Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

When the three of the players that Farmer traded for exhibit the same work habits something is wrong.

Scouting 101 you have to draft guys who want to work. Whose actions show they want to work. The coaches who coached them verify their work habits.

In addition Farmer was given a mission. Draft a franchise quarterback.

They conducted a lengthy study.
============================================

"Early last offseason, the Browns commissioned a study on the top quarterbacks in the draft, and the results said Bridgewater was their man. But by the time the draft rolled around in May, the sentiment shifted to Manziel."==========================================

How does that happen?

"The results said Bridgewater."

Farmer drafts Gilbert to beat out Skrine. He falls behind Desir and Williams. Can't crack the starting lineup.

Farmer trades up and drafts Manziel. He can't come close to beating out Hoyer.

He trades up and drafts West. Who really is outplayed by a walk on Crowell.

So having faith in Farmer as a GM is really a stretch.

His decisions will cost years.

So this coming draft I have no idea what he will do. I can only say I am not real confident.

If he finds a real quarterback I would be happy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish
How does that happen?

Did Parcell's interview of Bridgewater have an impact on the Brown's thinking? I don't know, just saying...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Quote:

"Early last offseason, the Browns commissioned a study on the top quarterbacks in the draft, and the results said Bridgewater was their man. But by the time the draft rolled around in May, the sentiment shifted to Manziel."==========================================

How does that happen?

bone...the Big Boss ignored the study and told the draft room to go get Manziel..end of story.

Now, maybe Farmer should get a bit of a pass because he was working with someone else's scouting department. Farmer was hired as an assistant GM in March 2013 when Mike Lombardi was named GM.

When Farmer took over as GM in Feb 2014, it was too late to assemble "his" scouting department, so he worked with the people Banner and Lombardi hired.

I've read that Farmer revamped the scouting department after last year's draft so there will be no excuses for Farmer in this draft.

If the Browns blow their two first round picks this year, like it appears they did last year, this team will be in deep trouble.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Farmer gets a pass on JJO because Haslam needed him for PR work. Sell tickets, jerseys, buzz, etc. His plan worked. Unfortunately, JJO is nothing more than a party boy (with an apparent problem now that he is in rehab) with a clipboard.

Hopefully, Farmer doesn't panic and waste a 1st on a QB. Hoyer, Shaw and an undetermined veteran FA should be enough. As for JJO, well, that negative circus needs to be shut down and shipped out of town. Enough.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Farmer's draft looks like the kind that haunts the team for 10 years.

Don't forget our draft class also consisted of Williams and DeSir who actually turned out to be quite useful in the slot and DeSir improved a lot and if he continues to develop can have us sitting good with the 2014 draft class regarding CB/DB. Also as you stated Gilbert can still make the transition.

QB as the 2nd pick, well first off not many teams get a second 1st round pick so it won't be something to set us back 10 years. QB has been a crap shoot regardless of all the ones saying they wanted us to take Carr or Bridgewater. Neither one is here and who knows how it will go. We took a crapshoot on JM and he still is younger than most QBs that will be coming out in 2015 as QB prospects. We'll see what happens. When you miss on your 1st and 2nd rounders for 3-4 years in a row that is something that sets a team back 10 years.

Don't forget we did get Bitonio in the 2nd round, he looks like he is here to stay.

I do agree the LOS are safer picks and I do agree in that it will not surprise me at all if we go that way with 12 & 19 just to make sure we hit pay dirt on our First Round Picks this year. At least at 12 maybe we will take a shot at more Raw some risk high Reward at 19???

I think Haslam in his we got to get a QB in 2015 was more an obvious statement he did clarify that he's talking about establishing that meaning we can't wait too long. If its JM he has to show us more than just glimpses he has to establish if not then another.

But if he is serious about those words - I don't think he's talking about the draft. It would be for a Cutler, Bradford or even RG3.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V

Does he get a pass on Gilbert, too?

Pffttt...........

I think the previous regime was told to study Manziel by Haslam.

I think Lombardi spearheaded that task.

I think Lombardi and Banner were against taking Manziel, mostly because of his personal issues, which strangely, were in New England's scouting report.......a team that Lombardi got hired by after he was hired.

I think one of the reasons Banner and Lombardi were fired was because Haslam did not like their evaluation of Manziel.

I think Famer and Haslam disagreed w/the scouting department and the coaching staff in regards to Bridgewater vs. Manziel.

I think that Shanny had a real disconnect w/the FO when they drafted Manziel.

I think Pettine understands how hard it is to get a HC job and is trying to patch the mess created by Farmer and Pettine together. God bless him! And give him the strength!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Wasn't that Patriot scouting report deemed a fake at the time of its release?

(The answer is yes.)

I think Haslam went rogue on the Manziel pick.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.............so how many of my "I think" comments are bogus? smirk

C
Legend
Legend
C
I have no clue. We will never know what happened with Haslam/Banner/Lombardi.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay..........

I like to read. Heck, I am a teacher and even though I am teaching Math and Science right now........I preach the art of critical reading.

I also have a separate degree in English. Points of study were Creative Writing and Literary Fiction. I like to read w/a critical eye.

