Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Legend
Legend
D
With all due respect, imo you are overthinking this. Of course you don't trade Gordon for Johnson. San Fran gave up a 6th rounder for Anquan Boldin, who was younger than Johnson. Gordon is a rare talent that costs you nothing to hang onto, and hope he gets his <stuff> together. His upside is huge, and the risk is negatory at this point: the worst has already happened. All thats left to do with Gordon is to see if he can get his life in order. Send a 6th, or a 5th, or even a 4th to Houston for A Johnson, as a bridge to (hopefully) Gordon's eventual return.

Legend
Legend

You really do not know what path Gordon will take. You don't know what type of teammate he is? His history shows his actions. If you want to project his future you look at his past actions.

We are not talking about a second chance here. This guy has been been given every chance to clean up. It was made clear to him by Banner and company he was on thin ice. With all the "help" that has been thrown his way from Haslam on down he has turned a deaf ear. With all the money involved it has made no difference.

Bolden was a major factor in the Ravens Super Bowl season. Johnson is a better receiver. You give up a guy that has proven he can not tolerate being sober for a pro bowler with 2 or 3 years left.

I have serious doubts the Texans under the current Johnson contract would consider a 5th or 6th rounder.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This may be a little off the wall but I wonder if both the Texans and the Browns would consider a Josh Gordon for Andre Johnson trade.

A 33 year old for a 23 year old. A guy who has a few years left that can deliver now versus a guy who is a young stud with real issues but has great potential and at the same time the potential for ruin.

Interesting concept really. Risk reward for both teams.

Not sure how that would be perceived by either party.

Gordon you can not help to want his future as a guy who turns his life around. At the same time you have no idea if he can turn his life around.

Johnson at 33 you figure you get a few good years and then a decline in production while he makes a ton of money.

Tough deal to figure out.

Who cares what the Texans would do, I think that's a dumb move for the Browns to even contemplate.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I have serious doubts the Texans under the current Johnson contract would consider a 5th or 6th rounder.

Then send a 4th round pick. Heck, I wouldn't care if we sent Houston a 3rd round pick. A Johnson is a stud WR on the downside of his career; he could be our best WR while Gordon is gone. All these draft picks have become too iconic to Browns' fans - at some point you use them to address a current need, rather than always being concerned about the future. I'm not suggesting we behave like some modern day George Allen, trading away the future for the present. But the judicious use of draft assets to fill a crucial need is sometimes necessary. I just don't want to give up on a guy who is arguably the 2nd best WR in the game today.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You really do not know what path Gordon will take. You don't know what type of teammate he is? His history shows his actions. If you want to project his future you look at his past actions.

We are not talking about a second chance here. This guy has been been given every chance to clean up. It was made clear to him by Banner and company he was on thin ice. With all the "help" that has been thrown his way from Haslam on down he has turned a deaf ear. With all the money involved it has made no difference.

Bolden was a major factor in the Ravens Super Bowl season. Johnson is a better receiver. You give up a guy that has proven he can not tolerate being sober for a pro bowler with 2 or 3 years left.

I have serious doubts anyone in his right mind would trade for Gordon right now. While Bolden is an aging vet, he IS a sure thing to actually show up and take the field. For the rest of his career Gordon will be a question mark. You can't count on him. Next draft we will HAVE to look at a #1 WR even if Gordon is off suspension. Why? Because at any moment he could F-up again and we'd be in the position we are now. No real threats in the passing game. This team NEEDS a Wr that can catch 80 or more balls and score double digit touchdowns. Hell, we need TWO. If we keep him like so many seem to want, we will still have to proceed as if he isn't here. Make NO plans with him in mind. If he's off suspension next season we still have a huge hole at the #1 wide receiver spot.

I'd love for Bolden to be a Brown. I really wanted us to trade for him five years ago. Of course that made too much sense. But I don't see the Niners trading him for Gordon. Same goes for the Texans. Why give up a sure thing, even if he is getting up there in years and holding out. When the time comes he'll show up and play. Can't say the same thing for Gordon.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't know, I think we have plenty at WR.

