Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
SGTB #916511 01/16/15 12:57 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: SGTB
Any schedule of visits or interviews yet?

So you didn't read the thread?

Legend
Legend
In thinking about this a little very casually, it occurred to me that I sincerely hope that we look past all the re-treads out there and instead dig deep and look at all the assistants out there, the guys calling plays in the CFL, etc... heck, even Pettine's father's people.

We dug deep to get Pettine and I think we have a winner with him; let's dig deep, far, and wide and come up with someone other than a "people's choice" type simply because he has name recognition.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I hoped for Callahan and DeFilippo .... but I will happily "settle" for DeFilippo.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
prp...It doesn't look like there are too many out of work OCs wanting to a job working for the Browns.
If we do land a high profile guy, it's not likely that he would be here long.

I was hoping that the Browns would give Pettine the power to pick an OC of his choosing, rather than having Haslam and Farmer involved in making the choice. After all, it's Pettine's job that will be on the line if we don't get an OC willing to stay a few years.

CONTINUITY...lack of it is killing this franchise...and that is not an overstatement.

Like I pointed out earlier, in an effort to establish more continuity, the Browns need to hire a OC and someone who will work closely with the coordinator...something like the Cowboys have...a position called Passing Coordinator.

Make the pay more than a position coach but slightly less than an OC. The idea is to keep your OC as long as possible, but have someone working as an understudy, ready to move up to OC if the OC leaves.

Worked well for Jones this year and I see no reason it would not work well here. It just a matter of finding a qualified OC first.

Finding a talented individual to fill the PC (passing coordinator) would be easier, I would think...might be someone who is young, with no or little NFL experience, but sharp enough to learn our offensive system in a couple of years.

It looks like the Browns were not prepared for something like this happening...hopefully they learn for their mistakes.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
Legend
Legend
C
The Buccaneers fired their interim offensive coordinator today, Marcus Arroyo. I wouldn't want him as our offensive coordinator, but I would love to have him as our QB coach.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It sounds like Adam Gase is not going to get a head coaching job. If that is the case we have to at least bring him for an interview.

mac #916555 01/16/15 02:41 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Actually you should be happy with the prospects of DeFillipo coming in and a friend of Pettine - sign on to be our Asst offensive Coach and QB Coach. As a precursor or signed but not announced until we get Saunders here and sign him as the OC.

I think we could expect Saunders to get an HC job soon leaving us in a year or two but we would have DeFillipo set up as the new OC and not miss a beat.

Possibly this is the plan all along.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Saunders is nearly 70 years old. He is never getting a head coaching job.

Legend
Legend
I'd like to thank Kyle Shanahan..

Because had he not left.. I have no idea what we'd be talking about right now..

The thought scares me.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
Legend
Legend
M
I agree. The chances of Saunders landing a HC gig are slim to none.

Manziel should be able to whiz through Saunders' playbook in no time flat, too.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: eotab
Actually you should be happy with the prospects of DeFillipo coming in and a friend of Pettine - sign on to be our Asst offensive Coach and QB Coach. As a precursor or signed but not announced until we get Saunders here and sign him as the OC.

I think we could expect Saunders to get an HC job soon leaving us in a year or two but we would have DeFillipo set up as the new OC and not miss a beat.

Possibly this is the plan all along.

jmho

EO...is there anything holding the Browns back from signing these guys? I won't be happy until the Browns have qualified individuals hired, creating a new position, passing coordinator or assistant offensive coach...what ever they want to call it.

Lack of CONTINUITY is killing the Browns...just ask Joe Thomas. Too bad we were not smart enough last season to realize we needed to hire more than just an OC..we needed Shannahan's successor hired last year, in an effort to head off the problem we now find ourselves in.

I think you agree with me...

Last edited by mac; 01/16/15 03:27 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
It sounds like Adam Gase is not going to get a head coaching job. If that is the case we have to at least bring him for an interview.

Irony

A year ago I was blasted on the board for saying that rejecting the Brown's job was the biggest mistake Adam Gase would ever make.

A number of Dawgs dismissed me and educated me on how it was a good idea for him to avoid us like the plague (how dysfunctional we are and all) and how he will end up getting a much better job if he turns us down and waits until next year.

Now we're looking at whether we might bring him in for an OC interview.

he he... sorry

C
Legend
Legend
C
It is also why Doug Marrone opting out was so dumb (even though he got $4 million for nothing). There are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs. If you have to the chance to grab one you should do it.

Legend
Legend
It is also why Doug Marrone opting out was so dumb (even though he got $4 million for nothing). There are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs. If you have to the chance to grab one you should do it.

He was going to be going back to a team with no QB, and was there was no guarantee that the owner was going to keep him once his deal was up. There was word that the owner wanted his own head coach, which is his right ... but for the head coach, he becomes a dead man walking. (and we've certainly seen enough of those around here lately) Coaches in that position generally have their "brand" damaged, often beyond repair. I think that he made a wise decision to get out, given the circumstances.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Saunders is nearly 70 years old. He is never getting a head coaching job.

OH a Youngster...lol

Well then change that from getting an HC job to Retiring...lol

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

mac #916593 01/16/15 03:50 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
EO...is there anything holding the Browns back from signing these guys?

Well going on memory I think they still have to Interview. Maybe its this weekend.

As for creating a new position. No, if you wish utilize the QB coach position as that apprentice in line position.

QB Coach from what I remember is a coaching position that was least involved after training camp and the season started.

No need for another.

The deal with Calahan was something I don't think you will ever see again. It was a transition from Garrett to what's his name. Calahan was there to run the OL.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
Legend
Legend
C
It seems like Marrone thought he had another job lined up (the Jets). If he could go back I bet he wouldn't have left.

Legend
Legend
It seems like Marrone thought he had another job lined up (the Jets). If he could go back I bet he wouldn't have left.

