Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I am okay w/bringing him in. It probably can't hurt, but you never know about this guy.

I don't think he has the discipline and sharp cutting ability to run effective routes at WR.

But again, no loss in bringing him in unless he publically embarrasses us.

so he can replace josh gordon just fine?

well this pretty much sums up josh.

"I don't think he has the discipline and sharp cutting ability to run effective routes at WR."

athletic ability is there, with a good chance of publically embarrasses us.

describe josh to a tee.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Serious question.

Do you really think blocking is simply a matter of "wanting to?"

You might want to drop this one and I am not saying that in a mean way.

Agree with you on this one.

Blocking is a technique that has to be taught and takes years to perfect...

Asking a career QB to learn to do it in a few months is asking a lot, and expecting him to be good at it right off the bat is being unrealistic.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Legend
Legend
Serious question.

Do you really think blocking is simply a matter of "wanting to?"

You might want to drop this one and I am not saying that in a mean way.

I'm asking because I've read it (he can't block) several times so far today and it's stated as fact. I'm saying it can't be fact if we've never even seen him try.

As far as simply wanting to block being enough, I doubt that the willingness alone is enough to accomplish the task.

I don't even know if he has the willingness to try. But there is no denying that he's a physical guy so from the pure physical stand point, he's got those tools. From the Desire or Mental aspect, I don't know and have no reference point to state as fact that he can or can't block.

As for you not saying it in a mean way, That would be a first! The question was worded in a fashion as to get a "gotcha" kinda thing going on.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
A PR move to beef up the game in Columbus. The guy gets cut a week after the4 scrimmage.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't trying to get you. I was trying to gently let you know that you are way off base. There is a lot going on w/TEs in regards to blocking.

I will expand on this if someone else really wants to learn from it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Swish
so......what if this guy replaces Cameron at the TE spot? i mean they have similar stats as far as body height/weight, and Pryor is faster.

That would be nasty!!

And people thought Cameron was a horrible blocker. . .

I don't get this? Why do you think he'd be a terrible blocker,, Have you ever seen him in a position to have to block?

You don't think it's safe to assume that players who haven't blocked ever in their entire life can't block?

I would be shocked if he could ever block.

Legend
Legend
well cameron was trash at blocking. he might as well not have.

so not much difference IMO.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
No Swish. There is a big difference. Cameron blocked more than most realized. Again, I am not saying he was good at it, but he was used as a blocker more than you think.

I think the thing people are not looking at is that the TE is an extension of the OL. Sure, guys like Cameron are more of a receiver, but they still have to be part of the blocking scheme.

These guys have to know how to area block, base block, gap block, seal block, etc. It's even more complicated in the ZBS. The techniques are rather sophisticated. The choreography is huge!!!! You just don't step in and block because you are want to or have size or have athletic ability.

There is a LOT more to it than what people think.

C
Legend
Legend
C
well cameron was trash at blocking. he might as well not
have.

There is a 0% chance Pryor is better at blocking than Cameron.

I don't even know why this is being discussed anyway, Pryor is being looked at as a receiver.

Videos of Pryor working out at wide receiver:

Link

Link

Link

C
Legend
Legend
C
Even just slowing a rusher down. If you are a great receiving threat like Cameron was, you don't have to be a good blocker. THERE IS ALMOST NO ONE IN THE LEAGUE WHO EXCELS AT BOTH.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I just watched the vids you provided.

It's an even longer shot that he makes it than I thought.

Stiff hips. Rounds his cuts. Not the quick-twitch muscles that I like to see in WRs.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
well cameron was trash at blocking. he might as well not
have.

There is a 0% chance Pryor is better at blocking than Cameron.

I don't even know why this is being discussed anyway, Pryor is being looked at as a receiver.

Videos of Pryor working out at wide receiver:

Link

Link

Link

Not much to see there, long shot stbest

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Two things come to mind from this:

The Browns should ask for a practice squad eligibility exception for a declared-by-the-player position switch;

Braxton Miller's handlers should be taking notes.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Even just slowing a rusher down. If you are a great receiving threat like Cameron was, you don't have to be a good blocker. THERE IS ALMOST NO ONE IN THE LEAGUE WHO EXCELS AT BOTH.

Outside of Gronk and maybe Jason Witten, I can't name any that are elite at both.

Good call.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was always told blocking is 90% desire 10%technique. The guys that are great blockers love to block. The guys that suck at blocking generally put no effort into it. I believe this to be more than true.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He looks like an athletic TE running a route, he doesnt look like a receiver running a route.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Obviously desire is important, but you were told wrong. A TE is an inline blocker. He must be in sync w/the rest of the OL. He must know who to double, who to single, who to chip block and then attack at the second level. He must be able to get his feet moving perfectly w/the tackle when you are area blocking on the backside. He must learn the proper footwork to gap block. He needs to know to keep his chest over his thighs while pass blocking. There are all kinds of nuances w/the feet and arms, positioning of your head, etc. Additionally, you have to recognize all the blitz packages, since you are the guy on the outside.

Blocking for a TE is not a simple thing.

Legend
Legend
I think his only chance to make the team this year is if he can impress on special teams.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Does anyone see a little of Josh Cribbs in Pryor?

Legend
Legend
Cribbs the WR?

or Cribbs that could do a bit of everything and help us win?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
All of it.

He might be a good KO return guy. He might be able to come in and run some gimmick [maybe not the right word] plays at qb, coming in motion, quick screens, fly routes, etc.

I don't think he'll make it as a WR because he is such a long strider, but if could carve out a role that is similar to Cribbs, than he can help us.

E
Legend
Legend
E
What?

Almost positive that was a joke Vers.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Does anyone see a little of Josh Cribbs in Pryor?

Yes

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Blocking is a technique that has to be taught and takes years to perfect...

