Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Legend
Legend
Makes sense to me, Rish. Reading lots of posts, few good. So some thoughts I have had:

I think Manziel's starts were a "need to know" basis. We had to see in real NFL game time what JM had or lacked, and gave him a shot or two because A) Hoyer was stinking it up regularly; and B) the contract status going into off-season and the draft concerning Hoyer. Shaw's start was just inept play by Manziel. I thought he gave us all he had.

My solution seems too simple. Tell the agent that Hoyer will be starting and need to keep the job against any and all comers. Load the contract with incentives. I can't see FA cash in the cap being spent more wisely than on your QB. Not perfect, but if it gets us out of a holdout situation, good enough. Send whatever messages and concerns in addition to starting are needed. Some fences need mended in the asylum to go forward. nail this down.
Going into the draft, be as harsh as you like about the reality of Hoyer's proven skill set. Then prop him up with FA and draft. Get him a couple decent receivers, another interior lineman or so, maybe a veteran RB who is solid. There are multiple ways to improve a QB; system, people, coaching and others make up a scheme which can shore up the next man up. We haven't done much for offense, and Hoyer should benefit from some enabling. You need a year's fix, and he could be your long-term solution at back-up and a mentor. Not a perfect solution by any stretch, but the NFL is NOT a perfect world. It is time to salvage and improve as best we can.

I like the oriental mindset for business: "Do not fix blame (any of that on this board?).
Fix problems. Probably what we can manage next season may well not be enough. But today is a good day to set the best pieces possible in place for the future. Who ever replaces Hoyer whether by injury, performance, or any other reason, should benefit from this. The negativity and blame-fixing isn't constructive. Do something different for different results.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The agent only holds leverage if the Browns feel that he holds that leverage. I don't think they do because I don't think the Browns really want Hoyer back. We'll see what they think in the next month or so.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: crazyotto55
The agent only holds leverage if the Browns feel that he holds that leverage. I don't think they do because I don't think the Browns really want Hoyer back. We'll see what they think in the next month or so.

I don't think they want him back, either.

I wouldn't expect a reunion between Hoyer and the Browns, but it all depends on what else is available for either side.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
If they promise Hoyer the starting job I may be done with my season tix. I don't mind a competition, but he did not earn the starting job.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg
If they promise Hoyer the starting job I may be done with my season tix. I don't mind a competition, but he did not earn the starting job.

If you go off of last year's performance, I'd say its a safe bet that Hoyer is the best on the roster; however, that is not saying much.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I have no real proof, but I think that Pettine would want Hoyer back and I don't think Farmer and Haslam want him back.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: HewDawg

If you go off of last year's performance, I'd say its a safe bet that Hoyer is the best on the roster; however, that is not saying much.

I don't disagree with that, but he should not be assured the starting job.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PDR
Originally Posted By: crazyotto55

I don't think they want him back, either.

I wouldn't expect a reunion between Hoyer and the Browns, but it all depends on what else is available for either side.

That's the issue, I don't see many better options. Do you?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
... he should not be assured the starting job.

Of course not! As our QB roster is presently constituted, Hoyer is clearly the best. However, I don't believe I'm alone in saying that come TC, our roster will be somewhat more "crowded"...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 02/09/15 07:40 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
It's not that comment but one from a few days ago.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

On the upside, we know what we have when Hoyer is playing at his best, a strong leader with an adequate arm and decent accuracy who can get the job done. Admittedly, not much upside beyond that but under the right set of circumstances (strong running game and top ten defense) you don't need more than that.

I honestly think that Hoyer's performance last year has to be viewed as a rookie performance. His "regression" or "degeneration" or whatever you want to call it began right around the Texan/Atlanta games and tail spun from there. Just when he happened to have 16 full NFL game starts under his belt. Add to that the incredible amount of work he put in returning from the ACL injury and all the balls he threw getting ready for the season and working to win the starting job, it's no wonder he hit a wall. In addition, with the loss of Mack, and the loss of Austin for the last four games, Cameron for three of those last seven games, with Gordon coming back with zero fire and poor route running, and having Shanahan with one foot out the door, those last games starting with Houston have to be viewed with greater scope beyond simply faulting Hoyer for the team's losing streak.

