Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't reply to your thread on QBs for two reasons:

--Your analysis was ludicrous w/many of the QBs. One could say "laughable."

--I didn't want to criticize you because you put work into your evaluation. But now, w/your stupid comment of my take on TB being "laughable," the gloves are off. Your analysis of the QBs was downright ignorant.

E
Legend
Legend
E
He plays w/no passion. I wonder if this guy suffers from depression.

He has been found to be a diabetic, not sure when but I think just a couple of years ago. I could be wrong but I think he has the diabetic Insulin pump, which I'm sure he detaches. Point being though is once he starts playing I am almost positive his Sugar Levels drop. Even if it drops just to 70 which is a very good level although borderline sugar too low (forgot the 4-5 syllable word for that) But for a Diabetic who is more use to his sugar levels being around 120-150 when it drops to 70 you start to feel the effects of low blood sugar. One of which is becoming Lethargic. So Possibly when the sugar test is done (by attaching that pump) it might show 70 which is acceptable. To him it makes him Lethargic. This of course is a Hypothesis from someone who suffers from Type II Diabetes who does take some insulin shots as well as pills.

Sometimes when I see his eyes I say to myself this kid needs some OJ or something!

I'm curious also on Cutler. Vers one thing he never has had. An OL that could give him a reliable Pocket. Why if for some reason we get a hold of him for a SB run or something. I would not cry cause I think we have the OL.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #910168 12/31/14 10:29 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
The sugar thing makes sense.

I always supported Cutler because I believed he possessed rare talent, but man, one would think that he would have figured it out by now.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Sorry, I am not buying it. Gilbert has received more criticism from his teammates and coaches than any player I can ever remember. Y'all like to point out every JM misstep, but Gilbert is getting ripped way more by the people in the know.

What makes matters worse is that he is getting paid more. He was drafted higher. He was almost handed the starting job.

He freaking blew it. How arrogant and stupid do you have to be to say that you would rather sleep in than study like K. Williams has?

Seriously, man..............how freaking wrong is that?

I don't see anyone saying its NOT wrong.

While Gilbert and Manziel seem to be having similar issues with immaturity, the difference is that Gilbert's issues aren't having nearly as much of a negative impact on the team as a whole like Manziel's has.

NOw when it comes to the amount of criticism he receives, I think Gilbert actually benefits in a way from guys like K'waun and Desir beating him out and playing well because the team doesn't suffer by him not being on the field. Its not like there an expectation for him to become a "franchise cornerback". On top of tat, CB is not a position where being a leader is built in to the job description as opposed to QB.

So when you compare that to the kid hailed as the next best thing in football, who's SUPPOSED to be our best hope to be the covetous franchise QB we've sought for so long say he "didn't take things as seriously as he should have"... it's going to be considered much more egregious.

I'm not so sure Hoyer and Manziel end up on the same roster next season. Unless Manziel is unequivocally relegated to a back up from the get go.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
eotab #910222 12/31/14 01:18 PM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
I would think that if it was something like his sugar getting low, a few sips of gatorade, or about anything with sugar would spike it right back up. We would give people on the squad oral glucose, and their sugar would spike almost immediately.

Don't really want it to go thru the roof because its bad for vision, but i've watched people eat a few chips, and get their sugar back to normal levels.

I would agree with you about the line though. I don't watch much football besides the browns, but seems like every time i saw him, he was under pressure.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
That's a fair point DD.

Although I would point out that I'm not the biggest fan of Skrine as an outside CB. The grand master plan was for Gilbert to be good enough to take the job from Skrine, moving him to slot CB, where he would be a beast.

And to your point, I think certain posters are taking the wrong approach in regards to K'Waun. Him playing well shouldn't be twisted around to be a negative against someone else.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
PDR #910243 12/31/14 01:58 PM
Legend
Legend

If I was Tampa I would reject the offer.

But if you do not try nothing happens.

Manziel has very little value. However, in this scenario you would have to add a quarterback. The reality on Manziel is there is not enough snaps to really judge him. I am not optimistic but he still needs to play to determine what he can do.

