Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
I feel like peoples biases against Tony are clowding their judgement.

If that was Dale Jr driving you wouldn't hear a blip about it being done "on purpose"

If it was someone without a name, it wouldn't even be a news story..

Stewart has an attitude. Sure. But say HIS actions lead to that guys death is just silly..

There will be a civil suit. Tony will settle out. Its a sad situation. Nothing more.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Rogue - Your post is SPOT ON! Tony had ZERO reason to be angry with Ward Jr. So he had no reason to even kick dirt up on him.

I'm not a huge fan of Tony's. I respect the hell out of his abilities as a racer and a person. He's a racer's racer. He loves it, lives it. And he gives generously to help people. Does he sometimes let the race get the best of him (throwing helmets etc.)? Yes, I think that happens to every racer. Do I think he would do anything to willfully, purposefully harm another racer? HELL NO!

How much do you think you could see out of this vehicle?

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Basically, it wouldn't shock me to see that Stewart intended on buzzing the guy as some show of machismo.

I think that is exactly what happened. Stewart wanted to throw some dirt up in the guys face and ended up burying the guy in the dirt.

Tony has always been a hotheaded punk. Now his actions have resulted in the death of another driver.

Exactly....you get it.

Ya'll can think what you want,I won't argue the point with people.

Legend
Legend
Jc

I don't know much about racing. But I do know enough to know that Tony Stewart is an elite driver. Him, and other elite drivers know how to handle their cars damn near flawlessly.

I don't see how, on a yellow flag, steward accidentally did anything. I don't think he meant to kill him, maybe just hit him with the wing or side or dirt to scare him, but there's no way anybody can say that tony Stewart didn't see him there. How is it that everybody else was able to pass Ward, yet Stewart clearly gunned the throttle.

β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Don't we have someone on here who's husband racing these things? BrownsBabe maybe?

Would be cool to get their insight.

He doesn't race these winged things...he's into street cars converted to race specifications. His cousin, however, used to race these things though. Skylar was injured in a serious accident and lost his career because of it. (not his life, thankfully) Someone wrecked him and caused his car to flip and his safety equipment failed (his arm ended up outside the cockpit of the car and crushed his arm).

My husband witnessed a close friend and track worker die right in front of him. Someone he'd known for 20+ years. A driver got 2 wheels off into the wet grass, slid out of control and hit Glen. Glen was an experienced corner worker, but was not following their rules. He was not standing out of harms way, as they were supposed to. He was standing, unprotected too close to the track. He paid for that with his life. Glen's family lost a husband and father. The driver of the car is still racked with guilt and fear. He's raced since then (happened over 10 years ago) but I'm fairly certain he's not returned to the track this happened at.

This whole situation is just tragic, no matter how you look at it. A young kid lost his life and another racer will have to live with this for the rest of his life.

I'm not so sure about a civil suit though. Racers sign waivers before each and every race knowing anything, including death, can happen. They would have to really prove intent. But, Tony will probably settle if it does come to that, however.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C......Nobody but Tony can know for sure. but I still suspect he is trying to convince himself he did nothing wrong.

No doubt in my mind he never waned to kill a fellow racer, but his actions did.....NO doubt about that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

J/C......Nobody but Tony can know for sure. but I still suspect he is trying to convince himself he did nothing wrong.

No doubt in my mind he never waned to kill a fellow racer, but his actions did.....NO doubt about that.

If you were on a range, shooting a gun, and someone ran in front of the barrel as you were pulling the trigger. Would you think that your actions caused that persons death??

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't know much about racing.

Let's preface things with that ...

Quote:

I don't see how, on a yellow flag, steward accidentally did anything. I don't think he meant to kill him, maybe just hit him with the wing or side or dirt to scare him.

There's no way in hell he would *intend* to clip him. I think just about any driver knows that clipping a person, even at 30-40mph is going to kill someone. An elite driver with an understanding of how large the back-end of a midget car is wouldn't even think twice about attempting to clip someone. They would know what the end result would be.

And like others have said, I don't see why he would even want to toss dirt on him. The other guy went into the wall and Tony is dinking around having fun on a dirt track on a Saturday night in a race that means absolutely zilch to him. Why would he be P.O'ed in the slightest??

Quote:

but there's no way anybody can say that tony Stewart didn't see him there. How is it that everybody else was able to pass Ward, yet Stewart clearly gunned the throttle.

Okay, first off ... there was only a handful of cars that really went past when he started running down the track to yell at Stewart. The last one of them DID have to swerve out of the way.

But a few things you have to know about these cars ... One, as others have stated, they have TERRIBLE visibility. Not only are your driving around in a dusty cloud, getting dirt all over your visor, you've got a low wing partially blocking your field of vision and the lighting at these tracks is pretty bad. The other, these are Direct-Drive cars ... meaning they don't have a clutch and are always in motion. It's not like you can just stomp on the clutch, hit the brakes and veer out of the way. These cars are meant to be steered by drifting and revving the engine. Not to mention, you're driving on dirt. Even at 30mph, you can't exact turn on a dime and get out of the way.

