Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#855337 02/24/14 08:09 PM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Will be closing down PERMANENTLY March 1st.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #855338 02/24/14 08:10 PM
Legend
Legend
yea people are already starting to migrate over

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #855339 02/24/14 08:12 PM
Legend
Legend
BrownsChat is closing again, or is this a flashback to 2013?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

BrownsChat is closing again?

Get ready for some new members.

Does this mean we are going to have more people like Versatile Dog?

(I kid, I kid)

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
First time they ever said the words "PERMANENTLY" and its a sticky at the top with post #1 from the BROWNS TEAM. Now thanks for being loyal fans or anything just come visit the media section they supply and force feed and oh yeah buy things...lol

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #855342 02/24/14 08:31 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It was still open? I tried the Browns chat for about a month when it first opened and thought it was horrible...

<><

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #855343 02/24/14 09:15 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

It was still open? I tried the Browns chat for about a month when it first opened and thought it was horrible...

I'm the death knell. I just signed up a couple days ago.

eotab #855345 02/24/14 10:22 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was so thrilled when Haslam took over the Browns. I couldn't stand Junior and was so excited to see a passionate owner for our Browns.

However, Haslam is proving to be a major jerk. He can kiss my butt.

How many teams do not have a message board in the NFL? Serious question.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Yeah, I feel what you're saying. That is just a tad embarrassing. However the quality or perhaps maturity of the users over there on the official boards don't measure up to the users here (or most users I should say). And although many think we are kneejerk on this board, you should see some of the official browns chat posts sometimes.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
V
Legend
Legend
V
I've seen them. I was banned from this board for quite a long time and posted over there for years.

Again, I ask...............how many NFL teams do not have an official message board?

Haslam is starting to look like a freaking jerk!!!! I defended this guy for quite awhile, but he is making one stupid move after another. He is coming across as a scum-sucking parasite who can't accept criticism.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

I was so thrilled when Haslam took over the Browns. I couldn't stand Junior and was so excited to see a passionate owner for our Browns.

However, Haslam is proving to be a major jerk. He can kiss my butt.

How many teams do not have a message board in the NFL? Serious question.

Who knows? They could be putting it on the back burner so they can invest in a real forum for once. The last one looked absolutely putrid.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought tab said it was being closed "permanently?"

eotab #855350 02/24/14 10:40 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
With all of the other alternatives who really cares if there is an official board? Is this really a thing? If you are doing something poorly, should you continue to do it just to do it?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

I don't see why that changes anything. You brought up a good point, which teams don't have an official message board?

cfrs15 #855352 02/24/14 10:55 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
So...............how many NFL teams do not have an official message board?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I don't see why that changes anything. You brought up a good point, which teams don't have an official message board?

There's a certain level of standardization with team websites, and a certain bit autonomy. You can tell this simply by going and looking at any number of the sites.
If this is one of the standardized items, then we'll probably see more of this from other teams. If this is one of the areas the league gives each team the freedom to do as they wish, then -- who knows?

I do know that the timing coincides with the outage from last year, which was brought on by the expiration of their hosting contract with Infopop - they did not host or run their own forums, it was hosted externally by that company. It stands to reason that they renewed last year, but on a one year renewal and this would fall in line with the timing for things to expire. So, they're simply choosing to not renew it again.

Last year, their plan was to leave it down until they could find something better and more suitable. That lasted just a few days before they chose to renew.
Things are under different management in that group this year (the people I worked with and spoke to last year are all gone), so they have obviously chosen to take a new direction. When I spoke with the new guy recently (December), he seemed pretty savvy and intelligent, so I'm betting that they aren't just willy-nilly making this decision, but have reasoning and a plan behind it.

Browns is the Browns

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's cool to hear from someone who has knowledge of the situation.

Thanks.

J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:

Last year, their plan was to leave it down until they could find something better and more suitable. That lasted just a few days before they chose to renew.

That's actually not true. They chose another group to host the message board and had a new board in the wings for months before the planned shutdown last year. But, as usual, they got no input into the board and had no idea how message boards work, and it ended up being such a cluster that they just stopped everything.

