Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
If Josh Gordon is suspended all season and Nate Burleson misses time with broken arm that will not heal. What are the best options remaining?

Currently the Browns have;
Greg Little - Talented but has yet to show the ability to be a go to receiver.
Travis Benjamin - Fast, good punt returner but not a starting receiver. Coming off injury.
Josh Cooper - Good hands but more of a possesion type receiver.
Tori Gurley - Big receiver with ability but so far has yet to crack the 53 man roster.
Andrew Hawkins - More of a slot receiver than a starter.
Charles Johnson - ????? Possible if he lives up to the hype. Coming off injury.
Vernon Conner - WHO????

Best available free agents still available

Santonio Holmes
Miles Austin
Danario Alexander
Robert Meachem
Earl Bennett
Austin Collie
Josh Morgan

Best receivers left in the draft

Brandon Coleman 6'6 225 lbs Rutgers
Jared Abbrederis 6'1 195 ilb Wisconsin
Cody Hoffman 6'3 220 lbs BYU
L'Damein Washington 6'3 195 Missouri
Martivious Bryant 6'3 210 lbs Clemson
Bruce Ellington 5'9 195 lbs South Carolina
Devin Street 6'7 200 lbs Pittisburg
Corey Brown 5'11 175 lbs Ohio State

I think I would make a play for Miles Austin to try to bring him in on a 1 year contract. Then taregt Brandon Coleman tomorrow in the 4th round. Then try to trade back up to get Bruce Ellington with the last draft pick.

That would leave a receiving core of

Miles Austin
Greg Little / Charles Johnson
Andrew Hawkins
Brandon Coleman
Bruce Ellington
Travis Benjamin

Another option is with all of the wide receivers taken in this years draft there should be some interesting names cut.

Legend
Legend
Right now we may wind up starting Little and Hawkins, with Cooper in the slot. Johnson might help. He was fairly well thought of last year.

I suspect that we'll run a lot of 2 TE the way things stand right now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I am guessing we are going to see a lot of 21 personnel on offense. Tate, Pressley/Ogbonnaya, Dray, with Hawkins and Cameron at receiver (I know Cameron is technically a tight end).

Legend
Legend
My guess is they might wait to see who's a cap casualty in June or a camp casualty in August. WR's always seem to be the first position let go for some reason.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Here's our options... Run,and often.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Greg little at #1 Hawkins at #2
Two TE sets often. I formation almost every down
Run the ball virtually every down

Play great defense, run the ball and EAT clock. Get one of the QB's(doesn't really matter who anymore) up under center and have him wait until the clock is down to 2 seconds EVERY play then hike the ball and hand it off. Eat every single second possible off the clock and pound the rock. Old school. Time for ground and pound.

Last edited by Spiritbro77; 05/10/14 03:52 AM.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Greg Little - Talented but has yet to show the ability to be a go to receiver."

Talented?!? Little?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm REALLY hoping that we can move up into the 4th round and grab either Jared Abbrederis or Bruce Ellington.

I'm now also on the Miles Austin band wagon. When he's healthy he's a pretty good possession receiver that can play the outside or the slot. I would really like us to try and bring him in.

If we ignore the WR position and go with who we have now, than we'll no doubt kick ourselves come mid-season when nobody can get open or hold onto passes.

Hawkins and Benjamin are unproven and injury prone.

Burleson is old and Greg Little is garbage.

Like most years our WR core needs help, and like most years our front office has ignored it.

Brian and Johnny are going to STRUGGLE throwing the ball with Gordon suspended.

Last edited by MrKelso; 05/10/14 07:55 AM.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Legend
Legend
I'm wondering if the Browns think, know or believe that Gordon isn't guilty and thus aren't reacting as you might suspect?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I'm wondering if the Browns think, know or believe that Gordon isn't guilty and thus aren't reacting as you might suspect?

Do you honestly believe that?

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think Ellington would be a steal. I very much want him and wanted him before this news of Gordon's decision to accurately represent the Cleveland Clowns moniker.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Jared Abbrederis

I was really impressed with this kid when Wisconsin played OSU. Tremendous hands and "faster than it seems" quickness to him.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
A
aej Offline
Rookie
Rookie
A
I wonder, when we had Hoyer at qb didn't Little catch almost every ball, even the tough ones, when Hoyer played? Also Cameron caught a lot more balls with Hoyer at qb. Maybe, just maybe Little would be better with a better qb than weeden or anyone we had other than Hoyer?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I still have hopes for Little. To date, he has underperformed, but the talent is there plus his blocking ability. Maybe he will finally step up to the plate...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Awwwww, does that mean spiral won't get to make any more ground and pound posts?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
We'll definitely get a WR in the draft somewhere...possibly a project if 6th 7th round.

If we need to dip into the FA pool but most of those guys are complimentary bananas not #1 types that you all talk about. For me they are X n Y WRs - Little is a big part of this. It would be Monster if he could put his act together he has all the talent.

Don't forget Benjamin who was coming into his own before the injury. Burleson should be ok by September he doesn't need much to get into the swing of things. Just remember this. Gordon had people talking about the Browns. But he set an NFL record of back to back 200 yard games and guess what - We Lost Both games. I'm telling you getting our run game going will do more for our WRs then having Gordon here!

