Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

This kid isn't starting CB material either and isn't well suited for ST's.

If you're grading 4th rounders off who is a day 1 starter then most of them are going to fail.

You pick at this point for who you think can develop to fit your system, you aren't finding a day 1 starting WR here or else Farmer would've taken them.

Desir has every physical tool you want in the new breed of NFL CB's, he's raw but Pettine has done fantastic in player development everywhere he has been.

Desir is a hard worker and has great instincts, you put him with someone like Pettine and he is going to be a good one.

You're right he isn't gonna start, probably not at all this year, but down the line this kid will be a good one.

Legend
Legend
I think that it's obvious that we are going to wait for receiver cuts, which could start at any time, especially given the sheer number of receivers taken in this draft.

I think that we want a veteran guy to work with a rookie QB, if indeed he winds up starting.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Pettine also uses a lot of different personnel on defense.

I remember a game where the Jets played the Peyton Manning Colts, I think they used seven corners in the game (or something along those lines).

I can't speak to that. I like that we have lots of quality DBs and pass defending linebackers. He also likes to blitz a lot including using defensive backs.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I think that it's obvious that we are going to wait for receiver cuts, which could start at any time, especially given the sheer number of receivers taken in this draft.

I think that we want a veteran guy to work with a rookie QB, if indeed he winds up starting.

Why would they start at any time? I think teams have already gone through the process to meet the cap, so I don't understand why guys wouldn't be going to camp and start getting cut in July/August.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Why would they start at any time? I think teams have already gone through the process to meet the cap, so I don't understand why guys wouldn't be going to camp and start getting cut in July/August.

Yeah, I don't expect any big wave of cuts until the end of summer.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

That's a GREAT plan! Bring them in a few weeks before the regular season, teach them the entire playbook in a few weeks and BAM! We're set! That gives them tons of time to gain continuity with your QB!

Yea, that's the ticket!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Some teams are going to have reporting bonuses for trainign camp to be paid ...... some will decide to allow a respected veteran who they know won't make their team the opportunity to go find a job. We could have hung onto DQ, for example, for a few more days and hope we could trade him ....... but instead we let him go earlier than we had to, and before free agency opened, and let him get a jump on the rest.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Farmer sticking to his draft board and not reaching or panicking. Outstanding job so far!!!!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, let other teams decide who willstart at WR for us.

At least that should net us the best UDFA WRs and there should be some talent around even there.

EJ Gaines as a FS-convert would have been a nice pick too here, oh well, but good thing we got an upgrade at CB4, now we can cut last year's3rd rounder McFadden instead of developing him

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
It's not like we were going to fill all of our holes or compete for a playoff spot this year, with or without Gordon.

Why burn down the house to stay warm for a day?

WR's are going very cheaply right now. No need to panic in May.

P
Legend
Legend
P
People act as though there weren't any options there when there were. They seem to intent on upholding this group rather than be objective.

We've seen how this pans out without legit, WR's on this team for years. To enter this draft knowing Gordon was out and Burlson had a broken arm, then totally ignoring WR was an obvious mistake. And nothing anyone can say will change that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Project, that won't contribute as a rook, might not even suit up because he's not a ST.

Luxury developmental pick while we need starters at WR

What's the difference, it's not like they would have or even could have found a guy to replace Gordon this late in the draft..

The day to do that was either Thursday or Friday..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
No reason to have good WR's to help your new QB develop.

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
What receiver would you have selected that would be better than the ones currently slated to start?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
PDR ; I had to run some errands today and had the Car radio on here on the Lake .. Sounds like we might as well call Sundays off according to a bunch of the fans and the talk media ..

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

What receiver would you have selected that would be better than the ones currently slated to start?

It's not just about today. It's about the entire draft.

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Quote:

Further, in the late 4th round ..... if I can get a guy who could start one day ..... I take him ... especially at CB.

Start day one for what team? For the Chargers, yeah... but not for the Browns. Gilbert, Haden, Skrine... and Desir is going to start?

They said start one day not day one......reading rocks

Legend
Legend
I do think that we'll look for a veteran WR, either through other teams cuts, or through a trade. I'm going to try and remain calm about it for now.

