Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#865446 03/22/14 09:18 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Back on topic...

If you look at the video, Carr has terrible footwork. I don't know if that can be fixed, but his success in the NFL will be based on the coaching that he receives to address his footwork.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

#865447 03/22/14 09:32 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Couch arguments = nothing new to talk about

Razorthorns #865448 03/23/14 08:11 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is the thing...........people blame the OL for Couch getting beat up, but the guy held the ball for longer than any QB in the league. I used to time him and it was incredible how many times he held it for over 4 seconds. You simply cannot do that in the NFL. He held it so long because he could not read coverages. Other times, he played scared and checked down too fast.

The elder Carr did the same thing. Weeden did the same thing.

My point is that the younger Carr will do the same thing. Others get blamed for their incompetence. It divides the locker room. It gets coaches fired. Teams keep playing these guys because they were first round picks, but it almost guarantees losing.

Another thing, Timid's arm was crap because of his poor mechanics and not from "taking a beating."

Oh..............and I am not hating on any poster. I am talking about players, so please leave the personal attacks out of the conversation.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Here is the thing...........people blame the OL for Couch getting beat up, but the guy held the ball for longer than any QB in the league. I used to time him and it was incredible how many times he held it for over 4 seconds. You simply cannot do that in the NFL. He held it so long because he could not read coverages. Other times, he played scared and checked down too fast.

The elder Carr did the same thing. Weeden did the same thing.

My point is that the younger Carr will do the same thing. Others get blamed for their incompetence. It divides the locker room. It gets coaches fired. Teams keep playing these guys because they were first round picks, but it almost guarantees losing.

Another thing, Timid's arm was crap because of his poor mechanics and not from "taking a beating."

Oh..............and I am not hating on any poster. I am talking about players, so please leave the personal attacks out of the conversation.

Farve held the ball to long and Rothelisberger holds the ball to long. Couch's arm was fine until he got beat down. Are you saying all 20 previous QBs sucked? Only thing in common was bad line play.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Sure he held the ball long the few times he had the chance,because our crap for WR could not get open for a hill of beans. How many of those great WRs had a career once they left the Browns? NONE. Lets be honest here though. He was hit so often after just 2 seconds it was a running joke. I can't even count the times that soon as he snapped the ball he was dodging his own falling offensive linemen.

His arm was plenty strong when we drafted him. He had no problem at all going deep. Matter of fact the encouraged him to.(not saying that was great coaching either) It's also a fact that his throwing shoulder was hurt multiple times from getting nailed. He was bar none THE toughest QB we have ever had and he didn't whine or cry about it till our piece of crap fans embarrassed all the real fans by cheering when he got hurt.

I'd take a player like Couch all day, any day with the talent we have now. With him starting you always knew you had at least a chance to come back and win the game. None of the QB's since have made you feel that way since, except maybe Hoyer and not enough games to know about him yet. That is before Couch got ruined by the Browns. He was the ONLY reason we had any chance at a winning season at all.

You say your not hating but you call him a coward and timid. Neither of which are even remotely true. He might have been a little timid that last season but I think that is because he was suffering from PTSD(shell shock) from being the most most sacked QB in football. Couch was not like that when we drafted him. It's same thing happened to Frye. Frye was fearless when he came here. Then he got the happy feet after getting beat down so bad. Then the fear got a hold of him and he couldn't make quick decisions anymore from the pressure of feeling like he is going to get hit at any time.

This is why I say it over and over and over again. There is no point in drafting a top tier QB until you have an offensive line that can keep him protected. It's not just our history that shows that. It proves true over and over again all across the league. Once a QB can trust that he will have 3 seconds to throw the ball and they have been coached to get rid of the ball by 3 seconds they will blossum into the best they can be. This is why Farmer wants that intelligent fast thinking QB.

Who cares if a QB can throw 60 yards in the air? 90% of all passes are under 20 yards because even if the WR is great most o-lines can't protect long enough for a WR to get open that far downfield anyways. 3 seconds that's what a good offensive line buys a QB sometimes more. How far can a receiver run in 3 seconds especially if the get jammed at the line even once. 20-30 yards at best. If the QB throws with perfect anticipation he can least that WR by a second and give him 4 seconds to get under the ball. Thus the only reason why 40 times are recorded. To see if in a perfect scenario if they can get 40 yards down the field. What should really matter is how fast they can run a 10 and 20 yard route. This is why Hawkins that we signed from the Bengals is exciting because he is great at getting open at under 20 yards. Watkins also runs ankle breakers at times. Man I would love it if we drafted him. Hoyer will have a field day.

