Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Cleveland Browns Rumors: Johnny Manziel Not Planning To Play In 2015, Browns Looking For New Quarterback

Posted: March 13, 2015

The Cleveland Browns are facing some difficult rumors after sources close to Johnny Manziel say the troubled quarterback is ready to sit out the 2015 season.

After a successful college career at Texas A&M and high hopes for his NFL career, Manziel had a difficult first season in Cleveland. He struggled to see the field, and in his brief stint as a starter looked out of place. There were rumors from the Browns locker room that Manziel was too focused on partying and living the life of a celebrity and not focused enough on learning the play book.

This offseason Manziel announced that he would be going to rehab, and the team stood behind the decision.

“I applaud him for raising his hand and saying ‘I need help,'” said owner Jimmy Haslam. “We’re going to do everything we can to support him. Our primary interest is making sure that he gets well, if you will. Fixes himself.”

But at the same time, the Cleveland Browns appeared to be looking for a new quarterback. The team hired new quarterback coach Kevin O’Connell, one who happened to be working with top quarterback prospect Marcus Mariota.

Many league sources said they believed it was an attempt to circumvent strict no-contact rules with college players, but the Browns denied that was the case.

“I can see why they would say that. Let me say this. We didn’t hire Kevin because he’s training Marcus,” Haslam said. “We didn’t hire him because he trained Johnny last year. We hired him because — and I’ve never met Kevin, let me say this — but our people, particularly [coach Mike Pettine], think he’s a very, very smart, competent offensive/quarterback coach. So I think it’s important to understand that’s why we hired him. OK?”

Now it appears there may have been truth to the rumors of a new quarterback for the Cleveland Browns. On his ESPN radio show, Tony Rizzo noted that sources inside the organization claimed Johnny Manziel would miss the entire season.

“I have to bring this up, I feel obligated to, and I’m not gonna reveal sources, but I have from good sources of mine, people that I’ve trusted in the past who’ve been right, not wrong, they say Johnny will not play at all this year,” Rizzo said.

Quote:
Sports Buzz OHIO @ClevelandBadGuy
Follow
WOW BREAKING NEWS: @TheRealTRizzo said a source very close to him said Johnny Manziel will not play in the 2015 @NFL season #SameOldBrowns
10:24 AM - 13 Mar 2015

If the rumors are true, then the Cleveland Browns could likely try to move up in the NFL Draft in May, finding a quarterback who can replace Johnny Manziel.

link

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not surprised, but it would be disappointing if true.

One thing I don't understand, though. Why do they keep talking about this connection between O'Connell and Mariota?

I understand that he worked w/him this year, but the first thing I thought of when they hired the O'Connell is that he worked w/Manziel the year before.

Doesn't the latter connection make more sense?

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I was listening to the radio when I heard this come out of Rizzo's mouth...

On his ESPN radio show, Tony Rizzo noted that sources inside the organization claimed Johnny Manziel would miss the entire season.

“I have to bring this up, I feel obligated to, and I’m not gonna reveal sources, but I have from good sources of mine, people that I’ve trusted in the past who’ve been right, not wrong, they say Johnny will not play at all this year,” Rizzo said.

Now, I'm not sure how to take this information, but if it is true, I can't imagine a situation where Manziel's ability to play would stopped by his rehab.

At some point, Manziel will become an outpatient and he should be free to play football "if he wants to"...

Could it be that Manziel is burned out on football and rather than risk his health, he is going to walk away for a while?

Last edited by mac; 03/14/15 10:52 AM.

A
Legend
Legend
A
(haslam) " We hired him because — and I’ve never met Kevin, let me say this — but our people,..."

Is that normal for an owner to not even meet with a prospective coach prior, or even after, making a hire? I don't know - I'm asking. (or is it a "hey, look at me, letting others make decisions without me interfering" kind of thing? Or is it an early "distancing" of himself from the hire?)

Legend
Legend
yes, it does.

The rest of it is simply media trying to fabricate a story for their own purposes. Conspiracy theories are always a lot more fun than boring ol' "just the facts"....

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Im also curious about what other quarterbacks O'Connell has worked with. I'd think it's more than 2.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
Johnny Manziel Not Planning To Play In 2015,

If this is true, that Manziel will not play in 2015, I'm guessing the Browns didn't find out about this possibility until after they signed McCown, on Feb. 27.

The recent signing of Thad Lewis, 2 days ago, may have been the point at which the Browns realized that they needed to add a QB because Manziel might not be available.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Could it be that Manziel is burned out on football and rather than risk his health, he is going to walk away for a while?

Burned out after 2 years of college ball and 2 games in the NFL? What the hell happened other than setting a new low for our QB picks at #22? He's that far gone in the head? Wow, just WOW!

