Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#855457 03/02/14 03:08 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Seeing some of the same names from that old site I am assuming this one has now become the "official" fan board?

LOL,, Not sure the Browns would like to hear that this is the official board but I guess if they are shutting down their board, what can they really say?

Anyway, this is a place that will have bickering.. no question. Most times it's about differences of opinion on football matters. But sometimes, it can get very personal. Sadly, I've been involved in a few of those. Some I regret, others not even a little.

But more than anything else, this is a place (and always has been) where you can come and talk about what a great game the Browns had, or how horrible they played. About the Draft, or FA's. You can usually find the latest news about the team here because you have several hundred folks scouring the various sites and reporting it back here.

Enjoy,,, and Welcome.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
#855458 03/02/14 03:18 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The faults of the old site were referres who seemed to quash things far too quickly (or ban people - example: I was once banned for using the "s" word when Chip Kelly played his games with us during Chud's hire). Free speech? Clearly not there. The ref said it was because "minors use the site". Ummm...walk out on a school playground and you will hear far worse language in a much more hateful way!

Not sure what the "s" word is….the cuss word for poop? You can't use that word here, either, FYI. If you want to post on a board where you can swear, go find one. Trust me, I pretty much have a swear word in every sentence in real life at times, but I don't want to read it on a forum. Different strokes.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sure can't use it here. I got a 10 day ban for using that word. Didn't even know it was considered a banned word here at the time.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #855460 03/02/14 03:55 PM
Legend
Legend
Really? well sh ..........oot.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

this is a place (and always has been) where you can come and talk about what a great game the Browns had, or how horrible they played. About the Draft, or FA's. You can usually find the latest news about the team here because you have several hundred folks scouring the various sites and reporting it back here.

Thank you for the welcome. The quoted text above is exactly WHY I visit sites like this.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

If you want to post on a board where you can swear, go find one. Trust me, I pretty much have a swear word in every sentence in real life at times, but I don't want to read it on a forum. Different strokes.

I don't need a board to swear on, thank you. BUT, I do believe that sometimes these words warrant their use. If they are overused they lose their power and meaning. At the time, to describe the Chip Kelly situation as "what a poop show this has become" has far less weight than how I did write it (and sounds like an elementary school kid wrote it).

But, hey...whatever. I certainly didnt lose sleep over it nor do I need my hands slapped again. I had enough of that when I was in school.

#855463 03/02/14 04:42 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm just telling you how it works. Can't say it here, either. It's not about the Refs on the old board…it's about the rules on most of these boards.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
My neighbor's Shihtzu loves shitake mushrooms.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D

Shidder's full, Merry Christmas!

Dave #855466 03/02/14 09:50 PM
S
1st String
1st String
S
Greatest Christmas movie ever!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Amen!

<><

#gmstrong
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:

Quote:

Amen!

I beg to differ!!!! It's A Wonderful Life!!!! Greatest Christmas Movie EVER!!!!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
MrTed #855469 03/03/14 12:57 AM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
You're both wrong.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P

PDR #855471 03/03/14 01:48 AM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

MrTed #855472 03/03/14 09:33 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Amen!

I beg to differ!!!! It's A Wonderful Life!!!! Greatest Christmas Movie EVER!!!!

A close second, but the best is "A Christmas Carol" with George C Scott as Scrooge.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sorry... I gotta go with Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
1st String
1st String
S
Nope number 1 than you have ooooohhh fudge! But I didn't say fudge A Christmas Story!

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
I always found the George C Scott version to be a weak imitation of the Alistair Sim version. But it has been growing on me.

However I would still prefer the Captain Picard version over the Scott version.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
MrTed #855476 03/03/14 02:26 PM
Legend
Legend
BUH HUMBUG

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
eotab #855477 03/03/14 07:40 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Thanks tor dawgtalkers for welcoming us! My 2nd time around here.

