Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Swish #917571 01/19/15 02:58 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I don't understand any of this rambling about a QB. Let's look at it realistically. We had a rookie who played six quarters of football. Did he look bad? That would be a gross understatement. Is six quarters a fair amount of time for an evaluation? Certainly not.

Now let's compare QB classes. Almost everyone knows that next years QB class will be far superior to this years class. You could probably go four deep and still have the talent level of the top two in this years class.

So why aren't people looking at this the smart way? If JFF sucks as much as many believe, we will go into the 2016 draft with a very high pick with a wealth of talent at the QB position to choose from. No need to trade up or sell the farm to get one.

If JFF balls out, which I have no faith he will do, then we can build other parts of the team. I simply see no logic in selling the farm to draft a QB this year when one has maturity issues and nobody can say for sure if the other one can make the transition to the NFL game.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Swish #917579 01/19/15 03:23 PM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Im in the same line of thinking as you Pit. We made an investment in JFF. I think he will get this year to shine or flail. No need to blow up your draft for a qb this year. If JFF sucks then there is ample talent next year and we will be in high spot to get one.

Paco #917586 01/19/15 03:46 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
pit you do make a good point. Let JM play in 2015 and see what we have sink or swim. I was not in favor of giving up our draft picks this year either. We need those picks to shore up other areas of need. we can still sign a fa qb as a back-up. We'll need one anyway.

Paco #917587 01/19/15 03:47 PM
Legend
Legend
My only fear is that if we are in a high enough position to draft a good QB...

Well probably have a new HC and GM too...

I'm not saying Petting and Farmer should get 4 years regardless.. But it wouldn't hurt...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

I don't understand any of this rambling about a QB. Let's look at it realistically. We had a rookie who played six quarters of football. Did he look bad? That would be a gross understatement. Is six quarters a fair amount of time for an evaluation? Certainly not.

Now let's compare QB classes. Almost everyone knows that next years QB class will be far superior to this years class. You could probably go four deep and still have the talent level of the top two in this years class.

So why aren't people looking at this the smart way? If JFF sucks as much as many believe, we will go into the 2016 draft with a very high pick with a wealth of talent at the QB position to choose from. No need to trade up or sell the farm to get one.

If JFF balls out, which I have no faith he will do, then we can build other parts of the team. I simply see no logic in selling the farm to draft a QB this year when one has maturity issues and nobody can say for sure if the other one can make the transition to the NFL game.

What 4 QBs might you be talking about? I don't even see a decent QB coming out in the next few seasons that we will have a chance to draft. It's one of the reasons drafting johnny instead of Jimmy depresses me even more. Which QBs are you interested enough in to say next years draft will be better than this one for QBs?

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Off the top of my head:

Going to be a Senior next year:

Jacoby Brissett NC St

Possibly
Cody Kessler USC
Connor Cook MSU (a lot of people here like him - I personally do not)

Going to be a junior next season:

Jarod Goff Cal
Christian Hackenburg PSU
Gunner Kiel Cinn
WIll Gardner Louisville

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Always should be That Guy. The unwritten rule has always been if you do not have a Franchise QB you do not pass up on a prospect Franchise QB.

funny cause you moniker is what we are waiting for "THAT GUY" !

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm not impressed with Cook.

I'll spend some time looking up the others. Do you really feel any of them are franchise QB's? What do YOU like about them?

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend

I understand where you are coming from.
It is never right to blow up a draft.

I am in agreement about Manziel as far as judging him from 6 quarters of work.

However, 2016 is a total question mark. The players have another year of games so in my opinion you look at each draft year alone.

Winston and Mariota are both very good prospects.

Nobody has done what Winston did as a freshman and sophomore. He is every bit of a prospect that Big Ben was coming out. The character concerns most likely will not be chronic. And you have the opportunity to really check all that out.

Mariota in my opinion is a far better prospect than RG3 ever was.

He is not Luck as far as a prospect but he is not far behind. He has everything you would want except he played at Oregon.

Keep in mind you evaluate the player and the person not the school and the system.

Manziel was a first round pick (how I will never know).

But you have to see what he does this off season and what he looks like in camp.

At the same time there is enough evidence that he is scary as as a prospect. And in my mind you have to look at all options on the table.