You guys still have faith in this LOSER? I would wash my hands of him. Yes it's great he's seeking help but do it on your own dime.

I was hoping we wouldn't have to trade up to the #2 spot for Marcus but it seems inevitable now to me.

Last edited by daytnabacker; 03/14/15 11:34 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
yes, it does.

The rest of it is simply media trying to fabricate a story for their own purposes. Conspiracy theories are always a lot more fun than boring ol' "just the facts"....

With this organization, even "just the facts" can be a conspiracy all on their own. I mean, we actually have "text gate". crazy This particular rumor may or may not be true about JF but the possibility factor jumps exponentially just because it's the Browns.

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
yes, it does.

clem...what are the Browns fans supposed to do, ignor the information that came straight from a local ESPN source, like Rizzo?

When he said it, I said ut-oh...

...but I refuse to ignore the information and pretend he didn't say it.

If there is no truth to this information, it's all on ESPN, Rizzo and his sources.

O
Legend
Legend
O
If Manziel doesn't play (and I have my doubts about that) then we will move on. Personally, I could care less if we totally tank a season if it got us an Andrew Luck.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
This does not surprise me. I truly feel whoever forced the Manziel drafting needs to be held accountable in a SERIOUS way. They did not do their homework and now they have an F!!!!

So much for wrecking the league. What a laugher!!

We are all suckers for a good joke.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
this sounds like such horse crap. Its just like the stuff with Johnny has left rehab. Umm its not prison once they start getting their confidence back they leave for a day or two and come back to finish their course of treatment.

these are the same people that were saying Johnny wont be ready for training camp. He is gonna be put on IR and miss the entire season after the first week he was in there.

I would be absolutely shocked if he isnt out there for mini camp next month. Part of what he is learning is how to deal with the stresses of life and hiding from them isnt learning to deal with them.

Every person is different but the competitive nature is what drives athletes, their issue is when they arent competing. Its not football that is the problem for Johnny, it is dealing with life outside the huddle.

I hope he takes all the time he needs but there is nothing and I do mean nothing to this story. This is throwing stuff at the wall and hoping somethign sticks.

Johnny will likely stay in outpatient treatment long after he leaves the facility (likely for years) but he will leave and get back to the real world.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: daytnabacker
Quote:

Burned out after 2 years of college ball and 2 games in the NFL? What the hell happened other than setting a new low for our QB picks at #22? He's that far gone in the head? Wow, just WOW!

You guys still have faith in this LOSER? I would wash my hands of him. Yes it's great he's seeking help but do it on your own dime.

I was hoping we wouldn't have to trade up to the #2 spot for Marcus but it seems inevitable now to me.

dayt...you don't have a clue..

Manziel probably started playing organized football in Jr High and reading a bit of background on him, he may have started drinking at about the same time.

Now, I'm not a Manziel cheerleader but then again, he is member of the Browns and I'm not about to call him a loser just because he's facing some very difficult issues in his life and he might not be available to play this upcoming season.

Manziel is anything but a loser for "manning up" and admitting he needs some help.

Like I said, you obviously don't have a clue!

D
Legend
Legend
D
This has to be something beyond alcohol like the rumors are saying. Then again, I never been addicted to it or anything for that matter, nor have been to rehab so who am I to say?

What I "can" say though is wow, what a total waste. How come all the other teams were smart enough to let the red flags give them evidence to pass except us? Basically a total disappointment who is edge away from being called a bust, even have only played a game and what, a 1/4 of another? JOKE.

With Teddy, we wouldn't have had to sign Thad. We wouldn't have to worry so much about McCown starting. We would just plain ole' fashion be in a much better position than we are now with whom we took.

Legend
Legend

At this point from the perspective of the Browns their approach has to be: we are not counting on Manziel.

Whatever direction his career takes they can not make plans for him as the leader of the team.

If he puts things together and is able to contribute then that is gravy.

As it stands today they have to assume the worst case scenario.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
Every person is different but the competitive nature is what drives athletes, their issue is when they arent competing. Its not football that is the problem for Johnny, it is dealing with life outside the huddle.

Mourg...none of us, not even you, can say that "football is not the problem" or part of the problem,that Manziel is facing.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
With Teddy, we wouldn't have had to sign Thad. We wouldn't have to worry so much about McCown starting. We would just plain ole' fashion be in a much better position than we are now with whom we took.

LB...when the Browns make mistakes...they seem to make whoppers...mistakes that are far reaching and mistakes that impact the franchise for years.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

LB...when the Browns make mistakes...they seem to make whoppers...mistakes that are far reaching and mistakes that impact the franchise for years.

