Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Going from the Browns to the Seahawks? Talk about a downgrade. . .

I am not sure what role Rubin would play for Seattle, but I wish him nothing but success.

He was an excellent DT in the 4-3. I suspect that he would be even better with all of that talent around him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/ahtyba-rubins-contract-details-revealed/

According to Adam Caplan of ESPN, the one-year deal includes a $1 million signing bonus and is worth up to $3.1 million overall.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Does anyone know what is gong on with Gipson ? All I have seen is this story on the Browns' Spending this year...

Browns' commitment to defense evident in salary cap numbers

March, 20, 2015
Mar 20

3:00

PM ET

By Pat McManamon | ESPN.com

Very few NFL teams have committed more money to the defensive side of the ball than the Cleveland Browns.

It’s only March, and much (including the NFL draft) can happen before rosters are finalized, but at this point in the offseason, the Browns' commitment to winning with defense is reinforced by the salary cap numbers.

ESPN’s Roster Management System has the Browns second in salary cap money committed to the defense, but OverTheCap.com has them first.

Either way, the difference between the offense and defense in terms of cap commitment is not insignificant.

ESPN has the Browns at $57.8 million on offense, $75.2 million on defense.

OverTheCap has the numbers at $52 million on offense, $77.7 million on defense.

Neither site has accounted for Dwayne Bowe’s two-year deal, which he signed on Friday. Numbers on that contract have not been made public, but they should not change the overall emphasis.

The other factor that becomes clear from the cap numbers: Mike Pettine loves his cornerbacks. The Browns rank third in the league in cornerback spending -- even after Buster Skrine left for a $25 million deal in New York. The signing of Tramon Williams and his $10 million in guaranteed money means the Browns have just under $24.3 million committed to cornerbacks this season.

The leading teams: The Jets, who spent heavily on their corners, and the Cowboys.

Where does that Browns money go? Joe Haden is worth $11.7 million under the cap, Williams $6.5 million and Justin Gilbert $2.9 million. That’s $22.1 million right there.

Gilbert’s rookie contract of $12.8 million, by the way, is fully guaranteed.

Maybe this kind of spending pays off. Last season Dallas and Green Bay were the top spenders on cornerbacks in the league. Both made the playoffs. Seven of the top 10 spenders on corners were playoff teams. One of the three was the Browns, who ranked fifth and committed $17.4 million to the position.

In terms of guaranteed money, the Browns have three of the 29 most expensive cornerback contracts in the league. Haden ranks fourth ($22.678 million), Gilbert ranks 16th and Williams ranks 29th ($10 million).

In terms of average per year, Haden again ranks fourth ($13.5 million) and Williams ranks 19th ($7 million). That reality should erase any doubt that Williams is penciled in as the starter. Based on the way this coach treats things, Gilbert will be given a chance to start, but more than likely he’ll be competing with K’Waun Williams to be the team’s nickel back. Williams won the job last season. If he does again, the Browns will have a very expensive dime back on the roster.

At other positions the Browns rank …
•24th in quarterback spending ($6.8 million, or 30 percent of what they’re spending on corners)
•32nd in running back spending ($2.31 million), the result of having two second-year backs
•Eighth in offensive line ($27.281 million) and linebacker ($22.316 million) spending
•Ninth in safety spending, though their rank and total cost will go up if they can sign Tashaun Gipson to a contract extension.

The Browns rank in the top 10 in the league at three defensive positions.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns...ary-cap-numbers

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
D
Legend
Legend
D
I assume really that both sides are working out a long term ordeal. An assumption though, as with Farmer's punishment for illegal texting - it's been silent on all fronts....

Legend
Legend
Thanks, Clevesteve. I had never heard of the bonus angle before. Sounds like a team can be pretty generous in bonus and incentives in contract. I prefer that to massive guaranteed money, especially if a player is marginal, questionable (like off an injury), or
has production fall off.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
Good info...What I like is that we have time to develop 1-3 year players to take over the roles of the FA signing we have made over the last 3 seasons. If we don't wish to re-sign them. As we do we get more room in our Cap.

2 years from now I expect to see a lot of Cap Room again. Hopefully this time it would be for our SB run....so we spend the SUH money if that gets us there!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum browns 2015 free agents

Link Copied to Clipboard