Gordon has value. The talent is there. Every coach believes he can reach a player. There will be a market for Gordon.

Legend
Legend

Vers, you said the same thing last year. So I am glad you are sticking to your guns.

However, I totally disagree.

No matter if you are Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel or Andrew Luck when you are in college you play within the system of the coach. Luck played in a system that was close to the Pro game. It was an advantage for him once he came into the league as a four starter.

When you look at a player like Mariota you have to take the system he is forced to play within into consideration. At the same time you have to forecast how will he translate his skills into the pro game.

As a three year starter he has thrown for 101 TD and 12 int's. No matter how you slice that it shows decision making skills.

His character: This young man is carrying the face of a culture (Hawaiian). If you watched his Heisman acceptance speech his sincerity poured through. His work ethic and character will never be an issue.

Skillset: He has size, speed, and accuracy averaging over 68% completion. He has a quick release. He is first and foremost a pocket passer who is asked to do more. At the pro level he will use his speed only when necessary. He is coachable. Read the comments or go the Oregon website and read what coaches and players say about this young man.

He could have come out last year and been the top pick. He choose wisely to stay in school and develop.

He is the perfect candidate to mold into greatness.

He is not a finished product. No player coming out of college is.

You call him a one read half field guy like that is all he will ever be. Like JM was ever a first round talent. Or Weeden a 29 year old rookie carried a first round grade by the Browns? They are not even close to being in the same class as Mariota as a prospect.

I agree with you on a lot of stuff but on Mariota I think you are completely off base.

It is a shame he will never be a Brown. But I guarantee you he will be the first or second pick in the draft and prove to be top talent in the league.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: BrownieElf
After watching this game i'm convinced Manziel is a fool.
... ...
Hoyer is probably the best free agent out there. We know he works hard. Maybe he's not the most talented, but i would think he would improve in year 2 along with the rest of the offense. ...

Don't see why Manziel being a fool (agree) means we have to re-sign Hoyer. He showed mid-season why he's not a franchise QB when given the chance. I like the guy, but he seems to have proven he's just a decent back up who can maybe win a few games for you.

Things aren't looking good for Manziel, either, which shows that we're still looking for a play-off caliber QB to take us to the next level.

Can Farmer ID one in the draft?? He sure seems to have whiffed with Manziel.

Sad.

Happy New Year anyway. :-)

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
While Gilbert and Manziel seem to be having similar issues with immaturity, the difference is that Gilbert's issues aren't having nearly as much of a negative impact on the team as a whole like Manziel's has.

Prove that comment by showing us quotes from players and coaches.

I got news for you and others fighting this hateful fight. You can't do it.

On the other hand, I can show you more direct quotes from PLAYERS AND COACHES that put way more blame on Gilbert than Manziel.

Wanna put money on this one?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I didn't reply to your thread on QBs for two reasons:

--Your analysis was ludicrous w/many of the QBs. One could say "laughable."

--I didn't want to criticize you because you put work into your evaluation. But now, w/your stupid comment of my take on TB being "laughable," the gloves are off. Your analysis of the QBs was downright ignorant.

Gloves are off...ohhhhh my...such an internet tough guy. A typical shallow post from you. Take the gloves off tough guy and actually debate my QB evaluations that you proclaim 'ignorant'. As I said before, you don't have the stones to do it...because you've thrown them around on this board to the point where they are now pebbles.

We could have Christ himself at QB and the debate wouldn't stop on this board...let alone your draft-choice-hero after a half dozen or so mediocre starts.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Happy New Year to you, too.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Happy New Year to you, too.

Thank you...same to you.

Rookie
Rookie
Re-sign Hoyer. The 2015 draft is thin at QB. Mariotta and Winston will be gone in the first few picks and I wouldn't pick either anyway. Mariotta is another version of Manziel who won't throw the ball unless there are wide open receivers. Winston has too many issues and I question his intellect, on and off the field. Currently there is no one in FA I would want. Let Manziel go, and pick up a smart, 6'4" QB in a later round that fits the prototype profile.