Really? Name the WR on the Browns that will catch 80 balls? Score double digit touchdowns? Make the entire league take notice and plan for him? Make D's back off the LOS and open up the running game?

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'd trade a 6th for Josh if the Browns were dumb enough to take it. He may not be on the field, but when he is, he's an all pro. You're pretty unlikely to find an all-pro WR outside of the first 3 rounds.

B
Legend
Legend
B
As a group, we will be fine.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know, I think we have plenty at WR.

Really? Name the WR on the Browns that will catch 80 balls? Score double digit touchdowns? Make the entire league take notice and plan for him? Make D's back off the LOS and open up the running game?

Jordan Cameron.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Brandon Marshall, Fitzgerald, Dez, Gordon, Megatron and Andre Johnson all have one thing in common with me. I was sitting at home watching the playoffs just like they were. Its nice to have the great wide receiver but it is the one position you can get away with functional more than any other. If they can Catch Johny will buy them time to get open. If they can catch hoyer gets rid of the ball so quick it makes it hard for the defence to cover.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Care to expound on that one?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Care to expound on that one?

Between Armstrong, Burelson, and Auston, we will make up much of Gordons stats.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

I'd rather go with our young core than sell the farm for Johnson or anyone else that's unhappy. Not like they'll want to come here anyway. Just say no to aging WRs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hawkins Burelson and Austin is the most intriguing group we have had in some time.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
If we could get Johnson for something like a 3rd and a 5th which i doubt we could i would do it in a heartbeat. He is 33......i dont think he is worth anything more then a 3rd....io would be shocked if we offered a 2nd....

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
V
Legend
Legend
V
How many catches did Armstrong, Burrleson, and Austin have last year?

Put it this way..........I don't play Fantasy Football, but if I did, I would spend a pretty high pick on Jordan Cameron.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Put it this way..........I don't play Fantasy Football, but if I did, I would spend a pretty high pick on Jordan Cameron.

I don't know how many catches they had, and don't really care. We aren't going to go from 80 catches and 11 TDs, or whatever it was with Gordon to 20 catches and 1 TD.

No doubt, Jordon is going to be huge. He will be our #1 receiver much like Ozzie was.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
j/c

So let me make an educated guess at our WR corps (barring any FA pickup and/or trade obviously)

Miles Austin
Nate Burleson
Andrew Hawkins
Anthony Armstrong
Travis Benjamin
Charles Johnson

Does this look about right?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I guess that looks about right without pulling up the roster.

Before we go any further, who out there that is available is going to be better than Gordon? There isn't. Miles Austin has as good a shot of replacing Gordons numbers as Andre Johnson.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
I personally like the kid we picked up as an UDFA, Chandler Jones from San Jose State.

He is a smaller receiver, but he ran a sub 4.4 40 and he catches everything thrown his way. I'm not sure how polished he is, but I love the tape from the Minnesota game last year.

I know Josh Gordon is a talent and WE WILL MISS HIM, but you cannot have selfish players on your team. They are stat-mongers who only care about I and ME. I think good quarterback play can more than make up for losing a talent like Gordon's.

JMHO

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

j/c

So let me make an educated guess at our WR corps (barring any FA pickup and/or trade obviously)

Miles Austin
Nate Burleson
Andrew Hawkins
Anthony Armstrong
Travis Benjamin
Charles Johnson

I think the four who are locks to make the roster are Miles Austin, Andrew Hawkins, Travis Benjamin and Nate Burleson.

I think the other 2 spots are WIDE OPEN.

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Miles Austin
Nate Burleson
Andrew Hawkins
Anthony Armstrong
Travis Benjamin
Charles Johnson

I think the four who are locks to make the roster are Miles Austin, Andrew Hawkins, Travis Benjamin and Nate Burleson.

