Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

You're right, some of us don't live in Cleveland. I also live in a Cinci market and saw every game this that he played and every game for the past two years. Again, I don't see the love. The Bengals fans might like him, we loved Josh Cribbs. Doesn't mean either of them could play WR. Even though they don't run many 4 WR sets or very man 3 WR sets if he was good, he would have been playing. Instead, he didn't play. Both Mohammad Sanu and Marvin Jones had better years than him.

This is why I think it's a bad signing. Because it may make us think about not drafting a WR because we can play Little at two and Hawk at 3. That's my worst case scenario. The most likely thing we'll do is, draft a good WR then have Little at 3 and Hawk at 4. I have a problem with this because I'd much rather see Benji at 4 as he's done great so far (You could argue better than Hawk) and needs to play to learn the game. So my favorite scenario would see Hawk at 5th or 6th on the depth chart. And I think we really overpaid on that.

This doesn't make sense. Unless we drafted a slot receiver, the drafted receiver would move to 2 and Little would presumably move to 4 with Hawkins staying in the slot as #3.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

j/c
I don't want to get ahead of myself but given his contract and the fact that the Browns have been trying to get him on the roster for sometime; I think he'll get a lot of reps. He fills the roster slot of Bess but I think he gives a dimension to the offense not unlike McCluster, Austin and potentially Cooks. I'm not predicting anything just remarking on his style of play.

Welcome to Cleveland Andrew!

He'll get his reps, cause he'll take attention off Josh Gordon and etc. Bess got a decent amount of reps. No reason to think Hawkins won't either and I don't think he'll just be strictly in the slot. We'll see, either or I am sure Kyle is happy to have him to plug into his scheme!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

sorry I apologize.

He was nati's 4th receiver but seems to have great speed and can stop on a dime.

actually..

he was listed as their 7th WR not their 4th WR under other
http://www.bengals.com/team/depth-chart.html

WR1 AJ Green Brandon Tate Dane Sanzenbacher
WR2 Mohamed Sanu Marvin Jones Ryan Whalen
Other Andrew Hawkins

Yeah, but not really. Sanzenbacher had 80 snaps, Tate had 71, and Hawkins has 124 snaps. Not sure what Whalen's count was but I would guess it was less than any of the three.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agents-cincinnati-bengals/

Last edited by clevesteve; 03/18/14 07:34 PM.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

But a 1st string slot receiver.

Ball, this is why fans need to educate themselves. Hawkins was the #2/#3 guy before Marvin Jones. Sanu helps in the red zone. Why was Hawkins replaced? He doesn't fit Dalton's strength. Andy is not a strong arm QB taller and stronger guys fit his short game.

Hawkins is your speed guy. Andy is not going to out muscle DB's, but he will spread the field. He is perfect for Hoyer's quick game.

For those who state Hawkins is simply a 3rd or 4th receiver have not watched A.J.Green and Marvin Jones.

What I like about him is that he runs clean, crisp routes and he has pretty darn good hands. To go along with his speed too. He's fast!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Don't talk good about him Anarchy, he was their 7th receiver.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Maybe so. I still like the guy. Better than more than half of the receivers we had on the roster last year for the Browns.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have to say it. If you put Sammy Watkins in this offense it make every one of the receivers better. It also opens up the run game. All the game planning to stop Gordon, Jordan, Watkins and Hawkins won't allow for many 8 in-the-box fronts. just say'n.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
J/C

I envision Hawkins as our version of Harvin or Austin. A lot of screens, reverses, some work in the slot or streaking down the sideline. I don't think he is going to be a consistent contributor but will have some good games and provide the occasional big play. I am excited to see him in action and how Shanny will use him.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Most people would say that Little would be a solid slot receiver, myself included. He also seems to be a better WR than Hawkins. Only natural to assume that Little would move to 3 and Hawkins would move to 4.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I heavily disagree on all counts. I guess we'll jut have to leave it at that.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I brought this up as a clarifying point not to diminish his skill level.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

LOL at all the people bad mouthing those who question this move.

So, tell me.......................what has this guy actually ACCOMPLISHED to deserve that kind of money?

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
I don't think he has done anything yet to deserve that money, however, I applaud the front office for targeting the guy they wanted and putting a package together to get him. They had to do something Cinci wouldn't match. With 50+ in cap space why not? If he doesn't live up to the contract in 2 years they can release him with little cap ramification.