Hoyer struggled when our OLine started to fall apart and when our receiver corp became a patchwork of smurfs. Give me the Hoyer we saw in the beginning who read offenses and got the ball out quickly with confidence...not force to rush throws off his front foot.

I vow to smack everyone who says the importance of the running back is diminished in the NFL today.
The Nuke #910480 01/01/15 01:24 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It may be a good idea to re-sign BH as long as the price is right and we can improve the talent around him. We may be set at RB but we need to improve OL, WR and possibly TE. You still have JM to develop and you can bring in a Mallet or draft someone in a later round.

1JohnnyG #910495 01/01/15 02:09 PM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
i'm not saying we have to, i'm just saying that I feel he is one of our best options at this point.

Manziel obviously wasn't doing something. He admitted as much. No way this organization rewards that with a starting job.

So we are basically stuck signing a vet qb somehow. Probably draft someone to develop as well.

The Nuke #910496 01/01/15 02:14 PM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Unless there is much more that we don't know, I don't see them cutting Manziel.
I can see him listed as the 3rd string qb until he proves he deserves better.

If this crap was continuing next year into training camp, then i could see him traded, or not making final cuts. They will never say a thing to hint that though, or we have no chance of any pick.

Aren't smart 6' 4" prototypical qb's drafted in the first? smile

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: BrownieElf
Aren't smart 6' 4" prototypical qb's drafted in the first? smile

Like Tom Brady was. smirk

The Nuke #910541 01/01/15 05:42 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
What would you give up to get a QB like Mike Glennon? Would you send Johnny Manziel to Tampa? Would you send a mid (4th) to late (6th) round pick for him?

Legend
Legend
Especially if part of the price is to name BH the starter. That is where we are at. Have it understood that if he tanks badly, things may change. But the draft is easier and better for us if we lock him up, get some FA help (proven), draft skill positions high, and coach up.

I see a much less rosy scenario if BH goes, Jm is not viable, and we are looking to the draft for immediate salvation while facing what I consider to be a much tougher schedule. Maybe a veteran. But pickins are slim.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Bard Dawg #910556 01/01/15 06:20 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O

NRTU...

Ya know, at first I thought there's no way in Hell Hoyer would want to come back to the Browns, nor the Browns wanting to consider re-signing him.

But when I started looking over the entire big picture, that may be a marriage similar to what the Bengals had several years ago with Lewis: Two entities that that needed each other more than others needed them.

The Bengals are now the cheapest organization in the entire NFL, as Mike Brown is a laughable owner. He refuses to pay coaches worth anything and it was unlikely that Lewis would have had any offers as a head coach. So they settled on each other.

Maybe that's where the Browns and Hoyer are, all thanks to Manziel.

It's hard to believe but Hoyer could be the best free agent QB on the market. He already knows the offense and has the love and admiration of the fan-base. If given a fair shot at winning the job in camp along with a nice paycheck, well, it could happen.

I'll admit that I don't want it to happen, because while I truly like the guy and believe in him as a QB, he's a very limited player. Small, pedestrian arm, below-average accuracy. He's a journeyman elite backup QB/spot-starter, but that may be our best bet considering the level of QB's in this draft.

I know I'll catch Hell for saying this from certain posters, but I've always viewed us as a building franchise, not one that is ready to make a big playoff push "if we just had a QB." For the first time in years I can say with a straight face that we've got several pieces in place and have more talent than at any point in the last decade. But we still have the most suspect receiving corp in the league, our offensive line isn't great at run-blocking, we don't stop the run well, and we don't rush the passer well. We have an elite corner in Haden but the #2 corner is a huge question mark. Skrine has all the ability but has pathetic instincts. He's not a starter. Gilbert? Who knows. Special teams is a joke which is a direct reference to our lack of depth.

If we're still a building team, one that needs another draft or two and some solid free agent acquisitions, then maybe another year of Hoyer isn't the worst thing we can do.

It sure as Hell would send Manziel a message, and that makes me smile. That little beoch needs more wake-up calls.

