Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
[quote=Brown to the Bone]I hope he doesn't try it again people around here form bad habits and even when their caught go right back and do it again. Haslam got away with one this time, NOT Farmer would be my guess.

Confused, why did Haslam get away with anything?

Because regardless of what Haslam, Farmer and Pet have said... Haslam told Farmer what to text and Farmer is only taking the bullet for Haslam.

Really, I guess I missed that. Can you point me to the artical(s) that verifiy that?

not sure what you are asking for

Haslam, Farmer and Pet numerous times stated that Farmer was the culprit and no one else... that can be easily found

The other half was about posters that stated more than once that Farmer was only covering for his boss and that Haslam was behind it all.. no, there is no proof and now even less, unless of course one thinks the NFL is protecting Haslam./

I'm asking you to prove this:

Quote:
Because regardless of what Haslam, Farmer and Pet have said... Haslam told Farmer what to text and Farmer is only taking the bullet for Haslam.

I'm asking you or anyone to show me where that was said by anyone in the KNOW that Haslam was being protected by Farmer. It's stated as fact, and it may be the case, but I've read nothing that confirms that. have you?

Quote:

Nope .. as I stated already... only by posters convinced that Haslam runs Farmer like a puppet

OK,, so it's just opinion.. I can live with that.. I was thinking there was something I was missing. OK,,Thanks

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/31/15 09:36 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Rishuz #942224 03/31/15 09:40 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
As far as Haslam telling Farmer what to text, Grossi mentioned yesterday on the RBS that some of the texts were intended for O'Neil and had to do with the way guys were lined up on D when Alfred Blue was thrashing us.

That sounds like Farmer and not Haslam to me, at least in that case.

But...but I thought he was undermining Shanahan? I much prefer that narrative. Makes for better debates around here.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
As far as Haslam telling Farmer what to text, Grossi mentioned yesterday on the RBS that some of the texts were intended for O'Neil and had to do with the way guys were lined up on D when Alfred Blue was thrashing us.

But...but I thought he was undermining Shanahan? I much prefer that narrative. Makes for better debates around here.

" some of the texts were intended for O'Neil"

it was the whole coaching staff he was badgering all year. best thing that happened is the 4 game ban. too bad it isnt 16 games.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
slick #942229 03/31/15 09:50 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If i am a team i turn up my speakers and pump in the noise whenever the opposition has the ball. If the OL cant hear the QB that is such a huge advantage and u do it for 2 years and its only a 5th round draft pick!!! Wonder if we spotlighted the QB surely that would only be worth a 4th. Hell yea undefeated at home here we come!!

CapCity Dawg #942232 03/31/15 09:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Do we ever make the news for doing something right?

Vers, welcome back. And this is a good question.

We won't know the answer until we do something right. If/when we do, we'll see if it makes the news. Then we will know.

Actually, we made a lot of positive news last year when we were winning games. I remember many media members remarking how great it was to see the Browns playing well again.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
pblack18707 #942238 03/31/15 10:10 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

" some of the texts were intended for O'Neil"

it was the whole coaching staff he was badgering all year. best thing that happened is the 4 game ban. too bad it isnt 16 games.

I really don't know what the truth is,, was it Farmer texting for Haslam, was Haslam ever aware? And as far as why he was texting, doesn't matter, it was wrong.

These coaches for better or worse, were trying to win a game. Having someone micro manage them on "GAMEDAY" is just stupid.

I hope that Farmer learned his lesson and doesn't do that again.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V

What?

Try making at least a little sense.

Versatile Dog #942251 03/31/15 10:32 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Welcome back from your timeout.

Tackles are tackles.
Versatile Dog #942285 03/31/15 11:34 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Heck, I actually think the Browns had a competitive DISADVANTAGE from Farmer's texts. Tell me, what does that arrogant, ignorant turd know about play calling? Where is his experience? Who the hell is he to critique Shanny? Seriously!

