Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
CalDawg #878315 05/04/14 12:36 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

LOL, by next year it's possible that the tide will have turned yet again. As I stated, all the good teams have a good running game, and it's likely that this will once again start to be noticed and imitated. Everything old is new again.

While I do agree with this, I don't believe it will be a sudden turnaround. I believe we will see players who may have been extremely good RB's decide to play other positions instead. I mean if you had the option of playing a position that was in high money demand, rather than play a position that was being devalued, which would you choose?

I can't remember which RB it was, but just last week one of them said they had the option of playing S. That in retrospect, if he had it to do over again, he would have went that route. So I believe we will see a trend where the most elite athletes that may have chosen the RB position before, will not pursue the position.

I believe the days of seeing elite RB's could be taking a very long vacation.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #878316 05/04/14 12:47 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
That was our very own Ben Tate.

That said, I don't think it's their choice

CHSDawg #878317 05/04/14 01:17 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe athlete's always have a choice. If I'm a high school football coach, I want elite athletes. I'm not going to force an elite athlete out of my program by being stubborn. If he's actually elite, he will be a great asset at more than one position.

Once he gets to the NCAA level, being elite he will have the choice of schools and programs. He has choices.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #878318 05/04/14 01:30 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I've seen a lot of midwest high school football and it's all just Marty Ball. I don't know how the South or California do it, but all I'm saying is that if some of these schools had Megatron on their teams, they'd still be running that triple option. I think Greg Little is a great example of this. At 6'2 the guy should not be playing RB, but he was.

CHSDawg #878319 05/06/14 11:51 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Uh Oh. Look out. Mary Kay's Tweetin' that Hyde is on our radar for pick # 35.

KFFL

Brownoholic #878320 05/07/14 01:22 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Uh Oh. Look out. Mary Kay's Tweetin' that Hyde is on our radar for pick # 35.

KFFL

I'd love to have Hyde.

In the 3rd round.

I don't want to spend a 2nd on an RB, when we just signed one..

Unless the offense is going to be VERY run heavy... Which I don't think it is, or should be, we have the makings of a really balanced owffense...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #878321 05/07/14 01:35 AM
Legend
Legend
If we take Robinson at 4 and Hyde at 35, I will be furious beyond words. I think that both moves would be wasted moves.

However, since reports of this kind are rarely true, hopefully I'll be a happy camper on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I can't say I'd be "furious" to aquire two players of Robinson and Hydes calibur.

I just don't think we need those specific people at that junction. I'd rather get a 3rd round G and a "sleeper" RB... Better value IMO.

I just want the draft to be over with honestly. It's to the point I'm not even excited anymore.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #878323 05/07/14 04:02 AM
Legend
Legend
Given the dire, desperate need we have at QB, ILB, and CB, I would be furious with a RT and a RB with 2 of our top 3 picks.

I love Joe Thomas, both as a player, and as a Cleveland Brown ..... but let's be honest ...... how many games has the best LT in the game helped us win? We have great talent on the OL in Thomas and mack, and solid players in Greco and Schwartz. If they draft Robinson, it better be because they have a 1st or 2nd round offer for Schwartz. I would not even really be a fan of dumping him at this point, because I think that he will be much better back in a WCO/ZBS scheme.

Besides, our OL was pretty damn good when any QB not named Weeden was under Center, and when either Obi or Baker tried to run behind them. I just simply do not se a desperate need there. I think a RT at 4 would be an enormous waste.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I think you are overstating our need at ILB and CB slightly.

Dire? Desperate? Come on now.

Skrine is a solid #2 corner, can he be improved upon? Of course, does replacing him make our depth better? Yes. But you don't HAVE to replace HIM to make the depth better. And I say that as a guy that would love Fuller at 26.

I'm completely fine with a guy like Borland from WI or Bullough from MSU at ILB, and you might be able to get one of them at the top of the 3rd, if not, move it up to the 2nd.

We don't need 10 drafted rookies coming in. Use those later picks to get better players.