If the Titans were willing to trade out: it would be foolish to not go after one of those guys.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish
I understand where you are coming from.
It is never right to blow up a draft.

I am in agreement about Manziel as far as judging him from 6 quarters of work.

Then you have described perfectly why we shouldn't blow up a draft on a project.

Quote:
However, 2016 is a total question mark. The players have another year of games so in my opinion you look at each draft year alone.

And let's do just that. Remember, we both already agree you don't judge Manziel based on 6 quarters of play.

Quote:
Winston and Mariota are both very good prospects.

One much more so than the other I believe.

Quote:
Nobody has done what Winston did as a freshman and sophomore. He is every bit of a prospect that Big Ben was coming out. The character concerns most likely will not be chronic. And you have the opportunity to really check all that out.

I agree 100% in what you're saying. The problem is we have 0% chance at ever getting close to landing him. I don't even see him as a part of the conversation.

Quote:
Mariota in my opinion is a far better prospect than RG3 ever was.

Another prospect I wasn't sold on and it seems many were fooled by him also.

Quote:
He is not Luck as far as a prospect but he is not far behind. He has everything you would want except he played at Oregon.

If I believe this were true I might have a completely different opinion on this. But we certainly disagree.

Quote:
Keep in mind you evaluate the player and the person not the school and the system.

That's all fine and well, but what that does do is leave a lot of unanswered questions about his ability to learn and do all of the things you haven't seen him do. At that juncture your "projecting" that he'll be able to do everything you've seen zero evidence of. I believe that is why we disagree about him.

Quote:
Manziel was a first round pick (how I will never know).

Well that makes two of us. Had you been in the same room with me when we moved up to get him, I have no doubt you would have not been comfortable.

naughtydevil

Quote:
But you have to see what he does this off season and what he looks like in camp.

At the same time there is enough evidence that he is scary as as a prospect. And in my mind you have to look at all options on the table.

I think he's a very scary prospect. I have no faith whatsoever in him. But I do believe that if an organization believed in him enough to move up and draft him in round 1, what does that say about that organization if they fail to stick with him for more than a year? To me it's not about what we as fans think.

It's this FO who believed enough in him to draft him in round 1. It's them who said he should sit all of last season. How much faith should any of us have in this organization if they write him off now?

Quote:
If the Titans were willing to trade out: it would be foolish to not go after one of those guys.

Having a shot at Winston sounds like something great IF you believe we're only a QB away from having a great franchise. I don't believe that to be the case. It would cost at least both 1st's this year, next years 1st and a second.

I don't really blame those for having this thought process but I simply don't go along with it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Jared Goff is a potential franchise QB. He has size, arm strength, and experience (he has already started two years at Cal). He also showed great improvement from 2013 to 2014. If he can take similar steps forward this year he will be in the running for the #1 overall pick in 2016 (if he leaves school early).

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I would not blow up this draft for a Qb. The game is still won in the trenches and we have issues there especially on D. We have plenty of draft choices to build up this team along with fa. Then, hopefully, we can get a decent qb to run things like a Carson Palmer or an Alex Smith. Sooner or later we have to hit on somebody. whistle

C
Legend
Legend
C
Winston, if his personality checks out, would be a QB you trade multiple first rounders for, but when the team picking #1 overall also needs a QB it is highly unlikely they will trade the pick.

Get Kevin Costner on the phone, he is great at making completely impossible trades.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly, this is not the year to do it. This is a good year to fill holes and build depth.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
I'm not impressed with Cook.

I'll spend some time looking up the others. Do you really feel any of them are franchise QB's? What do YOU like about them?

I don't like Cook much either. I listed him only because a lot of dawgtalkers do. I haven't done in-depth scouting on these guys just going by what I have seen when they have been on tv. The players I listed all throw a really nice ball.

My favorite by far is Goff. Quick easy release, good arm strength, nice touch, seems to be a leader. If he was going to be a senior instead of a junior then I would be all in for "giving up for Goff". I would happily go 1-15 if it meant getting the #1 overall pick with him in the draft. But no guarantees that he comes out.

All the pundits love Hackenburg. He is the prototypical size and arm strength for a franchise Qb.

