Legend
Legend
I still love you.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It was a commercial.

I didn't like the commercial, but ya'll know what I have the problem with is people living in America who can't speak English. It just chaps my ass.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #846501 02/06/14 02:15 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

It just chaps my ass.

Yes, extremely digs into my pet peeve pocket as' well.

GMdawg #846502 02/06/14 02:34 PM
Legend
Legend
fun fact!

whats the official language of the united states?

http://answers.usa.gov/system/templates/...guage-of-the-US

well...whoops.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #846503 02/06/14 02:51 PM
Legend
Legend
another fun fact

what's the unofficial language in the United States

English

opps

GMdawg #846504 02/06/14 03:19 PM
Legend
Legend
i'm glad its unofficial.

nobody has a problem with the asians in the back speaking chinese when they are cooking your food, or the mexicans in the back speaking spanish when they are cooking your food, or the people that clean your hotel room when you leave speaking whatever. or the indian guy that owns the subway making you boss ass sandwiches, or the arab guy always smiling at you at the gas stations.

but the moment those same americans show their pride by singing a american themed song, in their heritage, about the country they love, its a problem with some people?

i want people to not think i'm throwing my military background around, but if i walk around in uniform, and sing that song in turkce, with my deployment patch and Combat action Badge on, i seriously doubt somebody is going to say anything to my face about it.

cause i don't see people outraged in the streets, i see them outraged on the internet, where they are safe from actually being seen in public showing their "beliefs".

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #846505 02/06/14 03:43 PM
Legend
Legend
Well said.

This mini boycott of Coke products reminds me of the Cleveland boycott of Heinz products after they secured the naming rights to the Steelers stadium. Really, it's that important to you? Please.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Swish #846506 02/06/14 03:46 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
So, you are, at a minimum, bilingual. That is fantastic - and I mean that in all sincerity.

As for the ad - I didn't care for it - but not because other languages were spoken/sung. I just didn't care for it. As well, I felt most of the ads were lacking, for lack of a better term.

As to your generalizations about mexicans, asians, people that clean hotel rooms, indians and asians, etc. Geez - that could be construed as racist, couldn't it?

As for a national language - I don't think anyone cares what people speak at home, or in the back rooms of where ever - in fact, I think it's great that people are bi-lingual, tri, etc. but in all actuality, we need to have one "official" language that all people are capable of using.

Someone earlier mentioned being in Europe where people at a restaurant noticed what language people spoke, then spoke to them in that language: that is fantastic. I also bet those wait people, etc, spoke their country's native language just as well, if not better, than they spoke other languages.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

Someone earlier mentioned being in Europe where people at a restaurant noticed what language people spoke, then spoke to them in that language: that is fantastic. I also bet those wait people, etc, spoke their country's native language just as well, if not better, than they spoke other languages.

That's certainly true - but two things:

1.) There is less immigration into most of these countries compared to the US - that is a good thing for us overall - but it also means that the percentage of people who don't speak the language fluently will be higher than normal.

2.) I think most people who immigrate to the US are learning the language. (The figure I showed before says that the percentage of immigrants (both legal and illegal) with command of the language has gone up in the last 100 years, not down). But it doesn't happen instantly, and I don't think you should demand that anybody who comes here is already fluent in the language.

3.) Also, english is an very hard language to learn -- comparably.

~Lyuokdea
Swish #846508 02/06/14 04:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

nobody has a problem with the asians in the back speaking chinese when they are cooking your food, or the mexicans in the back speaking spanish when they are cooking your food, or the people that clean your hotel room when you leave speaking whatever. or the indian guy that owns the subway making you boss ass sandwiches, or the arab guy always smiling at you at the gas stations.

I have to disagree bro. I have a problem with all of those because they are not speaking English. Now I show my beliefs on the internet or in person. Just ask those who have met me.

Legend
Legend
oh i agree. the ads in general were lame.

too much emotional crap. i watch the commercials for die hard laughs. we got enough patriotic pride when the national anthem was song(which was glorious!!)

i just think some people are outrage...with no real reason behind it.

i mean Dawg_LB didn't like it, but his reasoning make absolute sense. while i don't agree, i can see where the man is coming from, and i can't argue with that.

but others? i don't anybody on this board, but i'm wondering if the people that are outraged over this ad even bothered to learn another language, half way decently at that.

- Theodore Roosevelt
GMdawg #846510 02/06/14 04:06 PM
Legend
Legend
so you think people should only speak english in america?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Lyuokdea #846511 02/06/14 04:09 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
I won't argue any of your points - other than 1 thing: I didn't say anyone needed to know english before they came here - but they really should be able to functionally speak english within, say a year or so, wouldn't you think?

I know a gentleman, came here from Mexico. Speaks english haltingly......but he was able to work at, and retire from "Yee M". He's been here for well over 30 years, and he does more than just struggle with english......he can hardly speak it. (oh, he retired from GM.) That's just one person, I know.

I count bi linguals as an asset, or tri linguals.....etc - but this country runs on english.

And again, I'm not even mentioning the coke commercial. It did nothing for me, good or bad.