Travis Benjamin might be a injury casualty. as far as I know he still is not fully recovered?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I was about to rip on Benjamin for being 5'10''.

Then I realized Hawkins is 5'7''

In my opinion Hawkins is the only WR likely to make a big difference. If Austin still has any gas in the tank he will be solid. Everyone else is very shaky and questionable to me. Not having Gordon pretty much tanks this unit down from to below average.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Miles Austin
Nate Burleson
Andrew Hawkins
Anthony Armstrong
Travis Benjamin
Charles Johnson

Travis Benjamin might be a injury casualty. as far as I know he still is not fully recovered?

The last thing I heard about him (about 2 or 3 weeks ago) was pretty much what you said, he's not fully recovered and probably would not be ready to go at the start of the regular season (sighs).

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm not really worried about how many catches each guy had last year, because they were in different circumstances entirely last year.

My biggest concerns is that almost all of our top WRs, outside of Gordon, were hurt last year. Burleson had the car accident. Austin had the hamstring. Benjamin tore up his knee. Hawkins only played 8 games. Johnson had a knee.

That is a lot of recovery we need to have take place,

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

Nate Ulrich &#8207;@NateUlrichABJ · 10m
Jimmy Haslam's Pilot Flying J announces it has reached agreement with government & will not be prosecuted, provided it meets the terms.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

Nate Ulrich &#8207;@NateUlrichABJ · 10m
Jimmy Haslam's Pilot Flying J announces it has reached agreement with government & will not be prosecuted, provided it meets the terms.

LOL I called this a year ago Oh well..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not really worried about how many catches each guy had last year, because they were in different circumstances entirely last year.

My biggest concerns is that almost all of our top WRs, outside of Gordon, were hurt last year. Burleson had the car accident. Austin had the hamstring. Benjamin tore up his knee. Hawkins only played 8 games. Johnson had a knee.

That is a lot of recovery we need to have take place,

Uhmmm.........that was pretty much my point when I questioned Peen and others when they said our WRs would be fine? What freaking proof is there of that?

Let me answer for you. There is no proof. Austin and Burrelson were out of a job. Hawkins is slot receiver. The other guy has been cut by more than one team. How can anyone say they will replace Gordon's productivity? They can't. It's blind homerism that most won't question because they want it to be true. The same thing can be said of our running game. You guys set yourself up for disappointment.

Legend
Legend
I still look for the Browns to pick up another WR before the season starts.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Me too.

Legend
Legend
Has anyone said any of our WRs have come in and replace Gordons production? No.

I think of it like Moneyball, if we can get 3 guys to come in and combine for what Gordon has, then well be fine, and anything else we get, will be more than we had last year, cause Gordon was pretty much it..

I see our Run game as being 10x better, so if production wise we can get the same basic stats, well be better as an offense.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree, I think Hawkins is the only threat as of now, and he is a slot guy. I think teams will play to take him out of the game, and make the others beat them. The only true threat I see as of now is Cameron.

But, training camp could produce a surprise. I am really interested in Johnson, and how they use Benjamin. Time will tell, who will be the deep threat that will take the pressure off the other guys.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I think Johnson is an interesting prospect.

I was just busting some balls over the "we'll be fine" comments. There really is no evidence that our WRs will produce. It's just wishful thinking at this point. I am NOT saying they won't produce, but I AM saying that we have no evidence to make such a prediction.

Legend
Legend
Agreed on that one for sure.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Yeah, I think Johnson is an interesting prospect.

I was just busting some balls over the "we'll be fine" comments. There really is no evidence that our WRs will produce. It's just wishful thinking at this point. I am NOT saying they won't produce, but I AM saying that we have no evidence to make such a prediction.

I think that sums up my feelings on the matter nicely.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Johnson could be a diamond in the rough. Come preseason, if he's playing, I will be all keeping an eye on him specifically. Green Bay seemed sad to see the kid go.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Not busting me up. Miles Austin has been a top player in the league providing top numbers. You say he has a injury history yet you don't take in to account Gordons drug history.

