Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
eotab #944096 04/06/15 12:40 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
To draft a kicker, I say we consult the meteorological service and find the windiest area in the United States. Pull all kicker prospects from that area and pick the guy with the highest percentage between 35 and 45 yards.

Reall,y I'm only half kidding.

eotab #944120 04/06/15 01:38 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If we didn't have five positions that need immediate attention I would gladly offer up the farm to move up and take Jameis Winston. I know that his character is a red-flag but that's just an immature college kid being an immature college kid. He doesn't appear to have cocaine and alcohol problems like Johnny does, and scouts rave about his leadership ability and high football I.Q. so I wouldn't hesitate to select him if we were in position to. Unfortunately it's of my own opinion that we need to draft a WR, OLB, NT, TE and RT at some point. If I were the GM my draft looks kind of like this....(assuming the guys I like are on the board).

#12 - Danny Shelton NT/Washington
#19 - Ereck Flowers RT/Miami

2nd Round - Jaelen Strong WR/Arizona State
3rd Round - Clive Walford TE/Miami
4th Round - Sean Mannion QB/Oregon State
4th Round - Markus Golden OLB/Missouri
5th Round - Gabe Wright DE/Auburn
6th Round - Jaleston Fowler FB/Alabama
6th Round - Greg Mancz C/Toledo
7th Round - Sam Ficken K/Penn State

Back to the original topic; place kicker and where to draft one.

This draft doesn't possess any Mason Crosby's or Sabastian Janikowski's (spelling?) so I'm not drafting one any higher than the 6th or 7th round. There will be plenty to invite to training camp to compete with Hartley. I do agree that we REALLY need to find a solid long term kicker though, I just don't really know which ones are draftable or when.

Last edited by MrKelso; 04/06/15 01:39 PM.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: The Beast
#1 need? A straight shooting owner - not a used car salesman.

The idiot we have now is a Daniel Snyder/Jerry Jones wanna be. SMH
Yes because any "idiot" can become a billionare and stay a billionare.. SMH

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MrKelso
Unfortunately it's of my own opinion that we need to draft a WR, OLB, NT, TE and RT at some point. If I were the GM my draft looks kind of like this....(assuming the guys I like are on the board).

WR - Bowe, Hartline, and Hawkins are a solid Corps, I would still look to someone in the 3rd - 4th round..
OLB - I think they are planning for a good year from Mingo.
NT - Phil Taylor.
RT - Mitchell Schwartz does not need replaced.
TE - This is the only position I think we need to upgrade, besides QB obviously..

Quote:

So what if Tampa says, for 12, 19, a 3rd this year, and a pick next year.. you can have Winston?

I take that, grab a TE in the 2nd, and replace Mannion in your draft with an OLB or WR..

My point is..

A QB as talented as Winston, makes us a better team, than using all the picks we give up to get him would..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
1day #944196 04/06/15 04:15 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 1day
Originally Posted By: The Beast
#1 need? A straight shooting owner - not a used car salesman.

The idiot we have now is a Daniel Snyder/Jerry Jones wanna be. SMH
Yes because any "idiot" can become a billionare and stay a billionare.. SMH

Exactly, he may still be a little raw and trying to find himself as an NFL owner, but he's hardly an idiot.

And Jerry Jones has owned the Cowboys for 26 years, made the playoffs 13 times, and won 3 super bowls... it would suck if we had that to look forward to over the next 2 1/2 decades.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I find I agree with both ThatGuy and MrKelso on many things, except Winston. You guys see him as an immature college kid who will grow out of his mis-behaviors. I see something far worse and predict an Aaron Hernandez career path. I don't care how talented he is, please keep him away from my team.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Unfortunately it's of my own opinion that we need to draft a WR, OLB, NT, TE and RT at some point. If I were the GM my draft looks kind of like this....(assuming the guys I like are on the board).

WR - Bowe, Hartline, and Hawkins are a solid Corps, I would still look to someone in the 3rd - 4th round..
OLB - I think they are planning for a good year from Mingo.
NT - Phil Taylor.
RT - Mitchell Schwartz does not need replaced.
TE - This is the only position I think we need to upgrade, besides QB obviously..

