Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
back to the 16-0 predictions?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't know...actually I hate making predictions - why I say 16-0...lol

But it hasn't worked yet...I might do 0-16 for once

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Ya know Anarchy, I think Pettine will be a good HC (I hope so anyway) If you look at what he accomplished in Buffalo without the level of talent they had in Seattle, I'd say it's pretty much on par with Quinn..

Love him or hate him, he's our guy now. I'll support him until he proves he doesn't deserve my support any longer.

That's my take on it too, but I don't know if the talent level is comparable. They had something like 19 UDFAs on their roster and a bevy of mid-to-late round picks that fill out their rosters.

That goes to say for most teams too but only one team wins the Super Bowl. And they did have the #1 defense in the league this year. And the #1 defense just killed the #1 offense.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:

Any way you look at it, no matter what this FO does, the fan base will make excuses for it, accept it and somehow twist it into being just fine.

Any way you look at it, some of you guys will bash the FO no matter what they do. At first, it was they took too long and missed out on all the good candidates. Now, it's they didn't wait long enough.

You talk out of both sides of your butt, Pit. You hate the FO and criticize them on every move. Then, you get upset w/people who are willing to give them a chance.

No one is saying they are great. No one is saying we have a great coaching staff. No one is saying they love everything going on. Yet, you keep saying that is the case. You're full of crap, Pit.

I don't care if you hate them. I don't care if you want them to fail just so you can say "I told you so." However, quit telling me--and everyone else---how we should feel about the FO and our new coaching staff.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

However, quit telling me--and everyone else---how we should feel about the FO and our new coaching staff.

Now that's funny stuff right there. Pot meet Kettle.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That's a very creative way to put it. No one ever says "pot meet kettle."

Btw------------I don't care what others think. I state what I think. I have no problem if he hates the FO. But, I will fight him--and you---if you try and tell me what I should feel about the FO..........or for that matter, any other topic.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sorry, I'm just not buying that Quinn would have been a slam dunk for us. Of course he'd say he would be interested.

This guy will get a shot at probably the best opening of 2015 after yesterday.

Legend
Legend
He'll be in Dallas in 15.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

[Quinn will] be in Dallas in 15.

He doesn't seem to be much of a puppet.

Legend
Legend
Looking at what teams I thought would be available. Seemed like the best team to go to.

Unless he can go to Cincy. I'd hate that.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
I imagine the Jets, Dolphins, Raiders, and Giants could be in the market for a head coach next off-season for different reasons.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Btw------------I don't care what others think. I state what I think. I have no problem if he hates the FO. But, I will fight him--and you---if you try and tell me what I should feel about the FO..........or for that matter, any other topic.

You're fighting internet air and do you really believe I care what you think?

You're just like KW2. A 'soldia".

Get over yourself Verse.

You can feel any way you want to feel. I really don't give a damn. In case you missed it, the response wasn't even addressed to you.

The resume's of the previous coaching staff was better than this one, period. And your ridiculous claims that I want people to fail so I can say I told you so? So you're claiming I want the Browns to continue to lose? What kind of a warped mind can even dream such crap up?

Actually, I want this FO to succeed despite itself. Which is exactly what they must do. Until they actually bring the talent in here to win, you can change HC's every year, or every three years and it won't help anything.

This FO ignored the O during the last off season and blamed the HC for it. If you don't like the reality of that, that's simply too bad. I hope they luck out and hit a home run in the draft so we can get out of this mess we're mired in.

Lombardi was hired as the GM and he's sucked at that job his entire career. So yeah, I don't like it. How many years did he suck at it? So if you're all about giving a guy his third chance, you have at it. Oh, that's right, I'm not supposed to tell you that.

Get over yourself Bud. There's nothing here to fight but your own shadow. You're the same guy who was all over the Walrus almost from day 1. So you have no room to talk. I'll say how I feel just like you do. If you think that calls for a battle, bring it! I just see us as having two different points of view. But if you attack like you have here, I'll battle back with you. But that seems pretty stupid that you can't just understand that we have totally different points of view and leave at that like I do with you.

But some people just love to cause trouble. If that's your objective, you came to the right place. I'm not going to eat your BS.

And have a WONDERFUL day!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J / C..

Pettine live now on KNR.. If you want to hear him.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
jc

Browns coach Mike Pettine on: Running the ball, building up Mingo and retaining Chris Tabor as special teams coordinator

By Tony Grossi | ESPNCleveland.com
Feb 07, 2014 -- 6:00am

The Morning Kickoff …

Music to our ears: The stats of the year for the Browns in 2013 were these:

* They were tied or ahead going into the fourth quarter in nine games.

