Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does the NFL suspend people for DWI's?

Under the old (current?) substance abuse policy, first offense DUI was generally a two game fine but no suspension. Second offense triggered a suspension. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...st-offense-dui/

I don't think the new substance abuse policy has been implemented because the NFL still isn't testing for HGH, so as far as I can tell he won't be suspended for the DUI.

With that being said, he obviously has had many other substance abuse issues, and I don't know how all of that plays together. Surely the league/Goodell will not look favorably upon this at Gordon's hearing later this month.

I don't think Goodell and the league can mix and match punishments like that. I don't see him getting into any further trouble with this incident.

Well, an "indefinite" suspension gives the league a LOT of leeway. Had Gordon showed remorse and made a good appeal the league might have kept his suspension at a year. Now? They could just make him sit for two or three..... they don't HAVE to limit it to a single season.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
D'Qwell Jackson ✔ @DQ52
Follow

If you're close to Josh Gordon please help this kid, it's not about football anymore it's about picking up the pieces of his life.
2:19 PM - 5 Jul 2014

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does the NFL suspend people for DWI's?

Under the old (current?) substance abuse policy, first offense DUI was generally a two game fine but no suspension. Second offense triggered a suspension. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...st-offense-dui/

I don't think the new substance abuse policy has been implemented because the NFL still isn't testing for HGH, so as far as I can tell he won't be suspended for the DUI.

With that being said, he obviously has had many other substance abuse issues, and I don't know how all of that plays together. Surely the league/Goodell will not look favorably upon this at Gordon's hearing later this month.

I don't think Goodell and the league can mix and match punishments like that. I don't see him getting into any further trouble with this incident.

I think he can. I haven't read the entire policy in a long time and don't plan to now but pulling it up quickly on page 20 (bold is my emphasis): http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010%20Drug%20Policy.pdf

Quote:

B. Alcohol-Related Offenses.
The Commissioner will review and may impose a fine, suspension, or other appropriate
discipline if a player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law (including within
the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision,
or similar arrangement including but not limited to nolo contendere) relating to the use of
alcohol. Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will generally be
a fine of two-seventeenths (2/17) of the amount in Paragraph 5 of the NFL Player
Contract to a maximum of $50,000. If the Commissioner finds that there were
aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct or serious
injury or death of third parties, and/or if the player has had prior drug or alcohol-related
misconduct, increased discipline up to and including suspension may be imposed.

I also think there is a good chance that any leniency he may have gotten with his past issues is likely gone now. Players like Gordon reflect horribly upon the NFL.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Another considerations is how absolutely BRAIN DEAD Gordon is. Do we really want a player that has nothing between his ears? How damned hard is it to hire a car service? If I was a pro ball player I'd NEVER drive myself anywhere.... "Home James" would be my mantra. But no, while facing an INDEFINITE suspension, he decides hiring a service isn't "cool". He'd rather drive drunk so he can get suspended for a longer period. A year off wasn't long enough for him. His appeal was coming up and he wanted to make absolutely SURE the league suspends him for longer than one season.

It's not that he doesn't "get it". It's that he doesn't give a damn. He WANTS to be out of the league. His every waking moment is dedicated to that goal.
The term "Meathead" as in dead from the neck up, suits him perfectly.

Agreed

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Consider his career over until further notice.

Maybe Belichick takes a flier on him a few years down the line.

What a waste.

On his current path, he's going to end up a trivia question. "Josh who?" "He had one great year, couldn't stay off drugs."

Legend
Legend
What a freakin idiot.

Man this kid is just loaded with talent,,, and I guess booze and drugs as well.. What a freakin idiot.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
That just seals the deal for AT LEAST a one year suspension

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'll take "athletes who couldn't pull it together for 500, Alex."

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

D'Qwell Jackson ✔ @DQ52
Follow

If you're close to Josh Gordon please help this kid, it's not about football anymore it's about picking up the pieces of his life.
2:19 PM - 5 Jul 2014

The Browns have tried to help Josh Gordon, but all that good will and consideration those close to Gordon, apparently has all been wasted.

No one is going to help Josh Gordon until Gordon helps himself. He has to want to change..to walk away from his destructive lifestyle and prove to himself and to those who have tried to help, that he can do it.