I think many on here are overblowing his potential and will be calling him a bust by week 6. I see him as a 50 for 500 with 5tds guy if he stays healthy. While his numbers wont blow people away I do think he could have a big impact in games if used properly.

Like I said earlier I love this kids back story and look forward to seeing him play in a Browns uni.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I hope you are right. He does have potential.

On the other hand, potential is an euphemism for not having done squat yet.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have to say it. If you put Sammy Watkins in this offense it make every one of the receivers better. It also opens up the run game. All the game planning to stop Gordon, Jordan, Watkins and Hawkins won't allow for many 8 in-the-box fronts. just say'n.

And you could substitute Watkins' name with that of Matthews, Robinson, Lee, Evans, Benjamin, Adam, Moncrief, et al and end up with the same result.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Yeah, but not really. Sanzenbacher had 80 snaps, Tate had 71, and Hawkins has 124 snaps. Not sure what Whalen's count was but I would guess it was less than any of the three.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agents-cincinnati-bengals/

Also, Hawkins had twice as many catches as Sanzenbacher in 2 less games, Tate only had 1 catch last year.

The only WRs with more catches than Hawkins were Green, Jones, and Sanu
link

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Also, Hawkins had twice as many catches as Sanzenbacher in 2 less games,

Twice as many catches translates into exactly how many catches?

And we paid him how much for this year and next?

Let me wonder about something............................exactly why were people hoping the Bengals wouldn't match?

Guys, don't get me wrong.............this guy shows some potential, but he hasn't done squat and that is a hefty contract. I'm just not feeling the love over this.

Legend
Legend
Lets discuss this in 2 years. By then we will know if this was a great move or a dumb move.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
I can only speak for myself but I saw the potential homerun threat and playmaker this team has sorely needed. Whether or not he lives up to the hype or contract, I doubt. I think there are going to be unrealistic expectations. I also have my doubts the coaching staff will use him efficiently.

I also think he brought something different the other options at slot didn't bring. He is more explosive than Edleman, and Sanders IMO and probably a cheaper option. That's why I was hoping Cinci wouldn't match.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like the guy but the contract was insane. I understand why we did it but damn, if they want to match it let them and just draft a receiver. Kid has mad skills but he has done nothing for the contract he received.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Is there a reason why everyone is ignoring the fact he was on early designation IR until 10/31/13? You all act like he played the full season. I'm not really defending him as I feel he has a lot to prove but he has enough of a sample size to see the obvious reason why we stole him away. You don't ignore data in a equation just to bash an acquisition. He was listed as 7th because he was on IR with the ability to come off in week 8.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Kid has mad skills but he has done nothing for the contract he received.

I think he was given that contract on 2 (possible) fronts:

1. potential (his highlight reel is pretty eye-opening)
2. role in the new Shanny O

My guess: he is supposed to be what Bess should have been- and there's always a spot for a guy like that. In a way, he's like Dansby and Whitner... replacements that SHOULD end up being better fits.

This would be an interesting way to look at his numbers: Compare his contract with the one given to Davonne Bess. Wait through much of the season, then compare his production to that of '13 Bess. I believe that process will determine his value as realistically as any other metric we could use.

just another .02, with a shrug of the shoulders...

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Only Browns fans can look at a free agent signing with a personal rain cloud hovering over their head.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
To me the point of free agency is to get players who are ascending in their careers. Not to overpay for production that they put up while playing somewhere else. Can't know definitely at this point if that's what we have here but that would be the objective.

Last edited by guard dawg; 03/18/14 11:16 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Only Browns fans can look at a free agent signing with a personal rain cloud hovering over their head.

Maaaaan- it's been a looooong and bumpy road. I really think it's gonna take at least 2 or 3 years of reasonable success to blow some of these clouds outta here-

It's funny- this is the first thread I came to after having a PM exchange with another DT bud. Completely different Browns subject. The big issue: offseason uncertainty, and how unsettling it can be. His last line was: "I am Pavlov's Dawg."

My first line: "Ain't we all, to a certain degree?"

Gad, I can't wait 'til we each get to kick our personal clouds to the curb....

Legend
Legend
Oh no Clem one year of 9-7 and it will be all sunshine and roses around here and many folks claiming a super bowl victory

Legend
Legend

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Oh no Clem one year of 9-7 and it will be all sunshine and roses around here and many folks claiming a super bowl victory

It might be everyone. 2-4 against division rivals gets us that already

Legend
Legend
As long as those two wins are against the Steelers then I'm all in buddy

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Times Up....