* They led the NFL with 681 pass attempts – a Browns franchise record. They had another 49 pass plays result in sacks. So that’s 730 pass plays despite having to play three quarterbacks because of injury or ineffectual play.

* They were 4-5 in those nine games with fourth quarter leads or ties.

The Browns also had one of the more anemic running games in their history. They didn’t even carry a natural fullback on their roster. If they had run the ball more in the fourth quarter rather than throw it willy-nilly, they may have won a few more games.

Thus it was great to hear new coach Mike Pettine’s comments on Thursday on the type of offense he wants.

“I think it’s critical in northeast Ohio late in the year … your offense has to be all-weather, you have to be able to run the ball,” Pettine said. “It is a passing league, but you have to be able to run the ball to close games out, and if the weather turns, you need to find an alternate way to score points.”

Pettine said new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan appealed to him because of his ability to adapt.

He said: “Kyle’s proven in six years that he can have one of the leading rushing attacks, he can have one of the leading passing attacks. He can have a veteran quarterback, he can have a rookie quarterback. He can have a marquee receiver like Andre Johnson, or he can get it done with some other guys that aren’t Pro Bowl types. All different types of offensive linemen. He’s done it with different running backs. That was appealing to me, that his system over all those changes was able to adapt and be successful.”

Mingo talk: Pettine was defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills a year ago, and his newly named coordinator with the Browns, Jim O’Neil, was Bills linebackers coach. As the draft approached, they lobbied for Barkevious Mingo for the Bills’ first choice, which was No. 8 overall.

“On draft day, my wife actually made Barkevious Mingo cupcakes for the guys who had the power to make the eighth overall pick, but obviously it didn’t happen,” O’Neil said.

The Browns took Mingo sixth overall. With Mingo off the board, the Bills traded their pick to St. Louis for the Rams’ first- and second-round picks.

“I’m a big fan of Mingo,” O’Neil said. “I’m looking forward to working with him. He flashes some on tape. He did a lot of good things. He’s obviously a young player. He’s got some things to work on, but we’re excited as a defensive staff to get him back here and start working with him.”

Mingo wound up 14th on the Browns with 42 tackles and second with five sacks.

With the second-round pick acquired from St. Louis, the Bills found a defensive star in middle linebacker Kiko Alonso of Oregon. Alonso played every defensive snap as a rookie and finished third in the NFL with 159 tackles. He had four interceptions and received votes for defensive rookie of the year honors.

Alonso was the defender who chased down scrambling Brian Hoyer and landed on him when Hoyer’s cleat caught the FirstEnergy Stadium grass awkwardly, resulting in his torn ACL in the Thursday night game against the Bills.

Pettine said he’s “confident” his staff can develop Mingo into a player worthy of the No. 6 overall pick.

“Because I feel if a guy shows he can do it, even if it’s just for that one play, if he flashes that brilliance, then it’s our job to get him more consistent,” he said.

One thing everyone agrees on is that Mingo needs to add weight and strength.

“He is a lean, angular guy,” Pettine said. “I think the NFL is a size and speed league and you’re always looking to get guys (bigger) … if he has the frame capable of carrying more weight, which it’s pretty clear that he does, that’s something that we’re going to push for him to do.”

The great survivor: Chris Tabor was named Pat Shurmur’s special teams coordinator in 2011. In 2013, Tabor was retained by Rob Chudzinski. Now Tabor has been retained again by Pettine.

That’s three head coaches in four years for Tabor.

“I think it says that the good Lord is watching over me, to be honest with you,” Tabor said. “I’m fortunate, myself and my assistant Shawn Mennenga, who does an outstanding job with us. It’s nice to be able to stay at a place and continue to coach the guys, and keep your system implemented and going, and continue to grow with it.”

Despite some negative plays that weighed heavily in key losses – a fumbled punt by Davone Bess in Kansas City, two blocked punts in Cincinnati, a failed pick-up of an onside kick against New England – the Browns declined requests from other teams to interview Tabor.

“(Tabor) is one of the most well-respected special teams coaches in the league,” Pettine said. “It was evidenced by the number of requests that came in for him after the season that he was not permitted to leave, and I was glad that happened. He’s a quality coach. He’s the son of a coach. As you guys will see with the staff makeup, I have a soft spot for coaches’ kids.”

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Big Picture

Describe to me what you think Mike Pettine needs to do, needs to develop, needs to project to the NFL, fans of Cleveland, etc... in order to be really successful? In order to become a star NFL Head Coach.