I also like Gardner from Louisville but he got injured this year. Missed a lot of games with a knee injury but I can't find any more details on said injury. Some people question his accuracy but when you watch cut-ups of DeVante Parker you can easily tell when Gardner is in the game or when it is a different Qb.

draftbreakdown.com has a cutup of Brissett vs Florida St. I'd encourage you to watch it. You can probably see what you need to see in the 1st 4 minutes. Make sure to watch to the 4 minute mark at least. That play right before the 4 minute point is a Roethlisberger play.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Having a shot at Winston sounds like something great IF you believe we're only a QB away from having a great franchise. I don't believe that to be the case. It would cost at least both 1st's this year, next years 1st and a second. 

I think we have a better overall team than Indy. Their defense is terrible, their Oline is suspect, and their WRs beyond TY aren't much better than ours..

They were in the AFC Title game because they have Andrew Luck.

We (IMO) are only a QB away from being that level, and I think Winston has talent that's comparative to Luck. People just hate him cause he's messed up a few times..

Am I paying 3 firsts and a 2nd? No. But if he starts falling out of the top 5, you bet your ass I'm calling people and offering 12 and 19 to move up..

QB > Any combo you want.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Swish #917747 01/19/15 11:13 PM
Legend
Legend
Someone brought up a kid to me as a middle round prospect who has experience and a number of talents on which to build.... and that guy is Sean Mannion. I have been watching more of him lately, and he looks like he could be a mid round steal. He is not a runner, and he has a bit of a funky release, but he has experience in a pro style offense, can read the field, puts the ball on the money down the field, and he does a lot of good stuff on the field.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Jester

draftbreakdown.com has a cutup of Brissett vs Florida St. I'd encourage you to watch it. You can probably see what you need to see in the 1st 4 minutes. Make sure to watch to the 4 minute mark at least. That play right before the 4 minute point is a Roethlisberger play.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jacoby-brissett-vs-fsu-2014/

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Someone brought up a kid to me as a middle round prospect who has experience and a number of talents on which to build.... and that guy is Sean Mannion.

That was me. I think Oregon State (and Mannion) were really hurt by Brandin Cooks being gone.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Someone brought up a kid to me as a middle round prospect who has experience and a number of talents on which to build.... and that guy is Sean Mannion.

That was me. I think Oregon State (and Mannion) were really hurt by Brandin Cooks being gone.

I though that it was you, but I wasn't sure.

Man, he looks like a kid who could come in as a 4rd-5th round guy, and succeed. He seems to understand the game, he has a solid arm, and he has good accuracy, He appears to need to clean up his mechanic a bit, and to continue to learn how to read defenses. (and he appears to be ahead of others in this regard) It sure looked like his OL was not that strong in some of his highlights. He threw some balls that split defenders beautifully, and hit guys in stride in others. Man, draft him, add a plus level WR, and put him behind our OL with 2 smart receivers in Hawkins and Gabriel and we might have something. He probably won't be a guy who throws 35 TD, but he looks like a guy who could be a solid QB who can help a team win games.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't know if you have access to them, but if you do I would go back and watch Mannion's game from 2013. Mannion is impressive, but 128 of his 400 completions went to Brandin Cooks.

Also, Mannion is in the Senior Bowl this week playing for the north. The race for the #3 QB is wide open, so it should be fun to see how Mannion performs. He could really improve his stock because he is already used to a pro style offense and he will be throwing to more talented players.

I love to support the Pac-12 guys, so maybe if Mannion has a good Senior Bowl week I will jump on the bandwagon with you.

Another thing you might like to know is that Mannion's father is a high school football coach.

Legend
Legend
I just want a guy who we don't have to invest the world in, and who we could reasonably expect to pick the offense up quickly, and be able to start fairly early in his career. (as Wilson did) This guy is not Wilson, He is more of a prototypical pocket QB, with great size, and is in no way a runner, but he has great experience in a pro style offense, having experience reading the entire field.

He is a guy I would love for us to take a chance on, because we can get him later in the draft, and still have a pair of 1st round picks to use on our other dire needs. There is nothing that says that he has to start over Manziel, but if he beats out Manziel that's OK. If we also bring in a "bridge" starter, and then have a pair of young QBs, of 2 different types, I think that's just fine. Let the best man win!

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 #1 draft need: QB

Link Copied to Clipboard