The Browns front office folks didn't even realize Brownschat had been shut down until weeks or months later when they told someone to open it back up. The organization has been inept in just about every aspect.

I've read some of the conspiracy stuff about Banner or Haslam shutting it down. That's a joke.

V
Legend
Legend
V
This is getting interesting.

I have a feeling you actually know what you are talking about. I could care less if I was wrong. I want to know the truth.

So Jules................who is responsible for shutting down Brown's Chat?

J
Legend
Legend
J
I was speaking about the first time they shut it down last year. This time around, I have no idea, it just came out of the blue for everyone.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
jc

It's probably just an exec or maybe even the President. I really hope Haslam and Banner are having any inputs on the boards (because it's a waste of time), well maybe Banner can do it while he's clearing out his desks, but I think they're far too important for such trivial matters.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh.............I misunderstood. Never mind. LOL

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That's actually not true. They chose another group to host the message board and had a new board in the wings for months before the planned shutdown last year. But, as usual, they got no input into the board and had no idea how message boards work, and it ended up being such a cluster that they just stopped everything.

Ah, cool. I had just assumed they renewed versus going with new.

Still, the timing works out to be in the ballpark of one year from when things changed last year; which could/would likely be a contract expiration.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I was speaking about the first time they shut it down last year. This time around, I have no idea, it just came out of the blue for everyone.

if memory serves me correctly... I think this is the 3rd time this has happened over there. in the past 4-5 years.

it's always around draft time. I guess I figured it was so that the media couldn't quote chat members as a source.

Either way.. .I'm glad to have more people around here.

Hopefully they all post great articles for us to read and discuss.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Just a question for those blaming Banner, Haslam, Farmer, and such .......

Wouldn't this stuff fall under the control of the business side of team operations ... probably under the PR department? It used to, once upon a time.

I feel bad for those who post over there, but it really won't affect me at all. I think that I have posted there once in the past 5 or so years, and that was when this board crashed for that extended period of time. The people there were nice enough, but I really hated the board architecture. It was boring, generic, and lacked features.

That said, a lot of people seem to like boring and generic, and complain about the color scheme of this board, so maybe a stickied thread on how to change styles might be an idea to keep people around if they come over? Some people like black print on a white background, so maybe put up directions showing how to change the styles? Just a thought.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I just learned how to text last year so don't ask me technical stuff...lol but here is the post from the Browns media and it has its own Forum: "Announcement"

posted February 24, 2014 05:19 PM
ALERT: Effective Saturday, March 1, 2014, the Cleveland Browns Chat Forum will shut down permanently. We encourage you to utilize the Browns' social media channels to engage and interact with Browns fans on the latest news relating to the team. For more on the latest news, visit Clevelandbrowns.com.

-Cleveland Browns Digital Team

I had many friends over here and when the Board split up I tried to post at both but its hard when you don't have the time and I always chosed the Browns Board over this one not out of spite or ego or anything. But cause I'm very loyal and said I would never leave that board.

As for what they think of this board...many don't know about it a lot do. They don't look down on it in any way - I told all good bye and that they can find me here if that is ok with you.

The posting here by far on the whole. Most of the threads are the same title and have the same articles but the discussion is not there - most good posters left cause of the immaturity that is rampant there. I asked the same question there Vers....How many NFL teams do not have a message board.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #855364 02/25/14 03:38 AM
Legend
Legend
Hmm .... now I'm curious.

I don't see a message board on the Steelers site.

The Ravens do. The Bengals do.

The Dolphins have a section of links to fan and media sites, but I didn't see a message board.

The Jets have a message board. I don't see one on the Patriots board. The Bills have a message board.

The Colts have a board, as do the Titans, Texans, and Jags.

The Broncos have a fan forum. I don't see one on the Chiefs site, or the Chargers site, or the Raiders site.

I'm not going through the NFC though.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
The Dolphins, Patriots, Steelers, Raiders, Bears, Packers, Vikings, Saints, and Buccaneers don't have a message board that I found on their main site.

