Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#913968 01/10/15 09:18 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I thought maybe it may be a good idea to start a thread where we can go to one place for OC talk..Since the search is on..

If not my apologies...

Just wondering how anyone here would feel about Rick Dennison..Not sure if the Ravens would let us talk to him..
He sure seems to have stepped up Flaccos Game.. Especially watching the Ravens damn near putting a win against the Pats..

C
Legend
Legend
C
I've heard Roman, Cavanaugh, Weis, DeFilippo, and Trestman as possible candidates.

I don't see why the Ravens would give us permission to talk to one of their assistants.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
So far, I want Roman on that list.

What about Texas A Ms OC?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Some would like to see the ZBS stick around.. Would any of those mentioned use the ZBS ?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
What about Texas A Ms OC?

He's 29.

Then again, I think Shanahan got his first OC gig around then.

C
Legend
Legend
C
That would be Jake Spavital. If we are going to roll with Manziel we need to think outside the box. Looking at Spavital would be thinking outside the box.

PDR #913980 01/10/15 09:34 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
A person's age shouldn't matter. Their ability perform the given task is all that matters.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
lso maybe someone from Baylor or TCU. Someone that puts their foot on the gas pedal and not let up, like Chip Kelly.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it."- Thomas Jefferson on Freedom of Speech
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
A person's age shouldn't matter. Their ability perform the given task is all that matters.

I don't know that a 29 year old with no NFL experience is a good bet to perform the given task.

And just for fun...the QB's Spatival has worked with are Weeden, Manziel and Geno Smith.

PDR #913988 01/10/15 09:42 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
All spread QBs who have had great success at the college level. If we are going to roll with Manziel we have to give him the best chance possible. Forcing him into an offense makes no sense.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I was thinking a Collage level coach could maybe be a benefit to Manziel .. If it's the plan to keep him..

Then I think if Hoyer stays would it be beneficial for him...

I would like to see someone who can come in and put some fire in this offense..

PDR #913992 01/10/15 09:46 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:
And just for fun...the QB's Spatival has worked with are Weeden, Manziel and Geno Smith.

They sure looked good at the collage level but at the NFL level .. Not so good good...

Good info to know PDR..

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
All spread QBs who have had great success at the college level. If we are going to roll with Manziel we have to give him the best chance possible. Forcing him into an offense makes no sense.

I don't expect us to make offensive philosophy decisions based on a guy who couldn't read a defense and admitted he didn't try.

If we do, I will be worried.

And if we attempt to run a spread, I'm just going to play 'Yakety Sax' on loop during every game.

PDR #913995 01/10/15 09:52 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PDR
I don't expect us to make offensive philosophy decisions based on a guy who couldn't read a defense and admitted he didn't try.

If we do, I will be worried.

Agreed. But I think the owner wants to give Manziel a go. If that's the case we have to give him the best chance.

My ideal situation would be to hire Roman, trade for Cutler, and run the crap out of the ball and let Cutler bomb it when he was the chance.

PDR #914013 01/10/15 10:12 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All three of those sucky Qb's did really well while under his tutelage.

Last edited by Jester; 01/10/15 10:13 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
C
Legend
Legend
C
. . . in college.

It would definitely be interesting to see how the spread would translate to the NFL. Oh wait, we already know, it works great.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
If being able to get bad QB's to perform well in NCAA spread offenses is indicative of potential NFL success, let's get Steve Spurrier on the horn.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Do you feel Cavanaugh was the reason why Cutler failed in Chicago ?

Jay had a decent supporting cast around him.. Wouldn't surprise me if Jay ends up with the Shannys somewhere.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It seems like Trestman and Kromer (Kromer is obvious) didn't get along with Cutler. I don't know what a QB coach even does on a daily basis, so I can't attribute anything to Cavanaugh.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I don't see why the Ravens would give us permission to talk to one of their assistants.

they know we would screw it up anyway.

Last edited by KNOXDAWG; 01/11/15 10:16 AM.

