.

koetter was on the bottom of the list of guys to me. glad that we didn't have serious talks with him.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Same here. He was really bad at Arizona State.

bugs #843479 01/22/14 06:05 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Knight of Brown, and you are not the only one stating, why does having good stats make a good coach?

First, Buffalo is in need of talent. After all they have drafted top 10 the last few years. Second, Bills went through a coaching change. It'll most likely take a couple of years. Third, defense was handicapped having a offense run by a rookie QB. Lastly, Pettine did do well in New York, and he done well every level he coached. Dig a little deeper see how Pettine did with the talent level given. Buffalo was competitive.

I am not saying he will make a great HC. I'm simply saying those stats don't prove he'll be a a bad or good coach. It is like saying a baseball with a high batting average and most home runs makes a great team manager.

Buffalo's defense has plenty of talent:
Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, Mario Williams, Kiko Alonso, Leodis McKelvin, Jarius Byrd, Stephon Gilmore. 11 Pro Bowl appearances from this group.

I'm not saying the production (or lack thereof) is to be blamed on Pettine...I don't follow them enough to have a legit opinion. But the talent is definitely is there IMO.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I wonder if this has been posted?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/mike_pettine_tells_clevelandco.html#incart_m-rpt-2

The headline reads: Mike Pettine tells cleveland.com he expects "some feedback'' from the Browns by tonight

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I wonder if this has been posted?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/mike_pettine_tells_clevelandco.html#incart_m-rpt-2

The headline reads: Mike Pettine tells cleveland.com he expects "some feedback'' from the Browns by tonight

Saw this tweeted. I was wondering if he is pushing them to make a decision or if they told him they would have one? Either way that doesn't bode well for him since we want to talk to Quinn again.

BpG #843482 01/22/14 06:17 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Then there's this from the Bills site:

Quote:

Schefter calls Pettine Browns fall back option
January 22, 2014 04:54 PM | Chris Brown
ESPN NFL reporter Adam Schefter made an appearance on the Michael Kay Show in New York on ESPN radio and he was asked about where things stood with the Cleveland Browns head coaching job and whether Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine would be named to the post. He categorized Pettine as a “fall back” option. Here were his full comments on the Browns job and Pettine.

"I'll say this on the Cleveland Browns. Expect the unexpected,” said Schefter late Wednesday afternoon. “The Mike Pettine situation is going on, they've interviewed him twice. If they wanted to hire him they could just go ahead and do that and maybe they still will.

“But me reading between the lines, they're hopping around, they're interviewing other candidates, they're bouncing around the country. I think if Pettine were their guy it would just be over and done with. And the longer it goes on the less likely in my mind that Pettine becomes the guy.

“I think he's in play clearly. I think I would categorize him now as a fall back option. I think they're looking at other things. They're interviewing other candidates. They spoke to Dirk Koetter this morning. They're continuing to reach out to people.

“But the one thing I will say is expect the unexpected. If you think it's going to be Mike Pettine. If you think it's going to be Dirk Koetter, get ready for that curve ball."

web page

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Flap #843483 01/22/14 06:22 PM
Legend
Legend
Schefty probably summed it up the best, without slamming the organization.

Of course, he can't really afford to start slamming organizations because he makes his living off of breaking news after talking to them. Unless he's cool with burning that bridge forever, he's got to play it a little safe.

But sure, I can kinda see what he said as being spot on. Pettine may or may not be the fall back option and if they REALLY like him they would have pulled the trigger on him already. But he even said himself, this is just him reading between the lines. And that's makes some of the statements on here even funnier.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Flap #843484 01/22/14 06:23 PM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Remember when we "already named Josh McDaniels" the guy? With Jim Scwartz as the DC?

Everyone speculating we had some wink nod deal already done?

The media, especially the Cleveland media are vultures this time of year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

This entire thing is a joke and people wish to blame the media. Sure they're pointing out the obvious, but don't shoot the messenger.

Yes the entire world hates the Browns SO MUCH, that with the SB coming next week, the media has nothing else to write about.

Why is everyone becoming so intent on covering for the bumbling idiots running the show?

We're down to interviewing people most everyone NEVER would have considered until it's come to the point we have no choice.

But it is a comedic break in my day......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I think the real joke here is that we've interviewed about half our candidates in the past week to two weeks. Truthfully I think we're looking at the 3rd to 4th fall back option at this point.

Flap #843487 01/22/14 06:51 PM
U
All Pro
All Pro
U
Quote:

Then there's this from the Bills site:

Quote:

Schefter calls Pettine Browns fall back option
January 22, 2014 04:54 PM | Chris Brown
ESPN NFL reporter Adam Schefter made an appearance on the Michael Kay Show in New York on ESPN radio and he was asked about where things stood with the Cleveland Browns head coaching job and whether Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine would be named to the post. He categorized Pettine as a “fall back” option. Here were his full comments on the Browns job and Pettine.

"I'll say this on the Cleveland Browns. Expect the unexpected,” said Schefter late Wednesday afternoon. “The Mike Pettine situation is going on, they've interviewed him twice. If they wanted to hire him they could just go ahead and do that and maybe they still will.

“But me reading between the lines, they're hopping around, they're interviewing other candidates, they're bouncing around the country. I think if Pettine were their guy it would just be over and done with. And the longer it goes on the less likely in my mind that Pettine becomes the guy.

“I think he's in play clearly. I think I would categorize him now as a fall back option. I think they're looking at other things. They're interviewing other candidates. They spoke to Dirk Koetter this morning. They're continuing to reach out to people.

