Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
If Bucs draft Winston, next move may be trading Glennon

ProFootballTalk.com
Michael David Smith
April 4, 2015

If the Buccaneers, as expected, take quarterback Jameis Winston with the first overall pick in the draft, where does that leave Mike Glennon?

It may leave him somewhere other than Tampa Bay.

Glennon, the 2013 third-round pick who has started 18 games in two seasons, will be available for any team that wants him after the Bucs draft Winston, according to Pat Yasinskas of ESPN.

Some team may want him. Although Glennon hasn’t been great in Tampa Bay, he has shown promise. His career stats — a 58.8 percent completion rate, 29 touchdowns and 15 interceptions — are respectable for a young quarterback.

Glennon was picked by former General Manager Mark Dominik and doesn’t fit the profile that current G.M. Jason Licht and coach Lovie Smith are looking for in their franchise quarterback. But that doesn’t mean Glennon has no future in the NFL. There may be some other team ready to acquire Glennon and give him a chance to prove he can be the starter, something he won’t have if the Bucs decide to make Winston their franchise quarterback.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...rading-glennon/

Legend
Legend
honestly our QB situation is worse than ever ... might as well exhaust all options/resources (in an intelligent manner) until we find "him"

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Yeah, I'm in "Why Not?" mode when it comes to QB

J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
might as well just see if manziel can pan out, so we know what we have. if he gets beat out by mccown, then hopefully he can do the job. if neither can, we atleast spent more than 2 games to evaluate a guy we spent a first round pick on-- and if they are truly as bad as many here believem we should be in much better position next draft to actually be able to get one of the top tier QBs, rather than a project guy like petty.

i say we just roll with what we have and hope whatever they saw in manziel is actually still obtainable.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
It would have made more sense for the bucs to have kept Mccown to be the mentor. I don't see Glennon filling that role. I'd be for bringing him in, if the price is right.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No thank you tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Legend
Legend
E
where does that leave Mike Glennon?

As the back up...of course if they end up taking a veteran QB that is left in FA it will mean they are trading Glennon.

jmho - can't wait for football to start - anxious to see Manziel.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why not?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I have no problem with trading for Glennon if it is only a 4th or 5th rd pick. He's no worse than what we have now and he has upside.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I have no problem with trading for Glennon if it is only a 4th or 5th rd pick. He's no worse than what we have now and he has upside.

Exactly!!! I am tired of bringing in QB's that are "no worse than what we have now" If there no better then don't waste time, look for one that's better ... JMHO superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
He is better than what we have. In 19 games he has completed 58.8% of his passes for 6.5 YPC, has 29 TD, 15 Int, and a QB Rating of 83.7.

Here's Jon Gruden's scouting report on him ...

Gruden's scouting report on Mike Glennon

Pat Yasinskas
ESPN.com
September 25, 2013

With Wednesday's news that the Buccaneers are benching quarterback Josh Freeman in favor of Mike Glennon, it’s time for a scouting report on the rookie.

Let’s turn back to this Insider item I did with ESPN’s Jon Gruden during Gruden’s QB Camp in the spring. Gruden spent more than four hours with Glennon and, prior to that, spent a lot of time preparing for the session by watching college tape.

Let’s see some of Gruden’s thoughts on Glennon:

“When I worked with Glennon, I told him there are some things he did better than anyone else in college football last year,’’ Gruden said. “Specifically, he can flat-out drive the football. The guy can absolutely hum it. Glennon can throw the ball to the wide side of the field effortlessly. In college, with the wider hashmarks, when you throw the ball to the wide side of the field, it's a big-time throw. In fact, there are some programs that don't even attempt it -- they don't even bother asking a QB to attempt a wide-side throw down the field. That's not the case with Glennon.

“This guy can make some really difficult down-the-field throws. If you watch the camp session with Glennon, you'll see we went through a "Fox Two XY Hook." I coached that pattern for 18 years. I'm not sure I've ever seen a QB at any level throw it with the ease Glennon can. Brett Favre threw a certain second-reaction post, by my count, about four times in his career. I saw Glennon throw it four times last season.

Gruden also gave a flattering answer when asked to compare Glennon to a current NFL quarterback.

