Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Patriots accept your offer... Trading a 2015 for a 2016 without any idea of the placement does not make any sense for a team that has struggled to win.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Originally Posted By: DonCoyote
JC

Having (2) 1st rounders is a luxury. We have to make sure it nets us a franchise QB.

If its not Mariota, trade #19 for a 2016 1st rounder. We have to keep the ammo. It would be a major shame to have The GUY there in 2016 and not have the picks to go get him.

If we don't draft the franchise QB in 2015, Pay It Forward so we can next time. Repeat as long as necessary.

I like that thinking.

I do too. Thinking of it from that viewpoint I wouldn't mind trading both our 1st round picks into next year. Especially if both trades included a lower round pick in this draft, (like a 2nd 3rd or 4th), and next years 1st.

Two of those deals would be bad ass because we'd have three 1st round picks next year. Should be able to have anything we'd want with that ammo. At least a QB and another high quality player.

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Sad part is we've had the luxury of an extra 1st rounder several times.

And look at our 3 recent first round QBs. Weeden, Manziel, Quinn (trade). We skipped over all of them with our first pick! We're picking RB/CB before the QB.

It seems we view that extra pick as a no-risk, freebie and we're reserving it for QB that scared us the first time around. This strategy has to stop. Draft a guy that you are crazy about, not someone that you are afraid of.

Last edited by DonCoyote; 03/29/15 12:29 PM.
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
We need to draft a QB. It doesn't have to be in round 1. Franchise QBs come in all rounds. I like Sean Mannion on day 3 of the draft. He has the size, the arm, and he's comes with a lot of experience and maturity in pro-style system at Oregon State.

E
Legend
Legend
E
you have 2 first round picks. You take a QB with the 2nd pick that is 10 slots + at least from the first choice.

Theory....If its a QB you think is the MAN you take him with your first pick not the later pick. Later pick means one thing...we didn't think THAT QB was good enough to invest our #5 pick, #4 pick - Us taking him at 22 means it was a reach pick and we didn't think he would be there when we picked at 36 or something.

First round QB...I want us Using that #5 pick on Tannehill not Trent...and then later for Weeden. I mean if you NEED the QB you go and TAKE the best if not you pass. DON'T REACH.

Granted we did try to parlay our picks to get RG3. Outside of that we just didn't have conviction in the QBs we ended up taking or else we would have taken them with our First pick.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't believe you draft anyone in the first round that you don't at least have some conviction in.

Now I do agree that the level of conviction isn't quite the same as someone you would draft in the top 5 or so draft picks.

I would liken it to someone being 100% sold on a top 5 QB pick verses being 85% sold on one they draft at #22.

IMO, the draft is always a risk/reward situation. If you really don't have any type of strong conviction in a QB, you draft him much later and only if he falls. ie... Colt McCoy, 3rd round.

I don't think we're really that far apart here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
First round QB...I want us Using that #5 pick on Tannehill not Trent...and then later for Weeden. I mean if you NEED the QB you go and TAKE the best if not you pass. DON'T REACH.

I hope you aren't considering this some badge of honor... If anything it's contradictory. Dolphins fans I know are about ready to give up on Tannehill. There's a lot coming out about his receivers not believing in or trusting him as a QB. He doesn't have what it takes as a leader. He was being criticized by his teammates for not communicating to his coaches that what they were doing with the wideouts wasn't working. For example, one game they had only three active wideouts and just ran fly pattern after fly... There receivers were clearly gassed in the huddle and he just continued to go with whatever play was called in like a robot. Tannehill wouldn't be the answer here, either. He was a bad pick at 8 and would have been a worse one at 4.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Buck
We need to draft a QB. It doesn't have to be in round 1. Franchise QBs come in all rounds. I like Sean Mannion on day 3 of the draft. He has the size, the arm, and he's comes with a lot of experience and maturity in pro-style system at Oregon State.