I'm trying to visualize a scenario where he is really successful and is a annual playoff guy.

The need for a quality quarterback is a no brainer, but what does Pettine himself, have to do? He is in a situation where he can become a star, but there is a very high risk of us and the fans turning him into a bum.

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
D
Legend
Legend
D
He needs to let his coordinators and his chosen staff do their jobs. He needs to instill a level of accountability. I'm sorry but if you're having a Greg-like/Bess-like season, you don't deserve to be playing on gameday and u don't deserve to be babied. You deserve to be riding the bench. You can be a player's coach and still be disciplined. He needs to mold the systems to the strengths of the players, and not try to turn chicken crap into chicken salad cause it just isn't feasible, especially in terms of the qb and the offensive scheme.

He, and any Cleveland coach now, are already in hot water and the pressure surrounding them is high due to the consistent and constant losing seasons and previous failures at coach/etc. What does he need to do to be successful and make a name for himself? Win... honestly, in this business, it's about as cut-throat, bottom lined as that.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

He is in a situation where he can become a star, but there is a very high risk of us and the fans turning him into a bum.

I don't see this at all. A success or lack of it is what makes a coach's reputation. W's and L's. A fan base can not turn a coach into a bum. Only the results he attains can do that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

He is in a situation where he can become a star, but there is a very high risk of us and the fans turning him into a bum.

I don't see this at all. A success or lack of it is what makes a coach's reputation. W's and L's. A fan base can not turn a coach into a bum. Only the results he attains can do that.

Well, yes and no. Fans drive the profit of an organization. If your fans aren't happy, tickets won't sell. Basic common sense. Remember this billboard sign:

Bucs owner was notorious for buying tickets to avoid black outs, as the fanbase basically gave up. This puts heavy pressure on front offices to make decisions. Now, whether it's "fair" or not - very questionable. But fans can influence a coaches opportunity/image.

Legend
Legend
i agree.

that being said, we all knew that bum in TB needed to be fired anyway.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
If your FO has no back bone and caters to everything the fans say and want, then I agree.

Yet to me, the hiring of Lombardi, the firing of Chud and the trading of TRich are perfect examples that this FO does what they think is right despite what the fans think.

I don't agree with many of their choices but I do like that they try to do what they feel is right, not what is popular.

To me this is concrete evidence that the fan base will have no bearing on the decision of keeping or firing the HC.

I do agree there are owners and FO's in which this may have an impact, but not here as the evidence seems to point to.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Pettine interview from yesterday:

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Pettine interview from yesterday...

Very well spoken, and thoughtout responses. It's not only what he says, but how he says it...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for posting that.

I was waiting (and not disappointed) for someone to ask about Byrd. No one can discuss players on other teams yet. Did they expect Coach to walk into a tampering charge?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Interesting, regarding Byrd when asked if he could talk about him, "I can't right now and until the league year ends, he's a buffalo Bill)

True enough, but was it a hint? LOL this is fun..

anyway, Pettine is an engaging guy. after the way that Chud was cut loose, I didn't want to like any new guy,, But he's really hard not to like. Seems tough and fair. Sounds like we could have done a helluva lot worse...LOL In fact, we have several times!

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Another positive of getting Byrd (outside of his talent) would be that it illustrates Farmer and Pettine are working together to build the team. As they have coined "in lock step".

Farmer is building the FA plan but addressing what Pettine feels are key pieces to his schemes.

I still hope there is a way to have both Ward and Byrd, but we'll see. It doesn't look that way at least at this point.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Another positive of getting Byrd (outside of his talent) would be that it illustrates Farmer and Pettine are working together to build the team. As they have coined "in lock step".

Farmer is building the FA plan but addressing what Pettine feels are key pieces to his schemes.

I still hope there is a way to have both Ward and Byrd, but we'll see. It doesn't look that way at least at this point.

I keep hearing that we can't have both but really, isn't money the only thing standing in the way? If they structure Wards deal right (if he'll accept it that is) then why can't it happen. Make it so the major portion of it hits this year.

Hey, it's only money, not an arm and a leg, something you'd really miss

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
For a guy that says he is uncomfortable in front of the camera / media he sure handles it well

"RIGHT PLAYER AT THE RIGHT PRICE"

Works for me.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

I keep hearing that we can't have both but really, isn't money the only thing standing in the way? If they structure Wards deal right (if he'll accept it that is) then why can't it happen. Make it so the major portion of it hits this year.