“If you want a recent comparison, I don't think the similarities to Joe Flacco are unfair,’’ Gruden said. “They're both 6-foot-6, they both have really nice throwing motions and they both have a nice, compact stroke that just looks effortless. If you watch end-zone film of Flacco, there are times when you go, 'Wow!' when he snaps one off. I found myself saying the same with Glennon a few times."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/89064/grudens-scouting-report-on-mike-glennon

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
From his draft profile on NFL.com:

Analysis

Strengths:
Progress as a passer began to show in the final three games of the year, connecting on 65 percent of his throws for 274 yards a game, 11 touchdowns and just two picks in wins over Clemson, Maryland and Louisville in the Belk Bowl. Uses his height to see receivers running open in the short and medium ranges, making accurate throws to lead them into open areas after the catch. His long legs don’t prevent him from running a pro-style attack, as he seems able to work from under center and run bootlegs. Arm strength is certainly sufficient to distribute the ball all over the field, and he can place it between defenders over the middle when his target sits down in zones.

Weaknesses:
His average foot quickness will cause him issues trying to avoid defenders in a collapsing pocket. Tends to retreat instead of stepping up to deliver in the face of pressure -- though his arm gives him a chance to get the ball out of bounds or find an open target while still backpedalling. And while he has the arm and tight spiral to threaten defenses with the deep ball, his inconsistent accuracy and reading of coverages keep him from being efficient in the vertical game.

NFL Comparison: Joe Flacco

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Bradford is worth the #19, then Glennon is worth both firsts. I think he is already twice the QB Bradford is. I would give up a 2nd for him.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'd take Glennon in a heart beat, for a 3rd, conditional

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Adam Caplan at ESPN thinks he can be had for a 3rd round pick, according to his Twitter account from late February. To be fair, that was before we signed McCown (although I think he had been released already), so not sure the same price tag applies. Hell, we'll prolly have to use at least a 3rd if we want Bryce Petty - why not use it on a 25 year old that has started 19 games already?

(Hope I can use this link. If not, sorry.)
http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/2/25/8108947/browns-intrigued-by-bucs-qb-mike-glennon

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Was this guy benched for McCown? If so I say no. But, if it was due to injury, I would be willing to make the move, but for only a second or lower.

#gmstrong
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D

D
Legend
Legend
D
Glennon... eh.

If McCown weren't on the team, I'd be all about that. A trade for a very, very late round pick. IMO, he'd be better than our current array of QBs.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He suffers from what many QBs suffer from------inability to read coverages. His pocket presence is also a negative.

We're desperate, so who knows?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He's young so reading coverages is something he can learn in time. For a 4th rd pick he could be worth a shot even if it's just for a fill-in or a back-up in the future.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You can learn to read defenses, but you don't learn to read coverages.

Legend
Legend
So the Bucs draft Winston, why does it have to mean anything for Glennon other than being the number 2 or perhaps the starter if Winston doesn't catch on quickly enough.

At this point I'm not sure he's any better than what we have but if he's available (and not for a 1st or 2nd round pick) then it wouldn't make me angry to find out if he can be the bridge.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
You can learn to read defenses, but you don't learn to read coverages.

I don't think I know the difference - please expand.

Legend
Legend
Glennon sucks and his teammates hate him as a QB. You could see it all over their faces last year. Why bring in another guy to suck up practice reps who is no good? Not to mention giving up non-cash resources for him?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Reading defenses typically happens pre-snap. You can study a lot of film and learn the tendencies of defenses by their pre-snap alignments, down and distance, yard line, etc. Thus, you can exploit the defense.

Reading coverages happens after the snap. Many times, the defense will stay w/their typical coverage while aligning in a certain defense. However, there are other times where defenses disguise their coverage by giving an offense a pre-snap look, and then change their coverage at the snap. This is why you hear announcers and fans say----------"how did he not see that guy," or "where the heck was he throwing it."

Reading coverages is very difficult because things happen so fast. You have very fast players moving in all sorts of directions on various parts of the field and you have to decipher that in about 1.8 to 2.1 seconds while be rushed by gigantic men w/bad intentions. It would just be a blur for guys like you and I.