“But the one thing I will say is expect the unexpected. If you think it's going to be Mike Pettine. If you think it's going to be Dirk Koetter, get ready for that curve ball."

web page

Along the lines of "expect the unexpected," I have a thought.

It is admittedly crazy and farfetched, but I suppose it is a (small) possibility, especially in light of Schefter's comments.

Maybe instead of waiting for February 2nd and the Super Bowl to pass, the Browns are actually waiting for February 5 and National Signing Day to pass?

Perhaps there is a college coach out there who wants to interview for, or even take, the job, but doesn't want to have rumors of his leaving spread, or actually leave, prior to National Signing Day and leave his school and new coach in a tough spot of scrambling to maintain the recruiting class?

Again, I do not think this is the case and admit it is a crazy thought, but as this weird dance the Browns are engaged in drags on, it does make me wonder if they don't have something up their sleeve, or something in particular they are waiting for besides, at this point, Dan Quinn.

BpG #843488 01/22/14 06:56 PM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

The media, especially the Cleveland media are vultures this time of year.

When you fire your coach less than a year on the job, what did you expect? Media in every other market is probably sinking their teeth into draft rumors, player troubles, signings and whatnot. The Cleveland media is used to wondering who the new coach will be. When that is your feasting site nearly every year, it is no wonder that the vultures circle the dead animal...

#gmstrong.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Was there this much consternation when we were waiting to hire Crennel? Or did people just not care because everyone he was going to be hired?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Maybe instead of waiting for February 2nd and the Super Bowl to pass, the Browns are actually waiting for February 5 and National Signing Day to pass?

Perhaps there is a college coach out there who wants to interview for, or even take, the job, but doesn't want to have rumors of his leaving spread, or actually leave, prior to National Signing Day and leave his school and new coach in a tough spot of scrambling to maintain the recruiting class?

Malzahn would be my absolute favorite hire, he coaches for a school that fired it's last 2 coaches despite recent undefeated seasons, and if Malzahn bolted, Auburn's recruiting class would be left in shambles very quickly (with all the SEC teams and others moving in).

Like you, I doubt it, but it'd be an awfully sneaky hire. Also, there were lots of reports that we requested an interview, but none that he rejected nor that we had actually interviewed him.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Was there this much consternation when we were waiting to hire Crennel? Or did people just not care because everyone he was going to be hired?

I believe it was the latter.

Everyone knew it was Crennel to Cleveland.
Charlie Weis to Notre Dame.

Even when the Superbowl ended that year, there was a shot of the two mentioned above hugging Belichek and the announcers made it a point to say it would be the last time they'd work together. Everyone knew.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Why would other NFL front office people be so hateful towards the Brown's FO?

Seriously.............why?

How much interaction have we had w/these other teams? Why would they be nasty?

Is it because we fleeced Indy on the Richardson trade?

Is it because we took advantage to two teams in the draft last year and have better picks this upcoming year?

Why else would they hate us?

I see no logical reason, but others will rush to post it.........and even post it in bold faced font so people can see it better. LOL.............Hey guys, look at this. This guy is actually freaking happy to report that his/our team is catching flak?

I read the other article, too. Pure speculation. No use of facts. Just pile on to draw readers from Cleveland.

I always want the Browns to win, but it will be so much sweeter if we win w/this group after so many [media members and some so-called fans] have fabricated stories, exaggerated, and piled on w/out very much ammunition.

It will be so nice to see them finally shut the heck up!!!

Man.............a Brown's fan gleefully posting negative articles about our team just so he can say........."I told you so......."

C
Legend
Legend
C
I thought he posted an article because it was about our team and we discuss our team here.

Like it or not we look like bumbling idiots at this point. Joe Banner and friends just happen to be the ones in charge.

N
Legend
Legend
N
I think it is simpler than that. McManamon demonstrates it rather clearly though he doesn't draw the same conclusion from it that I would

Quote:

It seems they are treating the coaching search like they would the hire of a CEO. Which means cast about, use a search firm, talk to lots of folks and pick the best one. Most of those work because business executives are moving up the ladder.

In the NFL, the traditional way is to have an idea ahead of time and do key legwork before the interview. Form a pecking order, have back-channel discussions to find where they stand and have an idea what it will take to hire their guy. It’s the business. And it works, because the coach has an idea of where he wants to work, and with whom. The team then acts quickly before the coach goes elsewhere.

It seems to be a 'HOW DARE THEY DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY!' consternation.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

it can only get better.

I agree with that. I have long held that things can always get worse.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I Would like to see Seely interviewed... just as an in case failure to sign one of the others...

Just hope by interviewing Pettine twice and not signing him... that he doesn't get a bad feeling and change his mind.. if that's what they want...

I do feel they want that second interview with Quinn... And that may be wise of them to do that.. If there's any doubt...

Be damn sure you get it right this time.

I have a ton of respect for Seeley, and would love to see us interview him. He has been an assistant head coach for both us and the Niners. Frankly, I am surprised that he hasn't received more attention as a head coach candidate. I do think that the emphasis on offensive candidates has really hurt him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I've been wondering about Malzahn too. Didn't lean one way or the other, but was wondering why one minute it was written we were interested all the time & all of a sudden it all stopped. No talk of interviews, requests, him turning us down, etc. Just nothing...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the league has hated us since Arts move. We put up a fight and it wasn't appreciated by the league.

Bashing Cleveland has sold for many, many years.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC Search, Part 4

Link Copied to Clipboard