If Haslam can't afford to keep the "official" board running, I guess I know how free agency is going to go...

"Build through the draft"
"We're not going to win the Super Bowl"
"We're not going 13-3"
"Long-term...."

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Thanks tor dawgtalkers for welcoming us! My 2nd time around here.

If Haslam can't afford to keep the "official" board running, I guess I know how free agency is going to go...

"Build through the draft"
"We're not going to win the Super Bowl"
"We're not going 13-3"
"Long-term...."

Welcome,, But I doubt one has anyting to do with the other. There has got to be another reason for them dumping the board.. I just don't know what it is.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
It's called stupidity bro

GMdawg #855480 03/04/14 07:59 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's called stupidity bro

They had it made in the shade GM.. Remember when we would go to camp. They'd reserve a section for us, give us prizes.. Remember the one year we got VIP passes and were allowed to get some free food and drink in the tent up by the building.. wow, that was a great time. Hell they even referred to it as Dawgtalk day...LOL

They literally had us eating out of their hands. Not only were we fans of the team, but we were loving the treatment.

then they just blew us off like dust on an old piece of furniture.. From that point on, I had little respect for people that had little respect for the fans they say are the best fans in the land.

I'd have hoped that Haslam would have made the fans a priority but at least from the standpoint of a message board, his bunch of guys failed.

I don't really blame him personally however. He's a guy with a ton of garbage on his back. He can't possibly know every little detail of what goes on.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I was a Ref on the old (original) board for a while, and we had a guy in charge there, who was incredibly helpful. The Refs had his email, and his cell phone number, and his permission to contact him any time we needed. We actually got to meet with him in Berea, which was cool.

Then, of course, as happens with really good people, he got promoted. I seem to recall that it was the next guy who set the "Browns Chat" board in place. I had quit as a Ref at that point.

As far as Haslam, I doubt that he even knows that the site used to have a message board. He might see an overall budget for the site itself, but that's almost certainly about it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
MrTed #855482 03/04/14 10:44 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I always found the George C Scott version to be a weak imitation of the Alistair Sim version. But it has been growing on me.

However I would still prefer the Captain Picard version over the Scott version.

IDK, I keep waiting for him to say "make it so"

and for me nothing is better than GCS at the gravesite with the gohst of Xmas future or whaever the hell he is called,

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I was a Ref on the old (original) board for a while, and we had a ¸D%L^ c·P. RIthere, who was incredibly helpful. The Refs had his email, and his cell phone number, and his permission to contact him any time we needed. We actually got to meet with him in Berea, which was cool.

Then, of course, as happens with really good people, he got promoted. I seem to recall that it was the next guy who set the "Browns Chat" bo~Ùd in place. I had quit as a Ref at that point.

As far as Haslam, I doubt that he even knows that the site used to have a message board. He might see an overall budget for the site itself, but that's almost certainly about it.

I wasn't a ref or anything but I did get to meet a guy that worked for the browns when they had one of the Dawgtalk days.. Nice kid, tried to do his best for us (this is as things•½ ¹™woǹ µ×g) but frankly, V‹got the feeling his hands were tied and he could not do what he felt was right. there were some kinda prizes that were awarded.. not sure how that worked. But it seemed as if he had one hell of a time getting the Browns to shell out for the prizes. seemed odd.

Anyway, their loss. They had the chance to really make something special out of that board and all they did is take the pooch out back and did the nasÅ"¡XIitJ€`§F>
Say Luv E LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
GMdawg #855484 03/04/14 11:18 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Im just wondering who footed the bill for the one [chatroom] that just shutdown?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The message board…Browns Chat? The Browns organization.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
D
Legend
Legend
D
I really can't see the subscription or whatever required to keep the Browns Chat up and running being maybe the cost of a single sold, nosebleed ticket at the stadium.

Or the profit from selling four beers at the stadium. It's quite shameful that they either A. won't pay it to keep it alive or B. won't find an alternate, free system to use which there are MANY out there.

