Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Legend
Legend
Longest gruden clip i can find so far..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Maybe its just me, but I'm starting to warm up to the JM. One can't discredit his desire to win. I read the breakdown of the top 4 quarterbacks & when it game to describing JM, it was just a different class of excitement. Should we take the flyer is the thousand dollar question. Interesting to see this play out.

If I only knew then what I know today...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Longest gruden clip i can find so far..

I don't think you will get an argument from anyone that JM is an exciting player.. I just don't know how his game translates to the Pros.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
All Pro
All Pro
Johnny has been very quiet lately for Johnny. I hope they have a camera on him draft day, that will be interesting.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Johnny has been very quiet lately for Johnny. I hope they have a camera on him draft day, that will be interesting.

He has been quiet.. Not sure why. Maybe a few of his friends, parents or agents have said,,, SHUT UP JOHNNY LOL

Anyway, very talented kid. A whole lotta fun to watch.. Again, I just don't know if his game translates to the pros... When it comes to size, it's a question mark but then Brees and Wilson probably had some of the same question marks and both have won SB's

Go figure.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Browns GM Ray Farmer said he will not be at Johnny Manziel's pro day on Thursday. ‪#‎CLE‬

Legend
Legend
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Browns general manager Ray Farmer revealed at the NFL Annual Meeting on Monday morning that he won't attend quarterback Johnny Manziel's Pro Day Thursday at Texas A&M, and also defended the club's decision not to send key coaches to the Pro Days of other top quarterbacks.

"No, I will not (attend),'' said Farmer said in a sit down with Browns beat writers. "I will tell you that. I will not be going to Johnny Manziel's workout. There's definitely a schedule conflict, and definitely opportunities to talk to all parties that we may or may not be interested in. …A Pro Day of orchestrated throws, I don't know what that tells you. It's a piece of it that people blow up into this great thing. I went to a lot of games and practices this fall. I've seen them throw the ball.''

Farmer stressed that the Browns will get more out of working out their favorite players privately at their schools or near their hometowns. So far, Farmer has been spotted at the Pro Days for Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles, while coach Mike Pettine, offensive Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains have all skipped those sessions.

"We will have our opportunities to have private workouts,'' he said. "Being in charge of that workout is different than being at a Pro Day where it's orchestrated and scripted.''

He stressed that he loves to keep folks speculating on what the Browns are going to do with their No. 4 overall pick in the May draft.

"Right now the systems that we're using are based on keeping everybody in the dark,'' he said. "I like the idea of, the more we tell everybody, the more of a disadvantage we put ourselves at. The fact that people are guessing as to where we're going and where we've been, it's a good thing in the sense that when you're too visible about certain things, it becomes obvious, and obvious is not good for us.''

He cautioned, "I haven't been everywhere that people have reported that I've been. We're focused on creating on our own ideas and systems…No one really knows what we're doing. …There's this notion that we have to take a quarterback, that we have to do certain things. I would say be careful of the 'have-tos.' ''

As for taking a quarterback at No. 4, he said, "I'm not leaning in any direction.''

He also stressed that he'd be fine heading into the season with Brian Hoyer as his starter for 2014.

“I’m comfortable (with Hoyer),'' he said. "You’ve got to identify the guy that you think can do the role that you’re asking him to do. Once you do that, there’s a lot of guys that’ll come into any team this year as rookies and they’ll contribute.

"They’ll contribute in a big way. So here’s a guy that’s had NFL experience. He’s been in NFL camps. He has some tools to move forward with. The notion of experience is one that to me it can get overplayed. You have to identify truly what the young man is going to be asked to do and can he perform in that role. And if he can, don’t be afraid to move forward in that direction.”

Farmer addressed a number of other topics during his 22-minute interview:

• On Alex Mack waiting to sign his transition tender: "Alex is well within his rights to do the things that he thinks are necessary moving forward. We're still committed to making sure he's a long-term Brown and that's really our focus. …I'm very confident (it can happen). It's the continued interaction, the continued support, the continued vibe that we're giving Alex that will inevitably prevail.''

• On trading up or down in the draft: "I don't think it's ever too soon. Those conversations have already begun. It might be interesting. It's something to keep in the back of your mind, so some of those talks have already begun and I don't know if there's any definitives at the moment. ...I look at the draft as currency. A first-round pick, be it early, be it late, is probably worth five years of a good player at a relative number and same thing down the line. If you can package picks to get a better pick or a better player or somebody that you're targeting, those things should always be considered. I do think there's opportunities to move both up and back in the draft.

• On if the Browns are interested in free agent quarterback Mark Sanchez: “We’re interested in every player that can help us. So if the name is Mark Sanchez, you can apply that to Mark Sanchez. If the name is a different name, you can apply it to that to that person as well.”

