Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

I would trade Brandon Hoyer in a second! I'd keep Brian though...

Haha. I was thinking, I'd take 3 days to think about it.

I fixed it now. LOL.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Houston needs a QB. We need a WR. What if Houston offered Andre Johnson for Brandon Hoyer straight up right now and said that we had 3 days to take it or leave it. What would you do?

I don't believe that deal would ever be offered. And knowing how hard it is to find a QB and knowing that Hoyer may very well be a fit and NOT Knowing if JM is real for the NFL, I think I'd pass on the deal.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I can only wish that "Brandon Hoyer" had Brandon's height and arm, with Hoyer's agility and decision making...

yebat' Putin
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Knowing that this franchise has its future set on Johnny Cleveland, I would do it. The problem is that Haslam had to run his big mouth to the media about what was told to Maniziel by the coaching staff about being a backup. If we were to trade Hoyer now, it would totally ruin the organization's credibility.

JMHO
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

I can only wish that "Brandon Hoyer" had Brandon's height and arm, with Hoyer's agility and decision making...

My brain was moving too fast. I was typing "And"re and then Br"and"don came out instead of Brian.

Derp.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Knowing that this franchise has its future set on Johnny Cleveland, I would do it. The problem is that Haslam had to run his big mouth to the media about what was told to Maniziel by the coaching staff about being a backup. If we were to trade Hoyer now, it would totally ruin the organization's credibility.

First, I believe you are correct about the Browns thinking that Manziel is the future. That shouldn't even come into question.

But, they wanted Weeden to be the man also, how did that work out. My point is, we don't know if JM is "THE GUY" yet. maybe, if in July or August, it's determined that Johnny is the guy, then sure. I suppose that's fine then although you'd be leaving yourself with out any experienced NFL Player as a back up to a rookie.

As for Haslam talking, I don't find what he said to be in poor taste or timing and despite what was said, There will be no problem changing things later.

Simply put, if Pettine says, hey, JM is great, we GOTTA go with him, they'll do just that and the thought of having prep as a back up will go out the window.

I don't think Haslam caused even a lick of problem with that.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
..Also..

We have credibility?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
I don't have a problem with what Haslam said, I just wish he didn't have to leak it to the media feeding frenzy and drive home the point with the, "Act like a backup. This isn't Hollywood" part.

He could have just said, "Right now, we have a starting QB and Johnny is going to have to earn it."

Either way, I posed the question because I find it intriguing. Andre Johnson is arguable the best WR in the league besides Calvin Johnson. We REALLY need a WR right now or else Hoyer or Manziel could both be failures.

JMHO
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

..Also..

We have credibility?

Whatever credibility we have left.

JMHO
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Andre Johnson is arguable the best WR in the league besides Calvin Johnson

He'll also be 33 to start this season.

If you're looking for a band aide. Sure.

But I'm not spending a 2nd round pick on a band aide.

We'll be fine/

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I just had a thought.

Jermichael Finley. If he clears medical waivers.

I understand that he's a "TE" But he's a guy at 6'5 240lb that a great pass catcher..

Just an idea.

Rookie
Rookie
j/c

According to Earl Bennetts nephew, he is saying that Bennett has signed with Cleveland..Also another Browns website reporting it as well..Not sure if im allowed to say names or not

There's always next year
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

I just had a thought.

Jermichael Finley. If he clears medical waivers.

I understand that he's a "TE" But he's a guy at 6'5 240lb that a great pass catcher..

Just an idea.

Jermichael Finley would be an absolute Gem of a signing, I thought that yesterday.
But isn't this the guy who is currently going to arbitration to prove he is due Wr money instead of TE money in regards to a franchise tag, or something?

If that is the case, then I highly doubt that his status is actually unrestricted.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
No, that would be Jimmy Graham of the Saints who actually did line up as a WR in over 60% of his plays.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Houston needs a QB. We need a WR. What if Houston offered Andre Johnson for Brian Hoyer straight up right now and said that we had 3 days to take it or leave it. What would you do?