In my view, you have to bring him back because he could very well be the best option available to the team at this particular point in time. Add some playmakers like some legit WRs and a healthy pass catching TE, then couple that with a year of experience under his belt, a "normal" off season and the fact that he has something to prove, and I would sign him, start him, and go from there.

I don't want Sanchez. I don't think we will get Mariota, and if we did, he's a year or two away from being an NFL starter, IMHO. Manziel has Manzieled himself into "questionable at best" status. And Glennon is another huge question mark. So, if stability is the goal, and we want to take a step forward instead of going through just another "start over" season, Hoyer may be our best option. While Mariota may be sexy, Hoyer may actually be the answer.

JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

I don't understand all this - Our FO don't want Hoyer back - as I make sure I'm reading the title of this thread.

BROWNS REACH OUT TO BRIAN HOYER'S CAMP about extension.

Yep I read it correctly - well did we or didn't we. If we did where is all this we don't want him stuff???

Do we think he is our answer to a Franchise QB, no I don't think Pettine nor Farmer thinks so.

But if you notice Hoyer has been talking more and more as if he is a Brown, commenting as if he was the part of the team in his press stuff about Manziel going to rehab. Several other comments I read from him all having to have a claimer put in saying he's not a Brown right now - but this about he understands why he was pulled and that about Manziel.

I don't know of course but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't sign him soon. If we don't its cause they think they can get a better offer but will give us a right to refuse after its made??? Of course once FA start we won't stand still. Nobody does. Either he's a Brown then or he isn't.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
From what I read on here, it's not the Browns that don't want him back, it seems that people are saying that farmer doesn't want him back but Pettine does.

I'm not sure what's happened to make anyone think those things.. But so be it.

But add in that Hoyer met with Flip (at Flips request) and supposedly came away feeling positive, To me it seems to scream they do want him back.

It's one of those take it for what it's worth kinda things..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
it seems that people are saying that farmer doesn't want him back but Pettine does.

Not an insult but yeah I can read and got that also "SOME" actually only Vers said that...the rest never mentioned Pettine at all.

But I would like to say...just who REACHES OUT to ones camp about an EXTENSION? On our team that would be FARMER.

I mean so many times I'm told I'm not being realistic. I don't get this, reality is the GM Farmer acting on the behalf of the Browns "REACHED OUT"

jmho but more fact than opinion. Only missing is the word FARMER but that is his job description. Not playcalling.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't doubt that Farmer was responsible for the Browns' contact with Hoyer, but what remains to be seen is whether they really want to sign him, or if they are just looking for cover with fans that support Hoyer. They could still make a lowball offer and then shrug and say "Hey, we tried." when he leaves. I've seen the Indians do that for years, hope the Browns don't follow.

Legend
Legend
Not taken as an insult, it's just that sometimes, people miss posts.. no harm no foul

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
So, realistically, what other besides the Browns does Hoyer have a legitimate shot to be the starting QB?

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Jets
Bills
Redskins
Cardinals
Titans

All are in some form of disarray. Not that Hoyer would fit what each team wants, but it's possible.

Realistically, his best shot is here in Cleveland.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DaveyD
So, realistically, what other besides the Browns does Hoyer have a legitimate shot to be the starting QB?

He might have a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere else, but he would not be familiar with the coaching staff or his teammates.

Maybe the Bills because they lost Orton. I think that Hoyer can beat out E.J. Manuel.

The Jets, but I think they will hope to draft a QB and if not they will go with Geno again.

Houston is a good fit because of Bill O'Brien, but I don't see how Hoyer can beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Tennessee has Mettenberger and the #2 pick. Hoyer doesn't seem like a Whisenhunt QB though.