I guess where I am comming from is does it really matter why a person misses games? At least from a pure stat standpoint.

People keep comparing our new guys to Gordon like Gordon can still play and we aren't going to play him.

Gordon is going to give us ZERO stats this year. I can guarantee you I could put up better numbers than Josh Gordon this year. I know I could catch at least 1 ball and gain 1 yard minimum.. 100% improvement over what we will get out of him.....so maybe you just need to buy me a few shots of a fine Tennessee Mash, a big steak, sit back and enjoy some stories for a few hours, then maybe smoke a Cuban stogie over a brandy or cognac, then shake my hand.

Yep, that's what needs to happen.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bro, I am not counting on Gordon for anything other than getting into more trouble and watching his minions defend him. If you check the posts from the past, you will see I NEVER trusted the guy.

I am simply saying that we can not honestly proclaim that these wannabes, stiffs, and has-beens are going to put up the same numbers Gordon put up.

Let this one go, bro.

B
Legend
Legend
B
They aren't going to put up the same numbers. Very few people in the league could, and certainly not anybody "available".

We don't disagree there. My only point is we have done as well as possible in replacing him with viable options, so there isn't any sense in worrying about the numbers that can't be replaced.

Replace them on the ground.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Cleveland Browns Training Camp 2014: WR Preview, Part 1 (Primary Receivers)

our training camp preview for the Cleveland Browns wide receivers beings today, and it gets a bit tricky to diagnose the position due to the Josh Gordon situation. Another interesting note: last year, the four receivers listed in Part 1 of our WR Preview had an average age of 24 years old. This year, the top four receivers listed below have an average age of 28 years old. Today's preview looks at the players who are expected to be in the mix for significant playing time in 2014.

1. JOSH GORDON - STATUS UNKNOWN

The 2013 season was an up-and-down ride for Josh Gordon, and it only continued into 2014. Last year, Gordon was suspended for the first two games of the regular season due to substance abuse. Heavy rumors were initiated that the Browns' front office -- then consisting of Joe Banner and Michael Lombardi -- were trying to trade Gordon, in fear that he would get in trouble again and face banishment from the league.

There were no takers for their asking price, which most fans rejoiced in because we did not want to let go of a player with Gordon's potential. No one could have seen just how quickly Gordon would transform into an elite talent, though. In just 14 games, Gordon led the NFL with 87 catches for 1,646 yards receiving and 9 touchdowns.

The pinnacle stretch of Gordon's career came in a three-week span against the Steelers, Jaguars, and Patriots. During that stretch, he had two straight 200-yard receiving games, the first receiver in NFL history to accomplish such a feat. The three-game stretch saw him post the following stats: 31 catches for 649 yards and 4 touchdowns. The most talked about play was the breakaway speed he showed against Patriots CB Aqib Talib.

Gordon would undoubtedly make the receivers around him better, but he has an appeal hearing in late-July, where he likely faces a suspension. It could even be a one-year ban. The waiting process has made it very difficult on the Browns' coaching staff because he really is irreplaceable. Yes, Gordon needs to sort out his personal life, but selfishly, I want to see Gordon playing in a Browns uniform this season. It still makes no sense to cut him, though, so I hope the Browns don't choose to go down that path.

Job Security: Suspension Pending
Final Roster Odds: Suspension Pending

2. ANDREW HAWKINS - STARTING / SLOT WIDE RECEIVER

Whether Gordon plays or not, one of the best and boldest moves made across the NFL this offseason came when Browns GM Ray Farmer made just the right type of offer to Andrew Hawkins to "steal" him away from the division rival Cincinnati Bengals.

Hawkins is a small guy at 5-7, but he's probably one of the quickest guys you'll see in the NFL in terms of faking out defenders. If you don't believe me, check out this video of his 1-on-1 skills with the Bengals. There is also this video of him in live game action.

