Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'll ask you to turn on your self proclaimed reading comprehension skills and bear with me....

Quote:
I have no real opinion on this
= I have no real opinion on this.

Quote:
but it looked like he grabbed her wrist because he noticed that fist was clenched raring to go. Oddly enough, she then clenched her other free hand and swung.
= Addressing his decision making process for doing what he did. I do not believe I condoned this action but was trying to break down the video from what I saw as I was one of the first posters to comment on this thread.

Then there is a comment from a poster suggesting not understanding defending the FSU player. My response..."I don't think anyone is." Anyone includes me.

My third post addresses the innocence of the female where I disagree and suggested her negative role from the beginning. However, it does not acquit the FSU player for his actions either.

Are there any other questions?

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, why are you blaming the woman and defending the guy who hit her? smirk

M
Legend
Legend
M
[quote=Versatile Dog]Yes, why are you blaming the woman and defending the guy who hit her? smirk [/quote}

Oh. I see. You're just trolling again. Have fun with that.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
I looked at the video again, and agree she makes a fist, so I looked again. And notice she spins around mad right off the bat, and says something to him. Is it possible he snuck in for a cheap feel?

That was my first thought as well. She spun around like someone grabbed her butt. Of course that isnt seen in the frame and is speculation

#brownsgoodkarma
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
She threw the first punch, why is this not self defense?

Because he was restraining her, and pretty aggressively at that. That was out of line on his part.

Yeah she raised her fist but it was pretty lame and we don't know what happened before the video (read: I don't really know what to make of it.)

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
The girl is a scumbag for calling him that, but you gotta walk away man.

No excuse for it.

How do we even know what she said? Johnson's lawyer said it. I obviously have no idea how things went down but it's predictable for his lawyer to downplay/justify his client's behavior as much as possible.

D
Legend
Legend
D
The way she wheeled around when he was still behind her made me think he had made contact with her backside, and her belligerent affect made me think it was an ass grab. It also appeared that they either knew each other, or maybe had had some kind of negative encounter earlier in the evening. When he grabbed her clenched fist, it looks like he might also have grabbed a hank of her hair. When he pushed her back with his right forearm, she (rightfully, imo) tried to defend herself with a really weak, pawing left jab that grazed him. He responded with a roundhouse right that could have broken her jaw. It was punk move. We don't hit women, DeAndre. Hope they throw the book at him.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dave
The way she wheeled around when he was still behind her made me think he had made contact with her backside, and her belligerent affect made me think it was an ass grab. It also appeared that they either knew each other, or maybe had had some kind of negative encounter earlier in the evening. When he grabbed her clenched fist, it looks like he might also have grabbed a hank of her hair. When he pushed her back with his right forearm, she (rightfully, imo) tried to defend herself with a really weak, pawing left jab that grazed him. He responded with a roundhouse right that could have broken her jaw. It was punk move. We don't hit women, DeAndre. Hope they throw the book at him.

pretty much how I saw it too... and yet we have some blaming the victim and what a surprise to bring out the racial slur card.... that no one can disprove... classic.

As if being called a name makes it ok to grab ,push and punch a woman... I notice he disappeared too...

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Look the guy was wrong, wrong, wrong, with what he did, But she was not blame less in the whole thing. She should have never taken the first swing and he should have walked away from her.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I see two drunk people. My thoughts: He was trying to get in line for a drink, she playfully said something to the tune of "Hey man, I'm next". He was drunk and didn't laugh it off and wait his turn, instead he felt threatened and grabbed her fist. Perhaps she then felt threatened and has been listening to too many Katy Perry and Kelly Clarkson songs, and in her drunken state of mind, tried punching him - thinking she would hurt him or he would walk away. - Neither happened and because he was drunk also and probably has a few older sisters that have beaten him up plenty of times, he cracked her in the face. She was lucky this was in a bar because she would not have stood a chance against this guy. Both people were drunk, and both people acted like idiots. However, she clearly swung first and hopefully learned a lesson.

I'd suspend him for six games, again because she swung first. I'd tell him that anymore alcohol related infractions will result from dismissal from the team.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, that is a lot of speculating.

Legend
Legend

Because she had at least an equal part in the verbal altercation, she got out of her seat and got in his face, she raised her fist first, she swung first.

I'm all for chivalry but if you want me to treat you like a lady... then act like one.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
And if you are a man, act like one. No reason whatsoever to punch her in the face. ZERO!!!

Legend
Legend
And if you are a man, act like one. No reason whatsoever to punch her in the face. ZERO!!!

