Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
PDR #846539 02/07/14 12:33 AM
Legend
Legend
Oh hell yes I would. I would feel like I was disrespecting people if I didn't.

Quote:

It's certainly one of the dumbest notions that I've ever heard.

I guess you never read any of your on posts then

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #846540 02/07/14 01:06 AM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
What, exactly, is disrespectful about it?

No offense, but that's some of the most P.C. nonsense I've ever heard.

PDR #846541 02/07/14 01:39 AM
Legend
Legend
We speak english in this country. If you don't care enough to learn the local language before you come to our country then that is disrespectful IMO.

and just how in the hell is that PC?

GMdawg #846542 02/07/14 09:15 AM
J
Legend
Legend
J
If I go to live in another country I think it would be amazingly rude of me not to learn the language of the country. I would learn the language and the customs of that country. That is how I would handle it, but obviously other people see it differently.

I thought the commercial was stupid, but that's as far as it goes. Of course, because I thought it was dumb, I'm a bigot. It's interesting how many of those who profess to be open minded and tolerant are often the least accepting of differing views and resort to pigeonholing and name calling.

PDR #846543 02/07/14 10:06 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Oh I'm not saying you wouldn't or shouldn't speak it in your own home or around family or friends, just not in public around others who don't speak Turkce bro.

Are you saying that two people shouldn't converse in a language other than English while in public?

I won't go as far as GM.. but if you are going to live here, not just visit here but live here... don't walk into my store speaking some broken foreign dialect and get mad when I can't understand you. And don't expect me to have signs and paperwork in your language so you can fill them out for a loan or whatever. I know businesses do because it's their business decision... but if you are going to live and work here, you should make a serious effort to learn the language.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
so you're saying the moment they come off the plane, they have zero time to get use to the language, they better know it right then and there.

let me tell you about most foreign people, especially being from a family that migrated over here: they don't expect anybody to help them. they know what they need to do, and the first thing is talk with americans to get use to the language and the slang. my dad told me when he moved over here from Turkey, the only english he knew was the rosetta stone version with the tape cassettes. him and my grandfather would sit in public places in cleveland and just pay attention to how people spoke, and how their body language moved with their speech. in Turkey we don't use too much body language, but its big here in america. most people already know how to read, at least well enough to get by. and don't have much problems understand what english speaking people are trying to say. its speaking back that is the problem.

its the same thing when i go see my family in Turkey. my grandad and Dad only had each other to talk to in Turkce here in america, so over the years it was less and less Turkce and more and more english. so when they taught me, it was pretty much slang and broke Turkce. so when i went to see my family there, i understood everything thats going on, but speaking back was a nightmare. it took time.

and thats what you need to understand, it takes time. especially when you move from another country. hell, british people have a hard time understand our english sometimes, and they INVENTED the language lol. so how do you expect people from a country who doesn't speak english just to get it like its riding a bike or something?

some of you guys have unrealistic expectations. its nothing bad i guess, its just a lot of you don't have ANY experiences with true foreigners.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree with you Jules about the needing to learn English if your gonna live in this country but for the ad it's self that was just Coke's way of showing the diversity of America. I guess they could have sung it in English and just shown pictures of the people but how many of them would you be able to recognize the heritage of?

Another thing if you check how the commercial was made most if not all the people who were in the Ad do speak English
LINK

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
GMdawg #846546 02/07/14 10:36 AM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

You said you would be hesitant to speak in a manner that may disrespect or offend others around you.

How is that not being PC?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I thought the commercial was stupid, but that's as far as it goes. Of course, because I thought it was dumb, I'm a bigot. It's interesting how many of those who profess to be open minded and tolerant are often the least accepting of differing views and resort to pigeonholing and name calling.

Par for the course around here. Good luck, though…I mentioned it at some point yesterday and not one person has bothered to address their aholeishness.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If I go to live in another country I think it would be amazingly rude of me not to learn the language of the country. I would learn the language and the customs of that country. That is how I would handle it, but obviously other people see it differently.

Gee I didn't notice anybody disagreeing with me on this thread lol

PDR #846549 02/07/14 11:16 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You said you would be hesitant to speak in a manner that may disrespect or offend others around you.

How is that not being PC?

Yo Phil I believe that might be the first time in my life anybody thought I was PC

GMdawg #846550 02/07/14 11:41 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We used to call it common courtesy. Everything seems to MEAN something now. You can't just be nice or kind to others because it's the right thing to do.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Par for the course around here. Good luck, though…I mentioned it at some point yesterday and not one person has bothered to address their aholeishness.

