Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Clearer.

Give me Bridgewater, We need someone with some semblance of a BRAIN under center.

Kyle Fuller at CB finishes the secondary.

Mathews or Beckham finishes the weapons on offense.

Borland ILB and an OG finishes everything else after we match this Mack offer sheet.

This is a playoff team when we have a QB that can actually convert a 3rd and 5 cause he can actually HIT someone.

D
Legend
Legend
D
With the signing being a one year deal, it seems like nothing but a band-aide signing. There's no promise that Nate will even still be on the team come regular season if he gets beat out by younger, cheaper player(s) that also will contribute on special teams.

Given Nate and Little contracts are up at the end of the season and likely neither of them will be extended - I still think the front office should have WR as one of the top priorities in the draft. Finding someone that can beat out a 32 year and 24 year old who can't catch shouldn't be an awfully hard task if all this "this is a rich WR class" talk is true. Snag one up at either #4 or #26.

jmo

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree with drafting a wideout, and think we will, though I wouldn't be surprised if we do it later in the draft....lot's of ways this can go.

Just me speaking here, but I'd put a wide out as a lower priority then I would a QB, CB,OL,ILB....just my opinion.

That said, I think there is a good chance we take Watkins at #1, and it wouldn't bother me though I might shrug my shoulders a bit. By all accounts there are quality receivers 3-4 rounds deep in this draft, and we are looking for a #2 receiver. It's not like we are void of a top notch player at the position. If we didn't have Gordon, I'd be hard pressed to not take Watkins if he was there.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Burleson is the veteran presence for the wr room.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Possibly we are signing him to help young WRs like Greg Little to get better learn yet again another new offense after all I don't think we had that Vet Leadership unless you wish to count that great leadership given to out WRs from Devon Bess.

I don't think we brought him here to be the #2 more veteran leadership to a relatively young WR corp.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

I agree with drafting a wideout, and think we will, though I wouldn't be surprised if we do it later in the draft....lot's of ways this can go.

Just me speaking here, but I'd put a wide out as a lower priority then I would a QB, CB,OL,ILB....just my opinion.

That said, I think there is a good chance we take Watkins at #1, and it wouldn't bother me though I might shrug my shoulders a bit. By all accounts there are quality receivers 3-4 rounds deep in this draft, and we are looking for a #2 receiver. It's not like we are void of a top notch player at the position. If we didn't have Gordon, I'd be hard pressed to not take Watkins if he was there.

This ^

But for me, no QB at #4...no matter who is sitting there.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't think it eliminates Watkins at all.

I agree with this in the sense that none of the FA signings eliminate any potential draft pick. As to whether Sammy is a serious consideration at #4 or not? That's a completely different question. My speculation is that Clowney, their top QB and possibly Mack have to all be off the board before he even enters the sphere of consideration. Further, I will be shocked if we draft him in any scenario. I don't see us taking a receiver in the first round at all unless we trade down for Mike Evans or possibly, remotely possibly, take one at 26. With needs at QB, ILB, CB & OG and the dept at WR in this draft, taking one in the first seems highly unlikely to me. If we were to take one in the first at all, I pray it would be Evans.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Burleson is the veteran presence for the wr room.

Anyone who has seen Burleson on the Rich Eisen network knows that he is smart. He is intelligent and a positive person. Plus, if he will break his arm to save a pizza maybe he can show players how to extend out for balls across the middle!

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I hope u r wrong about about greg little he stinks he cant block,run routes,and certainly cant catch y is he even on any team let alone our BROWNS

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I hope u r wrong about about greg little he stinks he cant block,run routes,and certainly cant catch y is he even on any team let alone our BROWNS

Let's be fair, he blocks well for a WR.

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

I will destroy you.

Legend
Legend

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Let's be fair, he blocks well for a WR.

He also seems to be where the QB expects him to be. He's a hard working guy, committed to improving himself. He has very good size,strength, and speed. He has simply struggled catching the ball. If he could get his hands just to average, he could be great.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Depth...Nate is Depth at our WR postion, So in Week 6 or week 9 when someone is banged up we have a veteran to put in, not someone just signed off the streets.