I don't think the points I made are too far away from reality.

C
Legend
Legend
C
We don't know what reality is, so it is hard to say how far away they are. I have a hard time believing Haslam fired Banner and Lombardi over Manziel.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That isn't what I said. I am pretty sure that I said that was one of the reasons.........

If I did not say that, I apologize. I don't think it was the only reason, as "The Three Stooges" thing was huge. I simply think it was one of the reasons.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Biggest reason they were fired is because they embarrassed Haslam during the interview of Ken Whisenhunt. The leaking that chud would be fired during the final game was bad but the Whisenhunt situation appeared to be the final straw.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

BR: "Browns Considering Trade Up for QB, Mariota Top Choice"
====================================================

http://bleacherreport.com/cleveland-browns
===============================================

If the Browns land Mariota I will have to find a way to go to every game.

I will pull out all my Browns gear and wear it every day.

I will walk around with my Cleveland Browns helmet signed by Jim Brown on my head at WalMart.

I will watch every pre-season game and be glued to the tube. On opening day of the season I will need medication.

If Johnny College Football is good enough to beat him out then I will cheer for him.

All I want is a legit player at quarterback. I hope Manziel gets his life in order and is good enough to play in the NFL. It can only help.

But I really believe in Mariota. He will need time. As is the case for almost every quarterback coming into the NFL.

However, once he gets settled in the sky is limit.

Will it happen in the first year probably not but there will be indicators.

As each start goes by he will improve.

If he fails then I am wrong. But it will be worth the thrill to have some hope.

M
Legend
Legend
M

BR: "Browns Considering Trade Up for QB, Mariota Top Choice"
====================================================

http://bleacherreport.com/cleveland-browns
===============================================

I will pull out all my Browns gear and wear it every day.

I will walk around with my Cleveland Browns helmet signed by Jim Brown on my head at WalMart.

I will watch every pre-season game and be glued to the tube. On opening day of the season I will need medication.

If Johnny College Football is good enough to beat him out then I will cheer for him.

All I want is a legit player at quarterback. I hope Manziel gets his life in order and is good enough to play in the NFL. It can only help.

But I really believe in Mariota. He will need time. As is the case for almost every quarterback coming into the NFL.

However, once he gets settled in the sky is limit.

Will it happen in the first year probably not but there will be indicators.

As each start goes by he will improve.

If he fails then I am wrong. But it will be worth the thrill to have some hope.

I'm sure they are considering a trade up.

I'm sure they're also considering a trade down.

I'm also sure they're considering staying put at 12 and 19.

I'm pretty sure they're considering a host of options.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Isn't Jason Cole the guy who had the error filled report on Brian Hoyer several months ago? Something tells me he is making crap up.

I like Mariota. I think, given the perfect situation, he can become a very good quarterback. I don't think we can provide that situation. I also think he is too big of a risk to give up multiple first round picks to obtain.

If we somehow got Mariota, I would hope that John DeFillipo would immediately fly to the University of Oregon and talk to Mark Helfrich about things we have to incorporate in our offense.

Mariota can start his first year, but only if he is running the exact offense he ran at Oregon. If he is forced into a pro style offense and starts right away he will fail. He needs to sit one year at least. We have no one our roster that should start over him.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I preach the art of critical reading.

I also have a separate degree in English. Points of study were Creative Writing and Literary Fiction. I like to read w/a critical eye.

How did I miss this gem?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Perhaps because you don't read critically and are just hatefully critical?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

If we TRADE UP for Mariotta, I might just quit following this team. I am already disgusted w/their incompetence and poor decisions. Trading up for a guy who can't read coverages would simply verify how freaking ignorant Farmer and Haslam really are.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Put mariotta in last years class and he would be the 6th or 7th QB in my opinion.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think he would have been the first QB taken last year. He was clearly better than Bortles, Manziel, Carr, and Garroppolo. Bridgewater, with hindsight, should probably have been rated higher, but Mariota probably would have went before him.

Logan Thomas was the 6th QB taken in last year's draft followed by Tom Savage.

You are underrating Mariota.

Legend
Legend
I'm still glad the Texans got stuck with Savage. So dumb to not only take Clowney number one, but to let Minnesota trade ahead of them for a stinking 4th round pick and take Bridgewater. Are you kidding me. obviously they couldn't take Carr, lol. they deserved to get stuck with that old Nicolas cage stunt double.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It blows my mind that both Savage and Logan Thomas were taken where they were. Both had horrible college tape, but killed the workouts. I guess they were pure upside picks.

Thomas couldn't start over Ryan freaking Lindley. And Savage looked as lost as a QB can look in his limited playing time.

The Cardinals and Texans might have liked to have Aaron Murray, A.J. McCarron, or Zach Mettenberger over those guys when they were making a playoff push.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I think he would have been the first QB taken last year. He was clearly better than Bortles, Manziel, Carr, and Garroppolo. Bridgewater, with hindsight, should probably have been rated higher, but Mariota probably would have went before him.