Swish #846512 02/06/14 04:09 PM
Legend
Legend
Yes Sir

Legend
Legend
but thats the difference arch.

when you come to this country, you SHOULD be required to learn english in a reasonable time. you don't have to be off the wall fluent, because god knows we have full blooded americans living here right now that butcher the language, but we shouldn't have to struggle to understand what you're saying.

that being said, people are outrage as if thats what that ad represented. it seems like people are outrage over the fact that another language is even tolerated in our country period. like i'm not allowed to speak Turkce. i'm only allowed to speak english.

- Theodore Roosevelt
GMdawg #846514 02/06/14 04:13 PM
Legend
Legend
while i don't agree. at least your consistent in your belief. i'll give you that. i just don't understand why, if this country was ran by you, i wouldn't be allowed to speak Turkce....ever.

- Theodore Roosevelt
GMdawg #846515 02/06/14 04:15 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I have to disagree bro. I have a problem with all of those because they are not speaking English. Now I show my beliefs on the internet or in person. Just ask those who have met me.

But are we sure the two guys in the back of the restuarant speaking X to each other can't speak English too? Maybe it's easier for them to communicate in their native tongue? And if they don't know enough English now, maybe they're in the process of learning it too. I don't think someone can hear two people not using English and assume anything.

I think I said this before on here. Say your company or a rival company offered you $500,000-1,000,000 a year to perform your job in Mexico for 2-3 years. You say yes and go there. Assuming you don't already know Spanish you'd be out of place and most of the people would be upset at you for not speaking Spanish but you know you would be trying to learn and eventually get it. But that guy that served you a coffee on Day 3 might still think you're unwilling to learn and want you to leave the country.

My in-laws speak a lot of non-English around town and I think I can pick up that some others don't like it. But I know all of them also know English very well. They just talk to each other because it's part of who they are.

I would think most people that don't know English in the States are trying to learn. Sure, some aren't, but do you know which ones are which?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Swish #846516 02/06/14 04:16 PM
Legend
Legend
Oh I'm not saying you wouldn't or shouldn't speak it in your own home or around family or friends, just not in public around others who don't speak Turkce bro.

Swish #846517 02/06/14 04:19 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

while i don't agree. at least your consistent in your belief. i'll give you that. i just don't understand why, if this country was ran by you, i wouldn't be allowed to speak Turkce....ever.

GM can speak for himself, but I don't think he's saying what you think he's saying.

If I were at your house, I'd love to hear you speak Turkce. But if you walk into a business, I would certainly hope you could speak english, because otherwise, we just won't be able to communicate in any way other than "cave man".

I wish I was bi lingual. I can speak enough (well, no that's not true anymore) but at one time, I could speak enough spanish to get by in Mexico.........but if I lived there, I certainly wouldn't expect THEM to cater to my language. Same with german, or italian, or swahili, or chinese, etc. When there is an accepted norm for language, learn it, soon, or don't gripe about it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think I said this before on here. Say your company or a rival company offered you $500,000-1,000,000 a year to perform your job in Mexico for 2-3 years. You say yes and go there. Assuming you don't already know Spanish you'd be out of place and most of the people would be upset at you for not speaking Spanish but you know you would be trying to learn and eventually get it. But that guy that served you a coffee on Day 3 might still think you're unwilling to learn and want you to leave the country.

1st off I wouldn't take the job. No amount of money is worth moving away from my family and friends. Now just assume I would take the job. I would not go to Mexico without learning Spanish 1st. I Just would feel right going to their country without being able to speak their language.

GMdawg #846519 02/06/14 04:22 PM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

Oh I'm not saying you wouldn't or shouldn't speak it in your own home or around family or friends, just not in public around others who don't speak Turkce bro.

Why - your right to not feel uncomfortable trumps his right (as a citizen) to speak to his friends in a language that they are most comfortable with? Really? Let's say that they are discussing some book written in Turkce - or they are quoting what somebody's grandmother said the other day?

They all need to understand each other somewhat less well - just so that you (not involved in the conversation whatsoever) feels better?

That's like saying that others shouldn't be able to listen to rap, because I only like country and it irritates me if somebody expresses themselves in a way that is more comfortable to them.

Or saying that nobody should be able to wear jeans - because I think a decent society requires khakis.

That's crazy.

~Lyuokdea
GMdawg #846520 02/06/14 04:25 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

1st off I wouldn't take the job. No amount of money is worth moving away from my family and friends. Now just assume I would take the job. I would not go to Mexico without learning Spanish 1st. I Just would feel right going to their country without being able to speak their language.

Well, in the hypothetical situation was that you had to accept right away....and you accepted. I wouldn't want to live or work in Mexico either. I think I could learn the language on the fly fast enough that I'd be okay.

I'm right there with all of you. If guy X walks into your hardware store and doesn't speak English but still demands service, you're either going to have to grunt your way through his needs or gets shown the door.

Maybe this guy X just moved here last week and is in process of learning. If I knew that, I'd try being patient with him. To your point, maybe he's been coming into your shop for 15 years, in that case, I'd be upset at him too.