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Roman is rumored to be headed to Buffalo with Rex Ryan.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No tears here lol

Legend
Legend
I've heard Roman, Cavanaugh, Weis, DeFilippo, and Trestman as possible candidates.

Speculation will run rampant.. At this point, anyone with a heartbeat and experience coaching on the offensive side of the ball is a potential candidate.

that being said, the only team I've read we contacted for permission was the 49ers for Roman.... I'm not even sure that's accurate.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Out of the guys mentioned, Trestman would be my selection. LaCanfora is the only one to mention Weiss so we can go ahead and eliminate him lol. Roman supposedly will interview tommorow but sounding like he will be OC for the Bills. DeFilippo is interesting.

I saw Trestman make Rich Gannon, Jake Plummer and Scott Mitchell look competent. He couldnt fix Cutler but Jay appears to be gunshy and its hard to fix.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Out of the guys mentioned, Trestman would be my selection. LaCanfora is the only one to mention Weiss so we can go ahead and eliminate him lol. Roman supposedly will interview tommorow but sounding like he will be OC for the Bills. DeFilippo is interesting.

I saw Trestman make Rich Gannon, Jake Plummer and Scott Mitchell look competent. He couldnt fix Cutler but Jay appears to be gunshy and its hard to fix.

Jake Plummer had his 2 career highs for INT under Trestman. Mitchell was nowhere near his best season under Trestman. Gannon had a great season with Trestman as the OC, but Trestman picked up where Callahan left off there.

In a 5 years period, Jake Plummer missed games in only 2 of those. Tretsman was his OC for both of those. He was the OC in Frisco, and he maintained the offensive output he inherited, but he also got Young beat up. Tretsman was the OC in 1995 and 1996. Steve Young played 16 games in 1992 ..... 1993 ..... 1994 ...... then Trestman took over and Young played 11 in 1995, and 12 in 1996. He then played 15 in the next 2 seasons.

He seems to get his QBs beat up, to the extent that they miss games.

No thanks. He can take over a great offense and maintain it .... but I see little evidence that he can build a great offense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Can't stand Trestman and his finesse [soft} offensive philosophy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NEXT MAN UP!
Fred Greetham,Lane AdkinsFred Greetham,Lane Adkins
TheOBR.com

Next man up!
Lane and Fred on the latest in the offensive coordinate search

At least they aren’t looking for a new head coach!

Baby steps.

For the first time since after the 2012 season the Browns are not conducting a search for a new head coach. However, they are looking for a new offensive coordinator for the fourth-straight off-season.

In addition to a new coordinator, the Browns are also seeking a new quarterbacks coach after the departure of Kyle Shanahan and Dowell Loggains on Thursday.

TheOBR was first to report Loggains’ status on the Browns staff was in dire jeopardy leading up to the Browns season finale in Baltimore.

Alex Marvez of FoxSports.com was the first to report the moves and he reported that Shanahan asked for and was granted his release, while Loggains was fired. They each were with the Browns for one season.

The Browns next offensive coordinator will be their sixth in as many seasons. The last coordinator to last more than one season was Brian Daboll under Eric Mangini in the 2009–10 seasons.

Pat Shurmur was his own coordinator in his first season as coach in 2011, then he added Brad Childress in 2012. Norv Turner was coordinator under Rob Chudzinski in 2013, while Shanahan did so in 2014.

Mike Pettine had not worked with Shanahan before this season, and now must replace him. Several names have already been linked to the Browns job including Matt Cavanaugh, John DeFilippo, Marc Trestman, Charlie Weis and Greg Roman.

Roman, the offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers has been provided the opportunity to interview with teams and is considered the front-runner to join Rex Ryan in Buffalo, pending Ryan’s agreement to become head coach of the Bills.

TheOBR has learned Roman has been approached by the Browns and could interview next week for the team’s vacant offensive coordinator position.

Cavanaugh, who hails from the Youngstown area, was most recently let go as the Bears quarterback coach when Trestman was fired after the season. His history with Pettine goes back to 1993 at the University of Pittsburgh.