I agree for the most part... I said in my very first post, and will stand by it, neither side was right in this encounter or handled it well... so if somebody calls out one side and gives the appearance the other side was not a contributor, then I'm going to point that out.

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

I agree for the most part... I said in my very first post, and will stand by it, neither side was right in this encounter or handled it well... so if somebody calls out one side and gives the appearance the other side was not a contributor, then I'm going to point that out.

I can agree with you that both sides hold some responsibility.
But I want to touch on something that you said earlier, and that others seem to use as the "She deserved it" PoV.

Quote:
She needs to own some of the responsibility.. (I've seen a version of this that goes back a few more seconds, she nudges up to the bar first, before he does) She raises her hand into an aggressive position first, he grabs the hand, she smacks him with the other hand, then he hits her.. neither side behaved well here.

She may have raised her hand in what appeared as an aggressive position, BUT he did make first physical interaction by grabbing her wrists.

I don't care who they are or what they think I am doing, if they grab me and try to restrain me, they better count on me taking a swing, or whatever, to free/defend myself.

Someone making a fist does not give anyone else the right to restrain someone.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Then again, by raising her hand and clinching a fist, he had a reasonable expectation she was going to strike him. That was obviously what he thought since he did grab her hand to prevent that from happening. The first aggressive move was hers, not his, unless you go with the grabbed her butt theory which isn't visible.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I guess you never watched cops or Jail. You made a fist and they are taking you down HARD. brownie

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Yep! Any sign of aggression won't be tolerated. And if you spit, it's almost even worse.

F
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

I guess you never watched cops or Jail. You made a fist and they are taking you down HARD. brownie

True, signs of aggression against authority, don't usually end up well for the aggressor. smile

As a guy, I have had an encounter with an angry woman who made a fist at me. I did not grab her, I just put my hand up to defend if she threw the punch.

I should have slugged her though, B was in the express lane with 30 items, and having to remove items from the total because she didn't have enough money on her card.

Legend
Legend

But I want to touch on something that you said earlier, and that others seem to use as the "She deserved it" PoV.

Quote:
She needs to own some of the responsibility.. (I've seen a version of this that goes back a few more seconds, she nudges up to the bar first, before he does) She raises her hand into an aggressive position first, he grabs the hand, she smacks him with the other hand, then he hits her.. neither side behaved well here.

She may have raised her hand in what appeared as an aggressive position, BUT he did make first physical interaction by grabbing her wrists.

I don't care who they are or what they think I am doing, if they grab me and try to restrain me, they better count on me taking a swing, or whatever, to free/defend myself.

So if you are in a verbal altercation with somebody and they raise their fist in an aggressive fashion and it's crowded so it's not easy to just walk away, you would just stand there until they hit you before you did anything?

I've been in this discussion before on this board, maybe not with you personally, but it has seemed to me that when a bigger male athlete hits a woman who was being aggressive (as was the case with Ray Rice) one of the first things many of the guys on here say is... wait for it... WHY DIDN'T HE JUST RESTRAIN HER?

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
F

Quote:

So if you are in a verbal altercation with somebody and they raise their fist in an aggressive fashion and it's crowded so it's not easy to just walk away, you would just stand there until they hit you before you did anything?

I've been in this discussion before on this board, maybe not with you personally, but it has seemed to me that when a bigger male athlete hits a woman who was being aggressive (as was the case with Ray Rice) one of the first things many of the guys on here say is... wait for it... WHY DIDN'T HE JUST RESTRAIN HER?

Quote:
you would just stand there until they hit you before you did anything?

I did say put my hands up to defend. If we are in a position where you can't walk away, she isn't going to get much power into a punch even if it did land.

Even so, a simple "Oh I'm sorry" after bumping into someone, does a hell of a lot to diffuse a situation.

As far as the Rice thing, I think the scenario was she WAS hitting him, he SHOULD have restrained her at that point to protect himself, not hit her.

I was raised to believe hitting a woman is NEVER an option.

Short of fearing for your life, you just don't hit a woman.

Queue up the "What if she was hitting you with a baseball bat, while you were tied up, covered in tar and lit on fire" extreme scenarios. smile

Legend
Legend

Queue up the "What if she was hitting you with a baseball bat, while you were tied up, covered in tar and lit on fire" extreme scenarios. smile

I hope it was an aluminum bat. I'd hate to see her ruin a perfectly good wood bat via fire.