* On adding quarterback Rex Grossman, who has a history with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan: “Every player that we look at will fit a need for us. I probably shouldn’t use the word need, but will fit a role. He’ll have a defined way to compete and to play in our offense and our defense. It’s really about driving competition. If we think that guy can come in and compete to be a quality starter, then, yeah, we’ll definitely be interested.”

• On Joe Haden's cryptic tweet Sunday night that "it's a crazy business,” which was apparently in response to a fake tweet that he had been traded to the Eagles: “We have no interest in getting rid of Joe Haden. That’ll make it simple. We have no interest in that at all. …. “We’re excited to try to keep Joe here for longer than today and tomorrow, but extended into the future.”

• On making a play for Matt Schaub: “Yeah, I think that it’s always interesting. Anybody that’s available you’ll discuss. When you get a chance to talk about any player in that regard, you consider it. The fact that he wasn’t on the open market and Houston traded him, those things never really materialized that way.”

• On not making an offer to T.J. Ward: “It’s not a slight on T.J. at all. We recognize his talents. We recognize he’s a good football player, and at the end of the day, there are other good football players. So when you have those conversations, sometimes it works in a way that’s positive for everybody and it works out, and sometimes it doesn’t.”

• On if he'll sign free agent Paul McQuistan and/or defensive end Alex Carrington, who visited last week: “I will remain silent on that for the moment, but we’ll see. We’ll see.”

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._medium=twitter

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
I like that he's at least out front about stuff like this. The media will turn this into a catastrophe, but I really think you should base draft decisions on private workouts, meetings, and game tape.

If the Browns draft one of these QB's, and he ends up being horrible or at least not starter quality, it won't be because they didn't go to his pro day.

The media is really stretching it, trying to keep irrelevant stories relevant.

Legend
Legend
LOL this guy is possibly the most tight lipped guy in his role I think I've ever seen.

he tells you stuff but really tells you nothing Cracks me up.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

LOL this guy is possibly the most tight lipped guy in his role I think I've ever seen.

he tells you stuff but really tells you nothing Cracks me up.

He's also secretly on the ballot as a tea party member for both Mayor of Berea and Governor of Ohio.

C
Legend
Legend
C

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

I just read the article about Manziel being a Big Bust...it was freaking Hoge...who has dipped pretty much out of sight and I would say DJ knows more about QBs than Hoge. I think he's looking to get his name in the lights again. doing one of these. so if he calls it he will gain notoriety like Mayock did with his Cutler claim.

Also another note as I read page one by mistake...

Dropping back one more yard can give the same effect of about 6 inches in height. So them who have a kid who is a short QB...like my kid. teach them how to drop back quick n deep. Montana has a good training video actually Walsh's video Montana demonstrating.

DA I remember his 3 step drop was a pitter patter of his giant feet and he didn't get back much at all. He had just as many batted down passes as a Drew Brees if not more.

Also we will be running that stretch zone so that we will probably have a moving pocket a lot and of course that famous naked reverse.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I went to the draft in 2010 and Merrill Hoge was having a Q&A before Day 2 started. He said when a Jaguars (who had just drafted Tyson Alualu at #10) fan asked who he thought the biggest reach of the 1st round was. Hoge said it was Tim Tebow.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Johnny Football is athletic

That rim looks like its 7ft.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I was thinking the same thing. But when he is standing under it it looks like his head is pretty far below it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. But when he is standing under it it looks like his head is pretty far below it.

Okay, eight feet then.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the article.

I like reading Farmer's responses to different questions. It's like he is really, really trying to be "tight lipped," but his answers to other questions belie his true intent.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

...there’s a lot of guys that’ll come into any team this year as rookies and they’ll contribute.

"They’ll contribute in a big way. So here’s a guy that’s had NFL experience. He’s been in NFL camps. He has some tools to move forward with. The notion of experience is one that to me it can get overplayed. You have to identify truly what the young man is going to be asked to do and can he perform in that role. And if he can, don’t be afraid to move forward in that direction.”

Red flag alert:

What he's basically saying here is: screw the AVG vets that have shown to not have high end ceiling. Instead, if you think a rook can become a high end player and has that ceiling, let him start 2-3 seasons to reach that ceiling, no matter what ("don't be afraid", as in taking and goind through the rookie lumps).

He's prospect happy, this pretty much made it official for me.

He also seems to not fill needs in FA in order to keep other teams guessing as to what he'd do in the draft

He has it all bass ackwards, the definition of outsmarting at work...

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
V
Legend
Legend
V
I hope you are wrong, but that is why I have always absolutely despised having the GM having the final say of the roster.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Johnny Manziel is the perfect QB to take at 4.

