Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#938880 03/18/15 04:37 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
John Clayton said today that if Mariota fell to Washington they would take him.

Next year is an option year and Griffin would stand to make $18 mil. No way they will pay him that. So it makes sense that this is his last year. Gruden does not like him in his offense.

If they were to draft Mariota with McCoy signed and Cousins there also; Griffin could be had for most like a third or fourth rounder this year.

At this point I am not sure what Griffin is?

Shanahan got a great year out of him. He then got hurt and since has not been effective. His record in 2013 and 2014, 5-20.

He has struggled in the west coast offense Gruden runs.

What can Griffin do as a quarterback now?

I am not sure about him at all? You would think he could play. At the same time last year everything he did went down the tubes. His footwork, mechanics, reads etc. He looked lost.

Would he worth a gamble for a fourth rounder?

Yes. If he tanked; no big deal.

Most likely he will never be a drop back passer. But he might succeed in an offense tailored to his skills.

Not sure if he would work out in Cleveland, but the cost may be worth the try.

Last edited by bonefish; 03/18/15 04:43 PM.
Legend
Legend
Nope.

Injury waiting to happen and the guy can't read an NFL defense.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
RG3 for a 4th rounder, sure, why not.

But Bradford for either of our 1st rounders? I can't get behind that.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As desperate as we are, no thanks. I would be crazy enough to give a first round pick for Bradford though.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Will never learn to slide...

If people were concerned about Bradford and his injury history, RGIII is even yet a bigger nightmare. Plus, to think of RGIII as being even HALF a pocket passing able QB is like asking the impossible.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he can be a good QB but he needs out of DC and he needs to sit and recover physically and mentally. I wouldnt mind spending a 2nd on him. I said before the draft that i wouldnt have taken him top 15 because he will never last with the way he plays the game and thats still true but i think u can teach him to play the game but he needs to relearn the game.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
No way. I was glad we didn't get RG3 in the 2012 draft and I don't want him now either.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Browns26
No way. I was glad we didn't get RG3 in the 2012 draft and I don't want him now either.

I Agree 100% ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
this board is crazy. seems some love wanting broken QB's to start for us, RG3 and Bradford. Hell, if Locker didn't retire, I bet there be a thread on that.

Last edited by Swish; 03/18/15 05:52 PM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Agreed. Not that curious about Griffin and his future. We have enough unknowns, projects, and such.

We need to get some more questions erased and cover up some of what we lost and more depth to boot.

RGTrey doesn't help any of that IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: bonefish
John Clayton said today that if Mariota fell to Washington they would take him.

Next year is an option year and Griffin would stand to make $18 mil. No way they will pay him that. So it makes sense that this is his last year. Gruden does not like him in his offense.

If they were to draft Mariota with McCoy signed and Cousins there also; Griffin could be had for most like a third or fourth rounder this year.

At this point I am not sure what Griffin is?

Shanahan got a great year out of him. He then got hurt and since has not been effective. His record in 2013 and 2014, 5-20.

He has struggled in the west coast offense Gruden runs.

What can Griffin do as a quarterback now?

I am not sure about him at all? You would think he could play. At the same time last year everything he did went down the tubes. His footwork, mechanics, reads etc. He looked lost.

Would he worth a gamble for a fourth rounder?

Yes. If he tanked; no big deal.

Most likely he will never be a drop back passer. But he might succeed in an offense tailored to his skills.

Not sure if he would work out in Cleveland, but the cost may be worth the try.

Hmm...

Spotrac shows he is an UFA in 2016 and that his base salary in 2015 is $3,269,877 with a prorated bonus value of $3,449,836. I'm not sure where the $18m came from. Washington would take the full cap hit of $6,719,713 if they traded or cut him. Rotoworld shows similar numbers.

Would I trade a 4th for RG3? Hmm, at 3.3m I'd definitely consider it, but I'd make sure the trade was a 4th only if he'd negotiate a longer term deal, if he didn't then it'd be a 6th rounder..

C
Legend
Legend
C
For a fourth round pick? Most definitely, yes. RGIII, with all his flaws, is a much better QB prospect than any of the players available to us in this draft. At his worst he is also better than any of the QBs on our roster.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Health wise...I like him better than Bradford...Again only if we can redo and extend his contract. He is intelligent and he can throw from the pocket.

I think Manziel still has a shot but it doesn't hurt to stockpile some prospects...the further he is from his knee injury the stronger it should be getting. 18 mil is a lot hopefully part of that was the signing bonus hit.

Until you got one established (Franchise QB) I think you got to do whatever you can to get one. Without doing something silly of course. I think btw it would take more than a 4th.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Let's see.........