If Hawkins is so good, then why let him go? Because of circumstance and great timing by the Browns. Hawkins went undrafted in 2008, but had a workout with the Cleveland Browns. Cleveland didn't sign him, and Hawkins went off to the CFL. He resurfaced in the NFL again in 2011 with the Bengals. In 2012, Hawkins was on the rise with a solid season. Unfortunately, his decline was derailed in 2013 with an injury that forced him to miss the first half of the season. While he was out of action, all of the Bengals' draft pick receivers started to shine, including A.J. Green, Marvin Jones, and Mohamed Sanu. They had also already committed to a two-tight end tandem of Jermaine Gresham and Tyler Eifert. To an extent, running back Giovani Benard did some of the "waterbug" type of duties that Hawkins would have. The Bengals liked Hawkins, but they rode the momentum of the players who were healthy the first half of the year.

This offseason, the Browns made their offer sheet lucrative enough that the Bengals couldn't justify matching for a player who would probably be listed as the No. 4 receiver on their depth chart heading into training camp. Hawkins has been active on social media and was impressive in all of the team's offseason programs thus far. If anyone is bound to break out as the new fan favorite in 2014, it'll be this guy.

Job Security: A+ (to be a top three receiver, either in the slot or the outside)
Final Roster Odds: 100%

3. NATE BURLESON - COMPETING TO BE A STARTING WIDE RECEIVER

Nate Burleson will be entering his 12th season in the NFL. He began his career as a third-round draft pick by the Minnesota Vikings in 2003. He played there for three seasons before becoming a members of the Seattle Seahawks from 2006-2009. From 2010-2013, he was with the Lions, usually as the No. 2 receiver opposite of WR Calvin Johnson.

While Burleson played second-fiddle to Johnson, he might be asked to be the Browns No. 1 receiver this year if Gordon is out. He's still recovering from the injuries to his arm, but is expected to be ready for the start of training camp. While I think there is room for both Burleson and Miles Austin on the roster, I am giving Burleson the slight edge because the Browns signed him well prior to the draft. It wasn't until after the Gordon news became public that Cleveland latched on to several other veteran receivers, including Austin.

Don't let the pizza story distort your opinion of Burleson. He's always been known as a very media-friendly guy and he does his job well as a receiver, plain and simple. The issue won't be Burleson's lack of talent, it'll be whether he is in the right role. As a contributing receiver, he's a nice option. As the No. 1 receiver? That's not going to get defenses fretting very much, but that's not his fault.

Job Security: B+ (assuming Gordon isn't available)
Final Roster Odds: 90% (assuming Gordon isn't available)

4. MILES AUSTIN - COMPETING TO BE A STARTING WIDE RECEIVER

"What's that? Another hamstring injury?"

In 2011, Miles Austin pulled his hamstring, forcing him to only play in 10 games. He returned to play 16 games in 2012, but last season, a hamstring injury plagued him again. Austin started 8 games and played in 11, but was a non-factor on offense, notching 24 catches for 244 yards all year.

The Browns have kept Austin out of most of their offseason programs to date because they don't want him to risk straining it again. He's expected to give-it-a-go once training camp begins, but how confident are we that his hamstring won't just pop again? That's the reason he's not rated higher here on the Browns' depth chart.

When Austin is healthy, he's a borderline No. 1 receiver, although certainly more fit to be a No. 2 receiver. In the three seasons Austin was healthy enough to play in all 16 games with the Cowboys -- 2009, 2010, and 2012 -- he averaged 1,101 yards and 8 touchdowns per season. Getting that version of Austin in 2014 would be terrific, but can he still do it at 30 years old with a hamstring that consistently plagues him?

Job Security: B (assuming Gordon isn't available)
Final Roster Odds: 90% (assuming Gordon isn't available)

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/7/11/5...-part-1-primary

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What are the best options left to address Wide Receiver?

Link Copied to Clipboard