I all the talk about "text-Gate" I have yet to hear/read exactly what the texting contained. The rule, as I understand it, is about prohibiting the use of electronic devices to communicate during the game. The Browns violated that rule and it seems they were punished accordingly. I'm not sure the rule says anything about trying to gain an unfair advantage. The simple act of using an electronic device violates the rule regardless of the message within. IIRC

The only things I've ever heard/read regarding the content of those texts have been the speculation of what they may have contained by board members and the media.

Now some may say it's obvious what they contained but it's not obvious to me. There are so many things the texts could have contained.

To me, interrupting the coaching staff during a game is rookie/punk stuff thus should never happen.

#gmstrong
Damanshot #942287 03/31/15 11:35 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

well he will not text like that again if thats what you mean. like farmer said. there are other formats where he can keep badgering the coaching staff instead of text.

slick #942337 03/31/15 01:02 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The penalties on the Browns and GM Ray Farmer run deeper than a fine and suspension
Mar 31, 2015 -- 6:00am

By Tony Grossi

A credibility issue: Farmer has received numerous votes of confidence from Haslam since the texting came to light. These have effectively raised the suspicion that Farmer merely was taking the fall for Haslam and perhaps others in the Browns non-football offices who were unhappy with the way players were being used (Gilbert?) or unused (Manziel?).

The league’s statement on the discipline, attributed to Troy Vincent, executive vice president for football operations, included this paragraph: “There was no evidence in the NFL's review that Browns ownership or any other team executives had knowledge of the prohibited conduct. Once the violation was discovered, Browns management implemented new processes to ensure future compliance.”

Vincent’s statement said Farmer used his cell phone “on multiple occasions during games.”

Haslam has said he didn’t know what Farmer was texting and didn’t ask.

Whatever.

It is easy to shrug off the violations as growing pains of a first-year general manager learning on the job alongside a first-year head coach while both reported to essentially a first-year team owner.

At issue now is the credibility of Farmer and the Browns’ organization as a whole.

How much has Farmer lost with Pettine and the other coaches who weren’t fired or jumped ship after last season? What about the players in the locker room? Not one has stepped forward and offered a vote of confidence for Farmer or defended him. It is said when a coach loses a locker room, he never gets it back. Does that apply to a general manager, too?

And how is this playing throughout the league? Can Farmer effectively lead the football organization after undermining his coaches and players on game days? Can he recruit top-notch talent?

Can the Browns really tout a winning culture when something like this is going on?

Farmer can overcome the stigma of this unprecedented episode by scoring bulls-eyes in his second draft. No pressure there.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=43681

pblack18707 #942341 03/31/15 01:12 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Just being blunt here, but we never had much creditability to jeopardize. We go through coaches like a girl does dresses on prom night. We've not done anything to suggest that we are capable of winning for several years. The list continues.

Who cares Tony? Write about something meaningful. Save those articles for when, or if we ever, establish creditability amongst the league and city. JMO

slick #942421 03/31/15 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With Haslam and Farmer, all we need is one more stooge to make "3"

pblack18707 #942430 03/31/15 05:43 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

well he will not text like that again if thats what you mean. like farmer said. there are other formats where he can keep badgering the coaching staff instead of text.

Wait, he's the GM. It's his job to get things on the same page working in the same direction. If that means talking to all the coaches, then so be it.

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/31/15 05:48 PM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
SuperBrown #942432 03/31/15 05:46 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
With Haslam and Farmer, all we need is one more stooge to make "3"

Alec Scheiner is #3

Then Haslam admitted that team president Alec Scheiner has been watching film with GM Ray Farmer, but only to learn, not to criticize or dictate. Coaches and players might not see it the same way.

Then Haslam admitted that Scheiner and general counsel Sashi Brown offered input in football meetings even though they’re not football people. To Haslam, six smart people in a room are better than four.

pblack18707 #942433 03/31/15 05:51 PM
Legend
Legend
Can someone tell me what the freaking big deal is about the President of the club watching film with the coaches?

I mean other than it seems unusual*, what the hell is wrong with it?