One word that you might want to look for when evaluating qbs is anticipation. If a guy is said to have good anticipation, he most likely is able to read coverages. If he doesn't throw w/anticipation, you probably want to stay away from him.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Great post, Vers. That is why Manning is such a lethal QB, he can do it all! I highly doubt there is many things he hasn't seen at some point in his career thrown his way.

Plus, and just between you and I, I think he has eyes all around his head and there are peepholes in his helmet so he sees the field in full 360 view laugh lol!!!!!!!!

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
His draft profile from NFL.com above mentions that he uses his height to spot receivers breaking open and throws to spots that lead them to open spots in the defense - that seems to hint at some "anticipatory" skills. Plus, you would think that a young QB with 19 starts would have a worse stat line with regard to his TD-Int ratio, but Glennon's is fairly respectable (29 TD / 15 Int). He does seem to have a problem stepping up in the pocket, but to be fair, his line was pretty bad at TB and he faced a lot of pressure straight up the gut (judging from a highlight vid I watched of his rookie season). He does have a terrific arm, which would be nice to see when the November-December winds are blowing by the lake. I think I'd offer a 4th and walk away if they want more.

Oh, and thanks for the lesson in reading D's vs coverages.

Last edited by Dave; 04/05/15 10:09 AM.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
JC

Not sure about Glennon, but I'm wondering about a similar situation with whichever team takes Mariota. I know Mariota might have to sit out a season.

Tennessee - Mettenberger?

Legend
Legend
Another way of saying what you're describing is pre-snap reads and post-snap reads. That makes natural sense to me on why one can be taught and another is much more difficult. It's a matter of brain processing power and a psychological ability to stay focused under pressure.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:
Glennon sucks and his teammates hate him as a QB. You could see it all over their faces last year. Why bring in another guy to suck up practice reps who is no good? Not to mention giving up non-cash resources for him?

I'm a little surprised at such a vehement reply from you, because you usually offer level-headed and well-considered opinions. What all don't you like about him?

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I would love to bring him in but I just don't see farmer putting him josh back on the same roster. Then again. ....it is the Browns

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
When you have Oneil Cousins as your starting RT, you're in trouble. Tampa's line was atrocious. Glennon threw some pretty passes but he's not very mobile. Behind our line I would take a flier on him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Behind our line? Even without Mac our OL was easily top 5 in pass protection. Perceived pressure by the QB is often very different than actual pressure and our QBs last year were not under pressure.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Providing we draft a nose tackle...I'd trade Phil Taylor straight up for Glennon...Taylor is a better 4-3 DT playing with McCoy and Spence inside would be good for him as well

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: slick
I would love to bring him in but I just don't see farmer putting him josh back on the same roster. Then again. ....it is the Browns

Haha very true!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I reread what i wrote. I was agreeing with you, it just didnt come out like that. Sorry dave.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: slick

But look at it this way: If McCown has accepted his role as a mentor/bridge QB, he would also understand that he's potentially the odd man out and expendable if it came down to it. It appears that at least for now his future is tied to Manziel's (or anyone we might pick up in the Draft).

I find the idea of Glennon in Cleveland a bit intriguing. He has the size and arm we're always saying we need in Cleveland. If we were to make a play for him, I wouldn't expect it to be before the Draft. If we don't draft a QB and he's available I wouldn't be surprised or mad if we did try to bring him in to the fold.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
If we were to make a play for him, I wouldn't expect it to be before the Draft.

Post-draft may be too late. I would expect a deal either pre-draft or during it. Tampa may wish to realize an immediate impact...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't see how things can be much worse than McCown, then I remember that Glennon got benched (twice) in favor of McCown.

No thanks.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I've seen Glennon play a few games more than just the ones Brown game..IMHO he's a step above what we have, then again that's not saying much...He can clearly see the passing windows which Manziel can't...he has a couple years under his belt...His accuracy is iffy sometimes, other times he's point on..Has a big arm, throws nice RPM balls down field with little effort...Needs to develop more touch on the flats and intermediate passes...I think his pocket awareness improves dramatically with Cleveland's Oline...as Mitchell Schwartz in Tampa would be considered a budding star compared to what they played with...Just a thought

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Glennon on the block?

Link Copied to Clipboard