Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
E
Legend
Legend
E
When we hired Kyle here - everyone pretty much had the same thought, fear, reality.

He was going to be here ONE season TWO at best case. Nobody had announced it - IT is one of those PERCEIVED FACTS.

Still in the long run this might be good. I could be wrong but I perceive a general lack of respect Shanny would give to Pettine. I think if he stayed there might have been a power struggle. I won't panic about this as by all appearances he was leaving - this gives us an earlier start on replacing him.

Loggains (I always think of a hair growth product when I read his name...lol laugh ) He opened the door wide to get BOOTED when he started leaking out quotes about our Draft room secrets. What do you think would happen if he started to state the Owner got a message and told him to tell the War room to "GO GET HIM". Haslam was going to keep him. Pretty dumb from the guy if you ask me.

But I think we let go of Shanny cause he was asking for permission to interview for lateral moves, if he didn't get the HC job. I don't think he's HC material but you never know. Might be destined for HC???

But with all these teams firing HCs we knew he wasn't going to be long with us, and then when OC jobs were inquired and Shanny wanted us to give permission. It was done pretty much then.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Unfortunately, I am sure this new turmoil has pushed Mack closer to exercising his opt out next season....we need to seriously consider drafting a center this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Shannahan wanted to bring in cousins, it didnt happen. He didnt want us to release Tate, that did happen. His play designs is great but he isnt the GM and I hope he takes that read option crap with him when he goes.

As for who do we hire, there are a lot of good coordinators out there. Koetter, Weiss but a name to keep an eye on is Scott Frost.

Legend
Legend

This gets a new thread but really it is the climate in Berea.

Now Haslam will put his spin on this. The soap opera continues; so much for continuity. Wonder if Haslam ever looks into the mirror and thinks "I need to be a better owner". Not likely.

It would have been very cool to have heard Norv Turner in his exit interview. Supposedly he gave Haslam an earful.

Haslam's prints are all over Berea now. The FBI are closing in. Did he really make the call on Manziel? Can he buy his way out of this like he did on the fraud case?

Who will be left standing if the Browns win 3 to 5 games next year with still no quarterback solution and a tougher schedule. Did Shanahan see the writing on the wall and force his departure?

Stay tuned and come back for: As The Browns Turns".

M
Legend
Legend
M
How big a setback can it be to lose continuity when the guy doesn't want to be here???

I understand the desire for continuity .... but if the OC is either causing issues or is just unhappy - surely this will be addition by subtraction?

There are enough question marks over the precipitous collapse in offensive production to wonder if Shanny is all that. Sure he came out of the gate flying - but was he entirely un-responsible for the slow down ? Does he get off taint free??? Not in my book.

Of the candidates No_Logo mentioned I'd take any of the top 4 - and I'd be happy with Weiss too.

Whatever happens and whoever we hire - I'll wait and see.

I do hope this is the only coordinator change.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I am so glad we didn't get Cousins.

I have never wanted anything to do with him, even after his one good game where he beat us ..... he is like the QB equivalent of another who shares his surname ... O'Neil Cousins.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
The soap opera continues; so much for continuity.

I don't see it so much as a soap opera.. We are not the only team giving permission for coaches to leave and firing others... It happens all over the league..

In order to have continuity you have to have many personalities willing to work with each other...Shanny didn't want to be here...Continuity never would have existed.

Legend
Legend
expect him to be the OC for his dad once again ... whether in Buffalo, Oakland, or SF.

Maybe Pettine will hire his old middle school coach who worked under him when he was the head HS coach

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
I just read that Hoyer and Shanahan did not get along. Shanahan did not like Hoyer changing his plays and they disagreed frequently on how things should be run. This gives a little credence to Grossi's "Hoyer is a know-it-all" report. However, I also read that when Hoyer went off script is when he played his best, particularly no huddle. So, maybe Shanny isn't as good as everyone thinks, and hopefully this points to bringing Hoyer back.