Gordon's word is meaningless and it's time for those trying to help him, to walk away from Gordon, leaving him alone to fight his own demons..to see if Gordon has what it takes to overcome the demons within.

If I'm the Browns, no way do I cut Josh Gordon...If he is able to overcome his problems and play again in the NFL, it should be with the Browns.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Waste of a good life.

Legend
Legend
On the upside, at least the kid is consistant.

#GMSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Yup. How dumb can this guy possibly be? I mean, it almost looks like he's intentionally trying to get into trouble at this point.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Josh Gordon keeps some interesting company on the road
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 5, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
joshgordon AP

Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon was just over the legal limit when arrested for DWI, but his choice in friends on the road will raise even more questions.

According to WRALSportsfan.com in Raleigh, N.C., Gordon was pulled over this morning for doing 50 in a 35 mph zone. He then blew a .09, just over North Carolina’s legal limit of .08.

But the interesting part might have been his choice in traveling companions.

Gordon’s $500 bond was paid by Haydn “Fats” Thomas, who has a long history in the Raleigh area.

A well-known hustler in the Triangle area, Thomas has been connected to other automotive misadventures.

When former North Carolina basketball star P.J. Hairston was stopped and busted for possession of marijuana, he was driving a car which was rented by Thomas. Hairston ended up tossed out of UNC and spent a year in the D-League before he was drafted by the Hornets this summer.

Thomas is described as a “party promoter” and is a convicted felon.

..awesome.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
.09? Come on. This is no big deal. You guys crack me up with your overreactions.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

.09? Come on. This is no big deal. You guys crack me up with your overreactions.

If he were a player who happened to blow a .09 on the 4th with no prior offenses, it wouldn't be a huge deal.

When you're about to be suspended for a year because you can't stop using drugs, it's not such small potatoes.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
It's the law, isn't it?

Dude's a jagoff.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's almost surreal

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Quote:

Cut him.

Cut him and he'll find another team before the ink dries on the paperwork.
All the Browns can do is plan to be without him and ride it out. Either Gordon comes around or he doesn't. If by some miracle he does find his way it's a bonus.
Nobody ever said being a Browns fan was easy.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
How come the most talented receiver the Browns acquire since the rebirth is the one of the dumbest individuals to grace the NFL? Why can't we get a break for once?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I know he's had issues in the past but just to put this into perspective...

He's 225lbs. A quick calculation shows a 0.09 BAC is just under 8 beers in 3 hours.

Imagine going to Buffalo Wild Wings and having 4 of their tall beers during a Browns game then driving home.

That's basically what Josh Gordon had.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
cut him now

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

cut him now

For everyone saying this ...

From a business and football perspective, what does cutting him accomplish?

Everyone needs to stop trying to take the moral high ground. These guys aren't here to be model citizens, they're here to win football games. If after his suspension, he can help us win games, what good does it do to cut him? None.

If he doesn't clean his act up, he'll never play again but if he does, we need to make sure it's in a Cleveland Browns uniform.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

I know he's had issues in the past but just to put this into perspective...

He's 225lbs. A quick calculation shows a 0.09 BAC is just under 8 beers in 3 hours.

Imagine going to Buffalo Wild Wings and having 4 of their tall beers during a Browns game then driving home.

That's basically what Josh Gordon had.

It's not so much the DWI alone, but the collection of poor decisions he has made since strapping on a helmet on the national stage (including college). Gordon is a man child incapable of making good decisions for himself. You would think he'd learn not only from his past but also Blackmon's situation as well. It's quite possible that he finds himself unemployed soon if he doesn't straitened up soon.

Don't cut him because the Browns don't lose anything keeping him, but I do hope he gets suspended for the year. That might be the only thing that wakes this kid up.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Look, if a guy shows up at 8:03 it's not a huge deal, but if he's been warned repeatedly not to be late, after awhile it is.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Quote:

cut him now

For everyone saying this ...

From a business and football perspective, what does cutting him accomplish?

Everyone needs to stop trying to take the moral high ground. These guys aren't here to be model citizens, they're here to win football games. If after his suspension, he can help us win games, what good does it do to cut him? None.