Agreed and unfortunately, they have made many mistakes.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bonefish

At this point from the perspective of the Browns their approach has to be: we are not counting on Manziel.

Whatever direction his career takes they can not make plans for him as the leader of the team.

If he puts things together and is able to contribute then that is gravy.

As it stands today they have to assume the worst case scenario.

bone...I agree with one possible exception..it is very likely that the Browns have much better information than ESPN and Rizzo have.

Rizzo and his sources might be up to the ears with crap, concerning the accuracy of this report...time will tell.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If Manziel walks away for a while, he might as well walk away.

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

I wonder if these are the same sources which told Rizzo that Kosar would be a obtaining some sort of player personnel role which never materialized...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
(haslam) " We hired him because — and I’ve never met Kevin, let me say this — but our people,..."

Is that normal for an owner to not even meet with a prospective coach prior, or even after, making a hire? I don't know - I'm asking. (or is it a "hey, look at me, letting others make decisions without me interfering" kind of thing? Or is it an early "distancing" of himself from the hire?)

I have no personal experience but I doubt the owner meets with all of the assistant coaches prior to hiring. I would guess that the owner is primarily concerned with the HC and probably the OC and DC.. beyond that he probably lets the staff handle it.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont think Johnny is the only one with issues. I see a large part of this fan base that gets all giddy at the thought of Johnny failing not just in football but in life. Frankly I think a lot of you guys are nothing but a bunch of vultures that cant wait to pick at Johnny's corpse if he fails.

I have always admired the way Browns fans have stood behind their players good or bad. Frankly i am pretty disgusted by the lot of you.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:
“I applaud him for raising his hand and saying ‘I need help,'” said owner Jimmy Haslam.

His daddy phoned JH and said to get his son some help.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: berea
Quote:
“I applaud him for raising his hand and saying ‘I need help,'” said owner Jimmy Haslam.

This is exactly what Mourg' was referring to above...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend

Johnny Manziel did not select the Browns.

Whatever becomes of Manziel is solely in his court. People make decisions in life. You make the bed you lie in.

The only thing I look for in players is production. We don't know them. Some are role models. Some are not. I just want to win.

The whole saga of Johnny Manziel could have easily been avoided. He never should have been selected by the Browns in the first round. Period.

That error lies directly at the feet of Farmer and or Haslam.

Pettine was not in that decision. Neither was Shanahan who wanted Garopollo.

Football is a business like any other business. Employees are hired. Some turn out good others average, and some fail for a variety of reasons.

Manziel and his problems are for him and the people that are close to him to get corrected.

I wish him well.

However, as a fan of the Browns all I really care about is can he lead a team and win games?

At this point he can't help the team.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
This particular rumor may or may not be true about JF but the possibility factor jumps exponentially just because it's the Browns.

@Tulsa: don'tcha just hate it?

Quote:
clem...what are the Browns fans supposed to do, ignor the information that came straight from a local ESPN source, like Rizzo?

@mac:
Maybe not ignore- but certainly take with a grain of salt until there's real confirmation.

Guys- my only comment was in response to Vers saying that the Manziel connection seemed more plausible than the Mariota one, especially since the coach was working with several QB's recently.

At this point both are speculation, so why not at least lean toward the one that seems less sinister?

As Freud once said: "Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar-"

wink

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
[quote]

As Freud once said: "Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar-"

wink

Are you sure that wasn't Monica Lewinsky that said that?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
So how many arms do we need for OTA's and camp? I liked Lewis alright. Sounds like we may have stacked the deck in one last ditch to get JF playable but the house of cards fell apart. Like after he was in rehab maybe.

Maybe we need to jump up in the draft if this is all the FA we may see.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept; Haslam is paying Johnny to play QB but he must do his daddy's job and get him some help for his issues first?

Ummm, Johnny good luck, our contract is terminated. Wow, employers have become babysitters.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C
The good news is that all those who said build the team first and then add the quarterback should be happy.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Johnny Manziel did not select the Browns.

Whatever becomes of Manziel is solely in his court. People make decisions in life. You make the bed you lie in.

The only thing I look for in players is production. We don't know them. Some are role models. Some are not. I just want to win.

The whole saga of Johnny Manziel could have easily been avoided. He never should have been selected by the Browns in the first round. Period.

That error lies directly at the feet of Farmer and or Haslam.

Pettine was not in that decision. Neither was Shanahan who wanted Garopollo.

Football is a business like any other business. Employees are hired. Some turn out good others average, and some fail for a variety of reasons.

Manziel and his problems are for him and the people that are close to him to get corrected.

I wish him well.

However, as a fan of the Browns all I really care about is can he lead a team and win games?