Like someone else said ... I think everyone's hatred of Steward is clouding their judgement.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Like someone else said ... I think everyone's hatred of Steward is clouding their judgement.

That or it's just a better story to have it be intentional. For some, there aren't accidents because that reminds them the universe and life are very random. While he put himself in a bad situation, tons of other drivers do that and are fine, so someone with evil intentions have to be the reason this one went badly.

[Linked Image]

β€œ...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
A
Legend
Legend
A
Stewart.

And I must say, he was one of my favorite drivers. In fact, I'd say he was my second favorite behind Bobby Labonte, and then when Hornish got into nascar, Stewart was second for me, behind Sammy.

With that said - I have NO doubt that Stewart was intending to hit Ward. None. Smoke may be a hothead, but he's not dumb, and I have no doubt intent to "hit" was on his mind.

What was? Spraying some dirt.

In the vid - people mention the guy in front of Stewart had to swerve to miss Ward. Okay. I certainly didn't see him spin though. I've also read that caution speed was 25-35 mph. Sprint cars steer just fine at that speed.

This is in general to everyone: Some have said "why was the guy on the track when they were racing?" Legitimate question. However, before that can be answered, understand that the cars had gone a lap under caution. From the time the guy was hit until the track workers got to him is less than 10 seconds. That means they were on their way onto the track after the race was yellowed and cars had slowed down. They did NOT decide to go onto the track because the driver was on the ground - they were on their way before that.

Why was Ward on the track? Shouldn't have been, but he was angry. Possibly Stewart's "fame" came into it as well - as in "hey, this nascar champ just wrecked me, watch what I'm going to do - ........." I don't know.....

I'm not blaming Stewart, although I think he was going to spin some dirt on the guy. I'm not defending Stewart, as I'm sure he didn't mean to even hurt, let alone kill Ward.

Some have mentioned the lack of visibility for Stewart - on the right side of the car. Stewart could see the car on the side of the track - he was under caution anyway. I think the visibility issue probably wasn't much of an issue. Stewart gunned it, as evidenced by the rear of his car tailing outwards. Again, at 25-35 mph - sprint cars don't "turn" with the rear wheels.

Legend
Legend
Well I don't hate the guy, or like him. I don't watch nascar. I just seen the video and made my conclusion from there.

β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Smoke may be a hothead, but he's not dumb, and I have no doubt intent to "hit" was on his mind.

That makes no sense. You say he's not dumb, but he had intent to hit him?? And then you later go on to say you don't blame Stewart. What are you saying? If he had intent to hit him, I think every reasonable driver would know what would happen in that instance.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Smoke may be a hothead, but he's not dumb,

That makes no sense. You say he's not dumb, but he had intent to hit him?? And then you later go on to say you don't blame Stewart. What are you saying? If he had intent to hit him, I think every reasonable driver would know what would happen in that instance.

Talk about an "egg on your face" moment!!!!! Geez, I need to proof read. I said
Quote:

and I have no doubt intent to "hit" was on his mind

What I absolutely meant was I have no doubt that Stewart did NOT intend to hit Ward.

My bad. Thanks for catching that. And, my apologies.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am glad you cleared up what you said, because I was reading you post and thinking "huh"

I agree though. But I just figured Tony gunned it to get away from the moron who was charging at his car, wanting to reach and grab ahold of him

KING

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If you were on a range, shooting a gun, and someone ran in front of the barrel as you were pulling the trigger. Would you think that your actions caused that persons death??

KING

Yes to some degree. You could always try to console yourself with the fact that their actions contributed to it but in the end most people would struggle for the rest of their lives with the fact that they were the one that pulled the trigger. They would struggle with what they could have done differently, should they have seen the person, should they have been more aware, etc.. it's human nature.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
And that wasn't even a good analogy. It would have been more on point if I had aimed my gun to hit 2 feet away from the guy, but missed and ended up hitting him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
j/c

I suggest a lot of people need to go search out some slow motion of the video and tell me you reach the same conclusion. IMO this is all on Ward and not Stewart. Kid paid the ultimate price for his stupidity.

Too many people are letting their own personal opinions of Stewart cloud their judgement and want to condemn Stewart.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

And that wasn't even a good analogy. It would have been more on point if I had aimed my gun to hit 2 feet away from the guy, but missed and ended up hitting him.

He didnt aim anything, the guy ran up to the side of his car to try to take a poke at him. I guess he forgot it was open wheel racing

King

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

KING

Yes to some degree. You could always try to console yourself with the fact that their actions contributed to it but in the end most people would struggle for the rest of their lives with the fact that they were the one that pulled the trigger. They would struggle with what they could have done differently, should they have seen the person, should they have been more aware, etc.. it's human nature.