I hope i wasn't included in that, If i was then i apologize i didn't mean to come off that way.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

We used to call it common courtesy. Everything seems to MEAN something now. You can't just be nice or kind to others because it's the right thing to do.

There's nothing kind or courteous or right about two people refraining from speaking English while walking down the streets of, say, Germany.

There's nothing disrespectful or offensive about speaking it, either.

So to refrain from doing so is more or less a tail-between-the legs, preemptive attempt to not offend a small percentage of those who may not like it.

I'm not one to throw around the term much, but that sounds like being politically correct to me.

PDR #846553 02/07/14 01:18 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So to refrain from doing so is more or less a tail-between-the legs, preemptive attempt to not offend a small percentage of those who may not like it.

That may be the way you see it, but I see it as showing respect to the people and the country I would be in. To me it's like running around flipping everybody the bird when you go to a country and do not speak their language.

GMdawg #846554 02/07/14 01:46 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I understand what GM is saying. I don't agree with how far he takes his point, but I'm with him in general.

In Mexico, I would butcher the language so bad sometimes, but usually nobody cared. Rarely, they would laugh, but the appreciation of attempting the local language was always obvious. It didn't matter if it was easier to communicate with them in English. They appreciated the effort.

The flip side of that is nobody ever gave me as much of a sideways glance when I would be having a private conversation with a friend in English in a cafe or bar.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm not going to side GM, or say he's way out there or totally far out in his opinion - I will just provide a story and then a short hypothesis at the end.

One of my ex-gf's got hit by a Japanese girl (all parties were fine, minor crash) - but of course this Japanese girl didn't speak/understand a lick of English. It made an already stressful situation, even more stressful listening to this person yab and not being to understand anything. The cops arrived, and I figured "okay, they'll know how to handle this" and the only question I heard them ask her was "Ma'am, do you speak English?" while constantly looking at each other and shrugging. We gave them our side (it was the Japanese girls fault) - but we had to wait on scene until someone was found someone who could translate what that girl was saying (and they did it via walky-talky).

So in terms of GM finding it disrespectful, I can definitely see where he's coming from. I'm not a violent person, i'm a Web Developer so that basically means my patience level is high - but at the end of that situation; I really wanted to choke that girl out and leg drop her a few times I was so incredibly aggravated by the time wasted JUST b/c she had no clue of English language. Cops told me she's been a resident of Ohio for over four years cause I asked if she was just a tourist or something. FOUR YEARS AND YOU CAN'T MANAGE TO LEARN THE LOCAL LANGUAGE?!?!?!?! ARE YOU EVEN SERIOUS!?!?! So yeah, I can relate - just not perhaps as deep of a level as he described...

PS, not sure if it was the first encoutner for the two cops - but they too was MAD!

Dawg_LB #846556 02/07/14 02:38 PM
Legend
Legend
I think people should understand some basic English when coming to the Unted States. There is nothing wrong with that idea. I don't understand how one could even function here when you factor in reading road signs and the ability to have a job. I don't take it as disrespect unless people say I should speak their language to make it easier for them.

I don't know what others mean by customs. Do you mean their social norms or religious / ethnic norms?

GMdawg #846557 02/07/14 05:23 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

To me it's like running around flipping everybody the bird when you go to a country and do not speak their language.

To me it sounds more like you being overly sensitive, and wanting the world to conform to your standards (hence the 'P.C.' thing).

I can understand being upset when someone can't speak English in terms of everyday interactions and transactions, but two people walking down the street talking to each other in the language they're most comfortable with is, frankly, none of your business or concern.

If I was walking down the street in, say, France, and talking to my buddy in English, and someone scolded me for speaking to my buddy in English, then I would flip them the bird. Literally, not figuratively.

PDR #846558 02/07/14 07:43 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

There's nothing kind or courteous or right about two people refraining from speaking English while walking down the streets of, say, Germany.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
j/c

I'm not really bothered by people speaking other languages here. I live and work in Phoenix and I here people speak Spanish every single day and I don't understand a word of it. I've had people need to speak to me at work and have to get someone to speak for them because they cant speak English. If they don't want to learn that's fine with me. It's more of a burden for them than it is for me.

It's just part of the culture here in the southwest, and also in southern california and florida. Just because our ancestors moved here first and started speaking English here first, I don't see how that means they are required to. If they are here legally and are good law abiding, tax paying citizens, then that is fine with me.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2013 Super Bowl Ads

Link Copied to Clipboard