Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I feel that Austin, Burleson, and Hawkins as a group can put up the same numbers as a unit as Little, Gordon and Bess. This years group appears to to be much better balanced, maybe not as much talent on one player ( Gordon ), but as a group they are capable of being as good as. if a not a better overall unit than last years receivers.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am simply saying that we can not honestly proclaim that these wannabes, stiffs, and has-beens are going to put up the same numbers Gordon put up.

And that's a valid point because they won't... If Gordon was coming back I would bet that he wouldn't put up those numbers again either. He had the best season of any WR for the last 5 years not named Calvin Johnson..

The question is not can we find one guy to catch us 1600 yards worth of passes.. the question is can we find a group of guys to catch us over 4,000 yards of passes and do it in such a way that we win more games...

So while I still have my questions about our WR corps, saying they "will be fine" doesn't necessarily mean that there is a 1600 yard guy in there somewhere... there doesn't have to be. The Seahawks won the Super Bowl in dominant fashion and their most productive WR had less than 900 yards...

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I feel that Austin, Burleson, and Hawkins as a group can put up the same numbers as a unit as Little, Gordon and Bess. This years group appears to to be much better balanced, maybe not as much talent on one player ( Gordon ), but as a group they are capable of being as good as. if a not a better overall unit than last years receivers.

There you go. That's a good way to look at it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I will say that I concur with Halfback's assessment. I hope this doesn't mean that his has to rethink his position.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I will say that I concur with Halfback's assessment. I hope this doesn't mean that his has to rethink his position.

Great reasoning, guys. I told you nicely to let it go, but you didn't get the hint..........so, here goes:

Gordon: 87 receptions---1646 yards---9 TDS
Bess: 42 receptions---362 yards---2 TDS
Little: 41 receptions---465 yards---2 TDS

Now, your Big Three:

Burrleson: 39 receptions---455 yards---1 TD
Hawkins: 12 receptions---199 yards---0 TDS
Austin: 24 receptions---244 yards---0 TDS

Let me do the math for you:

Last year's group:
170 receptions---2473 yards---13 TDS

This year's group:
76 receptions---898 yards---1 TD

Yeah, I can see why you guys think this group is going to be as good, or even better, than last year's group. Sound deductive reasoning, fellas.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Again.....how many passes on a NFL field is Gordon going to catch....this year, or maybe ever?

Again, you and others keep telling me we are going to lose big numbers when I maintain he wasn't going to give us crap.

Last year is last year. That doesn't matter.

What do you think Gordons numbers project out for this year?? Those are the numbers that matter and need be replaced.

I say he was going to catch 0 passes.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I usually never do this but. I am going to go out on a limb and say our top three WR get between 160 and 170 receptions this year with 2300 yards and 12 TD's

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Gordon caught 54% of passes thrown his way

little caught 41% of passes thrown his way

bess caught 48% of passes thrown his way

Burrleson caught 71% of passes thrown his way

Hawkins caught 71% of passes thrown his way

Austin caught 48% of passes thrown his way

well I wont say those 3 are a upgrade but apparently they can at least catch the ball when they are in games.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
1st String
1st String
Once again. A good QB and no one to throw to.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Are all you guys freaking serious?

People make outlandish claims and when I check them, they--and others--turn the argument around.

Whatever guys..........You win! We have a great WR corps. Logic and reason be dammed.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Are all you guys freaking serious?

People make outlandish claims and when I check them, they--and others--turn the argument around.

Whatever guys..........You win! We have a great WR corps. Logic and reason be dammed.

so let me see. I simply point out that we brought in a couple of players who catch every thing thrown there way and got rid of 2 players that cannot catch a ball and I am making outlandish claims? there is something wrong with you lol

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Vers, you argue like my wife...

Wife: Which dress do you like, the blue one or the green one?
Me: I like the blue one.
Wife: Why do you hate the green one?

Nobody.. NOBODY.. NOBODY....has said our WR corps is great. Yet somehow, in your mind, saying they aren't as depleted as people think.. or that they should be ok until better options become available... or that with consistent QB play they could be serviceable.... is somehow reported back, by you, as saying they are great...

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Well. that's one way of looking at it

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
V
Legend
Legend
V
DC, you argue like a guy who has his mind made up about certain posters and doesn't take the time to follow what was said.