As for two people talking in another language to each other in public, come on. If you're not part of the conversation, what should you care? And like I said above, you may not even know if they can speak English too.

[Linked Image]

Lyuokdea #846521 02/06/14 04:28 PM
Legend
Legend
Now hold on their I wear jeans to weddings, and funerals. I don't even own a pair of khakis

Let me repeat something I have said on this message board dozens of times over the years. If you can't speak english then get the hell out of the country. That's how I feel and I won't apoligize if that upsets or offends you. If you don't agree with me thats fine you have a right to your feelings just like I have a right to mine.

Also Rap sucks lol

Legend
Legend
Yeah, I read an article the other day that touted the fact that roughly 20% of Americans can speak a language language other than English well enough to hold a conversation. I have seen numbers anywhere from 20-25%.

That means that 75% - 80% of Americans are "English only", when it comes to language.

Frankly, I am of the opinion that someone coming to America should learn the language in order to acclimate to their new home. I do not feel that they should expect their new country to adapt to them regarding language.

As far as the commercial, I cannot ever remember hearing of the national anthem or America the beautiful in a language other than English. I do not remember ever hearing the national anthem sung in Mandarin, Japanese, Lebanese, or any other language. Does doing so offend me? I don't think it necessarily offends me ...... but I do think that it is something that rarely happens.

I do seem to recall the Chinese playing America the Beautiful at one of their space launches shortly after 9/11 as a sign of support for the victims of the 9/11 attacks ..... but I really don't recall too many other instances of it happening in other languages.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

As for two people talking in another language to each other in public, come on. If you're not part of the conversation, what should you care? And like I said above, you may not even know if they can speak English too.

Oh it's easy enough to find out if they can speak english. Trust me a few choice words directed at them tells you really quick if they can speak english.

GMdawg #846524 02/06/14 04:36 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Oh it's easy enough to find out if they can speak english. Trust me a few choice words directed at them tells you really quick if they can speak english.

Haha...fair enough. If you're ready to fight over something like that, it's your choice. If you try that on a few of my uncles and you'd find out the hard way that they can.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Hey no problem a few punches, some rolling around on the ground, and we would head to the bar and buy each other a few beers lol

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Yeah, i think it would tell everybody in the area much more about GM than it would against those who "dare use a language GM doesn't understand"

~Lyuokdea
GMdawg #846527 02/06/14 04:40 PM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

Hey no problem a few punches, some rolling around on the ground, and we would head to the bar and buy each other a few beers lol

Honestly, why would they want to deal with you again - after you made it clear you don't respect them?

I can't figure out if you're joking, or really have had so few experiences with immigrants that you don't realize that would be ridiculously offensive.

~Lyuokdea
GMdawg #846528 02/06/14 04:40 PM
Legend
Legend
Years ago, when I sold cars, I worked with a guy who was stationed in the Far East while he was in the military. He spoke several languages fluently.

He had this Vietnamese couple come in to buy a car the one day, and he never told them that he spoke their language. Evidently they kept talking back and forth about how dim he was, and how they were going to really take him for every last penny. They were down to brass tacks on the deal, and the husband said to the wife that he was going to buy the car, but that he was "going to get this idiot to throw in the warranty", or something like that. The salesman kept quiet, but told the boss not to throw it in. He went back and told the people that he was sorry, but the boss wouldn't do it. The guy laughed and said that he would take it anyway. Then the salesman said thank you, in detail, in their language. You should have seen the looks on their faces when they realized that he understood everything they said.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Lyuokdea #846529 02/06/14 04:41 PM
Legend
Legend
LMAO yep like I am really worried about what others think of me bro. People can like me or hate me no skin off my nose. I'm to old to waste time worrying about it.

Lyuokdea #846530 02/06/14 04:45 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Honestly, why would they want to deal with you again - after you made it clear you don't respect them?

I can't figure out if you're joking, or really have had so few experiences with immigrants that you don't realize that would be ridiculously offensive.

I'm not joking at all. I feel like anybody who comes to this country and can't speak English has already disrespected me, and this country. So i'm not worried at all if I hurt their feelings on this subject.

Legend
Legend
I Love that story Ytown

GMdawg #846532 02/06/14 09:26 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
This thread had some potential awhile ago, but has become stupid.

Legend
Legend
Thank god you typed that in English

GMdawg #846534 02/06/14 10:45 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Are you saying that two people shouldn't converse in a language other than English while in public?

PDR #846535 02/06/14 10:55 PM
Legend
Legend
In this country YES. I am sure you will not agree with me either bro, and that's fine bash away

GMdawg #846536 02/06/14 10:57 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Thank god you typed that in English

Este hilo tiene algunas posibles hace bastante tiempo, pero se ha convertido en un estúpido.

Legend
Legend
I expected nothing less from you buddy In plain old english screw you

GMdawg #846538 02/06/14 11:23 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

In this country YES. I am sure you will not agree with me either bro, and that's fine bash away

It's certainly one of the dumbest notions that I've ever heard.

So if you were visiting another country, you would feel the need to refrain from speaking English when you're walking down the street talking with your wife or friend or whoever?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2013 Super Bowl Ads

Link Copied to Clipboard