So while most teams do have them, it is not unheard of for them not to have them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Steelers had one at one point, and I'm pretty sure the steelers and browns websites use the same framework. The templates are different but the message telling me to turn off my ad blocker looks identical.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #855367 02/25/14 04:14 AM
Legend
Legend
I have never been nor will ever be shy, HeY Browns please KISS MY ENTIRE ASS

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm sure you remember Purp, that the Browns organization has never really supported their message board since the roll-out of the new website back in what, 2006?

I think they invested in and trusted their host partner thinking that a new website would fire up without a hitch. I often thought that the message board was something that came bundled with the new website so they took it as is and shut down DawgTalk, (which had been highly successful), without taking into consideration what a huge undertaking and major change they were getting into.

From it's inception BrownsChat was near impossible to moderate. Emails could not be verified so many members signed up for multiple usernames. Members could not be banned for being disruptive and/or violating the rules because once banned they could simply sign-in under a new user name and continue their mischief.

The FO did not fix those problems with Browns Chat even after months, nay, years of begging for fixes. When they could be reached for comment they sounded sincere, as though they cared. But they ignored the pleas for help.

When that new Official Website went up their concern for a message board was non-existent. Eventually, BrownsChat became a thorn in their side and frankly was at the bottom of their list of concerns.

Hell, they didn't even know that "chat" is something different than a Forum-type message board when they named it. Many of you may remember a contest with the intent of finding a new name for BrownsChat. But that fell by the wayside as it became ever more obvious that the FO was not interested in supporting their own official message board at all.

I'm not surprised in the least that it has been shut down. Right from the beginning it was never given the attention it needed.

My only fear now is that DawgTalkers will become overwhelmed with sheer numbers of the worst of the worst and this place will need to be ready to handle the craziness.

I suggest that everyone here point the incoming hoard toward the Rules of the Pound and self-police the offenders.

Heck, it may even be time for the return of the Nazi Refs.

#gmstrong
eotab #855369 02/25/14 04:37 AM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
At first I thought you meant our chatroom and I was confused.

The more the merrier. So long as they all pay the five cent posting tax to me

cfrs15 #855370 02/25/14 07:49 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

The Dolphins, Patriots, Steelers, Raiders, Bears, Packers, Vikings, Saints, and Buccaneers don't have a message board that I found on their main site.

So while most teams do have them, it is not unheard of for them not to have them.

My guess is fewer will over time. I think more will concentrate on the facebook pages and things like that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Haslam is starting to look like a freaking jerk!!!! I defended this guy for quite awhile, but he is making one stupid move after another. He is coming across as a scum-sucking parasite who can't accept criticism.

Vers, there comes a time when one needs to just vent and let it out. Stop keeping things bottled up, you could give yourself an ulcer.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:

Quote:

if memory serves me correctly... I think this is the 3rd time this has happened over there. in the past 4-5.

Nope, those were different. The board crashed a few times around FA and the draft. Last year's closure was due to a complete screw up and miscommunication. This is the first time they have decided to do away with the message board permanently.

eotab #855373 02/25/14 09:10 AM
Legend
Legend
Who cares. Poor managed site, top to bottom. I can't even remember the last time I visited clevelandbrowns.com. Their webmasters must be cavemen.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I've read some of the conspiracy stuff about Banner or Haslam shutting it down. That's a joke.

No, it simply fits our agenda...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
J/C
I'm kind of glad that the board shut down last year. It forced me to come here and get some news and read the discussions.

I went back to the old board at the start of the season, but came back here about half way through. I liked commenting on eo's "What I saw" and Vers' "Good/Bad/Ugly."

When Vers left, I started the thread a couple of times, but no one really added anything except for "we suck" or "all ugly". Eo just quit doing "What I saw" because there was nothing but negative posts and no real game talk.

Memphis and Dawg_LB would make a visit on occasion and actually talk football, but that board turned south in a hurry. There was no real discussion about football on there, just a bunch of Wendy Whiners who just talked crap about everything.

I haven't been back since because I like it here.

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
Welcome to any and all new folks who wonder over from Browns Chat.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Browns Chat room

Link Copied to Clipboard