That might also be. Who knows?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Nobody knows. But it has to be quite a shock to the system to go from head coach to offensive coordinator by choice. And imagine he bombs as a coordinator, he will not get another look then either.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Defillipo for OC, Saunders for assistant head coach/offense would be interesting.

E
Legend
Legend
E
or that!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

mac #916608 01/16/15 04:17 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: mac
prp...It doesn't look like there are too many out of work OCs wanting to a job working for the Browns.
If we do land a high profile guy, it's not likely that he would be here long.

I was hoping that the Browns would give Pettine the power to pick an OC of his choosing, rather than having Haslam and Farmer involved in making the choice. After all, it's Pettine's job that will be on the line if we don't get an OC willing to stay a few years.

Why do you presume OCs are rejecting Pettine and/or the Browns? You are also assuming Haslam is in control. It could very well be Pettine is in complete control and not seeing these proclaimed top candidates to his liking.

bugs #916611 01/16/15 04:28 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
He doesn't know. Every coordinator we have been rumored to be interested in (besides Callahan, who got a pisspot full of money from Washington) has either come in for an interview or is scheduled for an interview in the near future.

Rookie
Rookie
UHHHHH Yeah..... you got any dates?????

Here we go again
Rookie
Rookie
Thanx. have been out of touch so was trying to see if a schedule was being met or something like that.

Here we go again
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He doesn't know. Every coordinator we have been rumored to be interested in (besides Callahan, who got a pisspot full of money from Washington) has either come in for an interview or is scheduled for an interview in the near future.

well no one has been signed, and they are not lining up outside Pett's office.. therefore no one has any interest in coming here.. isn't that how the logic normally goes?

maybe... and this is out of the box thinking here tsktsk... they want to finish the talking to viable candidates, maybe they want to talk to someone still in the playoffs, maybe they have already struck a deal and are waiting for the OC to help look for QB coach or the OC in training position, which is a good idea to me, but one could argue the QB coach should be that

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
C
Legend
Legend
C
In an interview I heard with Alec Scheiner (the team president) he said they want to interview all viable candidates before they hire someone. His reasoning was that was how they found Pettine.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Well if anyone of these candidates could be considered as Pettine's guy it would be this DePhillipo kid. They were friends and I heard was Pettine's choice to bring here last year (heard QB Coach). Maybe the interviews we had were dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

The favorites to get the job are coming this weekend in some kind of package or by himself???

Possibly this has been Pettine's guy. This weekend. Why do I remember Defellipo for the 16th??? Then Saunders.

We'll see I think this is it. Unless we are waiting for an asst. coach on one of the 4 active teams!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

Now that Callahan went to Washington. I can see Browns hiring Matt Cavanaugh as the OC with John DeFilippo as the quarterback coach. Keeping Andy Moeller and George DeLeone as OL coaches will help secure ZBS. As for receiver coach, I like either Sanjay Lal or Rob Moore.

Sanjay, per Holmes, "He’s a tough-nosed guy, very mechanical, loves to work on technique and doesn’t take any B.S. from the receivers."

Rob Moore helped prepare Watkins last year.

bugs #916786 01/17/15 12:38 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
who dictates what run blocking scheme we use? will it be the new OC or the HC?

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

For those complaining Browns are getting passed over, I think you need to take a look at what Farmer/Pettine are trying to build. They want a run oriented scheme. Coaches looking for a HC position what flash to attract attention. Pettine is looking for a OC who wants to run the football. With this style, it will take time getting noticed. In order for people to see, you have to win and continue winning. It is why I think Kyle left. It started out great, but once it fizzled people lost interest. As you can see, Kyle wasn't the hot commodity.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: KNOXDAWG

I don't have any direct connections within the Browns organization! LOL! I am only guessing Farmer/Pettine dictates. They stated they laid out the foundation. They need to stay true to it and continue adding pieces. If you look at the coaches still on the team and who left, it is obvious they want a something different in the passing game.

Legend
Legend

It appears that the Browns are destined to to change OC's every year so what does it matter who it is?

Pettine should just hire the guy he gets along with.

Just make sure the guy can adjust to the personnel he has to work with.

The reason being that Manziel most likely will not make it as a NFL quarterback. And who knows who else is going to be brought in.

The OC should be able to get the most from what he has to work with which includes the OL and skill positions.

At this point I really do not have a preference.

What I want to know is who is going to lead the team at quarterback?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: KNOXDAWG

I would venture that it is whoever is in charge of hiring the offensive coordinator.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
that could be farmer though.
let me rephrase this question......
typically who dictates what run blocking scheme a team uses.

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
bugs #916818 01/17/15 02:44 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Shanny has always liked running the ball and he always has, including last year. He didn't give up on the run like other OCs.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Shanny has always liked running the ball and he always has, including last year. He didn't give up on the run like other OCs.

I was by no means implying he was deviating from the run game. In the second half, Browns offense wasn't looking the prize, mostly because of lack of depth. If you were a coordinator looking to make HC, Browns offense is not something marketing your talents.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Lane Kiffin is the frontrunner for the 49ers OC job. Something tells me that Saban is not very happy about that.

E
Legend
Legend
E
So who do still have scheduled in interviews?

DeFillipo? was that done yet. Saunders? I think if we don't sign them...or DeFillipo (got a feeling he will be with us in some capacity) we have to be waiting for one of the playoff teams to finish their season. Is that an Obvious???

jmh?

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Lane Kiffin is the frontrunner for the 49ers OC job. Something tells me that Saban is not very happy about that.

Man, doesn't it seem like Kiffin has done nothing in his career but burn bridges? I would have to believe that Saban is pretty unhappy about it.

#gmstrong.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns OC search..

Link Copied to Clipboard