I like him too. I didn't know a lot about him until his name came up on the board, and the more I watched of him the more I liked. The only thing he seems to lack is flat out running speed, but he understands how to move int he pocket, and that is more important than just being able to run.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw Sean Mannion in the Senior Bowl. He looked HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE I tell you!

Legend
Legend
'Will the Browns make another run at Sam Bradford or pursue Marcus Mariota? Hey Mary Kay!'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/03/will_the_browns_make_another_r.html

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group on March 29, 2015 at 5:24 PM, updated March 29, 2015 at 5:58 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Hey Mary Kay!

Hey Mary Kay: Are the Browns really going to go with Josh McCown at quarterback
this year or do they have another moved planned? Will they make another run at
Sam Bradford? Are they hoping Johnny Manziel can play?

-- Lou Piernik, Medina, Ohio

Hey Lou: I think the Browns are fully prepared to start McCown this year, but they will continue to look for chances to upgrade the position. I think they'll try to trade up to draft Marcus Mariota, and I also think they could make another run at Sam Bradford on draft day. If they don't land one of those two, I do think McCown will be their man in 2015. They are also big on Connor Shaw, who could start games for them this season if necessary. As for Manziel, they'll see what happens when he gets out of rehab soon. At this point, I don't think they can get much in a trade. Maybe Jerry Jones is still interested.

Hey Mary Kay: I think the Titans like Zach Mettenberger and the Jets are going
to roll with Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick. That being said, there is a chance
Marcus Mariota could fall to 19. If so, could you see a scenario where the Browns takes the Eagles' 20th pick and Sam Bradford for the 19th where Philly could get Mariota?

-- Trent Somple, Columbus Ohio

Hey Trent: I don't think there's a chance in heck that Mariota falls to No. 19. Too many teams need quarterbacks and too many are willing to take a chance even on a projection like Mariota. But he's highly-regarded by plenty of NFL coaches, including his old Oregon boss Chip Kelly, who thinks he's the best QB in the draft. I don't see
him getting past No. 6. He could go as high as No. 2.

Hey, Mary Kay: Where do you think Browns would be now if they had not reached for Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel, and instead went after top quarterback free agents with large cap space? Would they now have a top offensive line plus playmakers to make a Colt McCoy, Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer or better free agent excel? Have the Browns repeatedly hurt themselves by reaching for players and changing staff?

-- David Seed, Shaker Heights, Ohio

Hey David: There's no question the Browns have hurt themselves with their constant turnover in the front office and coaching staff. When they do draft a quarterback, they don't take the time to develop him. I thought Colt McCoy had potential to be a winner, but he was never surrounded by enough talent or given a chance. Same for the rest of them. At least this regime understands the importance of building around the quarterback and not putting all of the pressure on one player. If Manziel is to have a chance, he'll need a great supporting cast.

Hey, Mary Kay: The coverage of Textgate has focused on what punishment Ray Farmer and the Browns might suffer as a consequence. Shouldn't we be concerned about the effect on Browns reputation and his ability to be effective going forward? Almost certainly the act of attempting to interfere with coaching decisions during games had a ripple effect in league circles. It was a factor in Shanahan wanting out. Was it a factor in not being able to hire experienced offensive coordinator and QB coach replacements. Could it have been a factor in why a team with $40 million to spend couldn't sign a top 50 free agent at positions of need? Thoughts?

-- Andy Brodhead, Mayfield Heights, Ohio

Hey Andy: I think the inability to attract some of the bigger-name coordinators had more to do with the high turnover rate at the position and concern in league circles that Jimmy Haslam might have a quick hook for this staff if they don't win this year. As for big-name free agents, the Browns didn't try hard to sign many. They inquired about a few, but are committed to building through the draft. Yes, the texting was a factor in Shanahan's departure, but I think it was much less a factor in the hiring of a new coordinator. Mike Pettine has also really liked John DeFilippo for a long time
and wanted to give him a chance.