Also read that Pettine is plenty happy to see Shanny go.

I hate the turnover. But Shanny didn't want to be here. Can't keep someone under those conditions.

And Loggains ... who cares? What did he actually do anyway?

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Have always felt the same way.

Is it just me or weren't we the last ones standing on hiring a OC last year? After the ratbirds chose Kubiak over Shanahan we got the only viable thing that was left. That's the way I remember it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Shanahan did a good job - at least for the first 10 games or so. But, the hiring and everything seemed rushed and it just didn't feel right.

Isn't there a reason why no other team hired him last year?

All Pro
All Pro
I did want to see Shannahan stick around for continuity but if he didn't want to be here, better to find out in the off season. The Loggains thing though, I think speaks more to Manziel's future. Remember, he's the guy with the relationship, the guy that Manziel was texting with. Why was he fired until a new OC could at least decide on him?

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I remember reading on Cleveland Browns . com that Hoyer would call Shanny and tell him about a play he saw and would like to work on that play to see if it would work for his Offense..

That may have made Hoyer look like a know it all... or someone who just might know what works for him and bring out his best play..

I often wondered why the Hurry up No Huddle stopped being used when it seemed to work..

Shannys gone..got no control of it..Can only hope for a better Coach to come in.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It may have been other teams were worried he would ruin their QB.

After reading Rishuz
post..It looks as thou Shanny could have been the reason for Hoyers regression.

Speculation of course... seems like a possibility..

Last edited by DeisleDawg; 01/08/15 02:17 PM.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I just read that Hoyer and Shanahan did not get along. Shanahan did not like Hoyer changing his plays and they disagreed frequently on how things should be run. This gives a little credence to Grossi's "Hoyer is a know-it-all" report. However, I also read that when Hoyer went off script is when he played his best, particularly no huddle. So, maybe Shanny isn't as good as everyone thinks, and hopefully this points to bringing Hoyer back.

Also read that Pettine is plenty happy to see Shanny go.

I hate the turnover. But Shanny didn't want to be here. Can't keep someone under those conditions.

And Loggains ... who cares? What did he actually do anyway?

Rishuz, not doubting, can you please post the link to your find. If not possible, can you copy/paste please.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BpG
Originally Posted By: DIEHARD
Doesn't bother me. Shanny's use of Manziel was inexcusable.
I'd still like someone to come in who runs a ZBS.

Well, it wouldn't be a Browns offseason without some sort of coaching search. Let the speculation begin!

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well.

Also, with the was Shannahans camp handled this situation, it's hard not to think that Kyle was the problem.

Well the issues stem from certain things..first with Loggains, the stuff he did at the draft and afterward came back to haunt him.And it's n ot to guess that Hasselhoff hasn't 't liked being focused on for the Manziel trade .

Shanny..welllllll..there's a lot ..it's been noted Pettine and Shanahan didn’t always see eye-to-eye with the play-calling and utilization of talent, especially when it came to Shanahan’s reliance of the passing game and position QB Brian Hoyer was placed in on game-day and the two coaches had some difference in the talent within the Browns offense.

Hoyer and Shanahan often disagreed with how plays were being run and/or developed.
I can't phrase this any better, but there were issues going on with Hoyer/Shanny, with Hoyer changing plays in the hurry-up which irked Shanny.
He also wanted Cousins brought in..notice how it seemed he distanced himself from RG3 in Washington?
Get the picture here?
Of course if U read McManamon's column..it paints a different picture..

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/121366...leveland-browns

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 01/08/15 02:28 PM.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: no_logo_required
Who to hire? Well, I do prefer the ZBS particularly for our OL, but here are the guys that I would be trying to acquire:

Greg Roman - 49ers OC and possibly available since Harbaugh left.
Mike Munchak - Steelers OL coach, former HC Titans
Mike Tice - ATL OL coach, former HC Vikings
Greg Knapp - Denver Broncos QB coach, good history in ZBS and with QBs.
Mike Devlin- Jets OL coach
Clyde Christensen - Colts QB coach
Ken Dorsey - Panthers QB coach. Probably not ready for an OC job yet though.

