Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What are you talking about? Manziel BARELY EVER passed the ball at A&M, and when he did, it was only after he ran around a bunch, and only when he Threw it up to Mike Evans™

Purple?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

What are you talking about? Manziel BARELY EVER passed the ball at A&M, and when he did, it was only after he ran around a bunch, and only when he Threw it up to Mike Evans™

Purple?

I can't read the Purple.. Hence the italics.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm more upset that he made me listen to Nickleback..

That is just unacceptable.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I never picked up on that bunny hop he does before throwing until now. That might be an area of concern. Is that so he can see over the linemen?

Last edited by jfanent; 05/12/14 05:19 PM.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

When Hoyer was with new England, in limited duty, he went 27-43 for 286 yards, with 1 TD and 1 INT. Solid, if not spectacular. .

6.65 yards per attempt = Spectacular

#BrownsFans

Small sample size.

#TopDefeatist

I like some of what I saw from Hoyer last year, and other stiff concerns me ..... but he does look tailor made for the WCO. He can make every throw in the WCO, and is excellent at pre-snap reads. I think that Manziel will need time to learn the offense, reads, and especially the protections. I don't think that starting Hoyer is some "give up" tactic ..... I think that he gives the team their best chance to win early. If Manziel really applies himself, and knuckles down to learn the reads and protections, then I will be thrilled. I hope that he wins the job out of camp. I just think that he has a long way to go to get to that point,.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think the vid says you are wrong.

That said....I see Joe Theisman in Johnny.

I loved that Redskin controlled rollout....tough to defend. Even tougher if the QB can pull it down and grab a easy 6 yards.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think the vid says you are wrong.

Can we pick another color besides purple?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I want to know why it took so long for the QB controversy to start...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

Ironically it started before we knew which QB we had even drafted..

Is that a record?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Ironically it started before we knew which QB we had even drafted..

Is that a record?

It may have been a record, but there's already a thread about the 2015 draft.......days after the 2014 draft, we have a thread about the 2015 draft?

Hey, why don't we discuss the 2026 draft right now? I hear there are some awesome 10-12 year old qbs. out there.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/05/12/nfl-dra...n-hoyer-haslam/

This is a good thing IMO. JM needs to hit the weight room and study up.

But I'm pretty sure it won't be long before our favorite QB is the backup once again.

Cream rises, if he's got the better chops, they won't keep Manziel off the field for very long.

But I'm encouraged that he's being told that he has to prove it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Hoyer starts the season and plays well. Johnny won't see the field this season unless Hoyer gets hurt. That's my opinion.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

It may have been a record, but there's already a thread about the 2015 draft.......days after the 2014 draft, we have a thread about the 2015 draft?

Hey, why don't we discuss the 2026 draft right now? I hear there are some awesome 10-12 year old qbs. out there.

That's happened just about every year, going back to the old board. Usually pops up the night the draft finishes or the next day.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

I'm more upset that he made me listen to Nickleback..

That is just unacceptable.

The fact that you knew who it was leads me to believe you're a fan in denial.
Thankfully I had no idea what crap band created that song. Now that I do know I'm glad I never heard Nickleback before.

[Linked Image]
C
1st String
1st String
C
Ooooh.."This isn't Hollywood...and get ready to work hard..start acting like a backup..blah,blah,blah". That's a real crass way to be to the guy,you just drafted.Lets get something straight here.They chose him,not the other way around,and it wasn't a secret about him being only the most talked about college QB of all time!!! Seriously,why did they draft him if he isn't their kind of guy,and needs to act like a backup?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Ooooh.."This isn't Hollywood...and get ready to work hard..start acting like a backup..blah,blah,blah". That's a real crass way to be to the guy,you just drafted.

What are they supposed to say? "You're the starter, kick back, grab a beer and relax?"

He's a project QB with a very high ceiling and low odds of success. That's not the kind of guy you throw into the fire Week One.

I'm not saying he won't be the starter on opening day, but he shouldn't.

When you take a big gamble that high, you should make sure to put yourself in the best position to make the high stakes pay off.

Legend
Legend
I think there is a very big chance that JF starts day 1.

Hoyer is what he is, I don't know how much growing he can do.

If Manziel comes into TC and shows he can manage the offense, I feel like starting him won't "ruin" him.. And is a good way to "catch lightning in a bottle" as they say..

Unless the plan is to sit Johnny Football this year, so we can debut him with the new jerseys in 2015..

R
Legend
Legend
R
JC ...

I'm not a big fan of QB competitions. I like the thought of competition at every other position, just not QB. I don't really see anything good coming from this.

I'm almost starting to think we need to trade Hoyer to the highest bidder, if he has any value at all.