Ok, I wasnt clear. I am not talking about how Tony feels. I am talking the blame others are putting on him.

Legend
Legend
Gotcha.

yebat' Putin
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Driver who witnessed tragedy: Tony Stewart β€˜did everything in his power … to avoid (Kevin Ward Jr.)’

web page

Jerry Bonkowski
Aug 13, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT

Lost in all the resulting fallout of the Tony Stewart – Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy is a report by a fellow driver who was also in Saturday night’s fateful race field and witnessed the incident.

β€œFrom what I saw, Tony did everything in his power to turn down away from Kevin to avoid him,” sprint car driver Cory Sparks told Rochester.twc.news.com.

Sparks was a few cars behind Stewart on the racetrack but had a clear field of vision of what occurred, and said that videos that have been made public do not tell the whole story.

β€œPeople say that they heard the engine rev up and he gassed it,” Sparks said of Stewart. β€œIn a sprint car, the only way to steer is you steer with the rear wheels as much as you do the steering wheel. In my opinion, what he did was he (Stewart) gassed it to turn down away from him (Ward).”

Sparks also confirmed the belief of many that Stewart’s vision may have been limited and that Stewart likely did not see Ward until it was too late.

β€œKevin was wearing all-black,” Sparks said. β€œA black fire suit, a black helmet, which in normal situations isn’t a big deal, they are to go with the colors of your car. It was tragic accident and a mistake was made.”

Although Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip Povero has said his investigators have spoken to other racers, it was unclear from the Rochester.twcnews.com story if Sparks has been questioned yet by investigators about what he saw unfold on the racetrack.

β€œI think that the biggest thing is to remember Kevin Ward as a great race car driver, not a victim of Tony Stewart,” Sparks said.

Whoah. What? A guy who drives a sprint car and witnessed the event just came out today and said the exact same thing as the people on this board who are familiar with sprint cars and dirt? Gas it to turn it? (insert purple in your minds here) Why that cannot be. Surely Stewart was spraying dirt, trying to clip or just flat out run the kid over because Stewart is a hot head and was mad at Ward for absolutely nothing that happened to Stewart to be mad about.

β€œUnemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Legend
Legend
...because his comment and our level-headed comments don't sell newspapers or fuel social media conspiracy theories. It was an accident.

[Linked Image]

β€œ...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Too many people are letting their own personal opinions of Stewart cloud their judgement and want to condemn Stewart.

Stewart's actions of deciding to race the very next day bring his character into question. Only after massive outcry did he back off his stance and provide a canned, written letter of remorse.

I also don't believe for one moment that Stewart had no clue Ward was there, and therefore had no chance to avoid him.

If I were the police or a judge I would never consider convicting or otherwise blaming him based on what limited bit of video we've seen, but that won't stop me from believing that one of the most talented race car drivers in the world couldn't have avoided a guy that several other cars did.

I don't believe Stewart did anything on purpose to hit Ward, but I do believe Stewart intentionally didn't do enough to avoid him.

Ward is responsible for his own death. Stewart, on the other hand, may have to live with the idea that he should have done more to avoid an accident.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Stewart's actions of deciding to race the very next day bring his character into question.

He should have raced the next day.

The public outcry was the ridiculous part of that.

Last edited by TopDawg16; 08/14/14 02:17 AM.

Legend
Legend
The character in question, is that of a driver.

It's who he is. It's what he does. It's what he loves.

It's the reason a guy who's made a lot of money over the years is in bum crap egypt racing against nobodies in Sprint cars...

He loves it.

That 3 hours in a Nascar race probably would of been the safest place for him. Because then it's just him and his car.

But no, he's some horrible person because he wanted to race, and that obviously meant he did it on purpose

Last edited by ThatGuy; 08/14/14 04:45 AM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

Quote:

Stewart's actions of deciding to race the very next day bring his character into question. Only after massive outcry did he back off his stance and provide a canned, written letter of remorse.

I also don't believe for one moment that Stewart had no clue Ward was there, and therefore had no chance to avoid him.

If I were the police or a judge I would never consider convicting or otherwise blaming him based on what limited bit of video we've seen, but that won't stop me from believing that one of the most talented race car drivers in the world couldn't have avoided a guy that several other cars did.

I don't believe Stewart did anything on purpose to hit Ward, but I do believe Stewart intentionally didn't do enough to avoid him.

Ward is responsible for his own death. Stewart, on the other hand, may have to live with the idea that he should have done more to avoid an accident.

I guess thats your choice to avoid actually reading what other drivers of these cars said (those that weren't close buddies with Ward) or even looking closer at the video. The 45 car right in front of Steward narrowly missed him and Ward came down the track further towards Stewarts car. Try taking a look at the visibility out of the right side of these cars....but hey, you hate Stewart so lets convict him of murder.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum tony stewart kills driver in race

Link Copied to Clipboard