I would be ecstatic with

4: QB Bridgewater/Manziel
26: CB Fuller
35: WR Matthews
71: LB Borland
83: G Richardson
106: RB Sims
127: S Reynolds

ThatGuy #878325 05/07/14 05:07 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Give me this ... with Manziel as that first player drafted (ideally if we trade back to 6-10 and acquire another 2nd/3rd, and then draft him)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
jaybird #878326 05/07/14 10:41 AM
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

I'd be fine with him in the third but I think he goes late 2nd

I think you're right.

I need to do some research. Who has been on IR more, Ben Tate or Sam Bradford?

My bet is Tate.

Olskool711 #878327 05/07/14 10:55 AM
Legend
Legend
Tate - Twice, His Rookie year when he broke his ankle in the preseason. And last year he missed the last two games (of a 2-12 season) with broken ribs. He's never played in less than 11 games.

Bradford - Once, Last season he missed the last 9 games after being put on IR, he missed 6 games in 2011, but was never placed on IR

15 games in 4 years for a QB.
8 games in 3 years for a RB. (Not counting his missed rookie season)

The guy that gets hit every play he ouches the ball misses more than the guy that isn't supposed to get hit every play, who knew?

CalDawg #878328 05/07/14 11:14 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
j/c

Don;t see why we'd go second round for a RB when we picked up a good on in FA. There's a few different running backs that will be available in the 3rd and even beyond that have good potential.

And honestly, there's something about Hyde I don't trust. Can't quite put my finger on it but I have a feeling playing against bigger, faster defences every week, he's not going to be what he was in college.

For running backs, I like that Sims kid from W. Virginia or Bishop Sankey from Washington.

CanadaDawg #878329 05/07/14 11:19 AM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Not sure why we always get linked to Hyde. He is not a ZBS running back -- and Shanahan is known for only drafting guys who fit his scheme (usually waiting until the late rounds to do it).

Of course - Shanahan isn't in charge of the draft. But if the FO hired him (probably after an interview where he talked up the ZBS for this team)- i would think they would be paying attention to the type of RB he wants.

~Lyuokdea
CanadaDawg #878330 05/07/14 11:24 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Don;t see why we'd go second round for a RB when we picked up a good on in FA. There's a few different running backs that will be available in the 3rd and even beyond that have good potential.

GREAT potential . . .

Lyuokdea #878331 05/07/14 11:26 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

He is not a ZBS running back -- and Shanahan is known for only drafting guys who fit his scheme (usually waiting until the late rounds to do it).

What type of RB fits this system? In general and in THIS draft?

Honestly only thought if you were fast enough, can hit the hole, block, & catch you were a fit.

Brownoholic #878332 05/07/14 11:34 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd love to have two punishers running the ball.
Mack and Byer come to mind.

Not sure I want that 2nd pick accomplishing that.
I'd like a corner myself.

1oldMutt #878333 05/07/14 11:43 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Kevin Mack. Only jersey I've ever owned. The one I still wear.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't think using a 2nd round pick on a running back in this draft would be wise. There is great depth at the running back position, we can get one who can play much later in the draft. Also, we should use our second round pick on a player who can help us at a position of more need (corner, guard, wide receiver, inside linebacker).

cfrs15 #878335 05/07/14 11:59 AM
Legend
Legend
I agree. With the addition of Tate, with Baker looking pretty good at the end of the season, with adding a legit FB, I might take a late round flyer on a RB but I wouldn't do it first or second day.

yebat' Putin
ThatGuy #878336 05/07/14 12:16 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think you are overstating our need at ILB and CB slightly.

Dire? Desperate? Come on now.

Skrine is a solid #2 corner, can he be improved upon? Of course, does replacing him make our depth better? Yes. But you don't HAVE to replace HIM to make the depth better. And I say that as a guy that would love Fuller at 26.

I'm completely fine with a guy like Borland from WI or Bullough from MSU at ILB, and you might be able to get one of them at the top of the 3rd, if not, move it up to the 2nd.