Quote:

So what if Tampa says, for 12, 19, a 3rd this year, and a pick next year.. you can have Winston?

I take that, grab a TE in the 2nd, and replace Mannion in your draft with an OLB or WR..

My point is..

A QB as talented as Winston, makes us a better team, than using all the picks we give up to get him would..

I appreciate the feedback and while I respect your opinion I slightly disagree.

Wide receiver - While I do agree that Hartline, Bowe and Hawkins wouldn't be the worst starting trio in the NFL, we're an injury away from being incredibly thin, and plus Bowe is going into his 9th season and isn't getting any younger. Adding a WR in the 1st or 2nd isn't necessarily a must, but yes we do have to add one somewhere in the draft.

Outside linebacker/pass rush - I have some level of faith that we can get production out of either Mingo, Armonty Bryant or even Scott Solomon but we still lack quality depth and there is no guarantee that Mingo ever "gets over the hump" as you might say. I certainly think edge pass rusher is a major possibility with one of our first two or three picks.

Nose Tackle - Phil Taylor is a gamble. I don't think he's stayed healthy an entire season in Cleveland. He's a disruptive player, but his stats don't really reflect it and with his injury history we absolutely need a quality nose tackle rotating with him. There is also no guarantee that he flourishes at nose tackle like many are predicting. He's going into a contract year also. Our run defense was absolutely terrible last year and it needs fixed. Adding Randy Starks won't suddenly mean our defensive line can stop the run.

Right Tackle - This is a 50/50 subject. Some people disagree that Schwartz is bad, while others like myself think he is bad. Schwartz is the weakest link on our offensive line. To me, he's an eye sore and he's always the guy getting beat and giving up pressure. Solid run blocker, below average pass blocker. I would love to draft his replacement in the first round. Move him inside to guard or make him our 6th man and let him walk after his rookie contract is over.

I do agree with you 100% about Jameis Winston, and if we do make a move to trade up and get him, I wouldn't complain one bit because you're correct, he's a really talented player who could probably start from day one and turn into a franchise guy. I'm not convinced that Ray Farmer will want to package a bunch of picks to move up for him though. Nothing I've read online indicates that type of move maybe an option.

If I were the general manager, and I felt good about the rest of the roster, I would trade #12, #19, 3rd round pick & next years 1st round pick for Winston, but I honestly don't feel that great about the rest of the roster. At least not the five positions I named off.

Last edited by MrKelso; 04/06/15 04:26 PM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I find I agree with both ThatGuy and MrKelso on many things, except Winston. You guys see him as an immature college kid who will grow out of his mis-behaviors. I see something far worse and predict an Aaron Hernandez career path. I don't care how talented he is, please keep him away from my team.

That's almost offensively harsh.

What about his maturity issues gives you idea that he's gang affiliated and capable of murder?

Most college kids are immature, the only difference is guys like Winston almost constantly have cell phones and cameras pointed at them.

Last edited by MrKelso; 04/06/15 04:25 PM.

Legend
Legend
I'm not necessarily worried about Winston messing up because he's "destined for trouble"

But instead I may question his love for football, and how much he really will push to better himself as a QB. Does he care about putting the work in to be a great QB, or is he just interested in being an "NFL QB"

I had the same worries about Cam Newton and Manziel.

Winston is clearly more towards Newton in talent, if not better. If he focuses on the game, he can be great.

If he can go to a "solid team" (Houston, Buffalo, and yes, Us..) he can win right away IMO.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

That's almost offensively harsh.

What about his maturity issues gives you idea that he's gang affiliated and capable of murder?

Most college kids are immature, the only difference is guys like Winston almost constantly have cell phones and cameras pointed at them.

I totally agree... The last thing we need on this team is another immature player, who is a primadonna, with no self control, and would rather be justin Bieber instead of Peyton Manning.

Manziel, Gilbert, Gordon, are enough bad seeds we dont need more.

eotab #944533 04/07/15 02:01 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe the K position is very important. We have lost games, three that I can think of just last year, because our K sucks!