If he doesn't clean his act up, he'll never play again but if he does, we need to make sure it's in a Cleveland Browns uniform.

This is the perspective Browns fans need to have. It's not hurting the team keeping him, unless he is a locker room distraction (which nobody is coming out saying).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have a question does this impact the hearing in July?
I am thinking it cant. He hasnt been convicted of a DUI yet? That wont happen until august

Joe Thomas #73
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I was hoping after the season was over...we'd sell high and trade away Gordon...I just never cared for his background and knew he was going to repeat and fall in relapse he has that very low key "I don't care" personality (heck I would have traded Gordon straight up for 2nd round pick and maybe some throw ins) I don't post all that much but anyways anyone who remembers me I have a cousin that conducts a lot of interviews with the Browns players and front office (I'm sure some will remember when I had my cousin ask Shurmur about a specific situation...indeed my cousin asked and everyone on the board busted up because Shurmur got pissed lol) long story short...My cousin had told me when he walked past Gordon late last year outside of the offices (maybe he meant parking area?) That Gordon smelled of a weed...so its really no surprise to me...as Browns fans its surely a shame

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

if only he would have insisted on a blood alcohol test, that would have bought him about 45 minutes, and he would have burned off the .01 to make him legal.

oh well.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

j/c

if only he would have insisted on a blood alcohol test, that would have bought him about 45 minutes, and he would have burned off the .01 to make him legal.

oh well.

You really would have thought someone would tell him the rules on that. I mean, that's basic stuff.

Anyway, for those of the morality brigade, what would you do if the Browns had LT in his prime?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Browns have tried to help Josh Gordon, but all that good will and consideration those close to Gordon, apparently has all been wasted.

No one is going to help Josh Gordon until Gordon helps himself. He has to want to change..to walk away from his destructive lifestyle and prove to himself and to those who have tried to help, that he can do it.

Gordon's word is meaningless and it's time for those trying to help him, to walk away from Gordon, leaving him alone to fight his own demons..to see if Gordon has what it takes to overcome the demons within.

If I'm the Browns, no way do I cut Josh Gordon...If he is able to overcome his problems and play again in the NFL, it should be with the Browns.

That pretty much sums it all up and nails it bro

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

oh well.

You really would have thought someone would tell him the rules on that. I mean, that's basic stuff.

Anyway, for those of the morality brigade, what would you do if the Browns had LT in his prime?

Unless he had his last drink right before driving. Then any extra time passing would allow the alcohol to get further into his system.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

what would you do if the Browns had LT in his prime?

Gordon's about to pass LT in career suspensions for drugs.

This isn't an issue or morality. It's an issue of stupidity.

Legend
Legend

This charge just adds more fuel to the fire against him.

He is Mr. Self-Destruct. And that's exactly what it is.

Legend
Legend
We once had Kevin Mack, and he did far worse than Gordon has.

Who knows? Maybe he'll also find his redemption somewhere while he is forced to be away from the game. Maybe this wakes him up.

Probably not ..... but let's hope, and those of us who pray, can pray for him straightening himself out. Not even just for the sake of the Browns, but so this kid doesn't drive his career, literally, right into the ditch.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guys like this need to hit rock bottom before they change.. Problem is, I don't think he has yet.. Still has money and a job.. at least till he's suspended.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

We once had Kevin Mack, and he did far worse than Gordon has.

I don't think Mack was ever suspended more than once.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Josh "can't get right" Gordon... love watching him play, hate seeing this. Hope he get's turned around.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
But what is the point of trading him or cutting him?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Guys like this need to hit rock bottom before they change.. Problem is, I don't think he has yet.. Still has money and a job.. at least till he's suspended.

I'm thinking once he is suspended all year that may be the kick in the butt he needs, but truthfully? I don't think he's gonna straighten himself out. It's almost too late already. He will lose his career and surely burn through his money. He will be one of those guys we just read about from time to time, and his mugshot(s) will help tell the story.... along with... well, the actual story. lol

O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

But what is the point of trading him or cutting him?

There is NO POINT AT ALL. Let him serve out his suspension, see if he gets help or try to get him some help and go from there.

Kid doesn't seem to be a bad egg, he just can't get right.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon Arrested in North Carolina

Link Copied to Clipboard