'Andre Johnson is frustrated with the Texans; should the Browns become possible trade partner for receiver?'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ncart_most-read

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Isn't he frustrated with them for having the same issues that we've had?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yes, but we got a quarterback, and they got Nicolas Cage.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
UNRELATED!

isn't it nice that we have a front office that isn't just sticking with what we've had and adding a little bit of pieces to our WR corps? Weve had terrible WRs for years upon years upon years...and at best we have 1 or 2 good ones...and when I say good...I mean passable.
Braylon
Antonio Bryant
Jurevicius
Kevin Johnson
Josh Gordon...

1 good one at a time...and the rest, gross. Our current FO saw Gordon only, plus him missing games...and instead of finding more rookies and unknowns that contribute nothing or very little...
So we add Austin, Bennett, Hawkins, and Burleson...all guys that have contributed in the league...
While Austin and Burleson have injury histories, and Hawkins is recovered from an injury, and Bennett has been inconsistent in Chicago...These are all guys that have been in the league and had success of some sort.

We're trying to improve our roster and our success level.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yep, instability at coach, inability to find consistent QB play, losing seasons, failure to make the playoffs.... I'm sure he' would LOVE to come here and would just pour his whole heart into it.

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but we got a quarterback, and they got Nicolas Cage.

But none of us can say how good our QB is...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Greg Little is available

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We gotta get that guy!

Oh, wait...

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

With 25+ WRs taken in this 'deep WR' draft, that means a bunch of guys who made NFL rosters last year will likely get cut - solid vets but guys nearing the end of their career/contract, guys still developing, and guys coming off their rookie years who had promise just one year ago.

After the draft, we were able to bring in several UDFAs with potential and pickup two FA vets who may or may not pan out - but who have produced before in the league.

As we move through camps and other teams release players - for a variety of reasons - we will have even more tires to kick.

I think that strategy will reap quicker benefits than would have been reaped by taking the 10th WR on the board when players we rated higher were still available (and then picked).

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Willie, you get a beer!

Someone thinking outside the box! Kudos!! I never thought in those terms. You see teams already dumping positions they drafted. With our cap space, it plays well.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

With 25+ WRs taken in this 'deep WR' draft, that means a bunch of guys who made NFL rosters last year will likely get cut - solid vets but guys nearing the end of their career/contract, guys still developing, and guys coming off their rookie years who had promise just one year ago.

After the draft, we were able to bring in several UDFAs with potential and pickup two FA vets who may or may not pan out - but who have produced before in the league.

As we move through camps and other teams release players - for a variety of reasons - we will have even more tires to kick.

I think that strategy will reap quicker benefits than would have been reaped by taking the 10th WR on the board when players we rated higher were still available (and then picked).

I agree 100%, as this is exactly what I have been saying. Some bigger name receivers may even come loose sooner rather than later, as teams cut them loose out of respect so they have a chance to catch on with another team.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Report: Andre Johnson wants a trade, four teams interested

Andre Johnson has already said he’s not sure he’ll show up for Texans training camp.

But what he really wants is to show up for someone else’s.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Johnson has told the Texans he wants to play elsewhere, and four teams are interested in making a move.

But to this point, the Texans haven’t budged, on money or location.

Johnson has already lost $1 million for not showing up this offseason, and he apparently asked the team for a chance to earn it back this year. As you might imagine, they said no.

For a guy about to turn 33, Johnson still has plenty to offer, but his contract makes a move tougher.

For one, the Texans would have to give in to what amounts to an offseason holdout. Plus, he’s due to make $10 million this year, meaning anyone who would trade for him would have to work out a new deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ams-interested/

The Browns do mysteriously only have 89 players on their roster???

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Hey now!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

The Browns do mysteriously only have 89 players on their roster???

Haha, this thread is going to start reading like the Lebron threads. Let's keep the silliness in the NBA threads.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
But, but...Andre Johnson was just seen buying brown socks at a high end shoe store. #EverythingHasMeaning #ComingToPlayWithManziel #WearingATinfoilHat

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Legend
Legend
D
Honestly... if they seriously do want to win this season, maybe they ought to call up Houston and see what could be done. He's 33 years old and a freak WR. I think he's got more than enough in the tank to continue to ball at a high level.