Yes, it's just a factor of $$ and we have a ton of it. Plus we don't have a franchise QB or premier pass rusher who would command significant amount of money in the next few years. If we lose Ward in order to get Byrd, fine. I'd hate to lose TJ but would welcome Byrd.

Writers always say the NFL in a copycat league?.....well, why not copy what Seattle has done with Chancellor and Thomas. They are a huge reason (alongside Sherman) why Seattle got as far as they did.

Our version of Richard Sherman- Joe Haden.
Our version of Kam Chancellor- TJ Ward.
Our version of Earl Thomas- Jairus Byrd?

Yes, the scheme will also play a part in what the Browns will do but can help to dream of a secondary like that.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

For a guy that says he is uncomfortable in front of the camera / media he sure handles it well.

Yes, he does, tld. When he talks, he seems to be talking direct to you, not down to you. He doesn't seem to dodge questions, and is straight-forward when he can't answer with specifics...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Comes across as a very likeable and honest guy.

What I don't understand is his "trickle down" affect talk when it comes to signing FAs. Not sure how honest he was with that, but if true, then I'd be a bit disappointed. I understand being fiscally responsible, but with the huge amount of cap we are pretty much free to do anything we want. Bayrd and Ward should be no problem...and should not even be a problem to add Shields if we want to

This is a fun game: http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Browns

Any of us can play armchair GM for a moment and cut/extend the players they like. I did. I re-signed Mack, Haden, Sheard, Rubin, Ward, Taylor and Cameron to long term deals all worth 7-12mil annually. I cut Campbell, Weeden and Bess....and you know what? After all of that, there still was well over 25mil of cap for 2015 and that's without the probable carry-over from 2014 and without the very real possibilities of cutting Kruger, D.Bryant (drafting Mingo after signing Kruger will look really stupid when it will cost us either Kruger as a cut or Sheard as a FA we have to let go. What an incredibly stupid pick that was)

What I'm trying to say is: Byrd and Ward financally could easily realized, IF they want to. "Right guy, right price" to me in our situation means if they want a guy, they get the right price part too. Me thinks they don't value Ward all that much and in his scheme, he might be right, but I still think it's irresoponsible to let him walk without any compensation.

We can easily have Mack, Ward, Shields, Byrd, a mid level FA RB like Jennings or Starks, a good OG like Asamoah or Schwartz and a solid ILB without affecting the cap this year and beyond. We can even sign ALL of our own core guys to rich extensions and still be under the cap in 2015.

Just do it and don't give me the crap about "Right player, right price". The way the cap is supposed to rise in the upcoming seasons, there's almost no point of using the cap as an excuse, not in our current situation at least.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc

I refuse to gauge a coach based on what he says in press confzÙence. The only time I would even consider what a player or a coach says in a presser is if it's something "from the soul" aka NOT PC. Like Brandon Weeden and his crying during this season.

Unless a guy says something controversial or unscripted you're literally hearing the company line and that's all I got out of that presser. The company line.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

jc

I refuse to gauge a coach based on what he says in press conference. The only time I would even consider what a player or a coach says in a presser is if it's something "from the soul" aka NOT PC. Like Brandon Weeden and his crying during this season.

Unless a guy says something controversial or unscripted you're literally hearing the?Èompany line and that's all I got out of that presser. The company line.

I don't really think that anyone is gauging the guy based solely based on what they hear in an interview. But I think it's fair to get an idea of what kinda man he is. As for what kinda coach, we'll see that next season.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I still hope there is a way to have ¯oth Ward and Byrd, but we'll see. It doesn't look that way at least at this point.

Yes, it's just a factor of $$ and we have a ton of it. Plus we don't have a franchise QB or premier pass rusher who would command significant amount of money in the next few years. If we lose Ward in order to get Byrd, fine. I'd hate to lose TJ but would welcome Byrd.

Writers always say the NFL in a copycat league?.....well, why not copy what Seattle has done with Chancellor and Thomas. They are a huge reason (alongside x¥erman) why Seattle got as far as they did.

Our version of Richard Sherman- Joe Haden.
Our version of Kam Chancellor- TJ Ward.
Our version of Earl Thomas- Jairus Byrd?

Yes, the scheme will also play a part in what the Browns will do but can help to dream of a secondary like that.

There is nothing really preventing us from keeping Ward and signing Byrd. Traditionally they play different positions (Ward = SS; Byrd = FS).

But it's been said that Pettine's system doesn't really call for a SS and a FS, but that both safeties kind of play the same role and need to be able to trade off, or each cover part of the territory. To me, Ward does not fit that scheme quite as well.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Hire Pettine as HC--cont.

Link Copied to Clipboard