Pettine and Cavanaugh worked together for seven seasons in the NFL with the Ravens (2002–04) and the Jets (2009–12). Cavanaugh assisted in getting Pettine hired with the Ravens as a video assistant in 2002.

Cavanaugh was the Ravens offensive coordinator in 2000 when they won the Super Bowl. Cleveland.com first reported the Browns might be interested in Cavanaugh.

DeFilippo interviewed with Pettine last year and stayed in Oakland working with rookie quarterback Derek Carr as the Raiders quarterback coach last season. He was the assistant quarterbacks coach with Pettine and Cavanaugh on the staff with the Jets in 2009.

Former Browns CEO Joe Banner hired Loggains and followed-up by signing Shanahan, despite Pettine being very impressed with DeFilippo and wanting to add the young and energetic offensive mind to the staff.

TheOBR was first to identify DeFilippo as a candidate for a potential opening within the Browns staff late in the season following the continued turmoil within the Cleveland and Oakland organizations.

Weis was the former Patriots coordinator and Notre Dame coach, before most recently being fired after coaching at Kansas. NFL.com first reported a connection to the Browns.

Trestman was the Bears coach the past two seasons after coaching in the Canadian Football League prior to the Bears. He was the Browns offensive coordinator in 1989. ESPN.com first linked Trestman with the Browns.

TheOBR has learned the Browns have gauged Trestman’s interest in the vacant Browns offensive coordinator position in recent days. An interview with Trestman could occur following his return from vacation as early as next week.

It is expected the Browns will try and hire the replacements as six NFL teams are in the process of hiring head coaches and they will be trying to fill their coaching staffs.

http://cle.scout.com/story/1501031-next-man-up?s=149

Last edited by Jester; 01/11/15 11:45 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I would really appreciate a non-retread offensive coordinator. We know what all of these guys bring to the table. If Manziel is going to be the QB we need someone with fresh ideas.

Trestman would be a disaster, Weis has failed everywhere he has been besides two seasons at Notre Dame, Cavanaugh has been around for ages. Think outside the freaking box.

DeFilippo is at least young and has worked with a variety of QBs in different systems, but if they wanted him they could have had him last year.

I am fully prepared for an uninspired choice. It probably doesn't matter anyway, these guys are all going to be gone in a year anyway when Haslam throws a buttload of money at Peyton Manning to run the team.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Is it at all possible to just promote a coach we already have to the spot of offensive coordinator? To run a similar system and try to finally build some continuity?

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
Roman was my first choice. I think Trestman would be my second. I feel at this stage of his career he can take the talents we have and infuse his Offense knowledge into a tweaked play book. We just might have the best OL he has had to work with in a long time.

He has learned more about space and creating it.

What I do like is Shanny n Loggains was pretty much forced on Pettine. I'm sure he tried to make it work but fact is Shanny was not HIS GUY. A HC should have his guys, guys that he can trust, guys that think the same. Pettine has a good football mind not just Defense but I respect and trust his thoughts on Offense.

My positive in all this is he will get his guy here. Not so high on Cavannagh but he has a lot of knowledge. My philosophy is not alway have it my way - just buy into THE WAY and make it work, execute! Finish! It doesn't have to be with MY OFFENSE.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I do not know much about offense ( other than to defense them) what do you think about Flippio (sp)?

I thought I read that Pett wanted him last year... he also seemed to do well with Carr and that was a big surprise in my book.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
I thought I read that Pett wanted him last year... he also seemed to do well with Carr and that was a big surprise in my book.

Carr has always been a hard worker and a team guy. He didn't have a great year, but him looking prepared and competent shouldn't be a surprise I think.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Keeping offense simple - I think the key for NFL is to create space, to create stretch Vertical and Horizontal. The Plays stick them in if you create the Space you have a good chance of success run or pass.

What I do know about Fillipo is that Pettine wanted him with him last year - but Banner hired both Shanny and Loggains...odd how both showed a little disrespect and both leaked out info about the team. There was no loyalty to Pettine. You need loyalty. Unlike many and I'm a continuity nut. But sometimes change might be best. I don't care if Shanny is or is not a genius, I don't think he was remotely Pettines OC, I don't think he was remotely loyal to the Browns.