I had Carr, manziel, Garoppolo, Bridgewater, Metlenberger and Bortles as my top 6 in that order as Bridgewater slid due to proday and Metlenberger due to physical but I have a higher grade on all of those than I do on Mariotta. I think he is similar to Bortles but i thought Bortles had more upside.

The big issue i have with marriota is accuracy. I think he can be a great QB but he becomes really stiff as a thrower and that is troubling to me. I liked Cam even though he had accuracy issues because he just looked natural throwing the ball and accuracy will almost always improve for a natural thrower but guys that look stiff have more trouble. I would let him sit for a year maybe 2 and just let him focus on being a passer.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I agree that Mariota is not a finished product and I understand why you have him ranked that way. He would have been the first QB taken last year on upside alone.

(Side note: It turns out that Mettenberger had major character issues on top of his injury which is why he plummeted in the draft.)

Legend
Legend
If we traded up, it better be for Winston, and only after we signed 2 WRs and a pass rusher in FA...

I honestly think Winston could come in and win right away, but I predict we may shy away from him due to having just already dealt with an immature QB.

Trading up for Mariotta would be a disaster IMO.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
If we traded up, it better be for Winston, and only after we signed 2 WRs and a pass rusher in FA...

I honestly think Winston could come in and win right away, but I predict we may shy away from him due to having just already dealt with an immature QB.

Trading up for Mariotta would be a disaster IMO.

After the fiasco with Manziel and Gordon, I would almost bet good money that we don't touch a guy like Winston, who himself also comes with significant risks, based on his behavior in college. (and I am a guy who said, in Winston's 1st season, that he was a future 1st draft pick)

If the Browns had not had such a mess with Manziel and Gordon, then maybe they try to trade up, at high expense, and take Winston ..... but I just don't see it happening with those 2 shadows hanging over the franchise.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
If we are going to trade up would just trade up to #2 and take whoever the Bucs don't take.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Mariota and Winston...pass. Stick to YOUR board...take BPA...hopefully we land a WR, pass rusher and C/OT. That would be a solid draft addressing some critical needs.

Elite QB? Not in this draft.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Everybody is entitled to their opinion on who to draft. Who not to draft. How to draft and where to draft.

We can debate that till Cleveland sees 80 degrees in February.

One thing remains crystal though. The Browns have to find a quarterback that can lead a team and play at a high level consistently for years to come.

Draft picks are great to have "if" you use them wisely. The Browns record with first round picks? Not too hot.

Mariota? Winston? Manziel? Weeden? Quinn? etc. etc.

Keep swinging baby. Even a bind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Keep swinging baby. Even a bind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

We aren't the blind squirrel. We are the squirrel that is flat in the middle of the road.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Perhaps because you don't read critically and are just hatefully critical?

No, it's just that I have a hard time buying the notion that a guy who isn't very well spoken and struggles to defend basic thesis arguments is a critical thinker with multiple degrees.

Critical thinkers don't let their emotions launch them into seething anger, nor do they tend to make baseless, heat-of-the-moment statements they have to run away and hide from because there's no defense of them.

M
Legend
Legend
M
"And boom goes the dynamite."

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
'We've got to get a new owner' in 2015

Legend
Legend
Sorry Jimmy, your CEO screwed the pooch and lost what little chance you had at getting that FA QB. And wait until you loose a draft pick. Might as well draft just OL to protect the 3 QBs we'll eventually field in 2015.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V

No offense, but Mariotta can't read coverages. He isn't even close to a couple of those qbs. He's more similar to Manziel than anyone.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Right. But based on upside alone Mariota would have been the first pick taken.

Legend
Legend
Right. But based on upside alone Mariota would have been the first pick taken.

He was spoken of as being the top pick last year until he decided to go back to school.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Hell, at this time last year both Bridgewater and Manziel were talked about as the first pick. Never know. Mariota may end up available when we pick at 19. (not advocating we draft him)

Legend
Legend

When the three of the players that Farmer traded for exhibit the same work habits something is wrong.

Scouting 101 you have to draft guys who want to work. Whose actions show they want to work. The coaches who coached them verify their work habits.

In addition Farmer was given a mission. Draft a franchise quarterback.

How does that happen?

Farmer drafts Gilbert to beat out Skrine. He falls behind Desir and Williams. Can't crack the starting lineup.

Farmer trades up and drafts Manziel. He can't come close to beating out Hoyer.

He trades up and drafts West. Who really is outplayed by a walk on Crowell.

So having faith in Farmer as a GM is really a stretch.

His decisions will cost years.

So this coming draft I have no idea what he will do. I can only say I am not real confident.

If he finds a real quarterback I would be happy.

How much of that was Farmer and how much was Haslam meddling? At this point I'm fed up from the top down. Haslam needs to hire decent people, which I think he has done, then he needs to get the hell out of the way, which he apparently has not done.

When he bought the Browns it was a big deal that Haslam was visiting with Kraft and others about what it takes to build a successful organization.... is this what they told him to do? Exercise veto power over good trade opportunities, go with your uneducated gut on draft picks?

yebat' Putin
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Haslam: 'We've got to get a quarterback' in 2015

Link Copied to Clipboard