St. Louis doesn't really have anyone very good, that might be a fit. My guess is that they try and restructure Bradford's deal and give him one more go.

Those are the only places I can see Hoyer going and having a chance to maybe start. That's six teams including us. Some of those other teams will prefer guys like Sanchez, Mallett, Locker, Moore, etc.

Bottomline, Hoyer doesn't have many great options. We our probably his best option.

E
Legend
Legend
E
or if they are just looking for cover with fans that support Hoyer.

After his 1 TD 8 INT finish I don't think there is this over whelming FAN Support out there for Hoyer.

What ever decisions they are making it is for Winning in the future. They understand that is the #1 appeasement of the fans.
Also more important is the reflection our moves make to the agent. If it is just bs...that is a bad reputation that would spread to other agents. People here are more worried about the myth of how bad we are and FA won't sign but nothing about something like this and if we are not sincere how it effects us and agents. Our true ace in the holes for recouping FAs. wink

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Even Hoyer himself said that a lot will depend on what were in the texts. While some fans wish to make the entire thing a non issue, Hoyer made it clear just how much dysfunction can play into the decisions of FA's.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Even Hoyer himself said that a lot will depend on what were in the texts.

I read it to be more on the reasons why Shanny wanted out of his final 2years of his contract was the thing that had meaning to him. As in he left because the FO told Shanny that Manziel was the starter in 2015 no Ifs, ands or buts about it. He already told all he's interested in signing with the Browns "IF" he had a solid chance on competing for the Starting QB Position. Nothing about dysfunction, Shanny leaving, text gate. He wants an honest shot to start. So to me I read that to be if Shanny left cause Manziel was being forced upon as THE STARTER...then that will definitely have a cause and effect in signing here.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
“It obviously will [affect my decision], I think,” Hoyer said Saturday during an appearance at the Great Big Home and Garden Show at the I-X Center. “I’m going to make the best decision possible. To read the stories and see what’s going on, I’m just as interested as you guys are to see where that comes out, especially because when you read it, it has to deal with the quarterback situation and play calling. That’s something that could affect how I feel about it.”

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/browns...ksEnabled=false

I believe you are right about that from his quote. But do you honestly believe that top flight FA's will want to go somewhere that the coaches don't have final say in who plays? Where there is meddling coming from outside the coaching staff?

When you combine that with a losing team for so long, I believe there is a lot of merit for those who contend this wouldn't be an attractive destination for such FA's.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I definitely believe there was text made during the game about playing.

Heck even myself questioned the play calling and it confused me to no end on what the game plan was when JM was in. Still it doesn't make it right.

But how does this say anything about forcing what the coaches had to do. It had to do with what seemed like some seriously bad moves by Shanny. They went about it in the wrong direction. As for Shanny leaving. Pfft some people say I'm gullible... Come on man the guy wanted to leave, the guy didn't even want to be here. He turned us down and couldn't get a better gig then took it. Then a boat load of opportunities pop up in 2015. Yeah yeah, the Browns made it UNBEARABLE yeah thats what happened. Yeah ok.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think it has to do with they needed each other until....Well until they didn't

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Jets
Bills
Redskins
Cardinals
Titans

All are in some form of disarray. Not that Hoyer would fit what each team wants, but it's possible.

Realistically, his best shot is here in Cleveland.

I would love for Washington to sign Hoyer and trade for Weeden, while keeping Colt. We could have a full fledged battle of ex-Browns QBs for the right to start in DC!!!

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know Tab, even Hoyer said "He didn't leave just to leave". Maybe you should send Hoyer an e-mail?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
tab, you made fun of two lines of thought. You even mentioned my name in one of them. You say that you don't think the texting will affect Hoyer's decision and you don't believe what I said about Pet and Farmer. Here are two quotes for you:

Quote:
To read the stories and see what’s going on, I’m just as interested as you guys are to see where that comes out, especially because when you read it, it has to deal with the quarterback situation and play calling,” he said, referring to the reported subjects of the texts. “That’s something that could affect how I feel about it. I’m looking forward to see what comes out of that.”