At this point he can't help the team.

Good point!

Johnny Football made Johnny Football. It's not the freakin fans fault that he couldn't take the heat of being in the NFL and the media spotlight. The ja was out doing commercials when he hadn't even thrown a pass in the league. JF had the Browns and some of the fans believing in the hype. He is now finding out that he can't take the pressure and as a fan it's not my problem to worry about is off the field issues. I don't feel sorry for him one bit. It's like any us that accept a job that we are way under qualified for. What happens? Your butt gets canned! And that's exactly what the Browns should do to him. Move on and forget about this huge mistake.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
P
Legend
Legend
P
Brady Quinn was doing Subway and JFF was doing Snickers.

I believe every QB we draft should have a clause in their contract that says they have to produce one winning season before they can do commercials. So far, doing otherwise has been a bad omen.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Hoping for the best for him. 6 weeks in a facility, which wasn't in Hawaii or any other resort locale.... Makes me believe the thing is real. We all saw the picture with the rolled up dollar bill.

Probably a good thing that he struggled, because if he didn't, would anybody care? Nobody seems to care that Gronk parties just as much right? It's my belief that the team probably had some say in it.

Football needs to become his vice. He has to become obsessed with getting better. Obsessed with winning. Otherwise, I don't think he's gonna last much longer in the league. I think if it doesn't work out in Cleveland, he may get Tebow'd. When I say that, I mean no team wanting to take him on because of the circus. People were trying to blame his faith, but I think it was just all the extra media/attention that comes with. You can say the same for Manziel. It's just the way it goes. I really think he's gotta figure things out quickly. The clock is ticking on Ray Farmer, and once it expires on him, guy like Manziel and probably even Pettine (that sucks) are next.

It worries me that his girlfriend may be a bad influence on him. When you have the problems he has, there are certain people that need to be cut out of your life, and the word is that she parties pretty hard. I don't know that for a fact, but he needs to dump those types out of his life.

Last edited by Spergon FTWynn; 03/14/15 06:47 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A report Friday indicating that Johnny Manziel is no longer in inpatient rehab is incorrect, a Browns spokesman told Northeast Ohio Media Group.

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group

The spokesman said Manziel is still receiving treatment and that the club is continuing to respect Manziel's privacy.

Furthermore, a league source told NEOMG that Manziel is not only still receiving treatment, but he's still in inpatient rehab and has not been discharged.

The report that sent social media abuzz came from ESPN and ESPNW's Sara Spain, who tweeted: "A source tells me Johnny Manziel left rehab this afternoon. Spent just over six weeks in the facility.''

That, coupled with an Instagram post from Manziel's girlfriend Colleen Crowley, shifted Manziel Mania into high gear. The post showed two empty seats on a private jet, along with two Chipotle entrees on the trays and a caption that included "Chipotbae," a term of endearment that traditionally stands for "before anyone else.''

The post was deleted after it began to go viral.

If Manziel is out of the treatment facility, it's likely only for a brief stint to help him acclimate to life outside of the safe and substance-free environment. After six weeks in treatment, he's likely reached the point where he's granted days off to spend time with family and friends. Manziel entered a rehab facility within driving distance from Cleveland on Jan. 28, and has been visited there by coach Mike Pettine.

Link

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Who cares how it happened? All that matters is that it happened.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
I dont think Johnny is the only one with issues. I see a large part of this fan base that gets all giddy at the thought of Johnny failing not just in football but in life. Frankly I think a lot of you guys are nothing but a bunch of vultures that cant wait to pick at Johnny's corpse if he fails.

I have always admired the way Browns fans have stood behind their players good or bad. Frankly i am pretty disgusted by the lot of you.

Yeah, guess we were the ones riding the pink swan, rolling the bill and being late for meetings. Yeah, we all need to be in rehab. :-) Let's make more excues for why the Browns always fail. Now all the fans need to be in Rehab. :-)

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Cjrae
Yeah, guess we were the ones riding the pink swan, rolling the bill and being late for meetings. Yeah, we all need to be in rehab. :-) Let's make more excues for why the Browns always fail. Now all the fans need to be in Rehab. :-)

I don't know if you are joking or not.

Isn't going to rehab Manziel admitting he was in the wrong?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Cjrae

I don't know if you are joking or not.

Isn't going to rehab Manziel admitting he was in the wrong?

Referring to mourgrym's comment above.. Manziel is not the one with the issues, it is really the fans. No, I am not joking. And only if he is in rehab on his own accord is he addmitting wrongdoing. That remains to be seen. Meantime, Browns were screwed out of a first round pick.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Johnny Manziel..continued...

Link Copied to Clipboard