* keep in mind, we really don't know if it's unusual really, its just that I don't think any of us has heard it before from the Browns or any other team. It might be something that a lot of Club presidents do.

he's stated that he wants to learn more. What is wrong with that?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #942434 03/31/15 05:52 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Wait, he's the GM. It's his job to get things on the same page working in the same direction. If that means talking to all the coaches, then so be it.

well wait a minute. thats what he was doing on game day with the texts right?

pblack18707 #942436 03/31/15 05:55 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yes and his timing was way off, but that he did something to communicate with the Coaching staff is part of his job. Dang fool did it incorrectly.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #942439 03/31/15 05:59 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Yes and his timing was way off, but that he did something to communicate with the Coaching staff is part of his job. Dang fool did it incorrectly.

so your good with him badgering the coaching staff over playcalling and which players should play?

pblack18707 #942443 03/31/15 06:15 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

so your good with him badgering the coaching staff over playcalling and which players should play?

do you think he was texting them blocking schemes and calls too?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
texaslostdawg #942446 03/31/15 06:23 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

well he will not text like that again if thats what you mean. like farmer said. there are other formats where he can keep badgering the coaching staff instead of text. [/quote]

Wait, he's the GM. It's his job to get things on the same page working in the same direction. If that means talking to all the coaches, then so be it. [/quote]

well wait a minute. thats what he was doing on game day with the texts right? [/quote]

Yes and his timing was way off, but that he did something to communicate with the Coaching staff is part of his job. Dang fool did it incorrectly.[/quote]

[/quote]

do you think he was texting them blocking schemes and calls too? [/quote]

do you think he was texting them about the gatorade?

ddubia #942448 03/31/15 06:27 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
The only thing I remember stated about content was either from Shanny or from a reporter who talked to Shanny...not too much detail just very general.

I read from Farmer or reporters who talked to Farmer something about not running the ball with Manziel in....Pettine I then shortly after remember him saying we did run with Manziel in.

Whatever it was - I know Pettine and Farmer ironed it out and there is no ill will between the two. Pettine is very happy with Flip and Farmer learned his lesson.

Question to anyone who knows...Was Farmer fined or the Browns fined. I've read both by the media at different times.

jmho - but most was my recollection of what I read about the text gate.... If that is the worst we do - I'm happy.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Damanshot #942452 03/31/15 06:35 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Can someone tell me what the freaking big deal is about the President of the club watching film with the coaches?

* keep in mind, we really don't know if it's unusual really, its just that I don't think any of us has heard it before from the Browns or any other team. It might be something that a lot of Club presidents do.

Then Haslam admitted that Scheiner and general counsel Sashi Brown offered input in football meetings even though they’re not football people

pblack18707 #942457 03/31/15 06:48 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Ummm not sure about that PB...I remember it was stated that on Monday they did watch film with the coaches.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
pblack18707 #942459 03/31/15 06:50 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Then Haslam admitted that Scheiner and general counsel Sashi Brown offered input in football meetings even though they’re not football people

Do we have an exact quote of Haslam saying as much? I thought I heard that Scheiner was a silent observer...

Either way, is it a bad thing for the coaches to sit down with the GM and for them to understand and even sometimes debate on what player should be playing, and how they should be playing? I don't understand why that should be so taboo? It seems like it would be both beneficial to understand the coaches or GM better and also open up new possibilities that the other has not thought of.

Perhaps that's just my naivety.

you had a good run Hank.
eotab #942477 03/31/15 07:27 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
Ummm not sure about that PB...I remember it was stated that on Monday they did watch film with the coaches.

and Pet said they asked questions no mention of an input or suggestions

#gmstrong

Thebigbaddawg #942478 03/31/15 07:31 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
Either way, is it a bad thing for the coaches to sit down with the GM and for them to understand and even sometimes debate on what player should be playing, and how they should be playing? I don't understand why that should be so taboo? It seems like it would be both beneficial to understand the coaches or GM better and also open up new possibilities that the other has not thought of.

Perhaps that's just my naivety.

Lessons of Cleveland Browns' Text-gate: Stay in your lane and do your own job

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/03/lessons_of_text-gate_stay_in_y.html

NFL's punishment for Cleveland Browns' in-game texting was fair -- Bud Shaw's Sports Spin

Coaches only put in about 80-hour weeks to prepare for a three-hour game that decides their job security. They must love in-game criticisms and advice from on high, whether it's the GM, owner or executive from another department.