If we end up with Carr(I am no fan) Watkins and drafting a Couple of BIG guards and or OT is the best way to get the most from him. Same if we draft my guy Jimmy G. Both have gotten used to poor o-line play and will need a year playing behind a new line they can trust and have their confidence built up to play at their best.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
The best example of this was Charlie Frye in 2007. Everyone said that the OL sucked because Frye was sacked all the time, and was getting destroyed in the pocket. He would run and get sacked. He seemingly just couldn't catch a break.

Except to those paying attention.

He ran himself into as much trouble as he ran out of. He had wheels, but would try to run instead of taking a single step up into the pocket. He had zero awareness of what was going on around him.

In the 1st game of the 2007 season, Frye played a little over a quarter and a half, He went 4-10 for 34 yards, with 5 sacks and and INT.

DA then took over, and Frye was dumped the next week. DA was sacked 14 times for the entire season.

Yep ..... Frye was sacked 5 times in 15 times dropping back.. DA was sacked 14 times in 541 times dropping back.

Yep, the line sucked, until we got a QB who could see and understand what was happening before the snap. DA wasn't perfect, but he sure made a fallacy of the whining by some of how the OL stunk. It was such a stark comparison. Frye was the mobile guy, with "escapability", while DA understood how to get the ball out quickly, and how to take a single step to escape pressure.

Who was that poster who swore that Frye was going to be the next great QB under Holmgren in Seattle? lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

The best example of this was Charlie Frye in 2007. Everyone said that the OL sucked because Frye was sacked all the time, and was getting destroyed in the pocket. He would run and get sacked. He seemingly just couldn't catch a break.

Except to those paying attention.

He ran himself into as much trouble as he ran out of. He had wheels, but would try to run instead of taking a single step up into the pocket. He had zero awareness of what was going on around him.

In the 1st game of the 2007 season, Frye played a little over a quarter and a half, He went 4-10 for 34 yards, with 5 sacks and and INT.

DA then took over, and Frye was dumped the next week. DA was sacked 14 times for the entire season.

Yep ..... Frye was sacked 5 times in 15 times dropping back.. DA was sacked 14 times in 541 times dropping back.

Yep, the line sucked, until we got a QB who could see and understand what was happening before the snap. DA wasn't perfect, but he sure made a fallacy of the whining by some of how the OL stunk. It was such a stark comparison. Frye was the mobile guy, with "escapability", while DA understood how to get the ball out quickly, and how to take a single step to escape pressure.

Who was that poster who swore that Frye was going to be the next great QB under Holmgren in Seattle? lol

I already explained how Frye got ruined. Yeah, he was horrible by the time we got done with him. He didn't start out that way. Joe Thomas came along too late for him. he was a QB prospect that should have come along slowly. Not been thrown to the wolves his first season just because Dilfer sucked so bad.

DA only did good when he didn't care and had no pressure to deal with. Soon as he had to deal with pressure and something was expected of him he crumbled. You gotta let a gunslinger sling it not try to make him over think it. Several of the games he "won" were won in spite of him, although when he was relaxed I felt he played a much better game.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Razorthorns #865453 03/24/14 12:10 PM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Mour (or other Carr lovers) - what am I missing?

I've only watched two full Carr games (one was USC, where he was overmatched) -- but what should I be watching for that tells me Carr is a legit NFL QB?

I usually trust most people's opinions on this board (at least, relating to football) - but I'm not seeing it. He does throw a really nice back-shoulder pass. That throw is at NFL quality.

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 03/24/14 12:10 PM.

~Lyuokdea
Mourgrym #865454 03/24/14 02:00 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

really hurt yourself trying roll yourself into a ball to kiss your own ass.

This is going into my Dawgtalkers quote HOF.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
crazyotto55 #865455 03/25/14 08:07 PM
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
ahh, 2014 and still debating the tim couch era in cleveland... that's about right...

couch was surrounded with CRAP during his time in cleveland. that is almost undeniable. no running game, no te's and a couple of 5-10 wr's to throw to.

that being said, he was CLUELESS in the pocket and never stepped up. he was always fading back and throwing off of his back foot. he waited to throw until he saw a guy break wide open and when that didn't happen, he'd throw a check down pass.

so in conclusion, was his surrounding talent bad? heck yes!

was he even worse? heck yes!

we should have taken the saints deal and ran all the way to the bank!