Depth

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I will destroy you.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We're looking for a #2 receiver IF Gordon keeps his nose clean. On the other hand, if Gordon blows a joint this summer who's our number 1 then? Probably Nate Burleson. Yikes! As much as I like Gordon's on the field talent, his off the field baggage makes drafting Watkins a little more appealing. Because one tiny little Fup and we don't have a #1 receiver for an entire year.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
JC

No longer a "Need" to draft a WR. We can use those early picks at the spots that aren't nearly as easy to fill in free agency (CB, QB, OL).

Draft is deep at WR, watch for value in the mid rounds.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
SPIRITBRO77 THAT IS SUCH A GREAT POINT. Anything can happen, just look at the injuries last year. If Josh goes down for any reason the Browns have no other studs to look to at the WR position. That's why I really want Watkins at #4. I'm just afraid with all this Carr talk of him drafting in the top 10 that the Browns may reach and take him since reports are that they really like the kid.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

As much as I like Gordon's on the field talent, his off the field baggage makes drafting Watkins a little more appealing.

Watkins was arrested and suspended in college for driving with pot and pills.

Not exactly the perfect insurance policy for Gordon.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Based on that logic the Packers should use their first round pick on a QB, because, you know, injuries can happen.

What if we draft Watkins and both he and Gordon get hurt?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
If it doesn't enter him into the 2nd group then it's irrelevant in all honesty.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Based on that logic the Packers should use their first round pick on a QB, because, you know, injuries can happen.

Actually Flynn has proven to be a capable back-up...

And we aren't drafting Watkins to be a back-up you only play 1 QB at a time and it's usually the same one on every snap, you can use 3, 4 or sometimes 5 WR at a time.. so having more than one that is really good makes sense... it's different than drafting a pure back-up in the first round.. and if they both get hurt then we are screwed, just like most other teams who lose their #1 and #2 at any given group....

But more to his point, he was saying draft Watkins because none of the QBs are worth the #4 pick and he is.. that fact that it's still a position of need isn't as important..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Actually Flynn has proven to be a capable back-up...

In Green Bay.

No one else has even kept him for a full season.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Quote:

Sans the sarcasm, the Packers could of used a high pick at QB. Look what happened to them when Rodgers went down last yr., didn't they use two or three options & lost a bunch of games because they really had no plan B.

Legend
Legend
FWIW, I think the Burleson signing suggests we take Watkins high if possible. His year of helping out rooks could be priceless. Bess couldn't do it. If we are drafting multiple wideouts, it makes sense to culture them up with veteran experience. It may not be Watkins, and QB has to be addressed. Adequate arm to a superior target can work. Super arm to lousy target doesn't. So we may be looking at a bunch of pieces, and a tandem approach seems smart to me. Just suggesting we consider there is purpose in this direction knowing it is not a long-term solution. JMO

Welcome to the Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I would like to know how much we are paying him, but if it isn't extreme, I have to say that I really like this signing.

Nate is smart. Very smart. Our current WRs are not. Hopefully, Nate can be that type of leader that influences our young guys in a positive manner.

Nate can catch the ball. He runs pretty good routes. He can take pressure off the number one guy. His numbers in limited action last year were decent. I like the guy.

I am hoping---but don't quite believe it---that this will take Watkins off our board. I wouldn't mind us drafting a WR later in the draft in this very deep WR class.

We must also remember that Shanny's history is that his number one WRs catch a lot of balls and the other guys don't. I think it would be foolish to invest a WR that high.

Again, as long as the money isn't absurd, I really like this signing.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Going into a draft and drafting to replace a player who MIGHT get hurt is assinine. Any player can get hurt, to use that logic to draft players would be foolish.

IMO this front office is putting together a team that has less needs, and more wants. By that I mean they are using FA to fill holes so that when draft time comes, need is less important than wanting a player.

Burleson is a decent player, with tons of experience. As we sit now, he can compliment the WR core very well. The guy is no bum, plus he is a positive veteran voice in the locker room.

I can't understand those who think about what happens when someone gets injured, before they even go to training camp. Any player who is a starter and goes down with injury hurts a team to some extent, but dwelling on that thought is negativity at it's finest.

With Gordon, Hawkins, Little and Burleson, and throw in Cameron, I believe we have a pretty good group of WRs.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
True... unless you're talking about QB. No other position has the effect on team performance like QB does. If you're #1 goes down and you don't have a legit backup, everything goes to hell. If this happens on a team that's actually good, then that's the difference between playoffs and not.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yeah, I agree ER19.

Lets get a #1 QB or RT, or RG or ILB or CB2 before we worry about getting a #2 WR in case our #1 gets hurt

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

yeah, I agree ER19.

Lets get a #1 QB or RT, or RG or ILB or CB2 before we worry about getting a #2 WR in case our #1 gets hurt

Eh, I see Little as definitely upgradeable. He's no number 2 at all.

QB is the most important position. After that, I consider those all equal. Get the best players you can get after QB. Be it a guard, RT, WR, CB. I guess I'd like to avoid high a high pick at D-Line or OLB. And I don't think Craig Robertson (Robinson?) is that bad either. Although, if we can get Mosley or some ILB beast, sure

QBs make and break seasons. That's not so much the case with other positions, unless you're stuck putting someone like O'Neil Cousins at LT or some crazy thing like that........

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
Quote:

Quote:

As much as I like Gordon's on the field talent, his off the field baggage makes drafting Watkins a little more appealing.

Watkins was arrested and suspended in college for driving with pot and pills.

Not exactly the perfect insurance policy for Gordon.

Theres a bit of a difference.

Turst me, i love Josh Gordon on this team, i dont think anyone will argue about the kids talent.

but the difference between him and watkins, watkins got busted once. Gordon got busted, knew what would happen if he did it again, and yet did it again and got caught, causing him to transfer schools. After making that huge of an impact on his life, and putting himself in a situation where he KNEW if he screwed up again he was out of football and likely wouldnt be a 1st round pick but maybe a 2nd or 3rd or something, LOSING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS---- the dude still went out and smoked weed.

Ive smoked some good chit in my life, but i felt guilty spending 50 bucks on it, this dude spent millions to smoke weed!

So while i hope he stays on the straight and narrow, theres most certainly a much much higher chance that gordon screws up again, based on a pattern we have seen from him. Thats quite a bit different than sammy getting busted once with it.

So while i wouldnt ever spend a top 5 pick as an insurance policy for another player, i would take sammy watkins that early based on skill, and also keep in the back of my mind that yeah, gordon could make a bad decision ONE TIME that would leave us with basically nothing at receiver. Thats not my deciding factor, but its a nice security blanket that comes with a guy who is ridiculously talented anyway.

And while #2 WR may not be the most important need on the team, its still a pretty big need. Not only that, but having 2 #1 receivers is never a bad problem to have. Whether its hoyer or a rookie behind center, they will FINALLY have a chance in cleveland to work with an offense that allows them to show their potential.

im sick of shuffling through high draft pick QBs who even though they suck, even if they were good it would be tough to tell with the supporting cast we have around them.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
ER19, no one is saying draft for possible injury, I was replying to the Packer scenario. They would probably of won a few more games if they would of put a little more effort in drafting a decent backup for such a critical part of their of their offence. As it stood, they were scrambling for a replacement.

As for us.....Gordon is great, Hawk will be good, Nate will be fine, but as much as I would love to have Little & Ben work out, it won't happen. Now that you mentioned it, if, IF one of our key receivers goes down, we are in trouble.

We need to draft a serious # 2 for a whole lot of reasons & if we get a chance to draft any of the top talent we should do it. Not because of a possible injury, because we really need one.

Sorry Vers, I didn't see your reply, I had you on ignore mode for some time now.

Thxs

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

We're looking for a #2 receiver IF Gordon keeps his nose clean. On the other hand, if Gordon blows a joint this summer who's our number 1 then? Probably Nate Burleson. Yikes! As much as I like Gordon's on the field talent, his off the field baggage makes drafting Watkins a little more appealing. Because one tiny little Fup and we don't have a #1 receiver for an entire year.

True enough. That said, there is something to be said for planning for the worst. There is also something to be said for allowing it to dictate all of your decisions.

I don't know where the balance is. I think in this case you don't plan for it and simply deal with it if it evolves.

JMO

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Oh I think the FO is going to go WR heavy in this draft. ...

Won't do any good if we're still "QB light" as we are currently.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

1. Go all in on getting a franchise QB.

2. Build a dominant OL.

I think you add a big-time WR after you have built the rest of your team. They are the final piece of the puzzle to get you over the top. They are NOT the key ingredient.

Yea verily.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

It doesn't matter how good or bad your line is... if your QB sucks. ...

While I'm certainly not going to advocate continued sucky QB / WR / RB play, a good O-line makes everyone on the offense look better, especially QB & RB. If QB has lots of time, even a poor reading QB has more time to find an open receiver, and they have more time to get open. {Of course, a QB throwing underhand won't help in this case.} Also, even lame RB's can find some daylight with a good O-line. Open receivers still need to hold on to the ball, natch.

Game is still won in the trenches. A good D-line will make secondary look lots better, too.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Hope he was dirt cheap. Should have waited until after the draft. He would have still been hanging out there praying for a team to sign him.

Maybe they're not planning on drafting a wide receiver, unless there's a real steal in 2nd / 3rd round.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Hope he was dirt cheap. Should have waited until after the draft. He would have still been hanging out there praying for a team to sign him.

Maybe they're not planning on drafting a wide receiver, unless there's a real steal in 2nd / 3rd round.

I don't see wide receiver as a huge need. We already had Gordon, Little, Cameron, and Benjamin as pass catchers and then we added Hawkins and Burleson. That is a pretty good group. No matter what people say about Little he is a pretty good fourth or fifth option as a pass catcher.

I think we will dip our toe into the wide receiver pool in this draft because the position is so deep and a gem could be found in the mid to late rounds. But it is definitely not a pressing need.

Sammy Watkins should only be the pick if he is overwhelmingly the most talented player available. I don't see how that is the case in this draft.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Nate wants to mentor Gordon:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/08/nate-burleson-wants-to-be-a-mentor-to-josh-gordon/

Quote:

When wide receiver Nate Burleson signed with the Browns, he got a message from former Lions teammate Calvin Johnson.

Johnson told Burleson that Josh Gordon was a good receiver, which Burleson took as high praise from a player as talented and as quiet as Johnson. While Burleson plans to rebound after missing much of 2013 with a broken arm, saying he can “tap dance” to 1,000 receiving yards if healthy, he also thinks that he can help the team by mentoring Gordon off the field to help keep him out of the trouble that’s already led to a suspension.

“If I can take a guy out to dinner, hang out outside of the locker room, then I’m definitely going to do that because that’s one of the more important times when the lessons are learned, when you’ve got the jerseys off and you kind of unveil yourself and it’s not all football,” Burleson said, via the Akron Beacon Journal. “That’s how I got so close to the receiving corps in Detroit. That’s how I was able to really get to know Calvin on a personal level because we spent so much time with each other off the field. That’s the plan. I’m going to continue to do that. That’s part of my nature, though. That’s just who I am. I’m a social butterfly, and I feel like positive conversation, positive reinforcement is always going to supersede anything else.”

Running back Willis McGahee suggested Gordon needed a veteran receiver to mentor him last season, but the closest thing the Browns had was Davone Bess and his own off-field issues made him a poor choice for the role. Burleson has always been regarded as a strong locker room presence so he should be a better fit for that role as the Browns try to ensure Gordon is only a problem for the other 31 teams in the league.

Link to a radio interview of Nate. Whoever said he was well spoken and seemingly intelligent, after listening to this I think I would have to agree:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...f1-4e8b4f94b495

Extremely well-spoken...

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I see a trend of us adding some veteran leadership and I like it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Nate Burleson to visit.

Link Copied to Clipboard