Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was referring to the article that stated that our FO personnel hated our team and were saying "nasty" things about our FO.

My question is why wold they do that?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c…

The national piling on continues. Haslam needs to turn this thing around in a bad, bad way. Quickly.

Browns Coaching Search

It is really hard to argue with anything he said.

I mean, it's possible that Pettine may wind being a great head coach, but no one, with a straight face, can say that he was initially anyone's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th choice. Frankly, the choice of Pettine, if, in fact, he is the choice, looks a lot like the choice of Chudzinski. He is a guy who no one, at all, talked about when the process began. As far as I know, he was not interviewed by anyone other than the Browns.

All I know is that, if we hire him, he better turn into Marty Schottenheimer. (or better) If he is just another guy, there will be a lot of heads rolling in Berea.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1st String
1st String
ehhhhhhh....

No matter what,some people will love the HC pick, some will be indifferent, some will have the 'wait and see' philosophy, and some will absolutely hate it.

I honestly don't know anything at all about the newest gang of rumored candidates and am losing interest in the entire search process.

I rely on a lot of the legends on here who have proven to be level-headed, even tempered, and very knowledgeable about the NFL throughout. Thank you for keeping me informed and helping sort out some truth from the media b.s.

I'll always be a Browns fan. I get to one game a year. I have no interest in all the travel time to attend all of the home games and I'm not ashamed to admit that my finances have greater use in every day living and my disposable income doesn't afford me the means to own season tickets. I never miss a broadcast and I have more than my fair share of Browns gear.

I hope and pray that the right decision is made and I hope I live long enough to see us hoist at least one Lombardi Trophy.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

If I were Pettine i'd want something in my contract making me almost impossible to fire after one year....

He's still a young guy - nothing kills your chance at getting a future quality HC gig than being fired after one year.

Imo, the new HC is gonna have the Stooges by the short hairs.

What are they gonna do, fire him after he goes 4-12? Come "heck" or high water, I'd think whoever it is will be good to go for at least 3 years.

I said more or less the same thing a page or two back. The coach isn't going to have to worry unless he does something totally stupid. I mean totally stupid.

Plus, this hire is Haslams. I think he was talked in to Chud. This go, it is him. This is his thumbprint. He sticks with this guy for 3 years....unless, as I said before....

Here is what I think. I think Lombardi is almost out anyway. They keep the guy locked away. Farmer is a pretty good talent. We haven't lost him yet. I wouldn't doubt if a owner or two have called Jimmy a time or two over the last few days to offer some support and some candid advice....Keep Farmer and put Lombardi in to a different role.

I think Lombardi has value, but we sure haven't used him as a GM in a traditional sense....make him advisor to the President or something.....make Farmer GM.

Banner has value as well. As team President....no problem, but he doesn't need to be team spokesman front and center. His facial expressions look like I do when I receive my yearly prostate exam. The man is a great numbers guy, manager, and maybe even OK in evaluating players, as a 3rd opinion.

I'd rather have Haslam doing all the selections over these guys ( Farmer not included). He has fire, and looks fit enough to hold his own with-in bounds....Lombardi....that guy has never been punched in the face....too meek. Banner probably has, so I give him credit....he is a talker, and looks like the kind of guy you would like to punch. Maybe that facial expression of his is the one when you know you are taking one to the mouth.

Anyway, I don't think we need to remove people from the FO.....just reassign the positions or duties.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I have a ton of respect for Seeley, and would love to see us interview him. He has been an assistant head coach for both us and the Niners. Frankly, I am surprised that he hasn't received more attention as a head coach candidate. I do think that the emphasis on offensive candidates has really hurt him.

I just wonder if hiring him would resemble the Chud hire to much for the FO to be comfortable with.

Maybe whats hurting him is it would look too much like Chud coming back to be HC. just a thought.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I have a ton of respect for Seeley, and would love to see us interview him. He has been an assistant head coach for both us and the Niners. Frankly, I am surprised that he hasn't received more attention as a head coach candidate. I do think that the emphasis on offensive candidates has really hurt him.

I just wonder if hiring him would resemble the Chud hire to much for the FO to be comfortable with.

Maybe whats hurting him is it would look too much like Chud coming back to be HC. just a thought.