The only way I see this ending well is if Manziel clearly and decisively outplays Hoyer in camp.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Hoyer starts the season and plays well. Johnny won't see the field this season unless Hoyer gets hurt. That's my opinion.

I am not a Hoyer fan, while he showed good leadership in the two games he played, and he did seem to fire up the team more than Weeden or Campbell ever could, his actual QB play was average. Hoyer makes a great back-up. I just do not think he is a long term starter.

Against a very weak Vikings secondary he still threw 3 interceptions and we barely won even with a trick play TD. Against the Bengals, Dalton played ugly even though the Bengals had great field position most of the game.

While I wouldn't be disappointed that Manziel hasn't started by week 5 (as it means Hoyer would be playing better than I expected and we would be winning ), I just would not be surprised if he was.

Also on the heading subject, why draft a player like Manziel if you then want him to be more humble and act like a backup QB? Manziel is Hollywood, he is all confidence and bravado. Its one of the things that makes him a good QB, in that he isn't scared to throw and try to make plays. I thought that was a stupid thing to say, well to make public anyway.

Last edited by Dawg_down_Under; 05/12/14 06:42 PM.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Ooooh.."This isn't Hollywood...and get ready to work hard..start acting like a backup..blah,blah,blah". That's a real crass way to be to the guy,you just drafted.Lets get something straight here.They chose him,not the other way around,and it wasn't a secret about him being only the most talked about college QB of all time!!! Seriously,why did they draft him if he isn't their kind of guy,and needs to act like a backup?

Because he's not in college anymore. Manziel is a back up until he proves otherwise. He needs a big dose of humility until he earns his NFL stripes.
Frankly I wish everyone would drop the 'Johnny Football' thing. He hasn't done squat. When/if he earns it he can have his fancy nickname back. Until then he's JM, Johnny Manziel, or Manziel.

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Why start 0-3 before giving your franchise QB the nod, though?

Who says he's our franchise QB?

Other than getting drafted in the first round, what has he done to earn that job and designation?

Do you mean that a poster on this message board isn't enough for you?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

The only thing I'll disagree with is the "He's a career backup.." argument point..

He was backing up Tom Brady..

Come on. He has to suck if he couldn't unseat Tom Brady.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

My hope is Johnny doesn't play much this season...next season is when I hope he takes over and we can trade a highly desired Brian Hoyer

There is one problem with your thoughts. Hoyer is a free agent after the season.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Get to work...

Whats hard about that...perhaps the language could have been more smooth, but, get to work rookie.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Or if Hoyer looks like the reincarnation of Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Oh,but they sure are pressing up those jersey's real quick,and he is being talked about everywhere.Sold 1,000 season tickets in the 1st hr for them too.Has he done anything or said anything,but be totally polite since being signed? Yeah,let's all stick him in the dog house, and that'll teach him a lesson.I hope he kick a$$ for us,and wins.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hoyer right now is the starter and If Johny wants the football he is gonna have to come in and work his ass off or Pettine will not play him. Pettine is all about competition. Now with that said, Hoyer is coming off acl surgery, and has a weak arm and is a career backup. I like what i saw but lets face, Johny puts in the work he is gonna come out of preseason as the starter.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

JC ...

I'm not a big fan of QB competitions. I like the thought of competition at every other position, just not QB. I don't really see anything good coming from this.

I'm almost starting to think we need to trade Hoyer to the highest bidder, if he has any value at all.

The only way I see this ending well is if Manziel clearly and decisively outplays Hoyer in camp.

I agree.

I rarely see a positive from QB competitions either. They're only a positive showing if a guy needs more time to develop.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Hoyer right now is the starter and If Johny wants the football he is gonna have to come in and work his ass off or Pettine will not play him. Pettine is all about competition. Now with that said, Hoyer is coming off acl surgery, and has a weak arm and is a career backup. I like what i saw but lets face, Johny puts in the work he is gonna come out of preseason as the starter.

I don't know who the eventual starting QB for the Browns will be. I would like to think that it would be the best prepared QB.

Remember, they're all coming in with a new playbook. The playbook that Hoyer had last year has hit the shredder and has been recycled. Whoever digests the playbook and is able to execute it the best will likely get the job and that includes Shaw.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Oh,but they sure are pressing up those jersey's real quick,and he is being talked about everywhere.Sold 1,000 season tickets in the 1st hr for them too.Has he done anything or said anything,but be totally polite since being signed? Yeah,let's all stick him in the dog house, and that'll teach him a lesson.I hope he kick a$$ for us,and wins.