Jim Bob Cooter - Lions QB coach. Not really, I just love the name and yes I had this before reading above, but I love that I'm not the first one to recommend his name!

also, I am interested to see if Pettine tries to grab some of the deposed Bills or Jets defensive coaches.

Two guys who maybe fit the ZBS are Geep Chryst and Nathaniel Hackett.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Great, yet another year of a Browns offense looking like they're learning a whole new playbook with a whole new set of personnel. The wheels on the bus go round and round. crazy

Yes, another new playbook for JM not to learn this season. Maybe they can get him an iPad that has just the 8 primary colors.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
sure is starting to look like Shanny was a sour grape and the reason for the offense woes..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
sure is starting to look like Shanny was a sour grape and the reason for the offense woes..

Truth is somewhere in the middle..I think Shanny had his issues and some more questioning his schemes..there were some odd things done in stretches and some odd things when Manziel was playing..it didn't look like he was prepared to play at all.
I have my own feeling about it but some of the things I saw in Pat's article I actually had read pertained to Petitine not Shanny..so I find it interesting..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guys like JT have to asking them selves " is it time ti retire yet " I really feel sorry for the troops ( no matter the money made).. The Media must love Cleveland !

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought adding stuff when Manziel came in was one of the dumbest things I saw all year. I expected us to simplify and protect the rookie. I did not expect us to come out and run plays they hadnt practiced since august. Again, I liked Shannahan's scheme but he certainly isnt flawless.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pettine brought in Will Montgomery and Andy Moeller, there may not be a blowup but a promotion for one of those guys. I think both did an outstanding job this year, and both did it with rookies learning a very complicated scheme.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BpG
parting ways with OC Kyle Shanahan and QB coach Dowell Loggains

No doubt this is addition by subtraction along with this and starting Manziel as being the justification for tanking the season and taking the top spot in the draft next year, when we plan to finally select a franchise QB.

thumbsup brownie

What? It could happen. rofl

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I view Shanahan leaving as a great loss. While many are jumping to some conclusions, I think there is a much bigger issue and questions left unanswered that give me much cause for concern.

Why did Shanahan want to leave? Was it pressure from the FO to play certain people in an attempt to override the coaching staff? Was it pressure to change his system? Was it that he saw so much dysfunction that he knew the opportunity to win here simply didn't exist?

Maybe he simply saw better opportunities elsewhere, but how would him resigning after only fulfilling one year of his contract really help his perception?

I'm concerned the problems in this organization my run much deeper than simply placing the blame on Shanahan.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
I'm surprised Loggains made it this far. After the draft I thought it was odd that he opened his mouth. If it wouldn't have been perceived as disloyal or perhaps a knee jerk reaction, I bet he would have been shown the door immediately !

Here we go Brownies, here we go....woof, woof!
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Why did Shanahan want to leave?

Possibly, he is the guy in hesrison's post, in the Berea thread. A whiney, entitled, Daddies boy who knows offensive football and little else. If the article he posted is anywhere close to being accurate we had a immature obsessive control freak as an OC. That gets old fast. As in... by the 10th game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While I'm not saying that isn't a possibility, it seems odd so many teams are interested in his services if there's an ounce of truth to it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One coach asking to leave doesn't make me feel there's a crisis in Cleveland..

It makes me feel he was the odd piece in the puzzle.. the one that wouldn't fit..

Players come and go and so do coaches.. it's a part of the game..

what the Browns need to do is simply get the piece that fits and helps put the puzzle together..

I see no great loss in Shanny leaving..

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
While I'm not saying that isn't a possibility, it seems odd so many teams are interested in his services if there's an ounce of truth to it.

Is he? So far, he is interviewing with the Bills. There are reports of other teams but how accurate.