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
kj85 #865456 03/25/14 08:10 PM
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
oh, and i wouldn't touch derek carr with a ten-foot pole.

he is a player from a weak conference that wilted in the big games against real competition. that is just FACT.

i'm relieved that bridgewater flunked his pro day, because that just increases the odds that he'll be around at #4.

he is a GAMER that elevated those around him. and he look less than stellar in bad weather games? heck yes! but guess what; he found a way to win a majority of them (example, the game at cincinnati this past year).

the kid is a WINNER, a GAMER and a FOOTBALL JUNKIE. reminds me of another kid from the state of florida who was a special player here.......

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
kj85 #865457 03/25/14 08:12 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

reminds me of another kid from the state of florida who was a special player here.......

Gerard Warren?

cfrs15 #865458 03/25/14 08:14 PM
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

Quote:

reminds me of another kid from the state of florida who was a special player here.......

Gerard Warren?

LOL okay, so bernie was from ohio, but i was referencing his college days that the U.

G-Money was fun while he was here; never forget that hit he put on brunell.

kj85 #865459 03/28/14 10:39 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Browns to hold private workout with Carr on Monday

Quote:

"I think he's the best natural thrower as far as arm strength and when you're just looking at the guy, natural thrower, in the draft,'' said Pettine. "(He's) very physically gifted. And a lot of times it's hard to bet against the family history as well. You're talking about like a Jake Matthews that it's the old 'don't bet against the genetics.' I think he certainly falls into that category as well.''

Dawg_LB #865460 03/28/14 01:00 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Smoke screen? Too much praise for a guy that so much would be perception of where he would be available and who wants him. cause deals to move up and back are made according to those perceptions as in - had to move to 24 cause we knew the Browns would take him at 26...things like that.

jmho...looks like a movie in the 1940's with everyone blowing smoke everywhere!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #865461 03/28/14 03:04 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Hoping this is smoke...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
OldColdDawg #865462 03/28/14 03:27 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Hoping this is smoke...

Browns are visiting Carr for a work out on Monday

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/03/derek_carrs_cleveland_browns_p.html

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg_LB #865463 03/28/14 03:28 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I will not be happy if we draft Derek Carr with the 26th pick. I will be furious if we draft him 4th overall.

Damanshot #865464 03/28/14 05:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Quote:

Hoping this is smoke...

Browns are visiting Carr for a work out on Monday

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/03/derek_carrs_cleveland_browns_p.html

I was just gonna post ^that,^ but now I guess I'm not! lol

#865465 03/28/14 09:24 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

Just wondering, do most that don't like him, do it because of his brother? IMO, his brother got the same beating Couch did. And even if they were not as good as advertised, taking the beating they both did can really ruin a guy.

#gmstrong
E.Ryze19 #865466 03/28/14 09:37 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't like Carr because just like his brother and Timid, they all can't read coverages, hold the ball too long or check down too quickly, and play scared. You can't win w/guys like that.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have read many places that he has happy feet, and folds under pressure. To me that is all I need to say no. We've been down that road too many times. IMO, if Weeden could have handled pressure, he could have been good. But QBs that get nervous fail more than most.

Too many of these college QBs look good until they get a NFL pass rush in their face. If he shows signs of failing under pressure in the college ranks, I want no part of him. It should be red flag number one.

#gmstrong
E.Ryze19 #865468 03/28/14 10:34 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looking like Carr may be the first QB off the board both the Jags and Raiders appear to be in love with the guy. vikings have been hot on him as well. I think the report on the Browns wanting Carr instead of Manziel was smoke to cover up the fact that Haslam loves Johny Football and he needs Johny football to energize a fan base that believes he is nothing but a turd in a toupee.

E.Ryze19 #865469 03/28/14 11:49 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Too many of these college QBs look good until they get a NFL pass rush in their face. If he shows signs of failing under pressure in the college ranks, I want no part of him. It should be red flag number one.

This is my issue with Carr. I've watched some youtubes with all of his passes from this past season. The one thing I saw, he plays in a one read spread-type offense. Most of his throws are bubble screens.