(end)

Legend
Legend
Quote:
"I thought Colt McCoy had potential to be a winner" - Mary Kay

rolleyes

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Legend
Legend
E
Using just a pick as example. Tanehill no knowledge what their fans think. All I read he was doing well???? but didn't read much.

My point guys is not in the actual people - I'm talking about QB. We have low picks. 4,5,4 for several years. If we don't like a QB enough to take him there...then don't take one early PERIOD! Unless possibly Manziel WAS OUR GUY and we knew cause of his height or lack of he would be around???

Tannehill was mentioned cause he was the only QB left for a top 10 pick. If we thought Weeden was THE GUY...why wait till 22...is sort of my meaning. This isn't RB where the guy at 22 is not going to be far off on the Trent you are taking top 5 pick. Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch... QB might as well go 3rd to 5th if there is not a QB worth you FIRST pick in the draft! A rare Brees who drops cause of size. But I'm talking about general rule of thumb.

We are in woahs that we don't have a Franchise QB yet (since 99) my point is. Outside of Couch overall #1 taken with no support of an Expansion club. Ever since we made 3 QB investments.

All were our 2nd picks in the draft (QB in my mind should be First or not early) All coincidentally were #22. Hopefully 3rd time is the charm. Its not who was or was not available just in general the worth of a QB...should not be your 2nd choice in the first. Unless you are lucky to get that exception to the rule. I hope Manziel is.

But that is what I was trying to say...not we blew it for not taking Tannehill although in looking back I'd rather we had dont that instead of Weeden.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Totally agree eotab. Passing on the QB, then drafting him at #22 just looks greedy to me.

This approach has cost us Three 1st rounders, plus a 2nd and mid-level for the Quinn/Manziel trades.

Considering our QB Nightmare, I'd rather reach for the guy we want then settle for the guy we didn't want.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DonCoyote
Considering our QB Nightmare, I'd rather reach for the guy we want then settle for the guy we didn't want.

Which guys did we not reach for?

Legend
Legend
Yeah it's been a combination of settling and then reaching...

We couldn't get the top guy.. Or even the second guy.. So we'll just take the third guy and HOPE he's good..

That did also include some reaching, Weeden, and Manziel IMO.

It could of been worse.. Oakland and Detroit could of taken Megatron and Joe Thomas.. And we would of ended up with Jamarcus Russel...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
'The NFL world was underwhelmed by Jameis Winston's Pro Day'

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-world-underwhelmed-jameis-winstons-210906621.html

Business Insider By Cork Gaines
4 hours ago

(ESPN)Jameis Winston, the presumed No. 1 pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, held his Pro Day in front of NFL scouts on Tuesday.
The initial reaction from many was that it could have gone better.

Todd McShay of ESPN said he was "underwhelmed" by Winston's performance, which included 102 passes. Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports called it an "OK performance" and that Winston will tell you he could have done better.

Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports wasn't sure if he should call the performance "very good, good or meh."

One of the most common criticisms was that Winston did not look good when he was asked to throw on the move.

"Every time he's been on the move, he's been off a little bit," former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner said on the NFL Network. "We've seen some throws (behind) receivers."

NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger thought Winston's personal quarterback coach, George Whitfield, did a poor job setting up the workout as they tried to show that Winston had overcome some of his negative traits. Instead, the workout may have just emphasized those weaknesses.

"I am surprised that George Whitfield OK'd this here today," Baldinger said. "I don't think this is putting him in the best light."

And herein lies the problem with analyzing these type of workouts. Analysts expect a perfectly scripted workout that allows the quarterback to complete every pass and show off their strengths. Analysts have seen perfection so many times, even from mediocre prospects, that it is now expected.

The reaction of Fox Sports' NFL Draft expert Joel Klatt sums this up perfectly, noting that Winston did too much and should have thrown the number of passes typically seen at these workouts.