No doubt, but I don't even mean just us.

These other teams have openings, and his name is never mentioned. From what I have heard, he is highly respected by everyone he has worked for. Harbaugh supposedly loves the guy to death.

I dunno. Maybe the stigma of being a teams guy is part of it .... but Baltimore hired a teams guy, and he did OK for them.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

I am getting old myself, but isn't Seeley a bit long in the tooth?

Give me someone somewhere between 40 and 60. Then I don't have to consider age.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Brad Seely is between 40 and 60.

Legend
Legend
I really don't know if that's all that far fetched. I mean, when to theories, it's as good as any.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Seely is 57, IIRC.

I just thought that I would add this in here .......

How did Terry Francona react to Chud's firing?

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf..._special-report

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- I needed a break from all the angst and gnashing of teeth over the Browns' search for a head coach.

So I went to Terry Francona's press conference. There actually wasn't anything especially newsworthy about it. The Tribe manager was simply available to talk a little baseball.

OK, Francona did mention the Browns: "I was pissed that Coach Chud (Rob Chudzinski) got let go. I liked him."

The rest is baseball ....... but I thought I'd mention it here.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Mary Kay is reporting that Pettine will interview for the third time, Thursday. He is apparently flying to Cleveland for this one.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Mary Kay is reporting that Pettine will interview for the third time, Thursday. He is apparently flying to Cleveland for this one.

Bring your agent/lawyer/accountant with you and let's get this deal done. Schedule the announcement for 2pm Thursday, or Friday, as the case may be...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 01/22/14 09:28 PM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
LOL 3rd time? Really?

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
If its Pettine, it brings in something that I think has been missing.

Cleveland is a hardworking, blue color, teamster kind of town.

I think Pettine gives off that vibe.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I like what I have read about him. He seems like a tough no non since kind of coach. Best hire possible after the fiasco. I really hope it works out.

I was really hoping for a Francona kinda hire. I think the flashy big name would have more than salvaged the disaster that this off season has been.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Apparently Pettine is scheduled for a 3rd interview on Thursday per Albert Breer.
Pettine 3rd Interview

Ian Rapoport reporting Browns spent day in Florida with unknown candidate.
Browns meet candidate in FL

Being reported the by Alex Marvez the "secret" candidate in FL was Greg Schiano.
Browns Interview Schiano

Albert Breer says Haslam has talked with Belichik about Schiano
Haslam talks with Belichik

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wow..Schiano and Pettine tomorrow..can't think why Schiano is interesting to them...

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Schiano?

You've got to be kidding me.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc

I am somewhat confused....and perhaps it's a matter of semantics.

I read that if... IF we hire Pettine then he is our 2nd, 3rd, 10th choiuce or whatever. What is the basis for that train of thought? The logic seems skewed.

In my hiring experience.. you want to find the best person for a position.. to do that you interview either 1) all applicants you can ans chose from that pool or 2) You hit on that one candidate that you are sure is a not miss and try to land him.

The first choice would be that one person for first offered the position to, so are we saying that we offered this job to 2 or 3 other people and they all turned us down? I claim BS on that.

Most of us have been on interviews and unless you are desperate for employment while they are checking you out, you should be doing the same. I have walked from interviews before and afterward really didn't want the job, That doesn't necessarily make that company bad, only a bad fit, for whatever reason, no harm done.

So we have spoken to some who 1) chose to stay put, 2) chose other positions, none of that makes them our first choice, (maybe they got the vibe that is wasn't a fit, maybe the FO told them so), it only makes them the first interview, not the first choice, or are we assuming the first person we talked to automatically is the first person we wanted. Again I call BS.

If we had hired the first person we interviewed .. oh boy what an uproar. I would hope they would take to many, many candidates and decided form those who the first choice should be. But no, like sheep we are led by the nose by media reports and now twitter and blogs... LOL, if a person says no.. well hell he was our first choice, and a person says no he going to stay put, well by God he was our 2nd ... blah blah... let the bozos lead on a path.. give a rats ass about what others say... pfft.

Bottom line... they do not know as much a s they want us to think they do..imo

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
PDR #843518 01/22/14 10:01 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
My thoughts exactly on Schiano. That's a worse case scenario I didn't think was possible. I'm hoping Quinn as my #1 and then Pettine.