Quote:
Hoyer has been in communication with Pettine and gave new coordinator John DeFilippo a rave review after meeting with him. Hoyer said he received a text from Farmer in the offseason about meeting, but it hasn’t happened yet.

What say you now?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
B
Originally Posted By: eotab
it seems that people are saying that farmer doesn't want him back but Pettine does.

Not an insult but yeah I can read and got that also "SOME" actually only Vers said that...the rest never mentioned Pettine at all.

But I would like to say...just who REACHES OUT to ones camp about an EXTENSION? On our team that would be FARMER.

I mean so many times I'm told I'm not being realistic. I don't get this, reality is the GM Farmer acting on the behalf of the Browns "REACHED OUT"

jmho but more fact than opinion. Only missing is the word FARMER but that is his job description. Not playcalling.

"Reaching out" could be an effort to save face if they really did not want him here. Is offering him 2,000.00 to play considered "reaching out"? I'm being facetious here but exactly what would be considered "reaching out"?

IMO they no longer want Hoyer in a Browns uni. Hope I'm wrong.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Cjrae
B
Originally Posted By: eotab

"Reaching out" could be an effort to save face if they really did not want him here. Is offering him 2,000.00 to play considered "reaching out"? I'm being facetious here but exactly what would be considered "reaching out"?

IMO they no longer want Hoyer in a Browns uni. Hope I'm wrong.

Well, to start out with, making the phone call or email to his agent and him.

Another way of reaching out is having the new OC (flip) reach out to him to sit down with him and tell him what the plan is going forward for the Offense.

Money aside, the first thing is they just need to talk. Money will be there if we want him. It won't if they don't. That will tell the story.

I get the sense that all things being equal, he wants to be here. Fact is, I can't really think of another place where he'd have a better chance to start than here.

But here's the question (and some may have answered it already)

If not Hoyer, who do you want the Browns to go out and get?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
I didn't know where to stick this, this seems like a good spot:

Quote:
Washington HC Jay Gruden said Robert Griffin III will enter next season as the team's No. 1 QB.

Ulrich

I don't really care about RGIII, but this probably means Cousins is available. I personally don't want Cousins, but other people have mentioned him as a possibility in the past.

D
Legend
Legend
D
RGIII, I mean I don't want to sound stupid or anything, but - is this a make it or break it type year for the kid? If he doesn't come out and show improvement as a pocket passer, ability to stay on the field for an entire season and etc, I'm not even sure Subway will still want to endorse the kid anymore.

As for whoever free agent QB we sign or trade for, whatever - I doubt anyone is really going to be peaches and cream about it. Cousins is yet another one of those "eh" QB's.

JMO

Legend
Legend
Cousins is what he was in college ....a bum.

Honestly, other than the fact that he played well against us a couple of year ago, I find it impossible for anyone to look at his body of work and say "Wow! We gotta get that guy!".

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't see a "WE gotta get this guy!" anywhere, do you?

#gmstrong
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Yes, unfortunately Cardale Jones didn't enter the draft.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Best options right now would be Mallett and Locker both have big questions but behind our OL and with our run game and defense, they could be our guy if Johnny proves he isnt.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

There sure were a LOT of them last year.

Just trying to head off the inevitable ...... rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I was in some of them myself.

And we didn't get that guy.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep, the majority of posters were dead-set against drafting Teddy.

If we would have drafted Teddy, we would not be having all these discussions about needing a QB this year.

Maybe that is why we didn't take him? What would a Brown's message board be w/out talking about which QBs we should go after?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I still have EXTREME doubts about Teddy. I think he is WAY overrated in some of you peeps' minds.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns reach out to Brian Hoyer's camp about extension

Link Copied to Clipboard