Joel Klatt ✔ @joelklatt
Follow
Winston & Whitfield tried too hard to prove point throwing off platform...average workout...would have been better at 60 throws not 102

At the end of the day, Winston's draft status might have only been impacted if it was a complete disaster, and nobody is saying that.

Of course, the bigger issue with Winston is the off-field concerns and, at least publicly, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers don't appear to have any.

"The more questions you ask and the more you dig, the more good you find," Bucs general manager Jason Licht told ESPN. "For [Florida State people], he's a tremendous person. They trust him fully. You can't find a bad thing said about him."

(end)

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hopefully if GM's learned anything from last year it was to look far more at game film than be too influenced by a QB throwing a ball around on a practice field.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
And the Number 1 pick of the 2015 NFL Draft is....Jameis Winston!

Lets not kid ourselves folks. wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

There are plenty of things to like about Winston.

He has experienced almost nothing but success. Other than one loss most everything has gone his way.

He won a national championship and a Heisman trophy as a redshirt freshman. That is a colossal accomplishment.

He has a lot going for him and is most likely going to be successful in the NFL.

His workout was OK. Although I attach very little significance to pro day workouts. His footwork (though they tried hard to show he could do it) looked a little clumsy.

The question I have about Winston is how he will handle going to a bad team and losing? How will he handle the expectations when things go bad?

I am not talking about being behind in game. I am talking about what Joe Thomas has had to deal with. Team failure. As the face of the team will he be able to strap it on and lead a team when they lose games?

It will happen. He may think he will come in a wreak the league but it does not work that way. Tampa won one game last year. He will take his lumps. I wonder how he will fare?

I would love to have him but I do have questions about him. He is no Andrew Luck no matter what he has done on the field.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The biggest question about Winston is why he makes such horrible decisions ON the field. He throws some passes that would make Brandon Weeden blush.

Legend
Legend

18 picks last year is no joke.

Mariota had 14 in three years.

Winston will make errors. The NFL will humble you.

But in the end I think he will overcome that. He will learn. He works hard and has NFL skills. NFL coaches place a huge emphasis on turnovers.

Just a feeling I have about him is: frustration may be get to him. Losing may get to him. Not meeting expectations may get to him.

Quarterbacks face tremendous pressure outside the field. Especially when things do not go so well.

He has done nothing but win. He expects to win. That to a degree is a good thing. But failure will happen and you need a real thick skin to handle the criticism. I am not sure he has that.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
The biggest question about Winston is why he makes such horrible decisions ON the field. He throws some passes that would make Brandon Weeden blush.

And as someone said, the ProDay has it's value but it doesn't show you decision making nor the ability to read defenses and coverages. All you have for that is film but even that film lacks because it's not vs NFL-Type defenses.

For any QB, bad decisions made in college will be amplified in the Pros.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ddubia

And as someone said, the ProDay has it's value but it doesn't show you decision making nor the ability to read defenses and coverages. All you have for that is film but even that film lacks because it's not vs NFL-Type defenses.

For any QB, bad decisions made in college will be amplified in the Pros.

This is where someone comes in and yells, "MATT RYAN!"

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
MATT RYAN!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Hopefully if GM's learned anything from last year it was to look far more at game film than be too influenced by a QB throwing a ball around on a practice field.

Or if we learned anything from Kelvin Benjamin, we might assume that Winston tanked his pro-day on purpose to keep another team from trying to trade up with Tampa to take him out of Florida. tsktsk

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

Here is an interesting scouting report by Daniel Jeremiah on Marcus Mariota:

http://www.nfl.com/podcasts?id=f963f32f7c659437923affa48bd1b936

Legend
Legend
ProFootabllTalk: Will Cleveland make a move to take Marcus Mariota?