PDR #843519 01/22/14 10:02 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m
Source: The #Browns interviewed Greg Schiano today. … 2nd source: He will not be hired by the #Browns.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m
Bill Belichick talked with Browns owner Jimmy Haslam recently to vouch for Greg Schiano. In the end, it wasn’t to be.

I can't make the link work...

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 01/22/14 10:14 PM.
PDR #843520 01/22/14 10:03 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Schiano?

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/426167921904066560

"2 things I've heard ... 1) Schiano has called people around the league asking about Banner ... 2) Belichick talked to Haslam about Schiano."

Someone compared Beli and Schiano's relationship to the Royals and Yankees in the 70's. I guess being a farm team to the Patriots isn't the worst thing that could happen

Legend
Legend
I'm no expert on Schiano, but the very little I do know, I want nothing to do with the guy as our HC. Maybe he'd be a good coordinator? I have no idea. Hell, I don't know if he's an offense guy or a defense guy.

But I know what I heard from people who follow Rutgers and I know what I read about him in TB. I want nothing to do with the guy.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Pettine - 3rd interview? That surely is a lock....sign him.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It appears the potential Schiano is reportedly over. That was quick.
Schian not in the plans

Again Schiano will not be hired. Thankfully! Mary Kay also reporting the same.
Schiano out as candidate

V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow...............this board will have a complete melt down if we hire Schiano. It would be kinda funny to watch......well.........at least for a day or so. I don't have much of a problem w/the guy.

One thing is sticking out to me..................guys like Pettine, Quinn, Schiano, Munchak are all tough guys. I like that. Give me a Marty or a Cowher over a Shurmur type of guy any day of the week.

You know what would be even cooler than hiring Shiano? We should bring back Mangini. Can you imagine the reaction of guys like DJ and PDR? Hilarious.

Legend
Legend
It certainly seems we're going that "hard nosed" route. I love it.

I especially love that Schiano is not in the picture.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

It appears the potential Schiano is reportedly over. That was quick.
Schian not in the plans

Again Schiano will not be hired. Thankfully! Mary Kay also reporting the same.
Schiano out as candidate

Good news to me!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c..

Munchak hired by Steelers to be their O-line coach. Hate to say it, but great hire by the Steelers.
Munchak to the Steelers

V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, it's been ugly around here............imagine if we hired him? LOL.........

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Schiano just seems like that guy with a white collar office job who commutes to work in a big ol' diesel Super Duty and talks about "hauling" and "towing" all the time when he only puts his lunch pail in the bed...

I'd officially be embarrassed if he were hired him as our head coach just to overreact on getting Chud's polar opposite. Coordinator potential? I don't even know.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend
Maybe it would be easier for us to make a list of people we're not interviewing. Seems like we're looking everywhere. Maybe Banner & Lombardi just want to ride around in Haslam's plane.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well tomorrow is gonna be interesting..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Damn... and to the squealers to boot...ddamn

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well tomorrow is gonna be interesting..

Especially when we hear we're interviewing Zombie Tom Landry and a guy who used to deliver the mail to Vince Lombardi's house.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Dollars to doughnuts, we have our new HC tomorrow...

PDR #843535 01/22/14 10:28 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Schiano?

Sit down.

I agree with you 100%. I cannot imagine why Schiano would be of interest to any NFL team.

He is my nightmare candidate.

If the Browns want to lose me as a fan ..... something I never thought possible ....... hire Schiano and draft Clowney at 4.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Quote:

Schiano just seems like that guy with a white collar office job who commutes to work in a big ol' diesel Super Duty and talks about "hauling" and "towing" all the time when he only puts his lunch pail in the bed...

I'm sorry but this had me rolling, at least we can find humor in some of this

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
The guy was a flat out embarrassment in Tampa.

Hiring him would eliminate any hope I have for this regime.

We may as well rehire Mangini.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c..

Munchak hired by Steelers to be their O-line coach. Hate to say it, but great hire by the Steelers.
Munchak to the Steelers

That is a tremendous hire by the Steelers.

Munchak may not be much of a head coach, but he is a great OL coach.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC Search, Part 4

Link Copied to Clipboard