We don't need 10 drafted rookies coming in. Use those later picks to get better players.

I would be ecstatic with

What happened last year when teams lined up 3 or 4 wide against us? We have Haden, who is a very good CB. (though I don't know if he is "great") Skrine is a solid #2 Corner, probably better suited to play in the slot. Who else do we have? Want to trust McFadden to cover even a #3 receiver? What about that 4th? Maybe we throw a S on him, but is that optimal?

I want to be able to play against a 4-5 receiver spread, and actually be able to cover them. That takes quality CBs. We have 2 right now. That's it. If either guy gets hurt, we're screwed.

In the last 3 years. Haden has played 15, 11, and 15 games. What do we do when he gets dinged and misses a game or 2? How about if we're in the middle of a playoff push?

No, the need for quality CBs, both a starter, and top end depth, is vital if this team wants to win. After QB, I can think of no position in more dire straits right now.

ILB is also a mess right now. (outside of Dansby) We signed a guy who is decent depth, but who has played something like 7 games in the past 3 years. We need to find the guy who can not only play alongside Dansby, but who can anchor the ILB unit in a couple of years when Dansby retires. ILB is a dual need in that regard. We have no one to fill that position as a starter right now, and have limited backup options. Robertson is probably our best option right now. Want to play with him at ILB? The problem with ILB is that there are limited options in this draft. We'll probably take one of the (far) second tier ILB in the 3rd/4th rounds. I hope we take 2 in this draft.

Anyway, I stick with my original opinion. Our 1st 3 picks should be a QB and a pair of CB, unless Mosley drops to us at 26. I would still take CBs as high as the remaining available players can be justified.

If we have to go into this coming year with Robertson at ILB, and a backup/N/D CB corps consisting of McFadden, Heath, Trufant, Poyer, and Hughes ...... then our defense will be as fragile as it was last year, and susceptible to breaking at any time. I don't want that to happen. Plus, having vastly improved CB play would help a guy like Gipson as well.

Our defense is really close to being an elite unit. We should do what it takes to take that next step.

On offense, we need a QB. That is our biggest need. Put a guy like Roethlisberger on this team, and it would be an upper level offense. Having exceptional receivers like Gordon at WR, and Cameron at TE, along with Tate now at RB, and almost any QB would be thrilled to see those weapons available for him to use.I think that we have enough complimentary/role receivers to manage the 3rd-5th options for the QB. We also do have Hawkins as one of thse extra weapons.

Man, I look at our offense, and really, QB is the screaming weakness. We return 80% of the OL unit that was so exceptional 2 seasons ago when we last played in the WCO. They allowed only 36 sacks to Brandon Weeden and Co. that year. That is very good. I believe that we can fill the G spot opposite Greco internally. We spent extra roster spots last year developing young OL. We need to see what we have.

I like out top 3 RB, Tate, Baker, and Lewis. Add in Obi as a solid option as well, and the group is solid. I would like to add one more to the group, but this is a quality unit.

Our WR corps starts with Josh Gordon, and that's a great place to start. Hawkins is a slot-supreme guy. We have Little, who for all of his flaws, is still an incredible blocker, and one of the hardest worked on the team. We signed Burleson to add to our group of guys who play opposite Gordon. He is a guy who understands running routes, and should be an excellent piece of the puzzle.

TE is Cameron, He's only a Pro Bowler, like 3 of his offensive teammates.

I remember back in 2007, when we had a QB who could get the ball down the field. We had Edwards, Jurevicius, and Winslow. We had an incredible passing attack. Who was our 3rd receiver that year? Can anyone remember? I can't. Cribbs played some ..... but 3 catches for 37 yards wasn't exactly a huge contribution. No matter, DA still threw for almost 3800 yards, and 29 TD.

The QB is our biggest, deepest hole on offense. I wish that I could believe that Hoyer is the answer, but I don't think that we can count on it. If we can get the QB right, I think that this offense is primed to explode. We need to grab the guy we feel has the highest potential, and start developing him.