Of course I felt that way when Phil left so nothing has changed here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Justin Manton, K, Louisiana Monroe
Height: 6-2. Weight: 196.
Projected Round (2015): 5-7.
3/28/15: Manton played at the Senior Bowl after being the kicker and the punter for the Warhawks. He averaged 42 yards per punt in 2014, with his best mark being 46 yards per punt in 2013. As a place kicker in 2014, Manton was 20-of-24 on field goal attempts, including 2-for-2 at 50+ and 3-of-5 in the 40-yard range.

Kyle Brindza, K, Notre Dame
Height: 6-1. Weight: 236.
Projected Round (2014): 6-FA.
3/28/15: Brindza was 14-for-24 in 2014. He made five-of-eight in the 40-yard range with a long of 48 yards.

8/27/14: Brindza was 20-for-26 on his field goal attempts (77 percent) in 2013. He made three-of-four from 50 yards. Brindza missed two kicks in the 40s and one in the 30s. In his first season (2011) of action for the Fighting Irish, he handled kickoffs. Brindza took over field goal duties in 2012 and was good on 23-of-31 attempts. The sophomore showed his leg strength with a long field goal of 52 yards.

Michael Hunnicutt, K, Oklahoma
Height: 6-1. Weight: 180.
Projected Round (2015): 6-FA.
3/28/15: In 2014, Hunnicutt was 13-of-18 with a long of 44 yards. He missed field goals from 32 and 19 yards in Oklahoma's one-point loss to Kansas State.

8/27/14: In 2013, Hunnicutt was 24-of-27 on his field goal attempts. He missed his only attempt over 50 yards, but made both kicks from over 40 yards.

Hunnicutt was a reliable kicker for the Sooners in the 2011 and 2012 seasons. He has made 84.4 percent of his field goal tries so far in his career. Hunnicutt was true on 21-of-24 attempts as a freshman with a long of 53 yards. He also made 55-of-56 extra points. In 2012, Hunnicutt made 17-of-21 field goal attempts with a long of 45 yards. He was 57-of-59 on extra points.

Trevor Romaine, K, Oregon State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 199.
Projected Round (2015): 7-FA.
3/28/15: Romaine missed the first two games of 2014 because he was academically ineligible. Romaine made eight-of-nine attempts with a long of 49 yards for the year. His miss came in the 30-yard range.

8/27/14: Romaine was 14-of-20 in 2013. The junior made one kick from 50+ and missed another. Romaine has some leg strength and showed good accuracy in 2012 as he made 16-of-18 attempts. His long field goal was 45 yards. However, Romaine missed three extra points in 54 attempts. He was 15-of-22 on his field goal tries in 2011.

Ty Long, K, UAB
Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.
Projected Round (2015): 7-FA.
3/28/15: Long was a solid 13-for-17 in 2014 with six-of-seven in the 40-yard range.

8/27/14: In 2013, Long was 16-of-24 field goals. However he was 3-for-5 from 50 or more yards while being 2-for-5 from 40+. Long made 82.4 percent of his field goals in 2012. The sophomore was 14-of-17 with a school record of a 54-yard field goal. He also hit on a 53-yarder. Long made 84.2 percent (16-19) of his field goals in 2011.

Well just 5 to kick around wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #944615 04/07/15 05:15 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I know even less about the K position than I do any other.

Every other position is reliant on the talent around them. Is the same true for K's? My point is, if the K special teams OL is bad at blocking does that effect the K'er? I don't think the K should be distracted by the defense's rush, but with a bad OL they very well could be causing inaccurate kicks.

Is there any truth to any of that? Could a bad K'er behind a bad OL become a good K'er behind a good OL?

#gmstrong
eotab #944618 04/07/15 06:01 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only effect the line would really have is whether or not a kick gets blocked. As far as affecting the actual kick it's primarily just the long snapper, holder, and kicker. Timing and ball placement are important.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
eotab #944651 04/07/15 10:14 PM
Legend
Legend
the guy from south florida ain't bad.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Our real #1 NEED!

Link Copied to Clipboard