Injury prone? Check!

Two coaching staffs and he can't seem to get along with either? Check!

Sounds like an accident just waiting for another place to happen.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
If I was him...I would hate the Redskins...what those Shanahan's did to him...frankly that was disgusting.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yep, it's all the Shanahans. Then why is it those people that replaced the Shanahans couldn't seem to get along with him and don't want him there either?

Yep, those damned shanahans.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Browns26

+1

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
M
Legend
Legend
M
RG III for a fourth rounder? Sure, sign me up. That's minimal risk investment.

Are the Redskins going to move him? Very unlikely. I believe his contract contained no off-set language so the Skins would owe him any remaining guaranteed money if he was traded, which will still presumably be this year's prorated portion of his signing bonus.

Even if they draft Mariota, which I don't believe at all, they could keep RGIII around for his small base of $3.3M if I understand his contract correctly.

He's not going anywhere.

Legend
Legend
He'd have to have a horrible year for them to only take a fourth for him with everything they gave up to get him.... I personally don't want anything to do with him or Bradford because neither one of them have proved they can stay on the field... I think Bradford has more potential to be a starting NFL qb... But both look like disappointments at this point

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One thing I want to add on the Bradford stuff. We reported offered a 2nd for Bradford last year. Now he blows out his ACL again in the same knee and we offer our #19? This to me sounds more like Chip Kelly trying to convince the world he wasnt the biggest idiot walking when he was trading a QB that put up what 32 tds and 2 ints the year before ? This was also the guy that jilted the owner? I dont know how much we would be willing to deal with him anyway.

I aint saying it didnt happen, but if it looks like an Oregon duck lol

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm still trying to figure out how Bradford is worth more than Foles. I don't like either of them, but that makes no sense.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
As desperate as we are, no thanks. I would be crazy enough to give a first round pick for Bradford though.

Me too.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

Me too.

Why Bradford and not Griffin? Neither can stay healthy, but Bradford's best year doesn't even come close to Griffin's spectacular rookie year. Not only that but Griffin is younger than Bradford.

I wouldn't want either if the price was significant, but I'd take Griffin over Bradford if everything was equal.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
...I'd take Griffin over Bradford if everything was equal.

That would depend on what scheme you're running. I'd imagine Bradford would be the better choice for us...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd much rather ride the year out with McCown than see these two injuries waiting to happen. Griffin also only looks like he's worth a damn if he's able to play his game of throwing on the run.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
It depends on what the cost is.

RG3 has been ruined to a great degree. Do I think that he can be turned back around? Yeah, I do. I also think that him being in a run heavy, well protected offense would be great for rebuilding him.

However, at this point, he is damaged goods, and has to be treated as such.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

Me too.

Why Bradford and not Griffin? Neither can stay healthy, but Bradford's best year doesn't even come close to Griffin's spectacular rookie year. Not only that but Griffin is younger than Bradford.

I wouldn't want either if the price was significant, but I'd take Griffin over Bradford if everything was equal.

I'd pick Bradford over RG3 because I don't know if RG3 will ever have another year like his rookie year....

Why even think about things like this though? We have Josh McCown! grin

C
Legend
Legend
C

Me too.

I'd pick Bradford over RG3 because I don't know if he will ever have another year like his rookie year....

What makes you think Bradford will be more successful going forward?

(The obvious answer is Chip Kelly > Jay Gruden, but other than that.)

Let's set up a hypothetical situation:

Situation A: RGIII is on our current team, with our current roster, and will stay healthy.

Situation B: Sam Bradford is on our current team, with our current, and will stay healthy.

Which situation would you rather have? Why?

I am taking situation A. RGIII offers far more upside because of his athleticism and throwing skills.

In reality, neither is likely to stay healthy based on their history. But if I have to choose one, I am choosing the younger guy with the higher upside.

Legend
Legend

Me too.

I'd pick Bradford over RG3 because I don't know if he will ever have another year like his rookie year....

What makes you think Bradford will be more successful going forward?

(The obvious answer is Chip Kelly > Jay Gruden, but other than that.)

Let's set up a hypothetical situation:

Situation A: RGIII is on our current team, with our current roster, and will stay healthy.

Situation B: Sam Bradford is on our current team, with our current, and will stay healthy.

Which situation would you rather have? Why?

I am taking situation A. RGIII offers far more upside because of his athleticism and throwing skills.

In reality, neither is likely to stay healthy based on their history. But if I have to choose one, I am choosing the younger guy with the higher upside.

I think I pretty much answered that already, as I don't know if RG3 will be able to even come close to what he did his rookie year.

I hope he can though, no matter who he plays for. It was fun watching him then (-until his knee kinda fell apart).

C
Legend
Legend
C
Right, but why will Bradford be able to replicate his performance, but not Griffin?

Legend
Legend
No idea buddy.

With our luck Bradford would probably break his ankle in the very first game on his first possession, and then be out for the entire year. You know? Cursed!

"And in for the injured Bradford comes Josh McCown."

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would take Bradford or RGIII at this point, but we won't do anything to create competition for JF. The decks have been cleared for him to be the starter. The roster has been set with backups that are worse then him if that is at all possible.

Having said that I think some posters are out of their minds if they think this team or any team can win NFL games without a QB, having said that I would stock pile them and see if anyone of them can actually play knowing full well we are screwed without a QB why wouldn't you take a shot at any and all possibilities?

I applauded Pigface when they took Weedon (those that know me know I hated Pigface) because I knew then we couldn't win without a QB so while I hate burning draft picks not having a QB is an even worse choice so you take a chance, Finding a QB is a crap shoot at best unless your talking AL or PM or JE its near impossible to pick the right one. Of course we have posters on this very board who think they know QB talent (yeah right).

But you do it because it may bring you huge rewards and your sunk without a QB, if thats where your operating from and you have NO clear obvious choices your left to take chances and that is where we are at. I don't like our choices either but you have to suck it up and go for it until you get a QB.

Some of you think we shouldn't trade for a QB that isn't proven but if your being realistic if the QB in question is proven you never get a shoot at them becuase the teams their on are married to them. Its all a gamble but a gamble I take because we simply have too.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
C
Legend
Legend
C
So I am guessing you either don't know about the report of us attempting to trade for Bradford or don't believe it.

Rookie
Rookie
No idea buddy.

With our luck Bradford would probably break his ankle in the very first game on his first possession, and then be out for the entire year. You know? Cursed!

"And in for the injured Bradford comes Josh McCown."

That is classic... just classic, love it rofl

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
Rookie
Rookie
I have to agree with you on both getting Bradford or RGIII or even both!!! grin And the fact that they have to bring out the 1st RD. QB and see what he can do. They better get him ready or theirs going to be heads rolling. willynilly

I hope JH gives everyone the time needed to work the JM experiment cause I think they need to find out if he is or is not the answer!!!

I like your thinking on the QB situation we are in now so I say gamble away also, of course within some reason.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So I am guessing you either don't know about the report of us attempting to trade for Bradford or don't believe it.

Truth be told I don't know what to believe. I think they did and should have taken a shot to get Bradford, because Bradford has the ability to be great and even as committed as these folks are to clearing out any real competition for JF they realize that a healthy Bradford is a franchise quality QB and they rightly set aside their hopes for JF and went after Bradford, because he is a much better option and these folks know it.

In the end JF will be the starter and will be all crying about the one that got away and the one we are stuck with, like always.

This season is about seeing what we have in JF and its going to be ugly if my guess is right. The part that burns my ass is we ended all hope if he fails which I fully expect he will do. Sad

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Yep, it's all the Shanahans. Then why is it those people that replaced the Shanahans couldn't seem to get along with him and don't want him there either?

Yep, those damned shanahans.

Yep it was the Shanahans...you don't get it - he was having one of the best rookie seasons ever by a QB then tell me what happened? Did they shut him down... nah they knew they had to win or get fired so they kept him in playing that was the most disgusting thing I ever saw his knee practically dangling and all he did was move and went down finally for the season... that is what I'm talking about. They lost all his trust from there on. And he played too soon after that. Worst then some PEE WEE Coach. Don't give me no Browns board crap this isn't agenda - It truly was one of the most selfish acts I've seen in Modern NFL football.
jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Right, but why will Bradford be able to replicate his performance, but not Griffin?

Fair question.

And ... (not to you cfrs15) in order to be worth a first round pick, wouldn't Bradford need to more than replicate his performance?

To me, if Bradford was worth our #19 pick, then RG3 would be worth a fourth rounder. And that was the original question, was it not?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
We aren't going to get eithe Bradford or Griffin.

We will go with what we have. I know some of you have written off Manziel, but I can promise you the team hasn't. He may not become a good player. Only time will tell, but that time isn't now.

JMO

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
We aren't going to get eithe Bradford or Griffin.

We will go with what we have. I know some of you have written off Manziel, but I can promise you the team hasn't. He may not become a good player. Only time will tell, but that time isn't now.

JMO

I'm certain they haven't. The last chapter hasn't been written yet, but we are approaching the end of the book...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Robert Griffin III

Link Copied to Clipboard