Forget about Gordon cause once he comes back in 2015 we are going to trade him...possibly we get a one year extension for the lost season and then we trade him! Either way that means another first round pick possibly in 2016 giving us 2 first rounders 3 years in a row...more important than having a WR that gets great stats which equals to -0- wins!!!

So right now we got - Little, Burleson, Hawkins and Benjamin as a decent 4 WR corp and the how good how bad definitely will be riding on Little's shoulders. One of the backups got to seize the opportunity to step up and I'm sure we'll get a WR in the 4th or 5th round of the draft. But even if we don't we'll bring in about 5 UDFA WR...there are so many even in D2 that can progress into decent WRs....Luxury stud WR...Forget about it...we don't need no stinkin Luxury WR...lets just get 5 reliable WRs who have good hands and run good routes and we will be fine! Lets commit to the run and open this up with a horizontal stretch and Benjamin can definitely stretch the Vertical - Little isn't a slouch in that department either!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'M WONDERING.. That's all it means.

Last edited by Damanshot; 05/10/14 09:09 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Forget about Gordon cause once he comes back in 2015 we are going to trade him...possibly we get a one year extension for the lost season and then we trade him! Either way that means another first round pick possibly in 2016 giving us 2 first rounders 3 years in a row...

Am I misreading you, or are you insinuating that we could get a first round pick for Gordon?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

If Josh Gordon is suspended all season and Nate Burleson misses time with broken arm that will not heal. What are the best options remaining?

Currently the Browns have;
Greg Little - Talented but has yet to show the ability to be a go to receiver.
Travis Benjamin - Fast, good punt returner but not a starting receiver. Coming off injury.
Josh Cooper - Good hands but more of a possesion type receiver.
Tori Gurley - Big receiver with ability but so far has yet to crack the 53 man roster.
Andrew Hawkins - More of a slot receiver than a starter.
Charles Johnson - ????? Possible if he lives up to the hype. Coming off injury.
Vernon Conner - WHO????

Best available free agents still available

Santonio Holmes
Miles Austin
Danario Alexander
Robert Meachem
Earl Bennett
Austin Collie
Josh Morgan

Best receivers left in the draft

Brandon Coleman 6'6 225 lbs Rutgers
Jared Abbrederis 6'1 195 ilb Wisconsin
Cody Hoffman 6'3 220 lbs BYU
L'Damein Washington 6'3 195 Missouri
Martivious Bryant 6'3 210 lbs Clemson
Bruce Ellington 5'9 195 lbs South Carolina
Devin Street 6'7 200 lbs Pittisburg
Corey Brown 5'11 175 lbs Ohio State

I think I would make a play for Miles Austin to try to bring him in on a 1 year contract. Then taregt Brandon Coleman tomorrow in the 4th round. Then try to trade back up to get Bruce Ellington with the last draft pick.

That would leave a receiving core of

Miles Austin
Greg Little / Charles Johnson
Andrew Hawkins
Brandon Coleman
Bruce Ellington
Travis Benjamin

Another option is with all of the wide receivers taken in this years draft there should be some interesting names cut.

I want Brandon Coleman as well

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Awwwww, does that mean spiral won't get to make any more ground and pound posts?

Man I hope so, I must admit that comment is beginning to be 1 of the most annoying comments I have ever seen on here...

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Anybody know what picks we have left? I read somewhere a 4h and a 7th.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Yeah Indys 4th and our 7th.... Something ljk 127 and 218.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Yes I do or have been wondering the same. The one thing striking me is how Gordon has been on all the sports shows, (First Take Friday morning) Tweets right after the JFB pick... I personally would have been in a hole if I knew I was probably going to be suspended. Why would I be talking about how excited I was to have JFB being drafted if I knew I wasn't going to be there. So yes I'm wondering if something strange might be going on behind the scenes

Also, not sure if it really matters but what if Gordon was hanging out with the wrong people.. Wasn't really smoking the weed himself but was around it and got a contact buzz? I never smoked in my life but in my teens had many friends that did. I was always curious if I would've failed a test if one had been given.... Many times rode around in cars with people smoking....

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Yeah Indys 4th and our 7th.... Something ljk 127 and 218.

Thanks Stevo

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great WR's can come out of nowhere and still be found. Remember Gordon was taken in the Supplemental and Stevie Johnson was taken in the 7th. I'm not going into panic mode.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

The one thing striking me is how Gordon has been on all the sports shows, (First Take Friday morning) Tweets right after the JFB pick... I personally would have been in a hole if I knew I was probably going to be suspended. Why would I be talking about how excited I was to have JFB being drafted if I knew I wasn't going to be there

I don't know why people are assuming that Josh Gordon would operate with a modicum of common sense.

Quote:

Also, not sure if it really matters but what if Gordon was hanging out with the wrong people.. Wasn't really smoking the weed himself but was around it and got a contact buzz? I never smoked in my life but in my teens had many friends that did. I was always curious if I would've failed a test if one had been given.... Many times rode around in cars with people smoking....