Posted by NBCSports.com on April 2, 2015, 7:26 PM EDT
Browns’ insider Mary Kay Cabot joins PFT to discuss the chances of the Browns trading their two first round picks to move up in order to take Marcus Mariota and the current status of Johnny Manziel.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...partner=ya5nbcs

C
Legend
Legend
C
If the Titans don't want Mariota I can totally see this happening. I think the Titans want Mariota.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the Titans want Mariota, maybe they will trade us Mettenhamburger for JFF.... rofl

E
Legend
Legend
E
Personally I think all this talk about us trading up for Mariota is just about the same banter from the Bozos talking week after week about Manziel taking over the reigns from Hoyer...Will this be the week.

Why cause the average fan and possibly more than average NONE Browns fan can believe it. Read it - click on it cause of the headline.

We are a free story to these guys.
jmho - for those Marcus Mariota guys. Don't get your hopes up... 1. many teams need a QB if he is special...we won't get a chance to move up.
2. If he drops and all those QB needy teams pass him up...I'm not sure if we are the ones who trades back with Eagles?

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
If the Titans don't want Mariota I can totally see this happening. I think the Titans want Mariota.

If I were Tennessee and think a better QB option can be had next year, I trade the Mariota pick for a minimal first this year and next. This alone makes me think Farmer won't make the deal. It will mean Farmer gives up three first rounds for two QBs with high risk. Farmer stands a better chance waiting next year for similar talent without a major investment. I can see a trade if Browns had nothing, but Manziel isn't a complete washout just yet.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just watched some (junior year) video of Sean Mannion. Nice arm, not mobile, and I saw a tendency throw off his back foot when under pressure. But he also showed nice touch, good field vision, and when he steps into his throws, good velocity and the ability to throw the deep routes with accuracy. Not a finished product but has the tools and his deficiencies are coachable. I think he is a good late round option.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Legend
Legend
C
If you want to be really blown away, go watch Mannion's 2013 tape.

Legend
Legend

Next year?

There are so many variables that are in play in the draft projecting next year is next to impossible.
==================================================

"waiting next year for similar talent without a major investment."
===============================================

Next year we do not have two first round picks. In addition we have no idea when we will draft and who will be there. We have no idea who will draft in front of us and what there needs are.

This is really a very simple choice for the Browns. "If" they believe that Mariota is a future franchise quarterback; the one they have been searching for decades for then they should do whatever it takes to get him.

The first round picks be damned. They can build the roster with other picks and FA. They can not just go find a quarterback in any year. History has proven that.

No matter if you have the first pick in the draft and the guy is Andrew Luck you don't just come into the league and win a Super Bowl.

It is a process. Building around a quarterback gives you the best chance.

The other route is a superior defense with a no mistake offense that can run the ball.

We are not a superior defense. Not when you are 32nd against the run and you don't have dominant pass rushers.

So becoming a superior defense at this point is no sure thing either.

The Browns either believe in Mariota or they take BPA and work on building the team.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
The Browns either believe in Mariota or they take BPA and work on building the team.

Or take two olinemen studs in the first rd to help protect the QB's from injury and the yearly predictable doom to come at the hands of every NFL defense we face. It's really pretty simple.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:

Or take two olinemen studs in the first rd to help protect the QB's from injury and the yearly predictable doom to come at the hands of every NFL defense we face. It's really pretty simple.

Stop.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I've said it several times...the guy I want invested in is Mannion 3rd round or better...develop him. If this is Manziels year to strut he shouldn't feel threatened by a mid round investment. I like the kid a lot.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
LOL, Eo, and it said a lot. The Powers That Draft have chugged the KoolAid after swallowing the hype, and setting aside the "issues" baggage (that pesky character thang again!), and this kid is the anointed Number One consensus pick.

Let's not screw it up by inserting reason and questioning the Next Sure Thing. rofl

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Legend
Legend
C
Mannion was very bad last year. He also didn't have Brandin Cooks. I don't think that is a coincidence. I don't want Mannion unless it is the 6th round or later.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No thanks to Mannion for you "Mannion" lovers.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Draft Need: QB Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard