Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
Quote:

More on topic, cuze I didn't read the posts...keep Mike Evans name alive..thats another possibility starting to gain steam.

at 26?

yebat' Putin
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
'Cleveland Browns have talked to QB David Carr about a backup role if they draft his brother Derek Carr'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/cleveland_browns_have_talked_t.html

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group on May 01, 2014 at 8:23 PM, updated May 02, 2014 at 1:38 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- By the end of the draft next week, the Browns could have two Carrs parked in their quarterback room.

David Carr, the former No. 1 overall pick of the Texans and big brother of Browns' prospect Derek Carr, told cleveland.com Thursday that the Browns are one of about six teams that have talked to him about signing as a backup if they draft his little brother.

"Yeah, they've definitely been one of those teams that have expressed interest,'' said Carr, 34. "There are probably about six or seven teams that have been real interested in that scenario, so we'll see what happens. It's going to be exciting.''

In Cleveland, David would especially come in handy because he knows offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan's offense inside and out. Shanahan was wide receivers coach for the Texans under Gary Kubiak in 2006, Carr's final season there.

"For brotherly, selfish reasons, that would be great,'' said David. "But at the same time, I don't trust any other quarterback in the room with Derek (laughs). I know quarterbacks and I know veteran guys come in a lot of times and they don't want the young guy to play. They're going to be a teammate, but are they going to go to that next level to make sure this kid really succeeds? I can guarantee you that's the case with us. He would be just as happy if I was on the field as if he were out there.

"That's the goal -- to get him to play at a high level and to go out and use the experience that I've kind of gained over the last decade or so and try and help him out.''

David, who starred at Fresno State 11 years before his brother did, acknowledged it would "almost'' be too good to be true for the two to play on the same team "but it would be smart. I'm not a general manager, but the teams that have expressed interest in it, they think they're on to something and I think they're right.''

David, who sat out of football last season after being released by the Giants in August, would be content helping Derek and the other quarterbacks improve. After going 23-56 in his 11 seasons -- including 22-53 with the expansion Texans -- he knows his primary role is as a mentor. In addition to the six teams interested in him in a package deal with Derek, three teams have discussed signing him even without the sidekick.

"If I came back to the NFL to play, it wouldn't be for myself, it wouldn't be a selfish reason,'' he said. "It would be to really help the team. I've stood there before and held the clipboard, but I didn't really feel like I was really helping. I want to go in and really make an impact, whether I'm on the field or off the field. I want to do as much in the meeting room, in the locker room as I can to help a young guy, or to help an experienced guy.

And if it happens in Cleveland, where he already likes and trusts the staff, all the better. Carr is one of several quarterbacks the Browns are seriously considering in this draft.

"With good communication in the quarterback room, you can get to a point, especially in Kyle's offense where it can look very smooth and you can line up some numbers,'' David said. "Hopefully we'll get a chance somewhere -- but the Browns are definitely on the radar for sure.''

(end)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
very interesting

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
We can't be serious...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

We can't be serious...

What, You thought it would stop at Vince Young?

What're Joey Harrington and Matt Lienart up to these days?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
the last thing I want is that smarmy slimeball strutting around the sidelines filling Derek's ear with "advice". Ugh.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

More on topic, cuze I didn't read the posts...keep Mike Evans name alive..thats another possibility starting to gain steam.

I'd love that in a trade down scenario. Sell off Watkins to whoever believes his hype, take Evans and the extra picks, thank you. I have Evans over Watkins anyway at WR, so I'd love the value aspect, BUT....the QB problem remains. If we can grab a falling Teddy later? Man, Evans+Teddy+Fuller would be my wet Dream scenario

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Quote:

We can't be serious...

What, You thought it would stop at Vince Young?

What're Joey Harrington and Matt Lienart up to these days?

Maybe Tim Tebow will come out of "retirement" too? I'm sure he's been practicing a lot, just in case.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
What's truly interesting is that of 6 teams we are the only one known. If it's not a ploy to get someone to take Carr over a QB we actually like I don't know what is.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Farmer was at several of their games as well as practices to evaluate JM...had no choice but get one of the best looks at Evans

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What's truly interesting is that of 6 teams we are the only one known. If it's not a ploy to get someone to take Carr over a QB we actually like I don't know what is.

I refuse to believe that after ALL this secrecy, were just ganna be like "Oh yeah, we want Carr"

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 ‘Many in football’ believe Cleveland Browns will draft Derek Carr

Link Copied to Clipboard