Either or, pathetic.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I haven't posted there in a very long time. When I did it wasn't often. I simply didn't like the format or lack of features on the board.

But I wonder what the tone of things were there? Was there far more negativity about coaching changes and FO overhaul than positive comments?

I have no idea. But it would make sense that if people decided to come to a message board and saw mainly negative comments, that a corporation may not find it appealing to make a continuing investment in bad press.

If you look at how the press ran with the 'Three stooges" comment, would it be in the Browns best interest to help pay for media fodder?

Just something that crossed my mind and wondering. Maybe those coming here from there could help me out with the general mood of things over there?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I came from there and there wasn't really a "mood". Everyone had their own thoughts and opinions on EVERYTHING. Some were optomistic, some were pessimistic, and most were somewhere in between.

#855489 03/04/14 02:05 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I came from there and there wasn't really a "mood". Everyone had their own thoughts and opinions on EVERYTHING. Some were optomistic, some were pessimistic, and most were somewhere in between.

I'd say that things differ from person to person if they see that as something positive to pay for or negative to pay for. Alec Scheiner or others within the organization may see such things as a liability more than an asset.

I have no idea. That's pure speculation and conjecture on my part. But someone made the call and I'm certain they had their reasoning. What that reasoning was is anybody's guess.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
When they first went down last year (when I first signed up here) - there wasn't even coaching firing rumors or etc. It's just a case of bad planning/implementation/organization.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

When they first went down last year (when I first signed up here) - there wasn't even coaching firing rumors or etc. It's just a case of bad planning/implementation/organization.

But wasn't it reported this time that the close would be permanent? I mean from what I have gathered, this time it was planned to close it down for good.

Maybe I got it all wrong....

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
No problem. I don't really even know why I care to be honest. I can just see the possibility that they may not have wanted to actually pay for something that may not be flattering to the team.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I really can't see the subscription or whatever required to keep the Browns Chat up and running being maybe the cost of a single sold, nosebleed ticket at the stadium.

Either or, pathetic.

I'd guess that money wasn' t the issue but if it was, it's more than just simply paying for the URL and site development. You have ongoing costs to maintaiA"the site, update the site, I'm sure there is costs that I'm not aware of and then you have the staff to monitor it. (Not speaking of the Refs who I think were volunteers)

In the overall scheme of things, it's not even a hill of beans. I'm pretty sure money isn't what caused the demise of that board. JMO of course

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Im just wondering who footed the bill for the one [chatroom] that just shutdown?

The Cleveland Browns. I have no clue what it cost them but I would bet it cost them less to have that message board for 14 years than they pay out to the coaches they fired for one week..

GMdawg #855495 03/04/14 07:42 PM
Legend
Legend
I guarantee that the annual hosting fees for it were less than any individual in their media department makes in a week.
Money definitely was not a deciding factor in it being shut down. There is zero chance of that. My guess is that the new people in that department just didn't feel like dealing with it any longer. Additionally, I would suspect that given their prompting of folks to follow them on social media sites, I suspect that they just don't see or understand the value in a message board and they think that Facebook and Twitter are suitable substitutes for community building.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I guarantee that the annual hosting fees for it were less than any individual in their media department makes in a week.
Money definitely was not a deciding factor in it being shut down. There is zero chance of that. My guess is that the new people in that department just didn't feel like dealing with it any longer. Additionally, I would suspect that given their prompting of folks to follow them on social media sites, I suspect that they just don't see or understand the value in a message board and they think that Facebook and Twitter are suitable substitutes for community building.

I agree....Not only did it need moderation, but someone had to be moderating moderators to make sure they were moderating to some standard....which means reading every post.....or many

If a F Bomb got past you or one of your Mods....no real big deal here.....a oops......on the official site, it could be a big deal.

I understand why they decided to dump a message board.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Browns Chat room

Link Copied to Clipboard