We could then use next year's top draft pick on whoever the best WR is and let him battle for #1 or take the sure #2 spot beside Andre. As for Josh, hope he enrolls himself into rehab or something. At this point, we can't rely on Josh. Simple as that.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know, I think we have plenty at WR.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
We got plenty of bodies, yes... not much (IMO) in terms of talent and players we could rely on. I like Miles Austin, but he doesn't serve much purpose if he is sidelined with stupid injuries. Travis gets extended time and takes one monster hit and I don't think he can recover.

Burleson, #2 at best. Charles Johnson comes with some hype, but hype here in Cleveland don't mean CRAP lol!

I don't feel too warm and fuzzy when I reflect on our WR core and who we have available.

Legend
Legend
A recent hack into Andre's computer shows that his last google search was "Cleveland real estate in the $5-10 million range".

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
It's HAPPENING!!! RT: A recent hack into Andre's computer shows that his last google search was "Cleveland real estate in the $5-10 million range".

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm with you. We were 4-12 with a phenomenal #1 and an emerging TE. We still have the TE who should be trending upward. This will be a different offense. I'm willing to find out what we have as of now.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Since most of them are veterans with injury histories, I think we pretty much know what we have even though some won't admit it.

Our saving grace could be Hawkins. He will be a good, quick target for short downs with enough illusiveness to break them for some YAC.

But anyone fooling themselves into thinking we're okay at WR? Being weak at WR doesn't equate to being okay at the position. When you go through 3 QB's in one season, you can't say we didn't win because we had a good WR.

Well you can, but I doubt you'll convince many people. Getting weaker at any position doesn't mean you're okay at the position.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

hmm...

a 2nd for Andre Johnson and our 1st for Calvin Johnson?

Yup... I'm still in favor of this idea.
Trade a 1st and a 2nd from next year and get them both.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Since most of them are veterans with injury histories, I think we pretty much know what we have even though some won't admit it.

Our saving grace could be Hawkins. He will be a good, quick target for short downs with enough illusiveness to break them for some YAC.

But anyone fooling themselves into thinking we're okay at WR? Being weak at WR doesn't equate to being okay at the position. When you go through 3 QB's in one season, you can't say we didn't win because we had a good WR.

Well you can, but I doubt you'll convince many people. Getting weaker at any position doesn't mean you're okay at the position.

Just to be clear I said I was willing to find out what we have. I didn't say we were ok.

I looked over the roster. The WRs who are aging AND coming off injury are: Austin and Burleson. Armstrong is older but to my knowledge, uninjured.

In general, young guys should heal differently so, Benjamin and Charles Johnson are in a different category. Hawkins has already displayed no ill effects from recent injiury.

After that we have Chandler Jones, Snead, Taylor Gabriel, Jon Krause, Kenny Shaw and Connor Vernon.

That's 12 WRs to create a receiving corp of 6? No one is deluding themselves into thinking this will be an elite group. But the Patriots have been using a roster of lessor knowns for years. Nobody feared the Seahawks receivers at the start of last season. Other teams find ways to compensate when players go down with injury or suspension. I made the point recently that I do not root against Browns players. If they show that they can't contribute then move on. Right now its an open question.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

I'm with you. We were 4-12 with a phenomenal #1 and an emerging TE. We still have the TE who should be trending upward. This will be a different offense. I'm willing to find out what we have as of now.

And we had crappy Weeden with no run game too.This WR corp is not going to cut it.You got to have serious weapons to keep the defense honest,and these guys are just avg receivers on a ground and pound offense.The Browns have to draft top talent for the position if they want to be elite in the future.

Legend
Legend

This may be a little off the wall but I wonder if both the Texans and the Browns would consider a Josh Gordon for Andre Johnson trade.

A 33 year old for a 23 year old. A guy who has a few years left that can deliver now versus a guy who is a young stud with real issues but has great potential and at the same time the potential for ruin.

Interesting concept really. Risk reward for both teams.

Not sure how that would be perceived by either party.

Gordon you can not help to want his future as a guy who turns his life around. At the same time you have no idea if he can turn his life around.

Johnson at 33 you figure you get a few good years and then a decline in production while he makes a ton of money.

Tough deal to figure out.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What are the best options left to address Wide Receiver?

Link Copied to Clipboard