He's got a great arm, but you can't tell how he'll react to pressure and if he can go through reads under pressure or with time

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
eotab #865470 03/29/14 01:29 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Smoke screen? Too much praise for a guy that so much would be perception of where he would be available and who wants him. cause deals to move up and back are made according to those perceptions as in - had to move to 24 cause we knew the Browns would take him at 26...things like that.

jmho...looks like a movie in the 1940's with everyone blowing smoke everywhere!

Too much praise? That much about him I think is obvious... Except he's not a Hollywood turd like his brother.

clevesteve #865471 03/29/14 01:55 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think Carr has loads of talent. I don't think this talent is over hyped at all.

The issue with Carr is his mental toughness. I don't think he has much.

He could still be a good NFL QB but he will need a better offensive line than what we currently have.

I could honestly see a QB not even being taken in the top 15 if teams decide the first tier QB's are not that much greater than the second tier.

All I know is that I like Bridgewater, Jimmy G, and Manziel. I have no worries or concerns if we take Manziel at 26. I think he is worth taking a shot with. I'd even then still take Jimmy G with the next pick. I see nothing wrong with drafting a pair of good QB's and letting them sit behind Hoyer a year or two.

Don't get me wrong I still think Manziel is a high risk, high reward draft pick. But I just like his moxie. Same reason I liked Frye back when we drafted him. His proday gave me reason to have hope he can be a good pocket passer like Vers was saying. I still wouldn't take him at #4 though. If we also traded down and then picked him up I would not be adverse to that either.

Razorthorns #865472 03/29/14 10:46 PM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
If body language means anything, he'd be a 6th round pick...looked horrible in the Gruden 1-on-1

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
wojo_dew #865473 03/30/14 03:52 PM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Just clicking.....

I am not against Carr at all...he has deficiencies just like every QB in this draft....but the excuses I am hearing in here are a bit ridiculous......afraid to get hit??? Can't read defenses??? Labeling him with his brother's career before he is even drafted......footwork is horrible...outmatched by USC.....only saw 2 games and didn't impress me........did I miss any??? Probably....

Anyway, lets look at a couple things...some say they only saw a game or two...well if you only saw Tom Brady when we thouroughly confused him, and put a lot of pressure on him.....and a small rookie qb in his second game completed a 34 to 10 win for the Browns.....well if that was the only game you saw Brady play....wouldn't you have said he sucked??? OK...what if you saw Brady's entire college career...wouldn't you have said he sucked??? LOL

What I am trying to say is that there is far more that goes into someone not looking good for a game.....I think a greater body of work is needed.....

Can't read defenses??? Leading the NCAA in yardage and 50 TD's says differently. He read the defenses as they were towards his offensive system....plain and simple....most of those plays I saw in the highlights were not broken plays where everthing breaks down and he gets a little lucky.....no he hits his guy as the system warrants and he got a crap load of tds

Afraid to get hit??? Really??? Do we have to look at this whatsoever.......

Let me tell you what I saw in those different videos.......

First....what I liked was that they showed throws to people under good coverage. Most of these highlights show throws bombs to guys withiut anyone around them for 5 to 10 yards.....Big Deal.....whether the correct decision was made on who to throw to....well it can't be determined in these types of films...you don't have any real idea of whst the coverage showed pre snap or just after where the main decidions are made....but what I saw was a guy who delivered on time to places where his man could make a play.

Next I saw a lot of the physical attributes.....anyone should desire these in a QB....they have been talked about...no need to bring them up here....

I did see things that need to be corrected....granted...it was a SMALL sample....but I want a better pocket presence.....more steps UP into the pocket and less throwing off the back foot. If you don't think NFL QB's do this...including top guys....then you haven't been watching games....but a major difference is when they do this and how often.

Now it may look that I am some Carr pimp....that is not the case.....would I be upset if we drafted him....as long as they plan to sit him a year or better yet two before giving serious considerations to challenging for the starting position.....nope wouldn't be upset at all........I do find it intersting that the one scouting video we are taking many negatives from was made before his last college season....

However.....this does not mean I am PUSHING for him....Personally, if he is still there at 26.....I would consider him....depending on who else is still on the board.....