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
Actually by court of Law he was the aggressor - He got into her space he physically shoved her with his right arm making her turn around and like a dumb ass she got all I don't know what but not Lady like. Now that punch he took wouldn't have hurt Pee Wee Herman. Only a coward would hit a woman. He was clearly the dick not looking for a fight but he shoved her...she over reacted he could have defused it by saying he was sorry who knows what he said - She did not act like a lady for sure. Possibly a slap in the face back...not a freaking cold cock on a drunken lady no less. Maybe she lost a tooth or two in the process also.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
Actually by court of Law he was the aggressor - He got into her space he physically shoved her with his right arm making her turn around and like a dumb ass she got all I don't know what but not Lady like. Now that punch he took wouldn't have hurt Pee Wee Herman. Only a coward would hit a woman. He was clearly the dick not looking for a fight but he shoved her...she over reacted he could have defused it by saying he was sorry who knows what he said - She did not act like a lady for sure. Possibly a slap in the face back...not a freaking cold cock on a drunken lady no less. Maybe she lost a tooth or two in the process also.

jmho

Eo, I just disagree with your assessment. Here is the video I mentioned earlier that has a lot more of the lead up... as I see it

Web Link

- They get to the open spot at the bar at the same time, she's ahead of him by a little bit.
- He appears to be polite to the other woman as he tries to get to the bar.
- This woman turns over her shoulder and says something that appears to be sarcastic or derogatory.
- She is pushing back against him to prevent him from getting to the bar.
- His hands are both under the bar when she turns and gets in his face
- Then she raises her hand like she's going to hit him.....

So look, I still maintain that he's wrong for hitting her, but just about everything else, the mouthing off, the physical threat, and the confrontation... she kept escalating it.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Even so, a simple "Oh I'm sorry" after bumping into someone, does a hell of a lot to diffuse a situation.

As far as this goes, I honestly don't see him being impolite.... I sure would love to know what was being said, that would go a long way in helping me reach a more definitive conclusion.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
I really think you should watch the video again. She was no threat. She had her fist up, but hooking her thumb, as in ...I was here first. He grabbed her wrists, she resisted weakly, he then launched a right cross into her face.

He's a freaking punk!

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I really think you should watch the video again. She was no threat.

I've watched the video multiple times, slowed it down, watched it again... I'm pretty comfortable with what I saw. If that's not how you see it, that's cool.

Quote:
She had her fist up, but hooking her thumb, as in ...I was here first. He grabbed her wrists, she resisted weakly, he then launched a right cross into her face.

Which part is her hitting him? Hooking the thumb or resisted weakly?

Quote:
He's a freaking punk!

Maybe, and she's a total bitch.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
All I know is that if I were in that situation, there would be no way I throw a punch like that.

We can agree to disagree on this one.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
[quote]And I LOL every time I see somebody comment that we should be concerned that an under aged 19 year old was in a college bar.. really?

You and me both buddy... The fact that people support the 21-year-old drinking limit is insane, let alone the fact they think someone that age will follow it...

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
All I know is that if I were in that situation, there would be no way I throw a punch like that.

We can agree to disagree on this one.

We don't really have to disagree as I probably wouldn't have thrown it either.... I've just been making the point that it's not like he hit a totally innocent little girl.. she was involved, she was provoking.. and she hit him first.

I would add that I probably would not have found myself in that situation, over my college career I was in similar bars probably thousands of times and never once got into an altercation like that with a girl or a guy... and yes I got bumped into, I bumped into others, a beer might have been spilled, once in a while a rude comment was made, but I was always able to ignore it, or apologize, or walk away, or, if I was the guy that spilled another guys beer, buy him another one.... in this situation, one or the other (but probably both) took a normal every day occurrence in a bar and, rather than let it die, they escalated it.... one of them needed to just turn around and let it go... and if you are the guy with a football career on the line, he needs to know that.

yebat' Putin
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, from real old school guy, use to be upper 1/3 or half of HS graduates went to college, our societies wiser/smarter half...it says something when society expects people to break the law...nobody follows them right...as parent, do you really want your 19yr old in a packed bar...equality, she deserved it...she FOR SURE screwed up, but if that was your sister, daughter, does what he did not make your blood boil...and media pays its part by cutting to his "unprovoked punch" and lawyers get involved- he's doing charity work,etc.,etc...he shouldn't have been in bar, he shouldn't have been ordering drinks and pushing his way up AND race did play a factor, cuz he's black and she's white....hope he gets another chance, but probably won't be at FSU cuz they have damage control to do over their just departed Heisman winner- a reflection of the best in our society....like Bill Crosby.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum FSU quarterback punching woman at a bar

Link Copied to Clipboard