That statement is wrong in many ways.
As for Vers I'm not quite sure what he meant. I'm just going to put this out there and if there is disagreement on anything I state please do so.

1. Outside of some Kickers/Punters every football player on a roster has the Skill set needed to become a good blocker. We aren't talking about catching the ball, throwing it. I'm talking skill set to become a good blocker.

2. Of course there is technique that is needed but for the most part it does not take YEARS to perfect it. Months yes, years no.

3. Of course blocking from different position groups have a little different technique. Possibly the most difficult would be for FB and/or RB as there is a certain skill set of VISION required.

4. But in the NFL unlike other levels you cannot go through the motions and have limited success...you will have failure. This is where the WILL to block is important. If you don't "ALLOW" yourself to Love blocking there is no way you can become a good blocker in the NFL. You have to have Satisfaction in that job...and if you consider as just a burden of your job...you will suck at blocking. Why I get upset about this guy or that guy being a bad blocker. There is not ONE FOOTBALL Player who is simply physically Cannot block.

5. IN no way am I saying you don't have to practice it. Learn leverage, angles, footwork so you block with your body and not upper half cause then you will hold!

Again I would teach different position groups differently. WRs....I would bring basketball into it. My first objective is to get the footwork involved so that I would step ONE have them Shadow block. Like most things in football you have to lay the foundation first. Then add to it.

Same with blocking but it doesn't take YEARS to learn. If a WR is willing and dedicated I can get him blocking within months. For them its job #1 DON'T GET A FLAG...they are on an Island and if they try to block and didn't put the work in...HOLD usually.

I could go on and on...but I hope I explained this thought process involved. But let me tell you this. ANY football players who truly wishes to block and perfect it. Can do so and within a pretty quick time frame. RBs and FBs as lead blockers probably have the toughest task cause there has to be vision and quick decisions involved. Sometimes the QB will make that decision for them. And yes I'm talking position groups outside of OL - OL a lot of technique that must become reaction and not a thought process. OL total different story.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We claimed Pryor as a WR? Does this mean Gabriel is no longer "hungry"? poke

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Chek out this touchdwn pass caght by Pryor lined up as a WR for OSU.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrZYZktLdns>

Last edited by Day of the Dawg; 06/25/15 04:34 PM.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

Nice leaping ability..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

Dang I seriously forgot all about that play! Cheers for the link.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I seriously thought back then that he was a better WR than QB. At the college level he would have been an absolute stud receiver. Still could be if he puts in the work to be good.

If he can make the transition this season he could be a legit red zone threat with his height, size, and athletic ability. He could also be used on wide receiver screens and reverses to get him the ball in space. And, trick plays because he does have ability to throw the ball.

I could see a hand off reverse to Pryor with Manziel leaking out for a reverse pass. A throw back laterial pass to Pryor with a WR streaking down the field for Pryor to hit.

The Steelers used plays like that with Hines Ward for years to open up their offense. Pryor's running ability will forse defenses to respect him as a ball carrier and attract defense's attention.

If he works hard on the switch this pick up of Pryor could end up being a huge get for the Browns. He is an elite athlete that did not work out at QB but that athletism he has can not be ignored.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
Physical skills are evident, stuff between his ears could be problem. I have no idea if he has the Desire, but if he does and applies himself, we could have a winner on the Cheap.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd keep him at QB and let him compete there. He knows the offense from his time in Oakland. We have huge questions at QB. Why not let him have a shot at it as well....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
All Pro
All Pro
If he can carve out a role as #5 WR/gadget play guy, I'm all for it. That far down the totem pole, and you're usually looking at a project-type, anyway. This is probably the best destination for Pryor on all fronts right now. We have arguably the weakest WR unit in the league, and I'd trust him to start a game at QB over Manziel or Connor Shaw in a pinch.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That final receiver spot could come down to Mayle, Benjamin and Pryor unless I'm forgetting someone? I think it's safe to say that Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins and Gabriel are locks to be the top four, right?

Legend
Legend
Yes I'd call Gabriel a lock

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Yeah it looks like it's going to be very tough for Pryor to make it, other than Farmer's insistence we have one 6'4" wideout on the roster at all times.

V
Legend
Legend
V
steve: GM brought up something earlier that got me to thinking. GM said that Pryor was going to have to make the team by doing well on special teams, or something like that.

I was thinking......"What?" But, then it came to me.......Pryor as a latter day version of Cribbs. Kick-off returner; [probably not a punt returner;] WR who runs some bubble screens, some fades in the redzone, some fly patterns; lining up at QB a few times a year; coming in motion and either getting the hand-off or faking it to him to freeze the defense for an instant, etc.

I can actually see that.

What do you think?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Yeah it looks like it's going to be very tough for Pryor to make it, other than Farmer's insistence we have one 6'4" wideout on the roster at all times.

did we have one six four last year? for that matter did we have more than one over five ten?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Gordon.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Gordon.

the way he played i wouldnt call him a reciever or for that matter a nfl player.

Legend
Legend
steve: GM brought up something earlier that got me to thinking. GM said that Pryor was going to have to make the team by doing well on special teams, or something like that.

I was thinking......"What?" But, then it came to me.......Pryor as a latter day version of Cribbs. Kick-off returner; [probably not a punt returner;] WR who runs some bubble screens, some fades in the redzone, some fly patterns; lining up at QB a few times a year; coming in motion and either getting the hand-off or faking it to him to freeze the defense for an instant, etc.

I can actually see that.

What do you think?

When we signed him I said that I thought that he could have a spot as a "weapon". With Flip's desire to line players up all over the field, having a guy like Pryor could be interesting, and open up some interesting plays. (especially trickeration) wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns claim Terrelle Pryor

Link Copied to Clipboard