Mike Pettine has handled the situation with his usual mix of honesty and aplomb. He admitted he wasn't thrilled. He said he addressed it with Farmer, accepted his GM's apology and moved on.

The proof of a lesson learned isn't an apology for breaking the rules and costing the organization money and embarrassment.

It takes more than that. It takes the front office deciding to let the coaches, you know, coach.

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_browns_ray_farmer_ji_1.html

pblack18707 #942480 03/31/15 07:34 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

do you think he was texting them blocking schemes and calls too? [/quote]

do you think he was texting them about the gatorade? [/quote]

so it your contention then that Farmer was texting exact players and plays he wanted run... so he would text Shanny "put in Austin and run Double pop slant 86 right curl slant left red 127 Zulu orange"?

So he knew the game plan and the entire play book?

Did he also take care of the defensive side of the ball?

#gmstrong

texaslostdawg #942483 03/31/15 07:45 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
so it your contention then that Farmer was texting exact players and plays he wanted run... so he would text Shanny "put in Austin and run Double pop slant 86 right curl slant left red 127 Zulu orange"?

well again i ask you. what do you think he was texting? what concerns was he expressing when he was going over the after game review with the whole coaching staff that they had to answer his questions?

and i did read it was the DC he was harassing on game day also.

pblack18707 #942486 03/31/15 08:00 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

well again i ask you. what do you think he was texting? what concerns was he expressing when he was going over the after game review with the whole coaching staff that they had to answer his questions?

wow.

Texting plays and personnel packages for both offense and defense.

Last edited by texaslostdawg; 03/31/15 08:01 PM.

#gmstrong

texaslostdawg #942488 03/31/15 08:04 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

wow.

Texting plays and personnel packages for both offense and defense.

fascinating how you can not answer a simple question. or is that your answer?

Last edited by pblack18707; 03/31/15 08:04 PM.

slick #942489 03/31/15 08:06 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guys - this is getting beyond ridiculous! Please, enough...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
slick #942490 03/31/15 08:10 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Some of the same guys who are defending Farmer for texting the coaching staff AND excusing away the team pres and GM breaking down film w/the coaching staff AND influencing who plays and who doesn't are the very same people who went freaking nuts last year when Banner asked that Greg Little be held accountable.

Others are ignoring all this negativity, yet you lambasted Banner last year for much less.

Hypocritical.

Versatile Dog #942491 03/31/15 08:11 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Who is Banner?

bbrowns32 #942498 03/31/15 08:25 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey 32..............you said you would wait until the NFL ruled on whether Farmer texted or not before you formed your opinion.

Well, he was found guilty and actually admitted his guilt.

What say you now?

Damanshot #942499 03/31/15 08:25 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
I really don't know what the truth is,, was it Farmer texting for Haslam, was Haslam ever aware? And as far as why he was texting, doesn't matter, it was wrong.

Most times the truth is as easy as the simple explaination.

I know that many people want Haslam to be behind the text messages, but that means everybody in this situation is a liar. Farmer is a liar because he was told to text and is now Haslams stooge, covering for the guy who writes the check.. Haslam is a liar because he says he didn't know.

I take it for what it is. Farmer was texting and Shanny ended up with a yeast infection.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #942500 03/31/15 08:26 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
A yeast infection? Really?

You guys are so freaking lame.

slick #942502 03/31/15 08:29 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I call it like I see it. Shrug

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #942505 03/31/15 08:32 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
And so do I..............your comment was complete BS! Yeast infection. tsktsk

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/31/15 08:32 PM.
slick #942511 03/31/15 08:43 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Not really.

I didn't mind Shanny, but there is a way to do things like men, even if in this era, most don't.

I don't buy in to go whining about things after the fact. Why didn't the little punk go eye to eye with Farmer in a one on one? He knew he was going to leave at that point.

If I was Shanny, I'd be pissed as well. I have no problem with that. I just don't care for it that he didn't deal with it like a man.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Text gate

Link Copied to Clipboard