Pretty much impossible.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Great WR's can come out of nowhere and still be found. Remember Gordon was taken in the Supplemental and Stevie Johnson was taken in the 7th. I'm not going into panic mode.

This is true but Gordon was not in the REAL draft because he was already a proven knucklehead.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Who knows...do you ? I'm saying you try for a first and see what you can get. He plays clean in 2015 and has a monster season...who knows.

I know one thing...you don't know what I don't know

Come on dawg...let go a little - you can stop the huffing and puffing...lol

later got to go to practice!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Who knows...do you ? I'm saying you try for a first and see what you can get. He plays clean in 2015 and has a monster season...who knows.

I know one thing...you don't know what I don't know

later got to go to practice!

Who's huffing and puffing?

I'm just saying it's ludicrous to think we could get a first for Gordon.

D
Legend
Legend
D
jc

Greg Little and the words "number one" is a very, very scary combination to me. I don't like it, not a bit...

I honestly don't see why we haven't drafted a WR. Especially factoring their moves upward to acquire a RB and and etc. If the staff is really sticking to their board, I can't believe they have WR valued so low. Do they got a gem here in the later rounds in mind or something?

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

Quote:

Who's huffing and puffing?

"Our opponents D," according to eotab in the Terrance West thread 18 minutes before he replied to you here. "Huffing and puffing" is eotab's mantra for today.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

"Greg Little - Talented but has yet to show the ability to be a go to receiver."

Talented?!? Little?

Little is very physically talented, and is a very hard worker. he is also a very good, and willing, blocker down the field.

Unfortunately, he hasn't put it together yet. His hands hold him back badly. Maybe he manages to get back to where he was the 2nd half of the season 2 years ago, where he started catching everything in sight.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but I hope he can. His strength is where he can see and watch the ball pretty much the whole way to his hands ..... so the over the shoulder stuff isn't the best option for Little.

One thing about Little ....... at least he hasn't thrown his career away because he had to go smoke pot.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wish we had a +1 button. Don't know how many times I've wanted to +1 a post. I agree. Catching the ball could always be learned. He could wind up being a true #1

Legend
Legend
All I can say is that he did catch the ball well for half a season. Hopefully he gets back to that.

Also, I think that a lot of veteran WRs are going to get chopped in the weeks to come as rookies start settling in. There are what v.... 18 rookie WRs who are heading to rosters around the league? Some veterans are going to be let go as a result ..... and soem may be because of salary as much as anything else.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Quote:

All that was at stake, and he couldn't stop hitting the pipe...he has a problem.

Having said that, weed is not a performance enhancing drug, and he still led the league?

He does have talent, and if we can keep him clean, and get him back in (both questionable i think) we will have receivers..

Who knows weed might be legal by then, lol!

Last edited by dawg531; 05/10/14 10:56 AM.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Quote:

Catching the ball could always be learned.

This is false. You can try to teach the proper technique, but if you have bad hands, you will most likely always has bad hands.

Anyone else expecting Little to be a legit #1 WR need a reality check. He struggles to create separation and has horrible hands. And he's a headcase on the field. He might have a good stretch of 3-4 games, but he'll never be consistent.

We're back to the days of the likes of Massaquoi and Robeiski being our WRs. At least we have a concussion prone Cameron now...

Legend
Legend
I think that you can teach a player to better catch the ball. Little managed to catch the ball cleanly the 2nd half of the 2012 season, after meeting with Alonzo Mourning. That shows that the ability is there .... he just has to access it habitually.

Legend
Legend
I think Little needs a psychologist vs more skill development. Those drops seem like more of a mental/confidence issue than a physical one. He does the work, he gets himself into the right position, he gets his hands set, he doesn't have any unusual jerks or hops. It's just a mental thing like golfers, pitchers, etc. go through. I really like Little and his physical attributes, and I hope he can work through this.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c
Here's my take on the situation for what its worth. I'm impressed by the FO's discipline to remain true to their draft plan. No panic, no impulsive over reaction. I would expect nothing less from professional football men. Obviously, Haslam is on board for the way that they are proceeding. I can't imagine that he is not fully informed about this "crisis" and the way Farmer and Pettine have decided to handle it.

I have no idea of Gordon's actual guilt or innocence. I am uncertain about what will be done with the two remaining picks. If no WR is taken then I believe they have some alternative in play that just isn't obvious to those of us not within the inner circle.

Overall I've liked the decisions made from free agency to the end of round 3. I remain confident that good football decisions will be made by the men in charge.

For those who prefer to freak out about it...feel free to indulge your panic.

D
Legend
Legend
D
With the Buffalo trade, the Browns have 9 picks in the 2015 draft, 6 picks in the first 4 rounds, so they have the capital to make a trade for a starting quality WR like the Niners did for Stevie Johnson. A 3rd rounder should do it, but even if its a 2nd rounder, I'd do it for a guy thats good enough to warrant that high price. Its not like we'll use the two 1st round picks to move up for Mariota or Winston, since we have Manziel. Unless we're planning to run the Wishbone offense, a trade seems necessary to me.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What are the best options left to address Wide Receiver?

Link Copied to Clipboard