Get the QB right. Give this team a quality starter there. Once that's done, the offense will come together. This is the 2014 NFL. Pass the ball, Stop the pass, Win games. If we get the QB right, there is no reason why we can't see a 2007-like explosion.

Fill a couple fo massive holes on defense, and the defense can make moves towards becoming an elite unit.

QB/CB/CB/ILB/ILB. These are the holes that need filled in order for this to happen.

This team can be one of those huge surprise teams, if we address our needs smartly. IMHO, that means adding a QB, a pair of CB, and a pair of ILB to compete for the starting spot. . All other spots are luxuries.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Your thinking is solid but not taking a WR in a draft so rich with them would be madness. I'm not saying top pick but we can pick up great talent in the 3rd round at WR this year.

I'm in agreement we should get another corner and another ILB- but I actually think we need a new ILB worse as Craig Robertson should not be a starter on this D.

If Moseley is there at 26 or close enough to 26 that we can trade up using a late rounder, I'd be all over it. As really after him, the talent gets pretty ordinary pretty fast.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What happened last year when teams lined up 3 or 4 wide against us? We have Haden, who is a very good CB. (though I don't know if he is "great") Skrine is a solid #2 Corner, probably better suited to play in the slot. Who else do we have? Want to trust McFadden to cover even a #3 receiver? What about that 4th? Maybe we throw a S on him, but is that optimal?

You kind of just proved my point by saying Skrine is a solid #2. I'm not saying don't draft a CB, I'm just saying we don't HAVE to spend a 1st round pick on a CB, because replacing the #3 is the same as replacing the #2, you're still improving depth..

Quote:

I want to be able to play against a 4-5 receiver spread, and actually be able to cover them.

Then by your standards our first 3 picks should be CBs? No team can say they have 5 good corners, not even the Seahawks.

Quote:

If either guy gets hurt, we're screwed.

Never plan for something you have control over, aka injuries.

Quote:

In the last 3 years. Haden has played 15, 11, and 15 games. What do we do when he gets dinged and misses a game or 2? How about if we're in the middle of a playoff push?

Again, you're planning for injuries, And didn't our D play pretty well when Haden was out for 4 games? If the defense as a unit can't handle someone missing a game, then that's a whole nother problem
No, the need for quality CBs, both a starter, and top end depth, is vital if this team wants to win. After QB, I can think of no position in more dire straits right now.

Quote:

ILB is also a mess right now. (outside of Dansby) We signed a guy who is decent depth, but who has played something like 7 games in the past 3 years. We need to find the guy who can not only play alongside Dansby, but who can anchor the ILB unit in a couple of years when Dansby retires. ILB is a dual need in that regard. We have no one to fill that position as a starter right now, and have limited backup options. Robertson is probably our best option right now. Want to play with him at ILB? The problem with ILB is that there are limited options in this draft. We'll probably take one of the (far) second tier ILB in the 3rd/4th rounds. I hope we take 2 in this draft.

Do I want to play a guy that has experience, and is still reaching his potential? Sure. Would I like to improve on it? Of course. I don't see your doom and gloom "messy" ILB situation, we need an ILB, draft one. Boom, done, in a couple years, draft another..

Quote:

Anyway, I stick with my original opinion. Our 1st 3 picks should be a QB and a pair of CB, unless Mosley drops to us at 26. I would still take CBs as high as the remaining available players can be justified.

I think taking two of the same position in your first three picks is a waste, when theres more talented players at other positions out there...

Quote:

If we have to go into this coming year with Robertson at ILB, and a backup/N/D CB corps consisting of McFadden, Heath, Trufant, Poyer, and Hughes ...... then our defense will be as fragile as it was last year, and susceptible to breaking at any time. I don't want that to happen.

Yeah, it'd be great to have Pro Bowlers at every single position, is also highly unlikely..

Quote:

Plus, having vastly improved CB play would help a guy like Gipson as well.

I think the greatest help we could ever give Gipson is Whitner.

Quote:

Our defense is really close to being an elite unit. We should do what it takes to take that next step.