I would have taken Lee at 35. I thought that he could step in and start from day 1. However, the Browns brain trust disagreed, and we took a Guard instead. I'm still not happy about that, especially give the value other teams have found at Guard through the 3rd and 4th rounds. I think we took the Guard way too early. Hopefully he becomes a Pro Bowler ... because I think we made a huge mistake there.

However, I was thrilled with the deal to trade down from 4, and think that we robbed the Bills blind on that one. I love the Gilbert pick, Being able to cover receivers takes a defense from good to elite, We should be able to cover opposing receivers with the CBs we carries over, and added today, I wanted to add 2 big corners, and we did just that. I am thrilled there.

I like about half of this draft, and dislike about half. I like Gilbert, West, and Desir, am tirn on Manziel, but we needed a QB, and he is the biggest potential boom. (and bust) While I believe that Bitonio will be a good player, I don't like the value there, and I really disliked the pick of Kirksey.

We'll see how it all turns out. Hopefully I am really wrong about some of the ones I don't like.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

HUGE difference between a pot head and a crack head Peen.

One has a high motor, but is offsides alot...and other is tired and hungry all the time?

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Bitonio over Lee and even Matthews was the biggest value mistake. Bitonio isn 't even a lock to work out at G. He won't be much better than the vets we have as a rook, because he's a conversion player from a smaller School. Otoh, Lee would be a clear cut upgrade from day 1 to what we have.

That's my problem with this draft class. Again way too much future picking, instead of trying to improve the team for the upcoming season. We're always rebuilding and I'm sick of it

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Bitonio isn't a future pick he's a day one starter and if you don't think hes an instant upgrade from our garbage OG situation last year you're crazy.

Legend
Legend
Lol whoops

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I'm still not happy about that, especially give the value other teams have found at Guard through the 3rd and 4th rounds.

You could also argue that the dominant teams in the league heave invested heavily at guard.

Looking at the conference championship games from last year, the Seahawks, 49ers and Patriots all had starting guards they'd invested a first in. Denver had a second rounder.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Aside from the Gordon thing, I love this draft. Love this pick, big tough, physical players and an electric QB. If nothing else we swung for he fences.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
jc

Maybe the darn defense can score our points too because at this point they will have to....

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Aside from the Gordon thing, I love this draft. Love this pick, big tough, physical players and an electric QB. If nothing else we swung for he fences.

Yup if not for Gordon this weekend would be going perfectly.

Legend
Legend
Well, this kid had 25 INT in his college career ...... so he can catch it and turn the ball over.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Copying Seattle.

Heavy run, elusive QB, strong D and no-name WRs.

Ding...Ding...Ding! We have a winning post here!!!! Give this person a beer!

Pierre Desire is raw. I can seem Pettine moving this guy to FS.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Bitonio isn't a future pick he's a day one starter and if you don't think hes an instant upgrade from our garbage OG situation last year you're crazy.

Truth is, I like the pick but I would have been very happy with Jordan Matthews too. I know that the front office has a plan and they're sticking to it.

Pettine said that to win in the AFC North, the Browns would need to run the ball and stop the run.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Truth is, I like the pick but I would have been very happy with Jordan Matthews too. I know that the front office has a plan and they're sticking to it.

Pettine said that to win in the AFC North, the Browns would need to run the ball and stop the run.

I agree with that statement. Even though the game has changed to a passing game. The fundimentals still remain run the ball and stop the run first.

Cut the down and distance on first down opens the play book on offense and puts the defense on their heels.

Put the offense in 2nd and 3rd and long situations man up on the outisde and release the pass rush.

When you win at the line of scrimmage you control the time of possession and turn over battle. That is what Pittisburg and Baltimore has done to us for well over a decade.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... the Browns would need to run the ball...

Aha! The key words, the thought process/plan that likely drove the pick. Easier to bandaid the potential hole at WR, than run the ball behind the OL as it was constructed. Anybody remember us successfully running the ball the past two years?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Big corner. A lot of upside.

He's a good one and went lower thn he should have.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You Never have enough good CB's ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

We've seen how this pans out without legit, WR's on this team for years.