I don't know if bringing back Hoyer can happen, but I can see where it'd make sense. Sometimes, you have to settle for decent if great isn't available.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
OverToad #910960 01/02/15 02:45 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:
It's hard to believe but Hoyer could be the best free agent QB on the market.

I'll add that I think in the short term (1-2 years) he's a better option than any QB in this draft that we might have a chance to snag. I'm not crazy about repeating a year like this year, but honestly if we stay healthy and pick up some more impact players/O-line depth we could be looking at a completely different ending. I think trying to resign him without breaking the bank is a no brainer.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/02/15 02:46 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
OverToad #911003 01/02/15 11:49 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OverToad
Hoyer...He's a journeyman elite backup QB/spot-starter...

That's how I see it also. Therefore, how do we justify signing him to a starter's salary? As a sidenote: There is no way I see Hoyer and Manziel co-existing next season. One has to go...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
OverToad #911008 01/02/15 11:59 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/what you are saying and I would like to see Hoyer stick around, but for some reason, I get the impression that Hoyer and Manziel cannot coexist. I don't think that Farmer and Pettine want Hoyer back.

I agree w/you on some of your team evaluations, but think you might have went a bit overboard.

OL: We need depth. The starters are good enough.

Special teams improved in regards to coverage. We desperately need a punt returner.

Defense: I like Skrine and thought he played well. I think Gilbet stinks He has shown me NOTHING positive. I have no idea why so many people are saying he improved as the year went along. He sucked all year. He had one great return on a pass that was dramatically overthrown. It's not like he undercut a guy for a pick.

I think our lack of a pass rush was huge. QBs got too much time to sit in the pocket and wait for receivers to come open.

I hated the pick at the time, but Hughes is looking pretty good. I hope we trade Taylor, for something...anything.

We need a WR or two, but they aren't that hard to find.

Legend
Legend
I think that Pettine respects Hoyer, but he is not the guy he wants at QB.

It is my belief that we will go after a guy he does like, as our bridge QB, and that guy will be Mark Sanchez. I cannot believe I am going to say this, because I wanted no part of him in the 2009 draft, but I think that Sanchez could be a solid guy to run the "QB limited" style of offense we are running. He's not a great QB by any measure, but he can be effective if he does not have to do everything himself.

If I had to bet money on a QB coming in here, it would be Sanchez.

I think that we could also look at a guy like Glennon, who is a young veteran who has played well when he has had opportunities. He has been buried in Tampa Bay for some reason, and that needs to be investigated, but he has the size and ability to be a solid starter.

We probably aren't going to find a great QB next year. (unless Manziel makes a 100% turnaround .... which with his ego, I would not count completely out)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Going after Sanchez actually makes sense. I can't believe I am saying that, but I am....... blush

Legend
Legend
Yeah, I never thought I would say it either .....

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I'm kinda wondering if Pettin wants Manziel at QB these days. JM is a headache. A real PITA. Problem child or so it seems up to now. Talks a good game, doesn't come through when it counts.

Honestly, I don't know if Pettine wants him either.

As for Sanchez, You and me are together on not wanting him back then. but damn, he might be the best interim guy until we find THE guy. Whoever we bring in has to be someone we can live with for a few years until the right/long term answer is found.

I wanted Bridgewater last year.. He was ok with the Vikings. He may have actually been better here.

Anyway, that's just speculation., Who knows.

Glennon only works out if Shanahan can make something of him.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #911027 01/02/15 12:31 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I wanted Bridgewater last year.

shocked shocked willynilly

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Mark Sanchez = Brian Hoyer

comp%: 56,3 vs 56,5
TD/INT: 82/80 vs 19/19
ypa: 6,7 vs 7,2

Sanchez is a better runner but has a higher fumble %

Meh

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Has Jay Cutler been discussed much here? I know he's a POS with a huge contract, but I believe 2015 is the last guaranteed year. I dislike his character about as much as I do Manziel's, but at least Cutler has some modicum of talent. I'm not necessarily advocating such a move, just throwing it out there. I wonder what it would take.

It's just the though of Mark Sanchez as the best available QB. Barf.