He's not in the doghouse. He's at square one. It's the first time in a few years he's been there. If he wants his fame, nickname, celebrity, back he needs to re earn it.
His jerseys are going to sell. As will season tickets in hopes of the unknown. Ultimately that'll will disappear if Manziel doesn't do the work to earn back his JF status.
I see this as a good thing.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Aren't backups supposed to be prepared to start at a moments notice anyways?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Manziel has a lot to learn and as long as the Browns have an experienced QB in Hoyer, who is determined to be the starter, let Manziel earn the starting job, rather than handing it to him.

Let JM sit behind Hoyer until he "proves" that he is a better QB.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Manziel has a lot to learn and as long as the Browns have an experienced QB in Hoyer, who is determined to be the starter, let Manziel earn the starting job, rather than handing it to him.

Let JM sit behind Hoyer until he "proves" that he is a better QB.

I think they'll let whoever they think will do the best job be the QB. That could be Hoyer, Manziel or even Shaw.

It doesn't seem to me that the standard thinking is operating in Cleveland. That is, you let the veteran QB start and let the drafted rookie sit behind him. It appears to me that there really will be an open competition for the job.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
That's good!

Compete and let the best player play...its worked for Seattle.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

That's good!

Compete and let the best player play...its worked for Seattle.

Yep. Worked for them. Pettine and Farmer have both referred to how Seattle was built. Historically, they're right too.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

You have to laugh at Browns Fan huh? Nothing like taking a good situation (potentially solid starting QB -Hoyer- and potentially future franchise QB -Johnny-) and turn into one giant pissing match. Hey - if we can keep this going for 4 months when the season starts we can 1/2 the fans rooting against Hoyer when he starts day 1. Sure - they'll say they are rooting for Johnny - but the reality will be just like when "everyone" (lots of people) cheered when Timmy got injured. That's so cool. I can't wait.

Hang on - here's an hope. Maybe we have a strong enough HC (despite being a rookie) who will lay it out for the players and possible for the fans. Who won't listen or be swayed by fans ... Lord I hope so.

It seems to me it's pretty straight forward - Hoyer is the starter and Manziel has to do something pretty incredible to beat him out. . . . . not just flash in preseason scrub time when playing against 2'nd and 3rd strong. Not just play up to the level of Hoyer ... but beat him out. Personally I don't see any way that happens baring injury.

Did I see enough of Hoyer to know how good he is for sure? No.
Do I believe he's above average in the NFL? Yep. I guess we'll see.
Do I think Johnny can sit for a year and develop - absolutely.

Whenever Johnny starts - I'll be behind him 100%. But I don't see it at the start of the season - and I hope we won't see him start anytime in 2014. . . . because that means Hoyer is who we thought he was !! Or something like that.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

You have to laugh at Browns Fan huh? Nothing like taking a good situation (potentially solid starting QB -Hoyer- and potentially future franchise QB -Johnny-) and turn into one giant pissing match. Hey - if we can keep this going for 4 months when the season starts we can 1/2 the fans rooting against Hoyer when he starts day 1. Sure - they'll say they are rooting for Johnny - but the reality will be just like when "everyone" (lots of people) cheered when Timmy got injured. That's so cool. I can't wait.

Great point. I was thinking the same thing. It's way too early to be taking sides.

The only thing I disagree with is the Timid comparison. Timid sucked for a few years and Holcomb played very well in relief. That's why some fans preferred KH. This board was undeniably Pro-Timid.

This reminds me more of DA/BQ. DA put up record numbers and people were looking for reasons to bury him and insert BQ.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Quote:

He'll still start week 1. I refuse to believe otherwise.

I think that Hoyer starts the season. Manziel gets in, maybe, after our bye week, which is really early this year.

Yep.

Jimmy Haslam says Browns have told Johnny Manziel: "You're the backup quarterback. This isn't Hollywood''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/jimmy_haslam_says_browns_have.html

Haslam showing JM who's the boss.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With Gordon being 99.9% history, who is Hoyer or little Johnny going to even be throwing the ball to?

Last edited by SuperBrown; 05/12/14 09:44 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

This reminds me more of DA/BQ. DA put up record numbers and people were looking for reasons to bury him and insert BQ.

Hit the nail on the head Vers.

If Johnny is the better QB, he will play plain and simple. Pettine has made several statements about throwing a rookie in right away. Few can do it, and who knows maybe Johnny can. But as we sit here, Hoyer is the obvious starter. That could change quickly. or it may never manifest itself. And IMO, that is why the comments were made. This staff seems predicated to competing for a starting spot, and I can see no reason why someone would look at that in a bad light.

The QBs drafted this year all have things that need worked on. There is no Luck or RG3 in this class. All these guys need some development, including Manzeil.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Johnny football told to prepare as a backup. This is not hollywood.

Link Copied to Clipboard