I have nothing to argue about but would like to change your statement to: We've seen how this pans out without legit, QB's on this team for years.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Quote:

I guess this means that Skrine will not be on the roster next year? IDK. I was surprised we picked up another corner.

Why? Defensive head coaches usually love having extra CBs to work with. They become the backbone of special teams units, and they know that they are one injury away from starting Chris Owens or Ralph Brown unless they have great depth.

I had us taking 2 CB just for those reasons.

That makes sense. Seemed to work well for Seattle.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Aha! The key words, the thought process/plan that likely drove the pick. Easier to bandaid the potential hole at WR, than run the ball behind the OL as it was constructed. Anybody remember us successfully running the ball the past two years?

The Browns don't have imbeciles coaching the team anymore. Shanahan was there in DC when they selected Alfred Morris. That selection seems to have worked for them. They ran the ball effectively.

Also, the Browns drafted 6 players, 3 on each side of the ball. On offense, they selected a very good lineman with Bitonio. He'll help to secure the line and he can play either inside (G) or outside (T).

Tate should be a very good RB and if he needs a breather, Terrance West should be a good compliment back.

There was so much clamor for a QB (and the team needed one). Many had Manziel as the #1 QB in the draft and expected the Browns to take him at #4.

The two corners that the Browns drafted are very nice ones and give flexibility. We're not sure whether we'll be able to retain Haden (or Skrine for that matter) after next season and having these two are pretty darn good options. If we can resign Haden, having him paired with Gilbert should be seen as a strength and having Desir in there on nickel packages and either Skrine or McFadden in there on dime packages shouldn't cause any fan any trepidation whatsoever.

Then, adding a LB to play inside next to Dansby who can also cover is phenomenal. I love it!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

That's a GREAT plan! Bring them in a few weeks before the regular season, teach them the entire playbook in a few weeks and BAM! We're set! That gives them tons of time to gain continuity with your QB!

Yea, that's the ticket!

Pit.....quit moaning like a little punk.

We go back long enough you know I don't think of you as a punk......just saying....cowboy up.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Browns don't have imbeciles coaching the team anymore. Shanahan was there in DC when they selected Alfred Morris. That selection seems to have worked for them. They ran the ball effectively.

Also, the Browns drafted 6 players, 3 on each side of the ball. On offense, they selected a very good lineman with Bitonio. He'll help to secure the line and he can play either inside (G) or outside (T).

Tate should be a very good RB and if he needs a breather, Terrance West should be a good compliment back.

There was so much clamor for a QB (and the team needed one). Many had Manziel as the #1 QB in the draft and expected the Browns to take him at #4.

The two corners that the Browns drafted are very nice ones and give flexibility. We're not sure whether we'll be able to retain Haden (or Skrine for that matter) after next season and having these two are pretty darn good options. If we can resign Haden, having him paired with Gilbert should be seen as a strength and having Desir in there on nickel packages and either Skrine or McFadden in there on dime packages shouldn't cause any fan any trepidation whatsoever.

Then, adding a LB to play inside next to Dansby who can also cover is phenomenal. I love it!

So do I! I was actually agreeing with your post. Perhaps you mis-read it (or I didn't word it properly)...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

The draft started off w/so much promise, but as time went on, Farmer's and Pettine's inexperience really showed and the end results are extremely disappointing.

What happened to all those extra picks that Banner accumulated? Why did we end up w/so few draft picks? Did Farmer blow them all by moving up?

Very disappointing.

The only saving grace of the draft is Johnny, and he might bust.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

j/c:

The draft started off w/so much promise, but as time went on, Farmer's and Pettine's inexperience really showed and the end results are extremely disappointing.

What happened to all those extra picks that Banner accumulated? Why did we end up w/so few draft picks? Did Farmer blow them all by moving up?

Very disappointing.

The only saving grace of the draft is Johnny, and he might bust.

They moved up a lot to get a lot of top 100 talents *and got another one in the guy whose thread you posted in after 100.*

Also, they turned those picks into another 10 pick draft next year, along with another 2 first round draft.

Not sure how you can be disappointed in that.

you had a good run Hank.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Browns select Pierre Desir with the 127th overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard