Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: joshferencz
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

alot of talk on the board about that. shanny said johnny never told anyone about it at the time. and it was like 4 play before not one.

well if thats the case, i wont hold it against shanny for trying to make an injured QB run a sweep.

but at the same time, i will say its an absolutely moronic playcall, that had no chance of ever working. and its not surprising he got injured further on such a play, you dont put your quarterback in such a position...

Good thing Shanny won't be back.

Next year, all of our play calls will be perfect and we will score TDs on every play.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Bradford has already said he didn't want to come to Cleveland because they are a mess and that he would not sign a new contract w/the team.

And let's hope the Browns aren't stupid enough to trade-up for Mariota.

Where is MKC getting her information?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Bradford has already said he didn't want to come to Cleveland because they are a mess and that he would not sign a new contract w/the team.

And let's hope the Browns aren't stupid enough to trade-up for Mariota.

Where is MKC getting her speculation?

Changed for the sake of accuracy... thumbsup

Last edited by bbrowns32; 03/31/15 10:54 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Where is MKC getting her information?

from LaCanfora's twitter page lol

The entire offering a first for Bradford came from Lacanfora also, Casserly was quoting him and then others began to quote casserly.

Now if we like Mariotta, we wont have to trade up for him, he will be there at 12. I think the guy falls to Philly and then it will be interesting to see if they take him.

Now as for Shanny, I hated the read option and Flip also ran it with Carr in Oakland and it nearly got him killed. Any designed QB run is just asking for it. QB takes off on his own, I have no issue but to deliberately put your QB in harms way is stupid. Hell I would never run a QB sneak.

Shanny took his football and went home. He didnt want to be here. He was forced on pettine and Pettine didnt want him here. Its a divorce and sometimes a divorce is a good thing. Our O was a disaster down the stretch anyway.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One more thing on Bradford, anyone offering more than a 3rd for Bradford should be fitted for a straight jacket. Lets trade a first for a guy who blew out the same knee twice in his last 18 snaps. Farmer may have offered a first, if so he is stupid.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Mary Kaye left out the possibility that everyone in interested in Manziel,no one is interested in Manziel,or that some of the people are interested in Manziel,but only some of the time.

That reminded me of Captain Penny when he said, "You can Manzel some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can’t Manzel Mom.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
He took his ball and went home?

Any coach worth his salt would not have stayed in that situation. When you have an ignorant GM texting you on the sidelines......you have a problem. And all the rhetoric in the world ain't changing that fact.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
JC...

I wanted the Browns to use their draft picks to entice the Eagles to trade Nick Foles, but Rams HC, Jeff Fisher wanted Foles over Bradford and the Rams did what was necessary to get him.

Bradford would definitely be a better QB option for the Browns than a recovering Manziel or a 36 yr old McCown...though I'm very concerned about Bradford's durability. That was the major reason I wanted the Browns to go after Foles rather than Bradford...his injury history.

I can't help but wonder if this story is designed to help sell the CON JOB?

The CON JOB I'm talking about is the Browns front office, (Haslam and Farmer), presenting a phony front, making it look as if they did all they could to upgrade the QB position...but none of the deals seem to work out...setting up a situation where all Manziel has to do is beat out a 36 yr old QB, who was one of the worst QBs in the NFL, last season.

JMHO, but I believe Haslam and Farmer are obsessed with making sure that Manziel becomes the Browns starting QB. I believe they are willing to do "anything" to make it happen, too.

At this point, I would gladly take Bradford over McCown or Manziel, even though he appears to have serious health concerns and the chances of him lasting the season, are slim.

Fans need to realize, stories such as this " Browns may make a move for Mariota, or try again for Bradford"...they have a source and in this case, the source appears to be directly from our own front office. Information such as this (story) do not happen by accident.. they are leaked or given to reporters, sometimes with a purpose in mind.

Occasionally stirring the pot by leaking a story to a favorite reporter/writer helps to paint a picture of a front office that is working their tail off, trying to upgrade the QB position...but they always seem to come up short.

I admit, I have little faith in Haslam and Farmer, who are the main principles running the Browns' front office...and I despise their attempts to insert their judgement over the judgement of the coaching staff. That is what textgate was about...putting Johnnie in the game at our front office's request. The results were a disaster and I would think that our front office would have learned from that mistake.

I'm not convinced that our front office learned anything from last years 30-0 butt kicking by the Bengals. Honestly, I do hope I'm wrong about this being a "CON JOB".

My #1 priority as a life long Browns fan (over 50 yrs) is seeing my Browns "WIN"...and seeing the 2015 Browns improve upon their 7-9 record. But I'm not convinced that winning is the #1 priority of our front office. IMO, Haslam and Farmer appear to obsessed with showing the rest of the NFL that they were right to draft Johnny Manziel at 22 in the 2014 draft.

I believe our front office is willing to risk the entire 2015 season in their attempt to show the rest of the NFL that they were smarter than any other front office in the NFL, by drafting Manziel.

I HOPE I'M WRONG !!!!!

Last edited by mac; 03/31/15 11:38 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Just a heads-up. Foles went to the Rams, not the Titans. Fisher used to coach the Titans back in the day, but has been w/the Rams for quite some time.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
vers...thanks for the heads up...I fixed it. I knew it was one of those teams in that area..lol.

I got it wrong but at least I was in the same time zone...lol

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
LOL, Vers. And we will walk on water across the lake to the stadium for every home game. Can't wait to see it! nanner rofl

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I agree with much of this, Mac. Hope I am wrong connecting the off-season dots I see the way that I see them. Seems we are making moves to stack things favorably for Manziel and for success when he returns. Looks like a support group: simpler offense calls, more short throws (backs), may have fewer reads, more running game (please let it be so), and covering up with two vet QB's (a starter and a spare until he can be putt on the field). Hope it doesn't amount to JFF at any price in effect.

I am pulling for him off the field and on, but this seems ego-driven, kind of "I'll show you." Scares me to think what this might cost. Ten draft picks will be challenging enough.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
I believe our front office is willing to risk the entire 2015 season in their attempt to show the rest of the NFL that they were smarter than any other front office in the NFL, by drafting Manziel. [/color]

mac: I've seen you take the "path less travelled" before, but with this statement, you are close to getting lost...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 03/31/15 01:44 PM.

Legend
Legend
I don't think anyone would question that Bradford is a better QB than any on our roster today. However, with that said, He isn't better than anyone on the planet if he's injured and his history tells us that he will be.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Mary Kay Cabot is a hack writer. She hardly is ever right, and just puts suff out there that is already. There is no substance to her articles ever, its just speculative "what if" scenarios. For example her pieces are always titled "Browns interested in ___" yet when you read it, it its all scenario stuff and no actual sources in confirming the title of the piece. Dont take anything she writes to heart. JMO

Legend
Legend
In a way, all these writers and some folks like Casserly will start a story (with or without merit) and then its like a feeding frenzy. One after the other will post a story siting the other reporter.

No officials, just one reporter using another reporter as a source. no real source.

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/31/15 02:29 PM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: joshferencz
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

alot of talk on the board about that. shanny said johnny never told anyone about it at the time. and it was like 4 play before not one.

well if thats the case, i wont hold it against shanny for trying to make an injured QB run a sweep.

but at the same time, i will say its an absolutely moronic playcall, that had no chance of ever working. and its not surprising he got injured further on such a play, you dont put your quarterback in such a position...

Good thing Shanny won't be back.

Next year, all of our play calls will be perfect and we will score TDs on every play.

Hah, well, at least it can't be much worse than what Shanny was doing for us the last several games of the year.

No matter how you slice it, it was a good mutual parting.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
In a way, all these writers and some folks like Casserly will start a story (with or without merit) and then its like a feeding frenzy. One after the other will post a story siting the other reporter.

No officials, just one reporter using another reporter as a source. no real source.

This image, from the Cavs thread (from an article on the Kevin Love noise) pretty much sums it up nicely:

In short - throw crap against a wall. Make a bunch of noise about the crap until others also start to make noise about it. Reference the noise of others as validation for your own noise, then get players to comment (or NOT comment) about the noise... twist their (non-)comment to further increase the volume on the crap you started.

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
In short - throw crap against a wall. Make a bunch of noise about the crap until others also start to make noise about it. Reference the noise of others as validation for your own noise, then get players to comment (or NOT comment) about the noise... twist their (non-)comment to further increase the volume on the crap you started.

Sure is a lot of crap floating around these days. laugh

In reference to the Cleveland Browns media:

In reality though it's true. I mean back in the day they had rigged game shows. When one of the contestants on that show Twenty-One (please don't quote me on this, I'm remembering it off the show Mysteries of the Musuem, LOL) by the name of Herb Stempel exposed that the show was false and rigged - they made laws against that. This "crap" nowadays is borderlined insane, and most especially and I mean MOST ESPECIALLY from that bafoon LaCanfora.

At what point does the creditability of the media, and all it's false, rigged and careless displays of publications - be subject to the same accountability that TV once did?

It's painfully to believe anything these days. If you were to ask me a few days ago about the Farmer punishment, I'd have said at least a fourth round pick going on by the media's publishes. It's almost pointless reading it anymore...

All JMO, sorry for the rant.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
It's painfully to believe anything these days. If you were to ask me a few days ago about the Farmer punishment, I'd have said at least a fourth round pick going on by the media's publishes. It's almost pointless reading it anymore...

But we gobble it up. Sure, we could wait for things to happen and then they could write about what happened using a lot of facts and we could have a discussion about what happened... but that's not how we are, especially sports fans. We want to know what's GOING TO HAPPEN.... or what MIGHT HAPPEN....

Being an "insider", a prognosticator, a speculator, is the new sports journalism. People ragged on the 24 hour news cycle and how we were so impatient that we had to know what happened immediately... well, we've moved beyond that and now we need to know what's happening, BEFORE it happens. And we feel slighted if we don't know, with relative certainty, before it happens.

So I can't blame the media.. if somebody wanted to pay me a lot of money to write articles about what I think might happen tomorrow and nobody held me accountable if I was wrong, I'd do it.. it's not a bad gig.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
That's about it Purp.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Oh, must have missed Bradford saying this.

Don't bother quoting "sources". Because I don't think it ever got close enough for the Browns to talk to Bradford anyway.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I keep reading posts in this forum and others where posters have declared JFF a bust, holding no hope or belief that he has ANYTHING to offer. I was never in favor of drafting him. I was in the Carr camp, and I rated Bortles, Bridgewater, and Garoppolo ahead of Manziel. But once we drafted him, I'm rooting for him. Why are so many rooting for him to fail? He may not be the franchise QB some thought he might be, but I think he has a reasonable chance to be the best QB we have on the roster (which isn't saying much, I know) and much better than he displayed last season. He played what, 6-7 quarters of football in '14? I have seen some pretty good QBs look awful for several straight games well after they had established themselves.

I think nearly everyone said JFF would have to change his game in the NFL, his scrambling style wouldn't work against NFL defenses. That takes time. We didn't give it to him. The pressure to win after a good start, the breakdown of Hoyer's game, and the unreasonable expectations of too many people forced him to play before he was ready. To his credit, he realized (probably because he was told by those he respected) that he needed to get his head on straight. I'm sure his priority in life was to live a celebrity lifestyle, and that football was just a means to that end. Last season was his wake up call and it appears he got the message. Will that translate into JFF becoming a better QB? I'm sure he is better than he looked for less than 2 games in a season where he should never have been on the field. How much better is what we have to find out. And there is only one way to do that, give him a chance.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
And there is only one way to do that, give him a chance.

all he has to do is beat out josh, conner, and thad to get the chance. not to hard you would think? ofcourse with farmer not allowed the first 4 weeks to be around the coaching staff it might be a little harder.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Hah, well, at least it can't be much worse than what Shanny was doing for us the last several games of the year.

I think you--and others--are in for a rude awakening. The problem wasn't Shanny. It was the talent and the dysfunction from above.

I think the offense is going to suck next year.

We'll see.

Legend
Legend
That won't be a shock to me at all... I - quite sadly - expect our offense to suck every year.

As for whether or not the problem was Shanny, I'm not sure I buy your version, but at the very least, Shanny was a part of the problem... he definitely wasn't a part of any solution.

Browns is the Browns

V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, not buying it is a lot better than ridiculing it. wink

Watch what happens in Atlanta and Cleveland this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well, not buying it is a lot better than ridiculing it. wink

Watch what happens in Atlanta and Cleveland this year.

A more fair comparison will be in 2016; give Flip a chance to get his "stuff" in place first...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Why didn't you guys give Shanny a chance to get his stuff in place?

Pfftttt..........more hypocritical BS.

A
Legend
Legend
A

Uh......cause he quit?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, he walked away rather than putting up w/BS. That isn't easy to do.

It's more manly than sticking around and being abused by some ignorant tool who has a power-hungry complex.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Yes, he walked away rather than putting up w/BS. That isn't easy to do.

It's more manly than sticking around and being abused by some ignorant tool who has a power-hungry complex.

Oh.

So, once again, the answer to your question:
Quote:

......is: because he quit. He's not even here to give more time.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL........weird.

A
Legend
Legend
A
LOL........weird.

Yeah, you questioning why people on here didn't give Shanny more time IS weird, considering he quit, and he's not here, by his choice. Weird indeed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah arch. I am weird and you are a really swell guy w/a great life.

J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
i expect some growing pains for flip, he's a first time OC.

even though thats risky, and theres not much experience there, i think thats what we need to bring in. i know that sounds crazy, but hear me out:

if shanny came in here and did well the first year, then did better the next year-- he was going to get picked up for a head coaching gig.

atleast with flip, his lack of experience will make him have to remain an OC for a bit longer before being offered a HC gig.

i always kind of felt like if we got a second or third time OC, or a HC who was fired then came here as OC, that if they even had any success, they would be gone as soon as it happened.

i mean, if you can turn around the browns, and you have a couple years experience under your belt-- youve got a hell of a resume.

V
Legend
Legend
V
So, in theory..........we want to hire crappy coaches as opposed to good coaches so they won't leave if we win.

Brilliant!

J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
no, we have to hire inexperienced guys, who will take more than a year or two to prove themselves, before getting snagged away from us.

if flip comes in here and does an amazing job, for two years in a row, i dont believe he would be considered for a HC job after that little time.

if shanny came in and did and amazing job for 2 seasons, he would have been.

does that not make sense?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, it does.

On the other hand.............I would rather have Shanny than Flip, but that's just me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It was extensively discussed when KS was hired that he was only a "temp", here for a year or two at most. He had his shot. And speaking of shots, thanks for the cheap one...

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Johnny Manziel..continued...

Link Copied to Clipboard