Remember Pettine was the last hire last year. Most other new coaches already hired their OC. It wasn't like Kyle was a hot commodity.

I am not saying your deduction is incorrect or there is no reason to be concern. Pettine/Farmer don't seem to be the kind to cut lose quickly. Is this Haslam's doing? As you, this scenario is disheartening.

If Kyle was unhappy or didn't see eye-to-eye, I believe Pettine would cut ties. Being it is nearly two weeks after black Monday, this seems more like Pettine. He most likely thought it out getting advice before acting.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Yea, but how many teams were looking for his services last year?

He was pretty much the last man standing when we took him.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
...jc...

I'm not the least bit surprised that Shannahan and Loggins were fired.

Once the story became public about the front office meddling, texting the sidelines, I said, someone is gonna get fired over this.

It did not take a rocket scientist to figure out who were the "anonymous sources" for MKC's story yesterday and I believe Kyle and Mike Shannahan had a motive of their own going public with the news of texting the sidelines.

Once the story broke, Pettine knew who the source was and he too knew that he didn't want Shannahan on his coaching staff next season.

In this case, Kyle and Mike Shannahan had their reasons for burning bridges in Cleveland. Now Kyle is free and clear to go with his daddy.

I think Pettine should be the one to hire the OC, choosing someone he knows he is comfortable with..someone he knows he can trust to put the teams best interests first. Someone willing to stand up to our meddling management.

This does not excuse anything our front office did, crossing the line, pushing to get their boy Johnnie more playing time.

I would hope that Haslam and Farmer learned their lesson about meddling.

It was one of the most costly mistakes I have ever seen the Browns make in my 51 year of being a Browns fan.

The Browns, with a record of 7-6 about to face the division leading (8-4-1) Bengals "in Cleveland"...

...with the Browns coming off of a tough loss to the AFC South division leading Colts, by one point 24 to 25 the week before...a win over the Bengals would have put the Browns back in the playoff hunt.

... but,SOMEONE decided to "bench" Hoyer, who lead the visiting Browns to a win over the Bengals, 24-3, just 5 weeks before.

...Hoyer was benched in favor the BOSS'S PET, Johnnie Manziel, who texted the Browns on draft day that he was "ready to wreck this league".

In the biggest game of the year against the Bengals on Dec 14, 2014, Jimmy Haslam, Ray Farmer and Johnnie Manziel got their wish..their opportunity to "wreck this league" !!!

RESULTS...with Manziel at QB, the Browns offense generated 54 net yds passing and 53 yds rushing, in a 30-0 beat down by the Bengals.

Any hope of making the playoffs was now gone. SOMEONE made one of the worst decisions in Browns history, starting Manziel over Hoyer and it was not Shannahan or Pettine.

Shannahan wanted out from under the thumb of Jimmy Haslam and Ray Farmer and he (indirectly) went public, spilling the beans about management's over the top meddling.

If things don't change, if Haslam doesn't stop his meddling and if Farmer doesn't "grow a pair" and stand up to Haslam about interfering with the coaches, Pettine will be leaving after next season.

Last edited by mac; 01/08/15 04:55 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:
SOMEONE decided to "bench" Hoyer

my goodness, the revisionist history is strong these days.

Hoyer benched Hoyer. He was absolutely putrid for a month. The Indy game was the last straw.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Why did Shanahan want to leave?

Well don't get a headache thinking about it too long.

We were a last resort job last season. We pretty much thought he would be a candidate for HC interviews. Especially if we had any kind of success.

He wanted to leave for two reasons.
To become a HC which might or might not happen.
To commit to a lateral movement job which possibly would have his father get the job in San Fran as a two for one deal. He had full control and backing by his Dad and possibly he wants that environment back...of course there is Kapernick there for his dream Read Option Offense I think he wishes to put in.

His discomforts might be from being spoiled from the Freedom as Coach under his father and his early years under Kubiak who was mentored by his father. We did not have the same comfort levels??? That part is guessing, speculated. Bottom line we were always a temp job for him. 2 years top. Right opportunities came up this year.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Nolo...you got your wish...tell me, how did that Manziel lead offense do against the Bengals?

Do you believe Shannahan and Pettine wanted to start Manzile over Hoyer in the second Bengals game?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Did u ever think that Hoyer had the team in such a tailspin that no one could pull the team out of it. hell he couldnt even move the ball against the freaking Colts weak ass defense that Colt McCoy lit up the week before, despite being set up all game. I mean the Browns defense outscored Hoyer the 5 weeks before we tried johnny.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Nolo...this is for you...

Cleveland Browns, Kyle Shanahan part ways

Jan. 8, 2015 at 02:34 p.m.

In a bizarre offseason twist, the Browns are parting ways with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains after just one season, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday, per a source informed of the plans.

From a schematic standpoint, the move makes little sense. Shanahan and Loggains were more than admirable in 2014 considering a myriad of unfortunate circumstances surrounding the team's offense this season.

Not only was their first-round pick, Johnny Manziel, not NFL ready, but their No. 1 weapon, Josh Gordon, was suspended for almost the entire season. That resulted in a team still averaging 324.6 yards per game with Brian Hoyer at quarterback. Shanahan managed to put enough pieces in place to keep the team in playoff contention through almost the entire season.

Shanahan has been looked at as one of the brightest young minds in football, which makes the move even more puzzling. Unless he was let go under the assumption that he would be receiving a head-coaching job elsewhere, Browns coach Mike Pettine might have some explaining to do.

The timing is interesting, seeing as Shanahan is interviewing for the Bills' head-coaching job in Buffalo on Thursday.

The Browns will now have to start over with a new coordinator and position coach, hoping that this group will be able to install a system for Manziel in one summer that Shanahan and Loggains couldn't do in almost six months.

The belief was that Manziel could get better with repetition and experience in the offense -- which, believe it or not, included some elements that tailored to Manziel's strengths -- but will now need to internalize a new set of plays, checks, audibles and signals.

If it sounds difficult to accomplish, that's because it is. Veteran quarterbacks have a difficult enough time adjusting to new schemes, but moldable rookies are a different entity altogether.

Of course, Manziel could be part of the reason Shanahan was let go in the first place. According to NFL Media columnist Michael Silver, Shanahan was unhappy with having a quarterback switch "rammed down his throat" by management (Silver's words, not Shanahan's).

If this is more like a mutual parting of ways, then the next coordinator will certainly have his work cut out for him.

manziel

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Did u ever think that Hoyer had the team in such a tailspin that no one could pull the team out of it. hell he couldnt even move the ball against the freaking Colts weak ass defense that Colt McCoy lit up the week before, despite being set up all game. I mean the Browns defense outscored Hoyer the 5 weeks before we tried johnny.

mourg...do you believe the coaches chose Manzile over Hoyer to start against the Bengals the second time?

As bad as Hoyer played against the Colts, the Browns lost by only 1 point. Hoyer would be first to say, he didn't play well.

Compare the way the team responded with Hoyer at QB vs Manziel at QB.

...nuff said !

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This team is so hard to love sometimes. I'm just getting to the point where I simply can't invest my heart in it, lol. I swear, we're always spin spin spinning our wheels.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
Bottom line we were always a temp job for him. 2 years top...jmho

You are correct, eo'. This was discussed at some length when he was hired, so there should be little surprise here...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
This team is so hard to love sometimes. I'm just getting to the point where I simply can't invest my heart in it, lol. I swear, we're always spin spin spinning our wheels.

10yrs...Browns fans endure more freaking crap from owners than any team in the NFL. It doesn't matter who the owner is, either.

My wife is also a die hard Browns fan...I tell her, be prepared, the Browns will break your heart, every freaking year.

I wish I was wrong about that...but I'm not !

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns parting ways with OC Kyle Shanahan and QB coach Dowell Loggains

Link Copied to Clipboard