Fillipo probably was to be our QB coach. What do I want. I want a team here! All putting the Team first, loyal to the chain of command - Pettine and respect his authority. I don't care about the size of the play book, just execute what you do.

We see it every year somewhere. I young QB is there they dumy down the play book then they start to throw the kitchen sink and the entire team is off only to have a presser stating how they will dummy down the offense and things click. Its all about repetition and execution. You cannot go from 50 that are being executed to all of a sudden 300 mid season. They know the plays they just don't know how to Execute them.

As long as we got a guy with good leadership good knowledge about creating space and above all be able to have a team learn and execute the plays!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
N
Legend
Legend
N
j/c

Roman is the only named linked to our team thus far that I am interested in, sadly.

Also, I hate that Kubiak announced that he won't interview for HC jobs and remain as OC of Baltimore. I thought for sure he would be 1-n-done there. Ah well.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns will sign whoever's left after other teams sign the coaches they want.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: rockdogg
The Browns will sign whoever's left after other teams sign the coaches they want.

What good coordinator in their right mind would ever come to this mess? Our best receiver, Miles freakin Austin, might not even be resigned because he can't stay healthy. Our best QB and the only one that deserves to be on an NFL roster is a journeyman that is average at best. Our OL which is a little above average has absolutely no depth. Our best player on offense, Cameron, is one more concussion away from retiring and is a FA. We have a couple of young running backs that have shown some promise, but who I would also consider a "dime a dozen". Otherwise, sounds like a great job right? lol

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MrKelso
Is it at all possible to just promote a coach we already have to the spot of offensive coordinator? To run a similar system and try to finally build some continuity?

The logical choice would have probably been the QB coach but we can't do that because he's gone as well.

Not sure who else we have on the staff that could be ready to step up?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We still have a draft and fa period to improve this team. Whomever we get should be able to help in these endeavors.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A blast from the past has emerged in Cleveland's search for a new offensive coordinator to work with quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Chan Gailey.

A source told FOX Sports that the Browns are seeking to interview Gailey for the position that opened last week when Kyle Shanahan resigned after just one season on the job.

Gailey, who turned 63 last week, has spent the past two seasons out of football after being fired as Buffalo's head coach. Gailey's lengthy resume includes head-coaching jobs with the Dallas Cowboys (1998-1999) and Georgia Tech (2002-2007) as well as four different stints as an NFL offensive coordinator. One of them came in 2008 in Kansas City when current Browns general manager Ray Farmer worked in the Chiefs' front office.

FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reported that Gailey also is a candidate to join the staff of Arizona defensive coordinator Todd Bowles if he gets hired as an NFL head coach.

Gailey served last week as a head coach in the Medal of Honor Bowl game showcasing draft prospects in Charleston, S.C.

Gailey joins a Browns candidate list that, according to previous media reports, includes former Chicago Bears head coach Marc Trestman and two Oakland Raiders assistants -- Al Saunders (senior offensive assistant) and John DeFilippo (quarterbacks). A source tells FOX Sports that DeFilippo also could draw consideration as Cleveland's new quarterbacks coach to replace Dowell Loggains, who was fired last week.

Greg Roman, who was San Francisco's offensive coordinator the past four seasons, was set to interview Monday in Cleveland. Roman is instead in Buffalo hoping to complete a deal to become the Bills' offensive coordinator under Rex Ryan, who also is working on finalizing his contract as the franchise's new head coach.

Whoever is hired in Cleveland will be charged with trying to develop Manziel, the heavily hyped 2014 first-round pick who was a disaster in his six quarters as a Browns starter in December.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont think Gailey has been successful anywhere in the last 2 decades it seems.

Al Saunders immediately jumps to #1 on my list. I am a big fan of the guy. Sanders and DeFillipo would be the way to go.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns OC search..

Link Copied to Clipboard