He's either going to succeed fantastically or fail fantastically. Highest ceiling. Lowest floor for a QB in the first three rounds.

I take him without question due to the value of a franchise changing guy at QB.

And he has the swagger and moxie to flip the script.

Take him and run.

Let it unfold.

Either we end up with a guy who can change our destiny or a failure.

Lets pick a guy next year then. There's quite a few top end guys.

I might flip our second first to next year. Or our second for a 2015 first. Just for ammo for the next year crop as a hedge.

Ok.

That's it.

I'm not really back. Just thought I'd add that to the conversation. Go Browns!

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Welcome back...............and I mean that, sincerely.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Thanks.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Welcome back Heldawg.

I agree that we should be going after a QB, every year if necessary, until we find the right guy.

If we don't have a franchise guy, then we need one. That said, we don't need to invest a top pick in every draft ...... but I would take a 1st round guy, backed up by a 3rd rounder the next year, then a 4th ..... and so on, until we find the right guy. We really have to get the QB spot right if we want to win.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

I think it's 10ft, and I wonder if Breese or Wilson can dunk?

GO BROWNS!
B
Legend
Legend
B
It looked every bit of regulation. We know manziel is just under 6 feet tall and that rin isn't 2 feet above his head. It looks every bit of 4 feet.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Brees had that great dunk in the game vs the Steelers last year.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hoge said it was Tim Tebow.

That was both TRUE and OBVIOUS...I don't think you had to be a QB Guru to get that one right

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm 5'10", and I used to be able to dunk. I had huge leg strength.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Quote:

...there’s a lot of guys that’ll come into any team this year as rookies and they’ll contribute.

Red flag alert:

What he's basically saying here is: screw the AVG vets that have shown to not have high end ceiling. Instead, if you think a rook can become a high end player and has that ceiling, let him start 2-3 seasons to reach that ceiling, no matter what ("don't be afraid", as in taking and goind through the rookie lumps).

He's prospect happy, this pretty much made it official for me.

He also seems to not fill needs in FA in order to keep other teams guessing as to what he'd do in the draft

He has it all bass ackwards, the definition of outsmarting at work...

Don't really see where your getting that from. Only thing I read was they dont value a veteran just because he a veteran which makes since to me after all they got to be able to perform.

Then he says yeah its ok to draft a guy and have him contribute right away IF you know he can fill a role. nothing about guaranteeing someone starts. he is already on record that the coach will decide that anyways.

His FA signings so far have been for need. He signs FA at needed positions so he can be positioned to draft BPA. Pay attention to the actions not the words. He already confessed he wants to keep everyone confused =)

I love what he is doing so far =)

Will I love his draft? Who knows =)

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A couple of years ago, I saw Brees jump from a dead standstill and dunk the football over the goal post. It was pretty impressive.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The thing about Manziel.. and I have said it before... I don't want him.. but I do. He could either totally change football, or become the worst draft choice ever.

The HC would have to develop an offence around him.. He is very much a boom and bust player.

I hate college football.. its boring... bubble after bubble... screen after screen. Yet Manziel made me want to watch it. He is a hug risk at 4... but with our history.. do we take it. Glad I am not Farmer or Pettine

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/most of that, other than hating college football.

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
part of me LOVES johnny football. he is a brand that we haven't had in cleveland since bernie retired. he does things his way and he doesn't care who he pisses off along the way.

that being said, his ceiling is one of the highest, but his floor could be a scary thing to watch un-ravel.

*gulp*

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
Legend
Legend
If your in to watching athletes perform amazingly, then it's hard not to like Manziel.. as a pure athlete, he's pretty much amazing.

Still not sure how it translates to the Pros...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Still not sure how it translates to the Pros....

Join the club.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Still not sure how it translates to the Pros....

Join the club.

I feel the same of the top three. About ready to just start hoping for a sure fire impact guy other than QB.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Who is a sure-fire impact guy?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Who is a sure-fire impact guy?

There, my friend lies the problem! Farmer and Pettine can have that one.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I don't think any player is ever sure-fire. Joe Thomas was close. Adrian Peterson was close. There are others, but I can't come up w/any right now.

What I'm saying is that I don't think we should pass on a QB because they aren't sure-fire. There probably is not a player in this draft who is sure-fire. I actually think Teddy would be one of the safer picks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would say Robinson and Mathews are sure fire 10 years and probowls in their future. Now the problem is you have Joe and are u willing to give up a #4 overall in a deep class to add a RT. How many years does Joe have left? he slipped a bit last year, is this an anomaly or a trend?

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Johnny Manziel (Yet Again)

Link Copied to Clipboard