I really dont care either way as far as Carr is concerned.....I like the kid better than a Manziel and he has advantages over each of the top three....but then again they have advantages as well which is why they are top 3...The point I did want to make is that some of the negatives being looked are mostly point in time issues....looking at microcosms and turning them into things far bigger than they are......and it isn'just wth Carr...it is the season for this silliness....I can't wait for this draft to be over so everyone can . and moan over how much they Hate the picks.......but will root for them because they are Browns.....

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
PETE314 #865474 03/30/14 04:17 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Happy feet... he breaks down under pressure. Until someone fixes that, he will be a liability at QB.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

WooferDawg #865475 03/30/14 04:34 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Happy feet... he breaks down under pressure. Until someone fixes that, he will be a liability at QB.

Far as I know there is no way to fix it in today's nfl. In the old NFL the way to fix it it to make the QB practice throwing the ball while getting hit. You have to do it to him enough to break his fear or flight response. Takes an almost suicidal do or die attitude. Farve had it to spare. Peyten has it. Brady has a little of it though he still crumples a bit.

The only other choice is to build the best offensive line in the game. That one is possible for us. But few front offices have the courage to do it because it takes time and doesn't look sexy enough to the fans.

Give Jimmy G an avg of three seconds and he will carves defense up =)

WooferDawg #865476 03/30/14 06:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Lots of complaints/negatives about Carr posted here on this thread. For someone who doesn't follow college football... Well? He just doesn't sound too good....

#865477 03/30/14 06:21 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Carr is "ranked higher" than Jimmy G, but takes way more flak than JG. Does he get the higher ranking because of potential? physical attribues? or what? I have no pretension to recognizing the technical merits of any QB, only an appreciation of the end result.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
bbrowns32 #865478 03/30/14 06:27 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

j/c

Carr is "ranked higher" than Jimmy G, but takes way more flak than JG. Does he get the higher ranking because of potential? physical attribues? or what? I have no pretension to recognizing the technical merits of any QB, only an appreciation of the end result.

He just has a stronger arm and comes from a bigger school. Jimmy G is more of an unknown because of the school he comes from. It's a valid complaint. Jimmy is still my favorite QB in this draft though.

WooferDawg #865479 03/30/14 08:52 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
j/c

I wish Derek Carr didn't play in a crap system. It's tough to tell if he does panic under pressure or if he's always supposed to get the ball out quick and he just has a crap offensive line...IDK.

His arm is pretty incredible. I can see the attraction. I just wish I had a better look at him in a legitimate system.

you had a good run Hank.
PETE314 #865480 03/30/14 09:28 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Can't read defenses??? Leading the NCAA in yardage and 50 TD's says differently.

I think that is BS!

We can all think what we want and I am not saying you should not think that, but I think it is a load of horse crap.

The guy throws a ton of bubble screens. He plays in a gimmciky offense against teams that have terrible defenses. His team is way better than most of the teams he plays. He is a one read qb. He is a sissy in the pocket. Even in the Senior Bowl game, he checked down on an easy TD that was called by the coaches.

I wouldn't draft this guy w/a the 7th round pick. I would not even sign him as a FA. He is a puss. No use for a guy like that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Derek Carr on his private workout with the Cleveland Browns: "It went exactly how we wanted it to'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/03/derek_carr_on_his_private_work.html

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
on March 31, 2014 at 10:47 PM, updated March 31, 2014 at 11:00 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr, who's high on the Browns' list with their No. 4 pick in the draft, raved about his private workout Monday afternoon with the Browns' key decision-makers.

It was believed to be the first of many private quarterback workouts the Browns will conduct over the next several weeks, including those with Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles.

Carr (6-2, 214) had dinner Sunday night with Browns general manager Ray Farmer, coach Mike Pettine, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, and quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains, then treated them to a display of his strong arm and pinpoint passing on Monday afternoon at Fresno State.

"They were all out here, so it was good to be able to go to dinner with them last night and work out for them today,'' Carr told Gil Brandt and Alex Marvez on Sirius XM's Late Hits. "Everything went great. It went exactly how we wanted it to and now of course, we just wait until May and see how they're feeling.''

Carr provided details of the workout, which was conducted by Shanahan.

"Coach Shanahan, he really kind of ran the workout,'' said Carr. "Everyone was standing there and talking of course, giving their input on things they wanted to see. We do their drills, and they really want to tire you out, see how you're feeling, really grind you a little bit. And then you go into throwing routes while you're tired, like a football game. After all that, you do some bootlegs and they want to see how you move on the run when you're tired. Then we do some reads that we have, then they say, 'if you want to see anything else, we'll show you whatever you want to see to make you feel comfortable.