One more CB, and a starting ILB.

Quote:

On offense, we need a QB.

Duh.

Quote:

We also do have Hawkins as one of thse extra weapons.

I believe we're going to use Hawkins a lot more than you think...

Quote:

QB/CB/CB/ILB/ILB. These are the holes that need filled in order for this to happen.

I think it's crazy you want to draft two CBs and two ILBs.

Brownoholic #878339 05/09/14 10:06 AM
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Without a young, hard running, big back I think we are still missing a big piece.

If Carlos Hyde is that guy, go get him!

I don't know Hyde. Does he run hard, really hard? Is he tough?

How does he compare to Lacy?

Olskool711 #878340 05/09/14 11:11 AM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

Quote:

Without a young, hard running, big back I think we are still missing a big piece.

If Carlos Hyde is that guy, go get him!

I don't know Hyde. Does he run hard, really hard? Is he tough?

How does he compare to Lacy?

Very similar... Hyde is a beast. Big, Fast, sees the holes well, can block,... He reminds me of Eddie George but with better hands.

Paco #878341 05/09/14 11:19 AM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Reminds me more of Beanie Wells.

CHSDawg #878342 05/09/14 11:40 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Actually, he reminds me of Kevin Mack.

CHSDawg #878343 05/09/14 11:44 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Agreed.

WSU Willie #878344 05/09/14 02:41 PM
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Whoa!!!

Beanie Wells is NOT Kevin Mack!

Which one is it?

If he is really big, fast, runs hard, and is tough, what is the problem?

What is going on with this dude?

Is he a significant drop off from Eddie Lacy?

WSU Willie #878345 05/09/14 02:52 PM
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed.

Nothing like Beanie Wells IMO....Hyde is a hard runner that I never saw let up like Wells did.

Olskool711 #878346 05/09/14 02:57 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hyde is like the MACK !

waterdawg #878347 05/09/14 03:00 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
PastorMarc #878348 05/09/14 03:04 PM
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
I love watching Carlos Hyde play. He's a bulldog in the backfield and he's a tough as nails runner, but I wouldn't pick him at R2 #35. If Hyde's gone by the time we pick in the 3rd Round, I would give a legitimate look at Washington RB Bishop Sankey. Sankey's an under the radar talent IMO.

Olskool711 #878349 05/09/14 03:11 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D

Fox&Hound7 #878350 05/09/14 04:36 PM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

I love watching Carlos Hyde play. He's a bulldog in the backfield and he's a tough as nails runner, but I wouldn't pick him at R2 #35. If Hyde's gone by the time we pick in the 3rd Round, I would give a legitimate look at Washington RB Bishop Sankey. Sankey's an under the radar talent IMO.

I like Sankey too but both will be gone by the 3rd.

Olskool711 #878351 05/09/14 04:40 PM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

Whoa!!!

Beanie Wells is NOT Kevin Mack!

Which one is it?

If he is really big, fast, runs hard, and is tough, what is the problem?

What is going on with this dude?

Is he a significant drop off from Eddie Lacy?

Actually he is very similar to Lacy... Lacy's feet are probably a smidgeon better but Hyde I think has him beat in every other aspect.

waterdawg #878352 05/09/14 05:17 PM
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Hyde is like the MACK !

If that's true, then overdraft and get our guard in the 3rd!

Don't let him pass.

Love Sankey and Mason, but I want a TANK!

A mean one. Viscious one.

Olskool711 #878353 05/09/14 05:41 PM
Legend
Legend
I just don't see Shanny wanting a 235 lb, 4.6something 40 time tank. I think he wants faster and more agile.. How many of the top 20 RBs list at over 220 lbs? I bet it's not more than 2 or 3.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #878354 05/09/14 05:44 PM
Legend
Legend
What does he favor in the red zone? Hard to argue against Bettis size tight and short to score. I like Hyde.
I can see it. The great ones will find a way. I would love to see this happen. Or Marqise.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Carlos Hyde

Link Copied to Clipboard