Looks like he is officially a Brown

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/106289...tch-offer-sheet

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Also, Hawkins had twice as many catches as Sanzenbacher in 2 less games,

Twice as many catches translates into exactly how many catches?

And we paid him how much for this year and next?

Let me wonder about something............................exactly why were people hoping the Bengals wouldn't match?

Guys, don't get me wrong.............this guy shows some potential, but he hasn't done squat and that is a hefty contract. I'm just not feeling the love over this.

Maybe you're right. Perhaps this was a bad signing. Every GM makes them. Every move by Ozzy isn't golden. He's made some bad draft picks and some bad FA signings over the years. Bobby Beathard built Super Bowl teams. He also made some horrible moves occasionally. All we can do is hope Hawkins really comes on here in Cleveland. And if not, we cut him and move on. I wanted us to make a run at James Jones. He still has some tread left and he knows our offense(so does Hawkins and that may be why we signed him). But it's their show. We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out on the field.

I'll say this, the kid has to have a SERIOUS work ethic. Undrafted and unwanted he WORKED his way into the NFL. It wasn't just handed to him like some of these kids. Now, that doesn't mean he will succeed here. But I like the fact the guy will work his ass off in the attempt. The rest will either happen, or it won't. Peace

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I like the guy but the contract was insane. I understand why we did it but damn, if they want to match it let them and just draft a receiver. Kid has mad skills but he has done nothing for the contract he received.

Again, you guys need to forget the contracts for a while until the "new" numbers start to sink in. Teams have ever increasing cap space and they have to spend on average 89% of that space.

This is basically the first year that teams have had to start freeing up the money to meet the 89%.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2nd String
2nd String
jc

If he catches half the balls thrown at him he is already 100% better the Little and Bess. Time will tell if this was a good move. Not caring about the money he got paid, it wasn't mine.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c
contract - all I've heard before FA started was how much cap space we had and why not USE IT.

Insane if you are going to compare it on his stats and reps of the past.
Great if you are going to compare his film - his route running, his good hands and his YAC he will probably be a guy teams will have game plan add Tate, Gordon n Cameron. It a big plus.
Insane if he reaches his potential and then we are at the last two years of the contract Insane as in a bargain.

I also like the way a lot of dawgs here Assume we are going to draft a #2 WR. putting Hawkins at 4 Little at 4. I'll tell you what if we are going to be a run team Little being out there the first two downs is a big plus. When we get into WR 3 n 4 plus Cameron call Little whatever you want. I'm not saying we got to sign the kid to an extension but he is not horrible.

So the witching hour passed I can only assume with all the negative posts...he must be a Brown now...lol I like the signing and we are way ahead of the game compared with who he is replacing. Bess who appeared to be a good signing from his stats last year.

jmho...a + for us

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Regardless of contract, we should be better today than we were yesterday.
Isn't that the goal of free agency?
We have a few ankle breakers now adding Hawkins with Dion Lewis. Benji is a good luxury to let loose on special teams.

If I only knew then what I know today...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
when you cant complian about the player, complain about the contract.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ha,, there will still be a few that think everything is wrong and they could do it better LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

j/c:

LOL at all the people bad mouthing those who question this move.

So, tell me.......................what has this guy actually ACCOMPLISHED to deserve that kind of money?

He hasn't necessarily but they had to construct a deal the Bengals couldn't match and we have massive amounts of cap space.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

when you cant complian about the player, complain about the contract.

A lot of that going around.

The funny thing, with so much cap space, what does it even matter?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Lets discuss this in 2 years. By then we will know if this was a great move or a dumb move.

This sums it up. Can't believe the people already throwing him under the bus because of the contract he was given. Bess was signed to a three year extension of 11mil contract with almost 6mil guaranteed. Who'd you people rather have, Hawkins or Bess? Do I even need to ask that question? Beside there was offset language or additional language that allowed us to part ways with Bess without hurting the team, don't you think there is some additional language in Hawkins as' well if he doesn't produce cause yes, i agree, he doesn't have an abundance of tape/film to warrant that type of contract.

We replaced a piece of crap mental with a could-be gem for almost the same prices, yet that is a horrible move you people are already condemning/damning? makes about ZERO sense!

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign WR Andrew Hawkins

Link Copied to Clipboard