"That's one thing: I want every team to feel they got to see everything they wanted when they leave Fresno, so it was a great experience.”

Carr, the younger brother of former No. 1 overall pick David Carr, said the Browns put on his college game film asked his thinking on several plays.

“Absolutely,” Carr answered. “Some teams – I won’t get into who -- give you some of their information and they want you to learn their stuff and then they turn the cut-ups on and say 'okay, where would you throw the ball based on the mini-playbook that we gave you?’ They test you in so many different ways and rightfully so. They should, especially when they’re looking to draft a franchise quarterback. You should take every possible precaution and strategy that you can to see what these guys know about football.”

But Carr didn't have to try to hard to sell the Browns, who've made it clear that drafting a quarterback somewhere -- they have the No. 4, No. 26 and No. 35 picks -- is a high priority. Even before the first forkful of dinner on Sunday night, they were impressed.

"I think he's the best natural thrower as far as arm strength in the draft,'' Pettine said at the NFL Annual Meeting last week. "(He's) very physically-gifted. And a lot of times it's hard to bet against the family history as well. You're talking about like a Jake Matthews (where) it's the old 'don't bet against the genetics.' I think he certainly falls into that category as well.''

Carr, who led the nation in 2013 with 5,085 yards and 50 touchdowns, will also most likely come to Cleveland over the next month for a pre-draft visit.

Question is, will it go exactly how he wants it to on draft day May 8th?

(end)

#865482 04/01/14 10:39 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

"Coach Shanahan, he really kind of ran the workout,'' said Carr. "Everyone was standing there and talking of course, giving their input on things they wanted to see. We do their drills, and they really want to tire you out, see how you're feeling, really grind you a little bit. And then you go into throwing routes while you're tired, like a football game. After all that, you do some bootlegs and they want to see how you move on the run when you're tired. Then we do some reads that we have, then they say, 'if you want to see anything else, we'll show you whatever you want to see to make you feel comfortable.

So Kyle ran the show huh? I guess that is typical that the offensive coordinator does that or is it just because Pettine is a defensive minded guy?

Dawg_LB #865483 04/01/14 11:22 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So Kyle ran the show huh? I guess that is typical that the offensive coordinator does that or is it just because Pettine is a defensive minded guy?

Just take it at face value. Kyle is the guy that is running the Offense, I'd expect him to take the lead on the coaching staff when it comes to assessing a QB. Now, if Pettine runs the show for any Defensive guy they are considering, they we have something to talk about. But that's JMO

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Couldn't we point the same finger at Garcia? What some people are pounding QB's for, specifically holding the ball too long, other folks idolize the same players for ability "to keep the play alive" and "extending the play." Just win, baby. Get this done. Carr seems to feel good. And he didn't have a single "flipper moment" under pressure.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Bard Dawg #865485 04/01/14 06:33 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
J/c...outside of some obvious guys coming out of college. Payton, Luck and a rare few.

Its hard to take any criticism or praise to the bank - whether its happy feet, btw just what are happy feet...lol or he hit all his passes. All I know is this. Farmer went out and saw all these guys play and practice during the week - usually before n during big games. He was to make the report to Lombardi and Banner as they entrusted this important task to him.

Well he, Pettine as well as Shanahan are checking out all the QBs up close and personal after their review during the past year. See what they have learned how they react to the chalk board, how they react just out with them to dinner. Get a feel.

If after all that they choose Carr. I for one will give him his 3 years before evaluating how he'll be in the NFL. What I also know is that unlike Couch, this team is ready to have a QB - we got the OL not to physically damage him. We have a good underbelly of the pocket which regardless how you felt about Couch...He never had that - he could hardly ever finish a throw with a follow through. We have legitimate weapons and some good talent on the defense where if mistakes happen it not the end. We also have a good Bridge QB not to rush the QB so he will learn, and I can care less where he is taken. I'd like to see him sit...the longer the better cause that means Hoyer is winning. If we are like 1-6 its highly likely the era will begin. I don't wish it to start that quickly.

So if its Carr so be it. I saw him play ONE GAME, I didn't like what I saw - it was mostly dink n dunk. But its just one game.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Carr lovers

Link Copied to Clipboard