OverToad #911038 01/02/15 12:54 PM
Legend
Legend

Really good post Toad.

I guess I need to say that because I totally agree.

On one hand I would like the Browns to try and make a bold move at quarterback but sometimes you just can't.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wasn't there some talk last draft that TB told his agent if the Browns called, tell them Thanks, but No Thanks?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown
Mark Sanchez = Brian Hoyer

comp%: 56,3 vs 56,5
TD/INT: 82/80 vs 19/19
ypa: 6,7 vs 7,2

Sanchez is a better runner but has a higher fumble %

Meh

And one butt fumble. I believe he leads the league in that category.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: misterbaseball99
Has Jay Cutler been discussed much here? I know he's a POS with a huge contract, but I believe 2015 is the last guaranteed year. I dislike his character about as much as I do Manziel's, but at least Cutler has some modicum of talent. I'm not necessarily advocating such a move, just throwing it out there. I wonder what it would take.

It's just the though of Mark Sanchez as the best available QB. Barf.

I would take Sanchez long before I would even consider Cutler. Cutler had everything a QB could ever want in Chicago last year, and what did he do with it? He had a good year statistically, yet still got benched for being so lousy. He got benched for Jimmy Claussen, for Pete's sake! crazy lol

Look at last year, and how he got outplayed by McCown, who bombed in Tampa Bay this year.

Cutler is very talented, until you get to the areas above the neck. He has nothing there. He would be an absolute disaster here.

As far as Sanchez, the Jets went away from him being a cog, to him being the backbone, and he could not do that. However, they did him no favors when they made that change either. Look at who Sanchez was throwing to in his final year in New York. Here's a hint. they sucked.

I think that he can be effective if he is not expected to load a team on his shoulders and carry them week in and week out. He is not that kind of QB. However, he can be effective on the kind of team we want to build, with a strong defense, and a strong run game.

OverToad #911045 01/02/15 01:12 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: OverToad
[color:#FFFFFFf
It's hard to believe but Hoyer could be the best free agent QB on the market. [/color]

Well, you ask a good question..we gripe and complain due to the way we ended the season losing the way we did..how is Hoyer be viewed across the league? As a guy who got his team close and the coaches pulled him at the 11th hour? Funny, but by playing JM against the Bengals, you leave the window open to saying Hoyer could have won the game (since he did win earlier)..A stretch I know but...If you are another NFL team, and you watch film on Hoyer, why would you not bring him in? You could see teams try and come get Hoyer, maybe?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
Wasn't there some talk last draft that TB told his agent if the Browns called, tell them Thanks, but No Thanks?

That was a rumor, and one that Bridgewater dismissed.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ok, thanks, I did not hear that

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I wanted Bridgewater last year.

shocked shocked willynilly

Not sure why you are surprised, I made no secret of it prior to the draft.

Last edited by Damanshot; 01/02/15 01:37 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I would take Sanchez long before I would even consider Cutler. Cutler had everything a QB could ever want in Chicago last year, and what did he do with it? He had a good year statistically, yet still got benched for being so lousy. He got benched for Jimmy Claussen, for Pete's sake! crazy lol

Cutler is very talented, until you get to the areas above the neck. He has nothing there. He would be an absolute disaster here.

As far as Sanchez, the Jets went away from him being a cog, to him being the backbone, and he could not do that. However, they did him no favors when they made that change either. Look at who Sanchez was throwing to in his final year in New York. Here's a hint. they sucked.

out of curiosity, why do we think either Sanchez or Cutler would be that much of an updgrade?

Sanchez tosses a lot of INT's and his rating runs in the 70's..Cutler is known for taking changes and gets bad INT's as well, though has better stats yet not sure mentally he could survive here either.
Cutler has been to the playoffs 2x (1-1) in 9 years...Sanchez is 4-2 in playoffs..

Both of them should be as mature as they will get...Sanchez into season 7 while Cutler will be season 10...

Bottom line - would there upside be any better than Hoyer?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Re-sign Hoyer

Link Copied to Clipboard