This all started w/Peen saying: as a group we will be fine. I asked him to expound on it. He said Armstrong, Burrelson, and Austin would make up most of Gordon's numbers. There was additional talk of how how those three would have better numbers than Gordon, Little, and Bess had last year.

I posted the EXACT NUMBERS [FACTUAL] FOR EACH OF PLAYER LAST YEAR. THE NUMBERS WERE NOT CLOSE. GORDON, LITTLE, AND BESS FAR OUTPRODUCED AUSTIN, BURRELSON, AND ARMSTRONG!!!! THAT IS A FACT!!!!

People keep turning the argument around until they find a quote to belittle. You did the same thing.

Btw----------you don't argue like my wife. She isn't that lame!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Nobody.. NOBODY.. NOBODY....has said our WR corps is great. Yet somehow, in your mind, saying they aren't as depleted as people think.. or that they should be ok until better options become available... or that with consistent QB play they could be serviceable.... is somehow reported back, by you, as saying they are great...

Not only is that funny...but it fits like a glove. You could insert OL, FO, QB and more in place of WR as well and still be spot on.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Actually If you read into the posts, most people are taking for granted they the WR corps isn't depleted, that they will be OK, and that with consistent QB play they will be serviceable.

Now; IMHO, we don't have a top 10 QB in our roster, so saying consistent QB play is a possibility to WR production is a paradox, because without WR production our QB's will never be consistent.

Without a #1 WR, DB's will be in 1 vs1 coverage, stacking 8 in the box and pressuring our rookie QB and leading up to inconsistent QB play.

We have been there and done that, and the result were miserable. FO should have drafted a WR, no excuses.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Best option for WR? This year? Line up Guards at the position and run every down....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
We should check, we may be married to the same woman LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Santonio Holmes has drawn interest from the Browns.

That's in addition to the Bears, who worked Holmes out on Tuesday. It's not surprising, as the Browns' receiver corps is perhaps the thinnest in the league. The apparent newfound interest in Holmes comes after he spent nearly five months on the street without so much as drawing a visit. Holmes' attitude has caught up with him, though he's trending toward having a Week 1 roster spot.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Santonio Holmes has drawn interest from the Browns.

That's in addition to the Bears, who worked Holmes out on Tuesday. It's not surprising, as the Browns' receiver corps is perhaps the thinnest in the league. The apparent newfound interest in Holmes comes after he spent nearly five months on the street without so much as drawing a visit. Holmes' attitude has caught up with him, though he's trending toward having a Week 1 roster spot.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Dunno how I feel about Santonio. The guy's always been a problem. In Pitt and in NY. I'm not sure our first year head coach, QBs without a lot of "clout", and young OC would be able to handle Santonio.

I think it's worth the risk though, he acts up, cut him or suspend him. And not getting signed for this long might be good for him. Guy's got a load of talent. But as I said, if we were going to grab a jerk WR, why wouldn't we have traded that 4th rounder for Stevie Johnson?

One thing I've seen with the Jets is that Santonio can be a trouble maker with a T

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
I don't want anything to do with Holmes.

Pass.

No thanks.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't think our coaches would have any problems dealing with Holmes, but I still wouldn't want him around the other players. And he has been unproductive.

Legend
Legend
That sums up my thoughts as well. No thanks.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
MKC (take it FWIW) is reporting the Browns have no interest in Holmes.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

MKC (take it FWIW) is reporting the Browns have no interest in Holmes.

So we're signing him then?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He must already have a locker and uniform number.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc

we all are like a monkey and a football... scan the landscape and clearly there is only one option at WR:

Bribe the arbitrator in the JG case.

Our owner may be able to help.

Last edited by texaslostdawg; 08/06/14 10:07 AM.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

jc

we all are like a monkey and a football... scan the landscape and clearly there is only one option at WR:

Bribe the arbitrator in the JG case.

Our owner may be able to help.

No, it's the Cavs owner that bribes league officials

D
Legend
Legend
D
Mary kay:

Quote:

Hearing that the #Browns are not interested in troubled WR Santonio Holmes.

This is great if true. I don't want to bring in yet another troubled WR. We've had, and have, enough of them. I'd avoid Holmes like the plague.

If Rex doesn't want to put up with you, then not sure who will lol!

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Best options at wide receiver??

Gary Collins???

Sorry to show my age like that.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Best options at wide receiver??

Gary Collins???

Sorry to show my age like that.

For those of you who don't know, here's a quick bio:

"The Browns chose Collins with the fourth draft pick in 1962 and immediately made him the starting punter, while also using him as a reserve for veteran receiver Ray Renfro. In 1963, he moved into the starting lineup and led the team with 43 receptions and teamed with quarterback Frank Ryan to pace the league with 13 touchdowns catches. The latter mark broke a team record of nine, established by Dante Lavelli in 1947.

The following year, rookie Paul Warfield became Ryan's top receiver, but Collins developed a knack for coming through in the clutch. The first instance came in the season's second game, when he caught a fourth down pass from Ryan to set up a go-ahead touchdown against the St. Louis Cardinals. Saving the best for last, Collins sparkled in the 1964 NFL championship game, when he was on the receiving end of three touchdown passes from Ryan and won the game's Most Valuable Player award in the 27-0 upset over the Baltimore Colts."

The rest is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Collins_(American_football)

Damn. 1964. A fifty-year drought. Damn.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I would really like to see us bring in Santonio Holmes. I think Pettine is tough enough to handle the guy.

Yes, he has had some issues in the past and he hasn't performed well recently, but he is a true talent that isn't old. He won the Super Bowl w/a magnificent catch. He is a true talent that would bring much needed athleticism to a sorry group of receivers [if Gordon gets suspended] in Cleveland.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anybody know if Pettine's time with the Jets overlapped with Holmes' time there?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
For 3 seasons. I don't want any part of Holmes and I doubt Pettine wants any as well.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

For 3 seasons. I don't want any part of Holmes and I doubt Pettine wants any as well.

No offense, but when you guys say stuff like this like it is so authoritative, well..........I just have to question the validity of it, especially when you have been silent when people are acting like our new WR corps is going to be so good.

Holmes sucks.

Burlesons and Austin are studs.

Hmmmmmm

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

No offense, but when you guys say stuff like this like it is so authoritative, well..........I just have to question the validity of it, especially when you have been silent when people are acting like our new WR corps is going to be so good.

Holmes sucks.

Burlesons and Austin are studs.

Hmmmmmm

I don't disagree with your bottom statement. I really don't see our WR corp doing anything this year and Holmes is extremely talented. However, Pettine has been reported as a "no-nonsense" kinda guy and it would be rather shocking to see him sign the personification of nonsense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I am sure Farmer will talk to Pettine 1st, especially given their time together with the jets. If we sign Holmes, I am sure it would be with Pettine's blessing and that Pettine knows what he would be getting into.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Look................you are probably right and I am wrong. There is very little chance that we sign Holmes, so I am not calling you out. Just discussing.........

I was a coach similar to Pettine in the fact of having the ability to challenge guys while not losing them. If I know Pettine, a guy like Holmes would be a personal challenge to straighten out. And if he can't do it during camp, then you cut him.

What's to lose?

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Santonio Holmes has drawn interest from the Browns. ...

So, that DOES put Gary Collins back in the running then??

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Look................you are probably right and I am wrong. There is very little chance that we sign Holmes, so I am not calling you out. Just discussing.........

I was a coach similar to Pettine in the fact of having the ability to challenge guys while not losing them. If I know Pettine, a guy like Holmes would be a personal challenge to straighten out. And if he can't do it during camp, then you cut him.

What's to lose?

I'm sorry if my tone is unsettling. My voice in papers have always been over-the-top and argumentative, even when I don't mean to be. I blame it on the English Education in this country that wants you to make strong statements. I'm really not this way.

I think there's plenty of stuff to lose in signing Santonio. I'll just list a few.

• Bad Influence - Historically he's been a bad influence.
  • Attention - Coaches may have to take more time in explaining things to him or other WR's because he has a history of goofing off IIRC.
  • Time - He could be robbing the coaches of their time to develop other players if it doesn't work out. He could also be robbing players of their time to be developed if it doesn't work out.

All in all, if he signs here, that's great. Pettine has worked with him before and he feels like he can get a handle on him. I just remain doubtful that Pettine would sign him.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What are the best options left to address Wide Receiver?

Link Copied to Clipboard